Is Venice worth it on a cruise these days?

mwf7501

We're booked on an Oct 2022 Venice--Rome cruise that starts with an overnight "in" Venice.    We ended up with it as a result of a lift & shift for a cancelled Athens--Rome booking.   This will be our first Mediterranean cruise, and first time to Italy, so everything and anywhere will be a new experience. 

However, if we knew then what we know now, we would not have taken this itinerary.

A question please to those of you who've seen Venice -- particularly in the past five or ten years -- is it worth seeing now on a cruise?

With more than a year to adjust itineraries I wish AZ would change this route.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/10/04/world/europe/venice-tourism-surveillance.html

"The city’s leaders are acquiring the cellphone data of unwitting tourists and using hundreds of surveillance cameras to monitor visitors and prevent crowding. Next summer, they plan to install long-debated gates at key entry points; visitors coming only for the day will have to book ahead and pay a fee to enter. If too many people want to come, some will be turned away."

The story's reader comments brutalize cruisers and cruising, fwiw.

Mark 

First off, unless there is a new cruise terminal completed by Oct. 2022, you will not be sailing in or out of Venice since they have banned virtually all cruise ships, even as small as Azamara's R class.  The sailings this fall that were originally due to sail from Venice now leave or return to Trieste, south of Venice.  Azamara is scheduling Venice for 2022, but that is dependent on a new terminal or the revision of the ban.

We've been to Venice at least a half-dozen times over the years and would return in a heartbeat, especially if they manage to restrain the number of visitors.  We've never visited as a port call, but have sailed from there a number of those times, spending 3 or 4 days prior.  

And I heartily support Venice's effort, even if it means that it may be a bit harder and more expensive to visit there.  Speaking from a town that has many of the exact same problems as Venice (extreme over-tourism, locals being shoved out of housing by in- and out-of-state AirBnB owners (many illegal) and having virtually impossible to visit our own downtown) I heartily sympathize. 

But if you have the opportunity to visit at least 2 or 3 days prior to the sailing (plus the overnight on the ship) I would recommend it.  Visit the islands (beyond Burano and Murano) that are like another world. Take in all that Venice has to offer.  It truly can be magical if you look past the tourist centered veneer. 

• Like 11

We have visited Venice several times. Renting an apartment in a residential.area is a good option so you can eat, shop, drink in local places with the residents. You can wander when quieter and use vaporetto to get about. Don't miss Venice. It isn't Disney it is a living, working city with a lovely community especially when the day trippers leave

• Like 5

Venice is magical, especially at night.  Your cruise is a year away and nobody knows quite what will happen regarding alternative docking locations by then. If it is the 11 night October 10th then is a great itinerary.

Viking has docked at Fusina Ferry Terminal this week which is a 30 minute bus ride away from the regular Cruise terminal where all paperwork etc is completed.  This is not ideal but at least shows there may be ways to get closer to Venice than Trieste.

We are booked on Azamara Quest in April 2022 and the itinerary is still showing Venice for our overnight.  We would love to return to Venice but Trieste is also an interesting location. 

However I would certainly encourage staying in Venice itself for a couple of days. I wouldn't worry too much about press reports in the US.  

We have been there many times, independently and before and after cruises and would return in a heartbeat.  

• Like 3

Venice is wonderful and it’s perfectly possible to avoid the crowds. Go to the ‘tourist’ areas (especially the Rialto Bridge & St Marks Square) either first thing in the morning or in the evening, get a Vaporretto to the islands, walk around the quieter areas (e.g the Jewish Quarter). Before you do anything else, take a Vaporretto from one end of the Grand Canal to the other to get the feel of the place.

We had a week there, but stayed on the Lido, which is quieter, and took the Vaporretto every day.

• Like 4

Thank you for the comments and suggestions.  Five of five say Go.  It sounds like Venice is crowded for a reason.   And I should use the year I've got for research and planning.

Mark

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Grandma Cruising said:

Venice is wonderful and it’s perfectly possible to avoid the crowds. Go to the ‘tourist’ areas (especially the Rialto Bridge & St Marks Square) either first thing in the morning or in the evening, get a Vaporretto to the islands, walk around the quieter areas (e.g the Jewish Quarter). Before you do anything else, take a Vaporretto from one end of the Grand Canal to the other to get the feel of the place.

We had a week there, but stayed on the Lido, which is quieter, and took the Vaporretto every day.

Thanks for those suggestions. 

Having had the benefit of experiencing the crowds on previous visits, on our last cruise, that involved a TAR day, we crossed over to visit San Giorgio Maggiore and its adjacent sites. The Church enclosed an interesting art installation and, of course, there is an elevator taking you to a fabulous view of St. Mark’s Square.

That was memorable.

Rick Steves provides a free audio tour that you access while on a Vaporrretto travelling down The Grand Canal.

I have to concede that when I visited Venice approximately 15 years ago I found it overcrowded even then. So I am not a fair source on Venice.

2 hours ago, Huntingdon1701 said:

Just spent three days in Venice before picking up a cruise in Barcelona (the Venice one was cancelled). Definitely still worth it. 

IMG_20211003_165459.jpg

IMG_20211003_180900.jpg

We loved Burano and would also recommend taking the boat across to Torcello and if you are a lover of a long, lazy lunch eating lunch in the gardens of Locando Cipriani.  A wonderful spot.  

19EFE8EC-FBC0-446D-B2DC-1465A24281A9.jpeg

D337D192-60C0-4581-8963-C824184AD9C8.jpeg

8BA1DE45-0A47-48A8-9DEF-9C98A3CDC738.jpeg

Edited by Werangels
Photos
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, mwf7501 said:

Five of five say Go.  It sounds like Venice is crowded for a reason.   And I should use the year I've got for research and planning.

