Covid on Iona

Cathygh

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

Interesting argument with  the insurance company.

"I thought I would be OK, so decided to stay on board, but unfortunately I got quite ill, so it cost £50,000 to airlift me to a hospital, and then fly me home."

If someone is going to try and hide the illness to start with then they won't start telling the truth later on to insurance 

They will just bluff along they didn't know they were ill

And get away with it most of the time

As I keep saying - the longer the cruise the more people get infected simple as that 

And the more likely symptoms will start to show

Cruise lines should have stuck to 7 night max cruises for next few months 

With pre cruise testing they could have minimised the positive cases that emerged with shorter cruises 

Trying to get back to normal too quickly is going to be their undoing

The bad news stories are going to keep coming out and people will start to postpone or cancel plans as they do

We are a long way from normal

Plus you need to avoid any type of group situations where you can be identified as a close contact of others. Or you may face testing if any of that group tests positive. 

One of the seabourn cruises with infections recently moved all their indoor activities to outdoor

Edited by Interestedcruisefan
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Ardennais said:

I don’t intend to cruise until next year sometime but just asking in case there are other people like me who just won’t fly but are considering a cruise in the near future, ex UK. 

Molecrochip - your explanation above is very clear and I fully understand and accept the protocols. But have P&O actually provided a similar explanation on their website? Because I assumed, incorrectly it now seems, that any positive cases would be moved to the quarantine cabins and remain there until their return to Southampton. 

2 hours ago, ohnonotmeagain said:

I too was under the impression that if tested positive AND not seriously ill, that I would be quarantined but on the ship and brought back to Southampton,not off loaded.

2 hours ago, ann141 said:

I had been under the impression (like others) that if tested positive on a cruise I would be quarantined on the ship until Southampton.

I must admit, I was under this impression as well.  Having read Molecrochip's clarification and other posts I now understand better why these unlucky passengers have been disembarked.

Also explains why the hammering home the insurance message has been so prominent.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, molecrochip said:

In advance of arriving at each port, weeks in advance, P&O will have agreed protocols with each local authority. In general, that is disembarkation at the next port as this reduces the risk of the spread of the virus on board ship. Additionally, by being on land, if the condition deteriorates then hospital treatment is readily available without the restrictions of being at sea.

Yes, there are quarantine cabins on board both for positive cases and separately for close contacts. These will used by anyone testing positive until they are disembarked. They will also be used for precautionary quarantining of close contacts.  Close contacts are not disembarked as they may not be positive.

If you have bought the correct travel insurance which includes Covid cover, then the point of incidence is the point you are confirmed as positive on board - which is the PCR test rather than an LFT anti-gen test. You will not therefore have to cover the cost of in-situ quarantining or returning home as your insurance covers medical and repatriation. That said, as is usual, you may have to pay the cost up front and claim back.

In-situ quarantine hotels, for this purpose, are part of the medical journey home. For these purposes, a Quarantine hotel is more akin to hospitalisation.  The typical Heathrow airport quarantine hotel which you have to use irrespective of your Covid test result, but because of travelling from a red list country are not covered by insurance policies.

P&O through their care team will make arrangements with the local authorities for quarantine and then travel home. If you are Covid positive, no airline will allow you to fly. The P&O care team will help liaise with insurance companies and will remain in contact (often physically in the same location) until you return home.

This description is as I understood it from HE and the other insurance companies. However they were quite clear that if you were not unwell, ie your travelling companion was confirmed ill but you did not test positive and removed from the ship into quarantine due to their illness, then you were not covered for the costs of quarantine under their policies, hence my grey area comment.

I am not familiar with P&O's arrangements with HE but the policy (some 100 odd pages long for the annual one) seems pretty standard and I cannot see any wording specific to P&O indicating any comfort on this issue. My somewhat large extended family forwarded their policies to my husband back in July as he is an insurance compliance officer by trade and they wanted to check they had completely understood the policies they were purchasing. We have therefore seen 7 different companies' policies and again have not seen any wording in any policy covering being removed from the ship alongside a sick person you are sharing your cabin with.  Of course if you are tested positive as Molecrochip says you are clearly covered and should be offloaded into medical care ashore, however surely wider answers should be offered about your right to repayment of costs if you are not tested positive and do not develop covid? 

