Weather in September

Suzi66

We are going to be doing the first leg of a B2B2B cruise in September 2022 starting in Vancouver and doing Alaska for 11 days and then doing the transpacific to get us back to Australia. This is our 3rd attempt to get to Alaska with the previous 2 being cancelled.
I am wondering what sort of temperatures I will need to look to pack for for the first section.  Please don't say just like you would in Australia as I live in a desert area where a very cold winter's day is 12C but most of the time it is 15 to 18 over winter.  (Mind you my husband will still wear shorts when I am rugged up in a thick sweater).
Thanks for any help

If you look, this is discussed here frequently. Generally,  the answer is cooler and wetter...40s and 50s. A Google search for a couple of your ports would be helpful.  Try " Juneau September Weather ", for example. 

The very common recommendation here for Alaska is layers, with the outer layer being water and wind proof.  This is even more important in September. 

8 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

If you look, this is discussed here frequently. Generally,  the answer is cooler and wetter...40s and 50s. A Google search for a couple of your ports would be helpful.  Try " Juneau September Weather ", for example. 

The very common recommendation here for Alaska is layers, with the outer layer being water and wind proof.  This is even more important in September. 

So is 50's late 50's (so around 15C) or is it at the other end?  I have googled and I have got a range of 7C-14C for most places we are visiting.  I was hoping that people could help me and tell me if the 7 is more common or the 14.

Suzi:  It 

14 minutes ago, Suzi66 said:

So is 50's late 50's (so around 15C) or is it at the other end?  I have googled and I have got a range of 7C-14C for most places we are visiting.  I was hoping that people could help me and tell me if the 7 is more common or the 14.

Suzi:  It will vary from year to year and week to week.  But in September southeast Alaska is entering into their rainy season.  One week you could experience heavy rain but the following week not as bad.  Be prepared for rain (ie, a water proof, not water resistant, outer layer).  Since you live in a desert area be prepared for a damp wet cold and possible wind.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Suzi66 said:

Weather in Alaska is quite varied. If you look at some of the reports from this year's cruises, they had a couple of good storms this September. We have experienced  sleet the first few days of September. Nobody is going to tell you if, in advance, where it's going to to be in the range. "The range" is historic data. It could be anywhere in the range.

I cruised Alaska in September 2016.  It was cool, and cloudy in Juneau,  in Glacier Bay, it was COLD.  In Skagway, it was drizzly and cool, and on the way up into Carcross Yukon, the temps kept dropping, the drizzle turned into rain, and on the way back to Skagway, the rain changed to snow.  Got all shades of winter in one day.

Our day in Glacier Bay, I wore a turtleneck, a sweater, a vest, and a jacket.  Clear blue sky, and cold! Loved it!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, donaldsc said:

I usually tell people to go to the internet to find information when it is a simple search but as you are from Australia and I like Australians - check out this site - https://weatherspark.com/

DON

Thanks for this.
I am laughing when I look at where I live though.  It just says hot where I live for summer.  I would have thought summer weather of 40 to 48C would have been sweltering.  According to that site we rarely have any days over 42C.  I'm going to have to disagree with that.  We even had a couple of days over 50C last year.  My airconditioner had died at the time and my youngest son and I had to move in with my in-laws (hubby was working away and staying in a beautifully refridgerated area while I was sweltering.  My classroom only has a basic aircon as well - what we call a swampy.  Water pumping over pads and air blows over them and into the room)

12 hours ago, Suzi66 said:

Thanks for this.
I am laughing when I look at where I live though.  It just says hot where I live for summer.  I would have thought summer weather of 40 to 48C would have been sweltering.  According to that site we rarely have any days over 42C.  I'm going to have to disagree with that.  We even had a couple of days over 50C last year.  My airconditioner had died at the time and my youngest son and I had to move in with my in-laws (hubby was working away and staying in a beautifully refridgerated area while I was sweltering.  My classroom only has a basic aircon as well - what we call a swampy.  Water pumping over pads and air blows over them and into the room)

That is fairly common, especially in coastal communities.

When working days, I would leave the ship at 15:00 with temps on the low 20's, after driving 30 miles inland, at home the temp was often 30C.

In Vancouver, our temperatures are recorded at the airport, which is right by the ocean. Our temps 30 miles inland are normally 5 - 8 C warmer than the airport.

11 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

That is fairly common, especially in coastal communities.

When working days, I would leave the ship at 15:00 with temps on the low 20's, after driving 30 miles inland, at home the temp was often 30C.

In Vancouver, our temperatures are recorded at the airport, which is right by the ocean. Our temps 30 miles inland are normally 5 - 8 C warmer than the airport.

If only I lived in a coastal community.  It is 450km to our nearest beach which is in Adelaide.  We do have the only inland lifesaving community here in Australia though as we have one of Australia's major rivers and a bit of sand that everyone flocks too when the temperatures reach too high to bear.

• Like 1