BinaxNOW Covid-19 from RCCL/OPTUM- Buyer Beware

mcaron

Buyer Beware- Optum, the Company that RCCL has contracted with to ship Covid-19 Home test kits is shipping old product with expires in December 2021, We have two cruises booked between now and January and pre -ordered test kits for both cruises after reading about a pending nationwide test availability shortage. If you are thinking about ordering from Optum as recommended by RCCL you may want to explore other options. I spoke with both Optum and Abbott Labs Customer Service and they were of no help.

1 minute ago, mcaron said:

Buyer Beware- Optum, the Company that RCCL has contracted with to ship Covid-19 Home test kits is shipping old product with expires in December 2021, We have two cruises booked between now and January and pre -ordered test kits for both cruises after reading about a pending nationwide test availability shortage. If you are thinking about ordering from Optum as recommended by RCCL you may want to explore other options. I spoke with both Optum and Abbott Labs Customer Service and they were of no help.

This has been discussed on several threads already.  They are sending out what stock they have and had previously had the expiration dates printed on the box extended with the info that it's possible they could be extended again, but no one has heard anything.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, BND said:

This has been discussed on several threads already.  They are sending out what stock they have and had previously had the expiration dates printed on the box extended with the info that it's possible they could be extended again, but no one has heard anything.  

Agree, at least 8 threads talking about this last month. Most resent from 36hrs ago:  

• Like 2

I’ve recommended buying an extra kit and/or have an alternate plan should things go wrong - drop card on floor, test results are indeterminate, or the reagent bottle is empty. The latter happened to me, so it was good to have a spare.

Both Optum and eMed offered to send replacements. In fact, Optum sent three kits to make it right.

P.S. None of the travel partners are “selling” these kits. They have entered into a cooperative marketing arrangement with Optum to brand a page with their logo.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, mcaron said:

According the expert SMOKEYBANDIT purchasing extra test kits is HORDING. I love how some people feel the need to impose there expert opinions on others.

I do not feel it is hoarding. After CVS cancelled 2 appointments in two (!) days on us in September and ordered kit was the only thing that saved our cruise... we started thinking about having tests for upcoming cruises. Especially after people started posting that shortages of BinaxNow are starting too.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

The buyer beware is don't buy tests to horde them

I have 2 cruises less than 3 months apart. Ordered 2 weeks before first cruise. Wife and I. That is 4 tests, plus at least one extra in case one is bad . So 5 tests. 6 pack is cheaper than 2 3packs or 2 2 packs. I lost the lottery...my tests expire 1 week before my second cruise. Hopefully they extend them a few more months. It looks like they were sending out the freshest ones first, the replies from early/mid sept were showing late Jan to first week of feb modified expirations. Seems the batches being sent now are early Jan to late dec expirations. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mcaron said:

According the expert SMOKEYBANDIT purchasing extra test kits is HORDING. I love how some people feel the need to impose there expert opinions on others.

Fine, buy a bunch of tests you'll never use because they'll expire before you plan to use them then you'll complain when they expire.

That's hoarding and that's a waste of money. 

Thank you Dad-( Smokeybandit) Once again please keep your opinions to yourself, Unless you have something constructive to say- Keep it to your self- My OP was not a complaint but rather i was passing along information that I thought might be useful to others on this board. How i chose to spend my money is no concern of yours cruise expert.