There are an awful lot of assumptions by us about what should happen. What no one knows at this point is how the insurance companies are actually handling these claims if the secondary person does not at any point test positive. From what I have read from the original lady on FB, she does not mention if she has tested positive herself, only that her husband is ill.  If the FB lady has not tested positive and is not unwell at this stage  (and hopefully will stay that way) and the insurance pays out all well and good.  The test for other concerned prospective travellers will be what happens if she remains well and the insurer doesn't pay the quarantine costs because she never actually becomes ill herself.

Molecrochip comments about upfront costs being paid by yourself.  These quarantine costs could be several thousand pounds per person. Surely they would come under the authorised before treatment starts part of any policy and in the scenario described by Molecrochip P&O would have dealt with the insurance company and organised this before the people were removed?  Hopefully that would mean all individuals affected and offloaded would be having their bills agreed and met before disembarkation as surely P&O would not run the risk of a PR disaster that would occur if someone ended up with a huge bill through no fault of their own.  This is really what all of us speculators need answering by P&O and the cruise companies. These unfortunate individuals are going to be the test cases for how the insurance companies and the cruise lines will treat anyone unfortunate enough to be affected by Covid on these longer international cruises. Let's hope they come through with flying colours!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

This description is as I understood it from HE and the other insurance companies. However they were quite clear that if you were not unwell, ie your travelling companion was confirmed ill but you did not test positive and removed from the ship into quarantine due to their illness, then you were not covered for the costs of quarantine under their policies, hence my grey area comment.

I am not familiar with P&O's arrangements with HE but the policy (some 100 odd pages long for the annual one) seems pretty standard and I cannot see any wording specific to P&O indicating any comfort on this issue. My somewhat large extended family forwarded their policies to my husband back in July as he is an insurance compliance officer by trade and they wanted to check they had completely understood the policies they were purchasing. We have therefore seen 7 different companies' policies and again have not seen any wording in any policy covering being removed from the ship alongside a sick person you are sharing your cabin with.  Of course if you are tested positive as Molecrochip says you are clearly covered and should be offloaded into medical care ashore, however surely wider answers should be offered about your right to repayment of costs if you are not tested positive and do not develop covid? 

There are an awful lot of assumptions by us about what should happen. What no one knows at this point is how the insurance companies are actually handling these claims if the secondary person does not at any point test positive. From what I have read from the original lady on FB, she does not mention if she has tested positive herself, only that her husband is ill.  If the FB lady has not tested positive and is not unwell at this stage  (and hopefully will stay that way) and the insurance pays out all well and good.  The test for other concerned prospective travellers will be what happens if she remains well and the insurer doesn't pay the quarantine costs because she never actually becomes ill herself.

Molecrochip comments about upfront costs being paid by yourself.  These quarantine costs could be several thousand pounds per person. Surely they would come under the authorised before treatment starts part of any policy and in the scenario described by Molecrochip P&O would have dealt with the insurance company and organised this before the people were removed?  Hopefully that would mean all individuals affected and offloaded would be having their bills agreed and met before disembarkation as surely P&O would not run the risk of a PR disaster that would occur if someone ended up with a huge bill through no fault of their own.  This is really what all of us speculators need answering by P&O and the cruise companies. These unfortunate individuals are going to be the test cases for how the insurance companies and the cruise lines will treat anyone unfortunate enough to be affected by Covid on these longer international cruises. Let's hope they come through with flying colours!

Moley,  I wonder if you could forward this post to the senior management of P&O, as in my opinion it very clearly highlights the main concerns that passengers will have about the insurance implications for anyone currently cruising or who has one booked in the near future.

