Jump to content

Stupid question... but it involves the "All Aboard" vs "Sail Away" time


Z'Loth
 Share

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

 

Agree with donaldsc's post.  Reading for details, reading the "fine print",  reading an instruction manual for a new purchase:  these are not things that too many of our fellow men do not do well.  

“All aboard time” is not that complex a notion.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, urbanhawk said:

Thanks for all the answers/perspectives. I have always thought  of "sail away" for cruises, and "all aboard"when riding trains/Amtrak.  

I’ve always chuckled at the cruise lines’ use of the term “sail away.” Never a single sail involved. Even the ships that boast having sails dock and depart under power.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

I’ve always chuckled at the cruise lines’ use of the term “sail away.” Never a single sail involved. Even the ships that boast having sails dock and depart under power.

Maybe for Carnival's ships they could say "whale tail away"!!! (Sorry, happy hour here has started) !!!!

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

“All aboard time” is not that complex a notion.

 

Quite true.  But, then, one encounters those who think that does not apply to me.  

 

An example:  my Church has a "no firearms allowed in the building".  A member of my Church who was the Lay Leader for the Congregation and a good financial supporter was one who regularly carried a firearm.  When our Minister informed him that this was not permitted, his family and he left. 

 

Regulations/rules/requirements/expectations seem only to matter with some of today's citizens when they match what "they want to do".  
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

 

Quite true.  But, then, one encounters those who think that does not apply to me.  

 

An example:  my Church has a "no firearms allowed in the building".  A member of my Church who was the Lay Leader for the Congregation and a good financial supporter was one who regularly carried a firearm.  When our Minister informed him that this was not permitted, his family and he left. 

 

Regulations/rules/requirements/expectations seem only to matter with some of today's citizens when they match what "they want to do".  
 

Sounds like he knew that the rules applied to him so he decided to be in compliance with the rule. Had he ignored what the pastor said and continued to bring his firearm then he would have been evidencing "the rules don't apply to me" behavior.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The two times are for different purposes. The first is clearly what time to be back onboard 

 

I am one of many people who enjoy watching on deck as the ship leaves port. I may not be onshore at all or have taken a morning excursion, so the boarding time means little. 
 

But! I do want to know the sail away time to return on deck. 
 

Lastly, we sail often on Windstar’s sailing ships, and occasionally they are able to raise the sails as they leave port. They play some uplifting music. It is one of my favorite parts of cruising. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/8/2021 at 12:49 PM, rkacruiser said:

 

Agree with donaldsc's post.  Reading for details, reading the "fine print",  reading an instruction manual for a new purchase:  these are not things that too many of our fellow men do not do well.  

 

Instruction manual?   I don't need no stinking instruction manual!  😆

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/7/2021 at 8:04 PM, navybankerteacher said:

This is it in a nutshell.  

What is wrong with advising people of two things:  the time they should be back on board and the time the ship will actually get underway?  Does the concept of the existence of two times (for two different events) overload peoples’ comprehension capability?

 

Nothing as far as I'm concerned.   Show both.  

 

Getting back to the OP's question, I guess I can see one possible reason to show just the "all aboard" time.  When you show both, some folks might think they have that extra hour or half hour to get back to the ship.    I guess those would be the folks standing on the dock watching the ship pull away.    

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/8/2021 at 4:48 PM, NantahalaCruiser said:

Of course, the main difference is that with a ship, there is no danger of waiting on the tarmac for several hours after the pull-back-from-the-gate departure time.

 

I agree!   And if there is a delay, the ship probably won't run out of ice!  

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If someone can’t comprehend ‘all aboard time’ they shouldn’t be cruising. Getting left in port will be an expensive lesson for them. No, I don’t think there’s any reason the official itinerary should list all about time. Itineraries are created with the times the ship and port negotiate. All about time is set by the captain and can vary in different ports.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/9/2021 at 1:48 AM, rkacruiser said:

 

Quite true.  But, then, one encounters those who think that does not apply to me.  