Six out of six say 'GO'.  Since you are going in October, it won't be unbearably hot or unbearably crowded.  Venice is unique and has to be on any bucket list.  You have lots of time to do your research and planning but here are a couple of suggestions.  I believe the campanile in Piazza San Marco has an elevator.   Relax, it's not a medieval elevator.  The original tower collapsed so what you are looking at is just over 100 years old.  I haven't done it but the view from the top of the tower must be outstanding.  Take a vaporetto to Burano - 45 minute ride - wander around and find a canal-side patio for a leisurely lunch.  Risotto is a must.  Memorable.

We have a B2B out of Venice booked May ‘22. When booked, these new rules were not in place. We have had a lot of discussion around how it will impact our original plans should we dock in Trieste. 
I concur that Venice after dark is magical and that was a draw for us as we experienced it a number of years ago. We decided to book our flights into Venice three days prior to our cruise so that we can enjoy what Venice has to offer early mornings as well, and without a sense of urgency. Depending on what the docking status is in May, we will either enjoy a relatively empty ship on TAR or not. Either way, we have decided, for us, that it will be worth it. 
Thank you for all the pictures and recommendations in this post, as well as Viking update. Things will change between now and then. And then change again. Just to be traveling after all this time will be wonderful.  

• Like 3

Another suggestion for Venice is to book the ‘secret itineraries’ tour of the Doge’s Palace. They offer the tour in English and it’s great. You get to see behind the scenes, including the cell where Casanova was held. https://www.venice-museum.com/secret-itineraries-doge-palace.php?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIxbf8j9638wIVFeR3Ch00UgS2EAAYAyAAEgJ3pfD_BwE

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Grandma Cruising said:

Another suggestion for Venice is to book the ‘secret itineraries’ tour of the Doge’s Palace. They offer the tour in English and it’s great. You get to see behind the scenes, including the cell where Casanova was held. https://www.venice-museum.com/secret-itineraries-doge-palace.php?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIxbf8j9638wIVFeR3Ch00UgS2EAAYAyAAEgJ3pfD_BwE

The Secrets of Doge's Palace tour is definitely worthwhile. My big memory of that is getting a shot of St Mark's Square out of one of the roof openings. 

I'm pleased at what they are doing with Venice. It's a shame what it has become. Time for a rethink and I concur with others. Spend a few days there and see it in the evening. Also, if you can do ok with the Aqua Alta flooding later in the year as I managed when I went early December it's quieter too and the temperature more bearable (for a Brit at least!). Evening walk and no crowds!

Phil 

AD4D49B1-3879-4CDC-8480-93CAC18D29A0.jpeg

• Like 5

One of my favourite activities is to get the vaparetto from Zaterre over to Guidecca (about a 5 minute hop) and roam around there.  You get fabulous views back over to St Marks Square and the Doges Palace. Restaurant prices are more reasonable and I thoroughly recommend La Palanca for canal side eating and lovely food. 

• Like 2

Another vote for the 'secret itineraries'. Perhaps one of the most interesting tours but do be prepared for lots of stairs to climb.

Lunch times try cicchetti - small plates rather like tapas - and a glass of ombre - the local wine. Sometimes it's great and sometimes not so... 

And it's worth noting that, in general the farther you are away from St Marks Square and the Rialto bridge the cheap it will be to eat and drink (with cicchetti being the exception).

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Jim in OR said:

Nobody goes to Venice any more. It’s too crowded. 

Depends where you stay & where you go. You can walk around some lovely areas where there are few tourists. We had a great walk around the Jewish Quarter and saw very few other people. Just avoid the Rialto Bridge and St Marks Square and the route between them.

It is great walking with no cars to.avoid or bikes to consider on the traffic free pavements in the residential.areas or on Burano and Murano. Having visited for 50 years since a school.trip it is totally magical with something fantastic to see around every corner and across every bridge. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jim in OR said:

It was a feeble attempt at a joke Denise. It’s a paraphrase of an old Yogi Berra quote. 

Jim, that is so funny.  I included that Yogi malaprop in my original post and then cut it.   It did seem perfect for the Venice conventional wisdom in the media these days.

Again we appreciate the suggestions; we were getting a bit bummed but are now reinvigorated.   One of the best things about travel is the anticipation.   Even 12 months out. 

Mark

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Jim in OR said:

It was a feeble attempt at a joke Denise. It’s a paraphrase of an old Yogi Berra quote. 

One or two of us did realise it was a joke.  Anything that makes us laugh these days is commendable.  However when I read your reply I thought spell check had intervened and it was a Yogi Bear quote!  Sorry but this side of the pond I doubt many would know the name.  

I have just spent a pleasant few minutes looking him up and reading his 20 best quotes. Fantastic.

Thank you for the diversion in these uncertain times.

Mark :  Venice will not disappoint.  Will report back following our April visit.

Pam

• Like 3

Venice is worth it but it is much better not on a cruise.  Since your cruise starts in Venice, get there 4 or 5 days before the cruise starts so you can enjoy it more.  You just can't do Venice properly on a 1 day cruise stop.  Some of the best places in Venice are the out-of-the-way places.  If I remember correctly, we were there for 5 days and still missed stuff.  Venice is a wonderful city to walk around in or to take the vaporetto to random stops.  You will almost certainly get lost when you walk but if you carry a card from your hotel or just find your way to a vaporetto stop, you will get back.

One final suggestion - Read some of the Donna Leon Commissario Guido Brunetti mysteries before you go.  Great reads.

DON

• Like 2