• Like 2

According to the cruiselawnews website  Royal Caribbean have (on at least one of their ships - Jewel) stopped crew from leaving the ship on days off and stopped crew from leaving the ship to guide shore excursions for passengers.  They've also closed the crew bar down and moved any indoor staff meetings outdoor. 

When you think about it if ships are going to such big efforts to stop people starting the cruise with Covid (ie asking crew and passengers to be double jabbed and using  pre cruise testing) then they are very much defeating the object allowing guests and crew to have port days and losing any control of the situation as a result

Edited by Interestedcruisefan

11 hours ago, molecrochip said:

OK - lets clear up a few things. I'm not up to speed on this specific incident but am happy to give some wider context.

In advance of arriving at each port, weeks in advance, P&O will have agreed protocols with each local authority. In general, that is disembarkation at the next port as this reduces the risk of the spread of the virus on board ship. Additionally, by being on land, if the condition deteriorates then hospital treatment is readily available without the restrictions of being at sea.

Yes, there are quarantine cabins on board both for positive cases and separately for close contacts. These will used by anyone testing positive until they are disembarked. They will also be used for precautionary quarantining of close contacts.  Close contacts are not disembarked as they may not be positive.

If you have bought the correct travel insurance which includes Covid cover, then the point of incidence is the point you are confirmed as positive on board - which is the PCR test rather than an LFT anti-gen test. You will not therefore have to cover the cost of in-situ quarantining or returning home as your insurance covers medical and repatriation. That said, as is usual, you may have to pay the cost up front and claim back.

In-situ quarantine hotels, for this purpose, are part of the medical journey home. For these purposes, a Quarantine hotel is more akin to hospitalisation.  The typical Heathrow airport quarantine hotel which you have to use irrespective of your Covid test result, but because of travelling from a red list country are not covered by insurance policies.

P&O through their care team will make arrangements with the local authorities for quarantine and then travel home. If you are Covid positive, no airline will allow you to fly. The P&O care team will help liaise with insurance companies and will remain in contact (often physically in the same location) until you return home.

Thanks for that very helpful clarification, molecrochip.  It's very good information.

Just a point of clarification though, please:

What you've said about insurance claims all sounds very sensible and logical, but it is just a P&O interpretation of the situation, and that situation will vary from person to person, and policy to policy.  No two claims are ever the same, and travel claims are notorious for being turned down at the slightest excuse - one step outside the strict terms of the policy and that's it.

Given that claims in the situation described in this thread could still be rejected, are P&O prepared to pick up the costs involved if that happens?  If not, I suspect that quite a few potential customers will be lost because they're not prepared to take the risk.

4 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Thanks for that very helpful clarification, molecrochip.  It's very good information.

Just a point of clarification though, please:

What you've said about insurance claims all sounds very sensible and logical, but it is just a P&O interpretation of the situation, and that situation will vary from person to person, and policy to policy.  No two claims are ever the same, and travel claims are notorious for being turned down at the slightest excuse - one step outside the strict terms of the policy and that's it.

Given that claims in the situation described in this thread could still be rejected, are P&O prepared to pick up the costs involved if that happens?  If not, I suspect that quite a few potential customers will be lost because they're not prepared to take the risk.

Personally I think there are two concerns for passengers. Potential cost being one. But almost worse is in many ways is being pretty much abandoned in countries where you have no idea what the actual conditions of hotel quarantine will be like, how you will be fed and watered etc and how you will be looked after medically

You've also got the stress of needing to get tests before you can leave the country. And don't forget that some Covid patients in the UK spend months not just weeks in hospital if they get serious

I worry even more about all of the above outside of Europe

When Covid first started certain places we like to visit normally on holidays we kind of ruled out (Gambia being one) as happening again for a while.  As we wouldn't trust medical facilities there. 

I'm not sure how advanced Caribbean countries will be on Covid treatment tbh?

And I worry about the conditions of the quarantine facilities at the same time

At least in quarantine on cruise ship you can expect decent food and know the conditions to expect

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Ardennais said:

I don’t intend to cruise until next year sometime but just asking in case there are other people like me who just won’t fly but are considering a cruise in the near future, ex UK. 