 

An example:  my Church has a "no firearms allowed in the building".  A member of my Church who was the Lay Leader for the Congregation and a good financial supporter was one who regularly carried a firearm.  When our Minister informed him that this was not permitted, his family and he left. 

 

Regulations/rules/requirements/expectations seem only to matter with some of today's citizens when they match what "they want to do".  
 

Yikes. Carrying guns to church is not normal

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/3/2021 at 10:16 AM, Z'Loth said:

This one has me scratching my head. I'm looking here at my upcoming cruise, and I see that the "Sail Away" time is either 5:00 PM or 6:00 PM local time. However, all the few times I've been on a cruise, they tell us to be back at the ship about 30 minutes prior to the "Sail Away" time. Why not just publish the public "All Aboard" time and be done with it? Yes, even if that means fewer "volunteers" on the "Pier Runner" YouTube channel. 

Celebrity_Cruises_-_Google_Chrome 2021-10-03 09-11-37.png

On our first cruise nearly 50 years ago passengers were told that the ship would be sailing at 4 PM and that was the time we were expected back.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

On our first cruise nearly 50 years ago passengers were told that the ship would be sailing at 4 PM and that was the time we were expected back.

Unlikely -- even during the stone age of 50 years ago passengers were told to be back on board BEFORE sailaway -- 15 or thirty minutes, an hour, whatever --- they never would have told passengers they could  be boarding up until actual sailing time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, KBs mum said:

Yikes. Carrying guns to church is not normal

 


really??? Church, temple, and mosque attacks have become more frequent. I know several churches that are happy to allow members that are trained (ie current/former military or police) to carry guns. One of the pushes that’s been going back and forth locally where I live is for teachers to be allowed to carry guns…. And this isn’t the Deep South.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Unlikely -- even during the stone age of 50 years ago passengers were told to be back on board BEFORE sailaway -- 15 or thirty minutes, an hour, whatever --- they never would have told passengers they could  be boarding up until actual sailing time.

Telling people the transport is leaving an hour (or more) before it actually is works well as a tactic when organising groups of people. Actual sail time was probably well after this

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, sanger727 said:


really??? Church, temple, and mosque attacks have become more frequent. I know several churches that are happy to allow members that are trained (ie current/former military or police) to carry guns. One of the pushes that’s been going back and forth locally where I live is for teachers to be allowed to carry guns…. And this isn’t the Deep South.

The gun control debate is too political in the USA to be allowed on cruise critic. Suffice to say that I live in a country where the majority do not want or own any sort of firearm. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, KBs mum said:

Telling people the transport is leaving an hour (or more) before it actually is works well as a tactic when organising groups of people. Actual sail time was probably well after this

That MIGHT work at the first, or even the second, port of call.  But, once  you convince people that departure time can be assumed to be later than what was published, you have lost any reason for stating that time.   
 

“All aboard” time is what needs to be promulgated.    Once everyone is back on board, there is no reason to not get an early start. I have been on many flights which rolled back from the gate earlier than posted departure time.

Edited by navybankerteacher
Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, wishIweretravelling said:

I like knowing the sail away time, particularly when leaving scenic ports. Time to be on the top deck when saiing from places like New York, Istanbul, Stockholm, Rio, etc.

 

 

Agreed - and pulling out of San Juan late at night is also worth getting yourself to am upper deck, starboard side.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

That MIGHT work at the first, or even the second, port of call.  But, once  you convince people that departure time can be assumed to be later than what was published, you have lost any reason for stating that time.   
 

“All aboard” time is what needs to be promulgated.    Once everyone is back on board, there is no reason to not get an early start. I have been on many flights which rolled back from the gate earlier than posted departure time.

You would be amazed at how thick herded cars can be😁

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, KBs mum said:

You would be amazed at how thick herded cars can be😁

I have become somewhat immune to amazement in these days of COVID - and mindless reactions to it.

 

But what has the thickness of  "herded cars" (or the more likely herded cats) got to do with all aboard, or sailaway, time?

Edited by navybankerteacher
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Q&A with American Queen Voyages
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...