Regents Seven Seas - Formal Option Nights

Ksedmom

I see that on cruises of 15 nights or more, there are two formal "optional" nights. We are booked on a 30 day cruise in January and before I pack just want to know do many people participate in this?  We love to dress up but do not really want to be the only ones doing it.  

1 hour ago, Ksedmom said:

I see that on cruises of 15 nights or more, there are two formal "optional" nights. We are booked on a 30 day cruise in January and before I pack just want to know do many people participate in this?  We love to dress up but do not really want to be the only ones doing it.  

You won't be the only ones. If you like to dress up, go for it. You do you. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, gcorgain said:

I've been curious about this as well. So I wouldn't be out of place in a blazer/slacks/tie?

Regards,

Greg

Greg, you'd be considered one of the dressed-up ones!  Very few tuxes these days, in my experience.  

In general, don't worry, we folks who take the casual approach actually enjoy seeing people dressed to the nines--everyone gets to do their own thing, and that's one of the joys of Regent.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It is not unusual for a small number of the men to wear tuxedos and women to wear formal gowns.  Suits and ties for men, and nice dresses for women are both common. So you won't feel out of place.
Personally, I don't even bring a suit jacket or tie, and also don't feel out of place.
Regent people in general are pretty accepting of each other.
Later edit: Oops -- Wendy is in the next room and my post and hers were composed independently and simultaneously.

Edited by DavidTheWonderer
  • Thanks 2

I am going to toss in a side thought that I have offered in the past.

Some passengers eat with the staff by choice, by invite, by nights on board, by friendship...for many reasons. While I do not speak for anyone but myself, I will share that I would not sit down for a meal in a public setting on board with a staff member unless I was dressed on parity with that staff member. 

I am not trying to change your mind on the subject...but some people may not have thought of the possibility.

• Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

Some passengers eat with the staff by choice, by invite, by nights on board, by friendship...for many reasons. While I do not speak for anyone but myself, I will share that I would not sit down for a meal in a public setting on board with a staff member unless I was dressed on parity with that staff member. 

I am not trying to change your mind on the subject...but some people may not have thought of the possibility.

Great aside. I don't bring a tux on longer cruises anymore BUT I always bring a sport coat and a shirt/tie for potential dinners with the staff.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

27 minutes ago, DeepFreeze63 said:

Great aside. I don't bring a tux on longer cruises anymore BUT I always bring a sport coat and a shirt/tie for potential dinners with the staff.

I'm one of those guys who always tends more to the casual side of things but I totally agree with both of these gentlemen - I've never brought a tux on a regent cruise but I always have a sport coat or blazer with me just in case I need to bring things up a notch.  A small notch, granted, but a notch nonetheless.

I do draw the line at a tie, though.

4 hours ago, Ksedmom said:

We love to dress up but do not really want to be the only ones doing it. 

If you enjoy being dressy then you will not feel out of place.

Many guests exceed the minimum dress code even on the non formal optional evenings. 

Some like to be somewhat smarter on the nights of the Captain's receptions, Seven Seas Society nights and when going to one of the Speciality restaurants.

@Pcardad also makes a good point about dining with senior staff & officers.

On the other hand if you want to remain casual on occasion then there is always the Pool Grill or the possibility of dining in your suite.

1 hour ago, UUNetBill said:

I'm one of those guys who always tends more to the casual side of things but I totally agree with both of these gentlemen - I've never brought a tux on a regent cruise but I always have a sport coat or blazer with me just in case I need to bring things up a notch.  A small notch, granted, but a notch nonetheless.

I do draw the line at a tie, though.

Sounds like me.  I did bring a sports coat on our 28 day cruise and wore it once or twice.  But no tie!!

I will be content--and comfortable--being in the minority of gentlemen while wearing a tux on the two Formal Optional nights we hope (third try) to experience aboard Mariner during next April-May's  21-day final World Cruise--Tokyo to San Francisco--segment.   

GOARMY!

• Like 3

Normally my husband takes a sport jacket or two.  For our World Cruise he will take his tux.  If he messes it up, there is always dry cleaning on the ship.  I will take a couple of fancy tops, a short cocktail dress, and a long dress.  This should give me some options.

While I haven't worn a suit in the 17 years since retirement, I do enjoy wearing a sport coat and tie on formal optional nights. My wife likes to dress up just a little more than on normal casual nights and I like to match her by wearing something a little better than I wear when we go out at home, i.e. casual wear. It just makes it a little more of a special occasion for both of us.

We bring 2 jackets, one a more casual/contemporary one, and the other dark blue, with matching pants that passes as a suit. I bring a number of dresses, but only one cocktail dress. If you're onboard over the holidays as we were on our last cruise, we saw quite a few tuxes and gowns on Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve.

We were unexpectedly invited to dine with 2 staff members from the social/entertainment crew. We dressed "upscale contemporary"  which was the more casual jacket, dress pants and shirt, and a tie. I didn't wear my cocktail dress, but one that was slightly dressy, with real shoes instead of sandals.They were dressed very nicely, and we were comfortable with what we wore. While I kind of dreaded a meal with strangers, it went very well, and we had a good time.

Having just returned from 14 nights on the Splendor (so no formal night) I can say that the beauty of Regent is that you can dress up if you want to on any night and you get lots of appreciative looks from both men and women, and if you don't want to that is also absolutely fine. My husband always wears a sports jacket and I always wear a long dress or a jumpsuit and never feel out of place. The entertainment team and social hostess are usually dressed up and so you will never be alone! Previously on formal nights we found there were always those who wore tuxedos and long dresses on formal nights so if you like dressing up then go for it!

• Like 1