Anyone used Quest Diagnostics for 2 day test? California

Kay S

I found a location in California (we leave out of Los Angeles on the Majestic Princess) close enough to me and made an appointment.  We did the test in the car at a WalMart pharmacy drive-thru.  The Quest lab was across the street.  The test was marked priority.  It hasn't been 48 hours yet, but this whole Quest thing has me nervous.  They didn't ask for payment.  The young lady doing the test seemed confused about the Princess connection.    I'm not looking forward to sitting in my car at the port waiting for an email from Quest.  Did anyone here use the Quest service?  Did it work?

I only have one encouraging thing for you. When we sailed back in August, we got tested at a location near us. They never asked for payment either, but we got Medicare statements showing that Medicare paid for the shots. Hopefully, that might be what's going on with yours? I hope you get your tests in time.

• Like 1

Not all Quest labs are Princess affiliated.  I believe the ones contracted by Princess are out in the Lancaster area.  Quest labs are not guaranteeing return in 2 days.  Neither are any of the pharmacy (Walgreens/CVS/Walmart) regular PCR tests.  I am not taking any chances.  Doing a rapid antigen test wherever I can find one.

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, CenTexan said:

Kay S - could you please clarify? Did you have your Covid test done at Walmart or a Quest lab?

The test was ordered through Princess (link in the FAQ) for Quest Diagnostics, but the test itself was administered at the WalMart Drive Thru pharmacy across the street from the Quest lab.  Confused me, too.  The WalMart person said Quest came to pick up the tests from them.  Hence,  my anxiety about this.

15 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Not all Quest labs are Princess affiliated.  I believe the ones contracted by Princess are out in the Lancaster area.  Quest labs are not guaranteeing return in 2 days.  Neither are any of the pharmacy (Walgreens/CVS/Walmart) regular PCR tests.  I am not taking any chances.  Doing a rapid antigen test wherever I can find one.

This test was ordered through the Princess web site.  This was one of the testing sites offered that was not in Palmdale. (Near Redlands.) The person who did the test said we were getting Princess priority.  This was definitely one of the Quest labs affiliated with Princess.

• Like 1

From the Princess Health FAQ:

For U.S. guests, Princess has partnered with Quest Diagnostics to provide scheduling to no-cost* COVID-19 test appointments, with test results delivered within 48 hours after taking your test. Find a testing location near you.

Also from the FAQ:

ALL guests must produce a negative viral COVID-19 test (PCR or antigen) taken within 2 days of their embarkation on all Princess sailings.

We understand that it may be difficult for some of our guests to find testing that can provide results within a 2-day turnaround. Accordingly, for guests who did not receive their test results within 2 days prior to their embarkation, we are working to set up mobile testing sites near our embarkation ports to conduct COVID-19 testing the day before, or day of, your cruise departure.

The company providing the testing will charge a per-person fee (to be established; please check back on this page). Providers will not accept insurance, but you will be provided a receipt should you wish to submit the cost to your insurance carrier. Please consider this as a back-up alternative should you not be able to make arrangements prior to leaving home.

I'm wondering if I'm the only person who took advantage of Princess' Quest offer...

1 hour ago, Kay S said:

I'm wondering if I'm the only person who took advantage of Princess' Quest offer...

We're in San Luis Obispo County. The nearest Quest location is 90 miles away in Bakersfield so the choice of using Quest isn't very helpful to us. We used a CVS for our Majestic cruise last month and received the results in one day. However, I'm not totally comfortable with the 2 day rule for testing. The last thing I want is to be stressing out over getting the results in time for boarding.

Good news!  The tests came back negative.  This has taught me a lesson.  If I need to test like this again with a short turn around, I am definitely going with the proctored home test.

At least we know that the Princess/Quest thing is real.

• Like 4

We are scheduled for the Quest/Walmart testing but...... It was the only site that Princess had recommended.   3 friends just used the same site several weeks ago and they were told that they could not guarantee the results within 2 days.   They took the test on Thursday morning and they nervously had to wait until 9 p.m. on Friday to get their results.   We are seriously considering ordering the at  home tests as a back-up plan.  

