Volos Excursions/Things to do

Megn2414

Hello, has anyone stopped in Volos? I am looking for things to do in the area when we stop on our cruise. We are in port from 12pm-9pm in May 2022. My mom would like to do a cooking class at one of our ports and I thought I would try to find somewhere that offers cooking class experiences in the Volos area. Has anyone done this before in the area?

Any other suggestions for things to do in the area. I know the Meteora Monasteries is a popular excursion for that port but we would rather stay closer to port and not have such a long travel day excursion. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/1/2021 at 1:56 PM, bennybear said:

I think most use it to access the stunning site of Meteora,  I will attach a few photos.  But it is also supposed to have very good mezes which are small plates so might be a good place to explore locally.  

C41029DA-29D0-48CD-BCA8-9C04176178BE.jpeg

AD819367-5468-4DE8-B890-EDE7E0477B5E.jpeg

D54948E6-B931-4E66-AF35-6CC3E998D3EC.jpeg

9925490A-BF7B-496F-B5A8-CE246E674F8C.jpeg

That looks like it's worth a trek. Maybe there are cooking classes in the vicinity, or an agriturismo type place where it's possible to do a late lunch where guests are involved in the preparation, because I mean, the setting? This works. 

Bennybear you always have these 🤩 persuasive images! 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Host Bonjour said:

That looks like it's worth a trek. Maybe there are cooking classes in the vicinity, or an agriturismo type place where it's possible to do a late lunch where guests are involved in the preparation, because I mean, the setting? This works. 

Edited by marazul

On 10/1/2021 at 9:58 AM, Megn2414 said:

Hello, has anyone stopped in Volos? I am looking for things to do in the area when we stop on our cruise. We are in port from 12pm-9pm in May 2022. My mom would like to do a cooking class at one of our ports and I thought I would try to find somewhere that offers cooking class experiences in the Volos area. Has anyone done this before in the area?

Any other suggestions for things to do in the area. I know the Meteora Monasteries is a popular excursion for that port but we would rather stay closer to port and not have such a long travel day excursion. 

There are six monasteries (two convents, 4 monasteries) in Meteora.  Even if you only visit three or four you are unlikely to have time for cooking classes in the area, especially when you consider that it is almost a two hour drive to Volos.  The town closest to the monasteries is Kalambaka where there are many tavernas and your excursion will probably take you there for lunch or snack.  The trip is more than worth a trek.  Don't miss it.

Probably the best place for a cooking class would be Athens itself.  I hope you are planning to spend a couple of days there before or after the cruise.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Yes, we are planning 2 days in Athens before our cruise. We found a cooking class at Karaiskos Farm which is about 30 mins by taxi from the Volos port and they said they could do a class from 3-6pm since we are port from 12-9pm! 

The monasteries look stunning, I just wish they weren’t so far from the port. 

We took the shorex to Meteora and with beautiful weather that day, the views from and on the approach to, the two monasteries we visited were wonderful, and the monasteries were interesting.  It may be a couple of hours each way but Meteora is sort of unique and we thoroughly enjoyed the shorex.

Edited by edinburgher
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, edinburgher said:

We took the shorex to Meteora and with beautiful weather that day, the views from and on the approach to, the two monasteries we visited were wonderful, and the monasteries were interesting.  It may be a couple of hours each way but Meteora is sort of unique and we thoroughly enjoyed the shorex.

Exactly this. I went to Meteora from Volos on a ship where the excursion was included. The monasteries and their setting is so unique that I strongly suggest the OP should reconsider. No way would I have skipped them for a cooking class.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Exactly this. I went to Meteora from Volos on a ship where the excursion was included. The monasteries and their setting is so unique that I strongly suggest the OP should reconsider. No way would I have skipped them for a cooking class.

Strongly agree. My suggestion above was to save the coking class for Athens.

• Like 2