Half-term 'school holiday' cruise has been cancelled.

Bgees

Well, having looked at the P&O rules for travelling (adults double jabbed, children not jabbed have to take PCR test, etc) we booked the advertised school break holiday for 23rd October.

However, it appears that children are not allowed on the school holiday cruise anymore as we have just received an email from P&O saying that they have assumed that our children are not fully vaccinated and have cancelled our cruise.

This means that three weeks before the cruise they are changing the rules regarding who can travel and are cancelling holiday with that short notice.

Our children though are double vaccinated and so can travel but the question I have is should they? As you know, it is impossible to actually talk to anyone at customer services as they just cut you off when trying to call them so I can't find out if there are going to be other children on board or whether the teens/kids clubs are going to be open. If they are not, then it is not really going to be much of a holiday for them as P&O don't provide any facilities for younger cruisers outside the clubs.

Is anyone else in this situation or have any thoughts. Should we take them or should we just get our refund. (I would not take FCC from P&O as we will never cruise with them again.

37 minutes ago, Bgees said:

so I can't find out if there are going to be other children on board or whether the teens/kids clubs are going to be open.

It would be a brave cruise company that ran teens/kids clubs with the high risk for cross infection between the children then passing on to other more elderly passengers in their party (vaccinated or not). 

But then P&O have not said that any of their children's facilities are closed, only saying what they are and what the children can do in them. It would be the same if they decided to close all the lounges but still told people all about them.

Just now, Bin man said:

Bgees where were you going on your cruise ? Reading the rules to me it's for the carrabian cruises all other cruises it can be a pcr test if  children not vaccinated as it was or if I  have I got it wrong I stand corrected .

Northern Europe. The email makes no mention of the PCR test, only that they are cancelling.

As you're travelling with guests aged 17 or younger that exceed our capacity limit of unvaccinated guests, we've made the assumption they won't have completed their vaccination course before your holiday and will be unable to travel. Regrettably, we are going to have to cancel your booking. 

4 minutes ago, crazy cat lady 83 said:

We are on the Iona half term cruise. Me and my husband are double jabbed and my children are not (11 and 9) 

I will await an email. Talk about leaving it last minute 🙄

I have seen this on the P&O website. May be you wil be allowed on board due to the timing/numbers cap.

The current vaccination policy for our international cruises departing from Southampton has been extended until the end of March 2022 but our reduced occupancy on board, coupled with the Covid-19 protocols, has made it necessary to limit the numbers of unvaccinated guests on a selected number of sailings between September 2021 to March 2022.  We are so sorry for the change to these bookings and the disappointment caused.

Why are you cancelling my booking, but my friends can still travel?

Bookings were cancelled according to vaccination status and date booked. 

13 minutes ago, Bgees said:

I have seen this on the P&O website. May be you wil be allowed on board due to the timing/numbers cap.

The current vaccination policy for our international cruises departing from Southampton has been extended until the end of March 2022 but our reduced occupancy on board, coupled with the Covid-19 protocols, has made it necessary to limit the numbers of unvaccinated guests on a selected number of sailings between September 2021 to March 2022.  We are so sorry for the change to these bookings and the disappointment caused.

Why are you cancelling my booking, but my friends can still travel?

Bookings were cancelled according to vaccination status and date booked. 

Presumably if your children are vaccinated then your cruise could be reinstated. P&O are not saying that no unvaccinated children can sail, but they have set a limit on the number of unvaccinated passengers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Bgees said:

But then P&O have not said that any of their children's facilities are closed, only saying what they are and what the children can do in them. It would be the same if they decided to close all the lounges but still told people all about them.

https://www.pocruises.com/cruise-with-confidence#faq

Looks like I’m also affected by this on my future cruise. It also affects all family Christmas cruises.

There was no warning of this, some very upset staff and guests.

For transparency, all staff bookings were cancelled ahead of any guest bookings but that was still not ‘enough’.

What is not clear is why they didn’t stop selling when they hit their unvaccinated limit. Crazy. Stupid.

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

Looks like I’m also affected by this on my future cruise. It also affects all family Christmas cruises.

There was no warning of this, some very upset staff and guests.

For transparency, all staff bookings were cancelled ahead of any guest bookings but that was still not ‘enough’.

What is not clear is why they didn’t stop selling when they hit their unvaccinated limit. Crazy. Stupid.

How long have they had the limit? There are reports that they were forced into this??? Someone has posted elsewhere that a court decision forced them into this, reportedly this came from the company?????

We have now completed the form that allows (hopefully) our holiday to continue. Halfway down the email there is this line:

If all guests on the booking will be fully vaccinated at least 14 days prior to sailing, please complete this web form by 6 October 2021 to confirm and your booking will remain in place.

Hopefully this will mean that we can still get the holiday as planned. Friends have just come off the IOna (13th Sept cruise) and gave us their copies of Hoprizon. There appears to be enough qizzes to keep us happy

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Bgees said:

We have now completed the form that allows (hopefully) our holiday to continue. Halfway down the email there is this line:

If all guests on the booking will be fully vaccinated at least 14 days prior to sailing, please complete this web form by 6 October 2021 to confirm and your booking will remain in place.

Hopefully this will mean that we can still get the holiday as planned. Friends have just come off the IOna (13th Sept cruise) and gave us their copies of Hoprizon. There appears to be enough qizzes to keep us happy

I’ll keep everything crossed. Please keep us informed. 

22 minutes ago, Bgees said:

Sounds like you should be able to go then.  Not that it helps others travelling with children who have not been double vaccinated, at least there was some recognition and a procedure in place for people to confirm that children are in fact double vaccinated.

Edited by Son of Anarchy

44 minutes ago, Son of Anarchy said:

Sounds like you should be able to go then.  Not that it helps others travelling with children who have not been double vaccinated, at least there was some recognition and a procedure in place for people to confirm that children are in fact double vaccinated.

Anyone travelling with a 12-15yr old should be fully vaccinated by the christmas cruises, and some could yet qualify for Oct half term.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Anyone travelling with a 12-15yr old should be fully vaccinated by the christmas cruises, and some could yet qualify for Oct half term.

Children in the 12 to 15 age group are only having one vaccination and therefore don't meet P and O 's double vaccination requirement unfortunately

4 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

I thought they were having the Jansen 1 dose vaccine, is that not the case?

You may be correct.I read on another site that some parents said because their children were only having one jab they wouldn't be able to cruise.Sorry if I am wrong

3 hours ago, ann141 said:

You may be correct.I read on another site that some parents said because their children were only having one jab they wouldn't be able to cruise.Sorry if I am wrong

Jansen isn’t approved for children in the UK. Only one dose of Phizer which is not classed as fully vaccinated 

8 hours ago, ann141 said:

Children in the 12 to 15 age group are only having one vaccination and therefore don't meet P and O 's double vaccination requirement unfortunately

This also applies to 16 and 17 year olds I believe.  My son at 17 is currently only on 1 Pfizer dose with no date given on the 2nd, nor able to book it.  Only that at 3 months before turning 18 he will be eligible for 2nd dose based upon age.

Edited by jaydee6969
Correction 3 months not 6.