3 minutes ago, DormMom said:

We are scheduled for the Quest/Walmart testing but...... It was the only site that Princess had recommended.   3 friends just used the same site several weeks ago and they were told that they could not guarantee the results within 2 days.   They took the test on Thursday morning and they nervously had to wait until 9 p.m. on Friday to get their results.   We are seriously considering ordering the at  home tests as a back-up plan.  

Make sure the person who does your test marks it "priority."  Depending on how long you have until your next cruise, ordering the home test kits is a good idea.

3 minutes ago, Kay S said:

Make sure the person who does your test marks it "priority."  Depending on how long you have until your next cruise, ordering the home test kits is a good idea.

Our first scheduled cruise is Nov. 30 and the second one is January 4. Thanks for mentioning "priority: request as might not thought to request.    

Edited by DormMom
added Thanks

Just now, DormMom said:

Our first scheduled cruise is Nov. 30 and the second one is January 4.   

Just now, RedSoxfansgirl said:

On majestic out of LA, didn’t get my results in time, I was able to test at pier. $150 for people who ignored the test. I didn’t have to pay at the pier. 

I was wondering about that.  Did Princess do the testing?  Someone stated that there was a possibility of a testing site near the IOWA ship???  

13 minutes ago, RedSoxfansgirl said:

On majestic out of LA, didn’t get my results in time, I was able to test at pier. $150 for people who ignored the test. I didn’t have to pay at the pier. 

That's good to know.  So Princess found you an alternative (like they promised)?

17 hours ago, Kay S said:

Good news!  The tests came back negative.  This has taught me a lesson.  If I need to test like this again with a short turn around, I am definitely going with the proctored home test.

At least we know that the Princess/Quest thing is real.

I'm really glad you got your results back in time! I was wondering about that this morning. 😃

I tried to answer while on board the Majestic yesterday, but for some reason CC had me partially logged in (I could see my name, see alerts for reactions to my comments, view content history) but not correctly, as any time I tried to post or react to someone’s post it would tell me to log in, and then give me an error message with both logging in or logging off attempts.  😛 

Now I’m home and seems CC is happier with my internet.  

So, we did use Quest via a Walmart drive thru in Palmdale.  We used the link from Princess when we scheduled it.  Our appointment was at 10 am on Monday, and we had test results around 4pm on Tuesday.  The test packet had a card in it with “Priority” in large letters. We supplied our insurance info and there was no cost to us.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Kay S said:

My concern about pre ordering test kits for home is the expiration dates. I understand that many of them expire in January and there is a supply chain issue since companies are buying them up like crazy. We sail from SF in mid January

23 hours ago, Kay S said:

From the Princess Health FAQ:

For U.S. guests, Princess has partnered with Quest Diagnostics to provide scheduling to no-cost* COVID-19 test appointments, with test results delivered within 48 hours after taking your test. Find a testing location near you.

Also from the FAQ:

ALL guests must produce a negative viral COVID-19 test (PCR or antigen) taken within 2 days of their embarkation on all Princess sailings.

We understand that it may be difficult for some of our guests to find testing that can provide results within a 2-day turnaround. Accordingly, for guests who did not receive their test results within 2 days prior to their embarkation, we are working to set up mobile testing sites near our embarkation ports to conduct COVID-19 testing the day before, or day of, your cruise departure.

The company providing the testing will charge a per-person fee (to be established; please check back on this page). Providers will not accept insurance, but you will be provided a receipt should you wish to submit the cost to your insurance carrier. Please consider this as a back-up alternative should you not be able to make arrangements prior to leaving home.

i clicked on the site and it says results back in 1 -3 days.  Were you told it would be within 2 days  when you had the test taken ?

On 10/8/2021 at 5:36 PM, shellbeachjim said:

We're in San Luis Obispo County. The nearest Quest location is 90 miles away in Bakersfield so the choice of using Quest isn't very helpful to us. We used a CVS for our Majestic cruise last month and received the results in one day. However, I'm not totally comfortable with the 2 day rule for testing. The last thing I want is to be stressing out over getting the results in time for boarding.

In California there is no charge for testing.

See https://covid19.ca.gov/get-tested/ for information and to find a testing site.