Molecrochip - your explanation above is very clear and I fully understand and accept the protocols. But have P&O actually provided a similar explanation on their website? Because I assumed, incorrectly it now seems, that any positive cases would be moved to the quarantine cabins and remain there until their return to Southampton. 

Had I a cruise booked in the next few months, the latest development would have freaked me out! 

I agree.

If the protocol is unload at the next port the people who test positive, and this has been known for some time, surely P&O should have made people aware of this before they paid their final balances.

People have 'bought blind, not knowing the full protocol - and people have been willing to take that risk.

However, it seems a bit unfair that information that was known by the cruise company hasn't been provided to passengers.

If I had been booked on any of the cruises that are sailing now, I would have moved to another cruise, as I would want to see how the initial cruises progress.

A relatively high risk of being offloaded at a foreign port is a big red flag for me. I rather lose my deposit than cruise under those circumstances. 

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

If someone is going to try and hide the illness to start with then they won't start telling the truth later on to insurance 

They will just bluff along they didn't know they were ill

And get away with it most of the time

As I keep saying - the longer the cruise the more people get infected simple as that 

And the more likely symptoms will start to show

Cruise lines should have stuck to 7 night max cruises for next few months 

With pre cruise testing they could have minimised the positive cases that emerged with shorter cruises 

Trying to get back to normal too quickly is going to be their undoing

The bad news stories are going to keep coming out and people will start to postpone or cancel plans as they do

We are a long way from normal

Plus you need to avoid any type of group situations where you can be identified as a close contact of others. Or you may face testing if any of that group tests positive. 

One of the seabourn cruises with infections recently moved all their indoor activities to outdoor

Thank you for your posts - you are saying all the things I want to  say, but no longer have the will or energy to make the effort to post. 

You make a good point about the longer cruises. The 35 night cruises on Ventura in the new year are high risk - a long way from home, and a closed community for the virus to spread.  Also, there's the new 40 night cruise on Aurora - I said a few months ago when it was released that it was a very bold move on P&O's part. 

• Like 2

I have been reading the detail of my insurance policy this morning. It appears quarantine is covered if you have the positive PCR test as you are ill and quarantine because your companion is ill is covered under curtailment of your holiday up to £5000, as long as the quarantine, which can be in accommodation or hospital is on the instruction of medical professionals. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

12 hours ago, wowzz said:

I understand your concerns,  but P&O would open themselves up to major litigation if they transported a Covid patient back to the UK,  rather than disembarking them. 

Without being morbid, what if the patient died at sea, when they could have survived if they had been ashore?

Surely the quarantine areas have always been designed to be used  for those that have been in contact with Covid patients,  not the patients themselves ?

I don’t disagree with you at all. It does seem like the best course of action. If the quarantine areas have always been designed to be used as you say, have P&O made that clear anywhere? I’m evidently not the only one who, perhaps naively thought that the quarantine cabins would have been enough for mild cases. Just an issue of communication once again, not disagreeing with the actual protocol. 

As part of restart plans, P&O were required to agree protocols with each port that they visit. These protocols are not the same for each port, country and in some cases, can vary by cruise (think half term with lots of unvaccinated kids). 

As has been mentioned before, the Captain is required to declare, prior to arrival at each port, any communicable illnesses on board (amongst other things). If the protocol for that port is to disembark then that is what will happen. Protocols do vary between ports which is ultimately why there is not a publication on the website.

This is all what has led to such stringent insurance requirements. I believe, that if it is your travelling companion who is ill and you are removed from the ship too, whilst not ill, then it is the companion's insurance that incurs the cost of meeting the legal obligation for you to quarantine - not your insurance. Most people travel on a couple/family policy so this is one of the same.

Anyone who has ever had to visit the ship's doctor will know how expensive it is just to have an appointment to diagnose. Unless its changed, suspected symptoms of covid cases are seen for free - that is how important this is seen.

