Christmas Blockage at ports

sandancer

Getting a little concerned about media reports that Southampton and other ports may be blockaded at Christmas. We are on a pre-Christmas Cunard cruise and would be very disappointed if it was cancelled given that we have had 4 cruises and 2 holidays cancelled in the last 18 months. How worried should we be?

It's not about Christmas, and it's not about UK ports.

French fishermen (surpise, surprise 🙄) are threatening a blockade of FRENCH  Channel ports like Boulogne, Calais, Dunkirk, mebbe Le Havre & Dieppe, and the French end of the Channel tunnel to disrupt Xmas supplies to the UK.

And that might happen as early as the end of this week.

It'll not affect cruise ships (but may mean  re-jigging any cruises with planned port-of-call at Le Havre) nor supplies arriving by freighter. 

So enjoy your Cunard cruise - and spare a thought to the rest of us left behind & possibly turkey-less at Christmas 😏

JB 🙂

5 hours ago, sandancer said:

Sorry I didn’t make myself clear. I meant the rumour that the road transport unions are threatening to blockage Southampton docks. 

That's a news story that passed me by.

The threat has been a minor news item, so the media clearly aren't taking it seriously at the moment. But it's national, not specifically Southampton, and the current driver-shortage grief is at Felixtowe - which would be the main target.

TBH, we've got enough problems with driver shortages, protesters blocking motorways, Covid,  vaccine conspiracy theorists, panic buyers, and snowflakes & virtue-signallers, and what we don't need is unions taking advantage.😡

There are currently no freight or container ships lying at anchorages off Southampton, nor is there any logjam at Southampton's container port. The container port has a separate port entrance so road transport unions will not be interested in cruise terminals or ships - and a large proportion of containers off-loaded at Southampton go straight onto trains in the port.

US cruise ships - including the Queens - are replenished in the States, so they're not dependent on UK trucks.

Can't totally reassure you about your cruise, but I doubt that road transport unions will affect it. 🙂

JB 🙂

3 hours ago, John Bull said:

TBH, we've got enough problems with driver shortages, protesters blocking motorways, Covid,  vaccine conspiracy theorists, panic buyers, and snowflakes & virtue-signallers, and what we don't need is unions taking advantage.😡

Most of the problems we have in the UK at the moment have nothing whatever to do with what you disparagingly and unhelpfully term 'snowflakes and virtue-signallers' - they've been caused by people absolutely at the other end of the spectrum banging on about sovereignty without the slightest concept of what it means.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

Most of the problems we have in the UK at the moment have nothing whatever to do with what you disparagingly and unhelpfully term 'snowflakes and virtue-signallers' - they've been caused by people absolutely at the other end of the spectrum banging on about sovereignty without the slightest concept of what it means.

Yep, very disparaging about snowflakes & virtue-signallers.

But it's got nothing to do with sovereignty.

I've got my views & you've got yours, Harry.

But I'm not gonna get drawn into a political debate on these pages.

Happy sailings

JB 🙂