Do we or don't we? Will we need a covid test for 11/15 sailing?

Doing a cabin upgrade last night and the Royal Carib rep said they'd release testing requirement on Nov 1.  I thought they'd already said covid tests would be necessary through the end of the year?  Now I can't seem to find the email saying that and I'm wondering if I just read that here on CC and maybe it was someone's opinion and not policy?
I don't want to order expensive home tests if on the first RC is going to say "you don't need if vaxxed."  But I'm pretty sure I read somewheres that they had already made this call.  Wonder why the rep didn't know that?

On Sept 21, I received the Healthy Sailing Protocols for sailings departing from October 16-31.  I haven't received anything past  that but the website just says testing required with no end date.  My guess is Yes, you will need a test.

• Like 2

I also looked thru the Healthy Sail section, and there are no specific dates listed.  Just open-ended.  If I had to guess, I would say that we will still have to test, especially going into winter.   But, it would be a pleasant surprise if not.  I would think the protocols will be out soon, if they are going to change.

Edited by barbeyg
  • Like 1

I don't see RC making any changes to their guidelines for 2021. I think the vaccine requirements will stay the same as well as low ship occupancy. We have an 11/19 cruise and we ordered our at-home tests yesterday.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BuckeyeMark said:

Doing a cabin upgrade last night and the Royal Carib rep said they'd release testing requirement on Nov 1.  I thought they'd already said covid tests would be necessary through the end of the year?  Now I can't seem to find the email saying that and I'm wondering if I just read that here on CC and maybe it was someone's opinion and not policy?
I don't want to order expensive home tests if on the first RC is going to say "you don't need if vaxxed."  But I'm pretty sure I read somewheres that they had already made this call.  Wonder why the rep didn't know that?

Be careful of the Home tests. On the RCCL page it specifically states that a home test must be with supervision. My RCCL travel advisor indicated that home tests were permissible, but left out the part about supervision.  Read the information on the site. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Carol28 said:

Be careful of the Home tests. On the RCCL page it specifically states that a home test must be with supervision. My RCCL travel advisor indicated that home tests were permissible, but left out the part about supervision.  Read the information on the site. 

The BinaxNow home test from Abbott Labs is supervised.  You must download the Navica app and create an account.  Then, when you're ready to test, go to emed.com to establish a video conference with the monitors.  The first one verifies your test lot number and scans the code thingy to insure it's not out of date and that it's a genuine test, and he/she instructs and watches as you take off the seal, open the box, and do the test.  Then you have to wait 15 minutes for the test to develop.  (while you wait, they show you "informative videos"...:classic_wink:)

Then the 2nd person comes on 15 minutes later  (this one is the medical person) and verifies your test results.  You also get an email with a pdf result which you can print or save to show at check-in.

I tried it this afternoon, not because I have a cruise in the next couple of days (I wish!) but because of a possible exposure a few days ago.  (Yay!  I'm negative!)  I did the test  today just for my own information, so I didn't need the supervision for any official purpose.  But I'm glad I did it now so we'll be prepared when we have to test again before we cruise.  

Judy

Edited by foxgoodrich
grammar
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I suspect the changed coming Nov. 1 is that cruisers who are not vaccinated, will be able to sail on ships going to places other than the Bahamas.

Currently all ships are stopping in the Bahamas, and the Bahamas requires vaccines.

Next month they have ships going to Mexico which don't stop in the Bahamas, so if you're not vaccinated you should be able to get on board. 

That's a big change for them, and likely the only big one they'll want to take on at once.

4 hours ago, RCCL Fan said:

I suspect the changed coming Nov. 1 is that cruisers who are not vaccinated, will be able to sail on ships going to places other than the Bahamas.

Currently all ships are stopping in the Bahamas, and the Bahamas requires vaccines.

Next month they have ships going to Mexico which don't stop in the Bahamas, so if you're not vaccinated you should be able to get on board. 

That's a big change for them, and likely the only big one they'll want to take on at once.

The other big change coming soon is the approval of vaccines for the younger traveler. 

Not sure where the embarkation points are for the cruises you mention above, but right now they are requiring everyone age eligible to be vaccinated, I do not see that changing Nov 1

• Like 3

4 hours ago, RCCL Fan said:

I assume you are referring to florida sailings.  I disagree I do not see them allowing unvaxxed 12 and older to board ships on november 1st or anytime soon.   

Too soon to let their guard down. 

Imo, We have to get thru the winter holidays before they would make a major change like that.

Remember sailings to st thomas require 12 and older to be vaccinated.  

They can always change itineraries if they have to.

• Like 3

On 10/8/2021 at 6:52 PM, foxgoodrich said:

The BinaxNow home test from Abbott Labs is supervised.  You must download the Navica app and create an account.  Then, when you're ready to test, go to emed.com to establish a video conference with the monitors.  The first one verifies your test lot number and scans the code thingy to insure it's not out of date and that it's a genuine test, and he/she instructs and watches as you take off the seal, open the box, and do the test.  Then you have to wait 15 minutes for the test to develop.  (while you wait, they show you "informative videos"...:classic_wink:)

Then the 2nd person comes on 15 minutes later  (this one is the medical person) and verifies your test results.  You also get an email with a pdf result which you can print or save to show at check-in.

I tried it this afternoon, not because I have a cruise in the next couple of days (I wish!) but because of a possible exposure a few days ago.  (Yay!  I'm negative!)  I did the test  today just for my own information, so I didn't need the supervision for any official purpose.  But I'm glad I did it now so we'll be prepared when we have to test again before we cruise.  

Judy

Can a couple do the monitored test at the same time?  Or do we need to complete the first, then start over for the second?

thanks, Eddie

3 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

The other big change coming soon is the approval of vaccines for the younger traveler. 

Not sure where the embarkation points are for the cruises you mention above, but right now they are requiring everyone age eligible to be vaccinated, I do not see that changing Nov 1

Imagine the phones blowing up with all the cancellations if they remove vaccine requirement.  

their goal is to get back to full capacity.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Imagine the phones blowing up with all the cancellations if they remove vaccine requirement.  

their goal is to get back to full capacity.

I'd rather see them remove the testing requirement.  I wonder what the percentage of positives is because the CDC"s data on breakthrough cases shows very, very low numbers in vaccinated individuals.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Eddie Wilson said:

Can a couple do the monitored test at the same time?  Or do we need to complete the first, then start over for the second?

thanks, Eddie

You could sort of do them at the same time, but each one of you will need an 'account' so that's the first step.  Once you have established your log-in and password through the Navica App on your phone, then you can go to emed.com for the test.  You could test at the same time if you each have a device, or one could test, then the other if you only have one device.  I used my laptop.  My husband has a laptop too, so we could have both tested at the same time.  The proctors will only do one person at a time, so you would each be doing your individual test with your own individual proctors.