7 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

Molecrochip comments about upfront costs being paid by yourself.  These quarantine costs could be several thousand pounds per person. Surely they would come under the authorised before treatment starts part of any policy and in the scenario described by Molecrochip P&O would have dealt with the insurance company and organised this before the people were removed?  Hopefully that would mean all individuals affected and offloaded would be having their bills agreed and met before disembarkation as surely P&O would not run the risk of a PR disaster that would occur if someone ended up with a huge bill through no fault of their own.  

So this is where the P&O care team are fantastic and the onboard care team work with Carnival House in Southampton to liaise with travel insurance companies so that it works exactly as you say, although are are occasions where quick developing situations don't allow.

One thing I am sure about is that no one will be left stranded with a massive bill to settle and no means. I'd go as far as to say that the CLIA guidelines require cruise companies to pay, in the first case, if no adequate insurance payment is readily available.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

6 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

This is all what has led to such stringent insurance requirements. I believe, that if it is your travelling companion who is ill and you are removed from the ship too, whilst not ill, then it is the companion's insurance that incurs the cost of meeting the legal obligation for you to quarantine - not your insurance. Most people travel on a couple/family policy so this is one of the same.

That does sound logical in most cases. I am sharing a cabin in April with an 82 year old aunt. We have different insurance companies and different policies. My insurer was adamant this morning that the information previously provided was correct: if I am not Covid positive at test then they will not pay for quarantine if I am offloaded.  I will revisit them in light of your comments and Davecttr.  I have not liaised with my aunt's insurer yet as their telephone line just rings out.

Okay update: I have just had a 20 minute call with Holiday Extras who have confirmed their original position.  Their Covid cruise policy underwritten by Great Lakes WILL NOT cover your quarantine costs unless you are medically ill. Their definition of medically required is that the onboard medical staff carry out a PCR covid test which results in a positive outcome.  They emphasised that a travelling companion in your cabin becoming Covid positive would not be sufficient for them to pay your quarantine costs if you yourself do not get a positive test result onboard no matter that P&O and the port have these policies in place.

I have put Molecrochip's suggestion about my travelling companion's insurance being liable and they are considering this and have promised to contact me as soon as they have an answer! I have been asked to forward them Molecrochip's exact wording as on their initial response, again there would be no cover!

I'm now holding for my aunt's insurer, Good to Go, to see what they say.  My own insurer,  AXA has stated the same as HE but have not asked to see a P&O response but just stated No on both points ...

• Like 1

This insurance business is so hard to understand .Would you be able to have your companion on your insurance as a named person like you do on a car insurance?  I don't know the answer but it is a very stressful situation to try and find out various scenarios .P and O should put our minds at rest and tell us what has happened in this case as we don't know all the facts but think it would help for future cruises 

The disgraceful thing about this is the fact that P&O have kept this possibility quiet - most people assumed that if you tested positive you would be isolated in a cabin not dumped on shore. Of course if they had told us about this we might not have booked !!!

• Like 8

2 hours ago, molecrochip said:

As part of restart plans, P&O were required to agree protocols with each port that they visit. These protocols are not the same for each port, country and in some cases, can vary by cruise (think half term with lots of unvaccinated kids). 

As has been mentioned before, the Captain is required to declare, prior to arrival at each port, any communicable illnesses on board (amongst other things). If the protocol for that port is to disembark then that is what will happen. Protocols do vary between ports which is ultimately why there is not a publication on the website.

Anyone who has ever had to visit the ship's doctor will know how expensive it is just to have an appointment to diagnose. Unless its changed, suspected symptoms of covid cases are seen for free - that is how important this is seen.

Hi All not a regular poster more of a browser of all the interesting comments and opinions. This subject has me boggled. while I understand that we as customers are responsible for taking out appropriate insurance cover. I have taken out cruise specific cover for all of P and O stipulations. But as I have taken out couple insurance for myself and wife which will cover covid.

Providing we both test positive, if only one of us tests positive as a couple sharing a cabin P and O/port authority protocols dictate that we are both to be disembarked and quarantined.

