Tenders @ Half Moon Cay?

FOPMan

We’ve sailed quite a bit on Holland America and enjoy Half Moon Cay.

I am a wheelchair user, and it seems like Holland America has upped their caution about Half Moon Cay and accessibility. My fear is they’ve shifted from using island-based tenders/ferries to using ship-based tenders (lifeboats).

Can people sailing after 10/23/21 and visiting HMC post back about what boats are being used for passenger transport at Half Moon Cay?

Thanks!

1 minute ago, FOPMan said:

I am a wheelchair user, and it seems like Holland America has upped their caution about Half Moon Cay and accessibility. My fear is they’ve shifted from using island-based tenders/ferries to using ship-based tenders (lifeboats).

Can people sailing after 10/23/21 and visiting HMC post back about what boats are being used for passenger transport at Half Moon Cay?

Thanks!

I believe it is an extra precaution to be aware. My sweet husband uses a WC. We have a little fold up transport chair I carry on no problem. There's some very passenger conscious helpers at the tenders. We've not had any issues. 

20 minutes ago, FOPMan said:

Thanks!

If someone doesn't report here before, I'll be happy to let you know in early November.  😎

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, FOPMan said:

Thanks!

I was at HMC last week on a Carnival Cruise and they still used the island tenders. I would imagine HAL would be doing the same... But why not call and ask the Access and Compliance desk ahead of time and see what info they have?

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, FOPMan said:

I too use a wheelchair and am curious what you mean by they've "upped their caution about HMC and accessibility" and what this is based on.

2 hours ago, 510picker said:

I too use a wheelchair and am curious what you mean by they've "upped their caution about HMC and accessibility" and what this is based on.

Not sure what OP sees, but on our upcoming itinerary for HMC it shows "wheelchair access limited" but it also notes the same on Basseterre and Georgetown (Cayman Islands) 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
13 minutes ago, bdd123 said:

@Seasick Sailor @510picker

Does anyone know what wheelchair access limited means?  My wife can do wheelchair, rollator, etc, but stairs takes a minimum of me assisting and limited to "a few".  We usually do wheelchair if she has to be mobile for more than a couple hours (more comfortable to sit on).

The tenders to Half Moon Cay are wheelchair accessible. The tenders have an upper and lower level. You load from the ship onto the tenders to the upper level and there is a ramp to get to the lower level, which is where you unload onto the island. There is a large ramp that folds down on the front of the tender that allows a wheelchair to roll off the tender to the island. The staff have always been very helpful getting on/off the tenders. Hope this helps. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, 510picker said:

The tenders to Half Moon Cay are wheelchair accessible. The tenders have an upper and lower level. You load from the ship onto the tenders to the upper level and there is a ramp to get to the lower level, which is where you unload onto the island. There is a large ramp that folds down on the front of the tender that allows a wheelchair to roll off the tender to the island. The staff have always been very helpful getting on/off the tenders. Hope this helps. 

THANK YOU!

The four HMC tenders - Henry Hudson (245 pax), Anne Bonny (245 pax), Rookie (140 pax) and Stingray (250 pax) - are always first up when ships call at the island. When there is only one ship tendering, that is what you will get and see as far as getting pax back and forth to the island. When there is a second HAL ship (HAL ships do not visit HMC with non-HAL ships, i.e. Carnival), the smaller of the two will use four of her own tenders to get pax to the island. However, during the morning and afternoon rush, the larger ship will often "loan" one of the big island tenders to the smaller ship to help out.

As has been stated, the Hudson and Bonny are wheelchair accessible with ship's crew providing assistance in getting the mobility impaired guest onto the island tender via a gangway supplied by the tender. Each of the two sister/identical island tenders have a ramp located at the stern of the upper deck which will take you from the upper deck to the lower deck from where disembarkation takes place from a "landing craft-type" ramp at the bow which is hydraulically lowered at the island's marina/tender dock. 

Bottom line, you should not have any issues getting your loved one in a wheelchair back and forth to HMC 

HAL Half Moon Cay tender Anne Bonny 245 pax.jpg

HAL Half Moon Cay tender Henry Hudson & MADM at Half Moon Cay, Bahamas.jpg

HAL Half Moon Cay tender Henry Hudson approaching MADM.jpg

HAL Half Moon Cay tender Rookie 140 pax #2.JPG

HAL Half Moon Cay tender Stingray 250 pax.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3