If we are disembarked under these circumstances and one of us fails to contract covid, surly P and O would have to foot the bill for evicting someone from a cruise just because they might have covid. 

Has P and O taken out appropriate insurance in order to have these protocols and agreements because I have not been able to find in any advice from P and O that we should all have individual cover which should cover you for repatriation, medical and quarantine costs if you fail to contract covid. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, davecttr said:

I have been reading the detail of my insurance policy this morning. It appears quarantine is covered if you have the positive PCR test as you are ill and quarantine because your companion is ill is covered under curtailment of your holiday up to £5000, as long as the quarantine, which can be in accommodation or hospital is on the instruction of medical professionals. 

The instruction of medical professionals apparently has to confirm you have Covid. No positive test, no quarantine paid for. A right old can of worms I think.

The lady who was offloaded intimated that P&O are being very helpful but the situation was unexpected even to them. When asked in the chat who was paying she replied "we/our insurer" which suggests its fluid and still under discussion.

The P&O moderators have now closed that chat so its anyone's guess what is happening now.

11 minutes ago, Swanseasailor said:

Hi All not a regular poster more of a browser of all the interesting comments and opinions. This subject has me boggled. while I understand that we as customers are responsible for taking out appropriate insurance cover. I have taken out cruise specific cover for all of P and O stipulations. But as I have taken out couple insurance for myself and wife which will cover covid.

Providing we both test positive, if only one of us tests positive as a couple sharing a cabin P and O/port authority protocols dictate that we are both to be disembarked and quarantined.

If we are disembarked under these circumstances and one of us fails to contract covid, surly P and O would have to foot the bill for evicting someone from a cruise just because they might have covid. 

Has P and O taken out appropriate insurance in order to have these protocols and agreements because I have not been able to find in any advice from P and O that we should all have individual cover which should cover you for repatriation, medical and quarantine costs if you fail to contract covid. 

I'm sure they will have a solution. It seems the cruise company has been taken by surprise as much as anyone. The problem is insurance policies can be read by individuals to mean different things and until someone asks a question after something occurs it may well never arise and remain hidden. 

I understood that the main reason for taking out couples insurance rather than separate insurance policies is so that if one of you becomes ill or can't go, the insurance company will cover costs for the healthy partner to be flown home etc as well. I presume this would cover the cost of enforced hotel quarantine for both though obviously difficult if 2 people travelling together have got separate insurance policies

With my complicated lifestyle I have 2 policies of travel insurance, one with my bank (AXA) which I use when I travel alone, and another newly taken out annual policy shared with my husband who has medical issues. The first of these will cease to exist in November due to the bank changing insurers but as I bought waivers etc with the bank it is running side by side.

Both of these companies have now stated if one person is offloaded without a positive test, quarantine costs for the person with "no medical requirements" would be refused. This would not matter if it is just me travelling with Auntie, or my husband and I as a couple under our joint policy.

If it is normal illness/accident the cover is as stated by Ann141. It is the Covid section of the policy which apparently discards the quarantine costs if you do not have positive Covid tests for both parties.

I am still awaiting HE reply re the other person's insurance paying as a third party.

3 hours ago, molecrochip said:

So this is where the P&O care team are fantastic and the onboard care team work with Carnival House in Southampton to liaise with travel insurance companies so that it works exactly as you say, although are are occasions where quick developing situations don't allow.

One thing I am sure about is that no one will be left stranded with a massive bill to settle and no means. I'd go as far as to say that the CLIA guidelines require cruise companies to pay, in the first case, if no adequate insurance payment is readily available.

Para 1 - will be there be any unvaccinated children?

Para 2 - ok, I get it that different ports have different protocols. That still doesn’t excuse P&O (or any cruise line) from communicating what might happen. After all, it’s not a trivial matter. Having to leave the ship (and again, I fully accept the protocol) could be a very frightening experience for someone. Just flipping warn people!

• Like 3

6 hours ago, davecttr said:

Are flights home after the quarantine also covered?