Hudson River cruises?

Kitty Ellas Mom

Someone I know just expressed an interest in doing a cruise down the Hudson River someday, to see the fancy houses etc.  He wants to see the locations of the Hudson River School paintings.  Can anyone give me any info about these types of cruises?  In my quick searches I found a company doing day cruises and one company doing week long cruises that sound like what he intended, called American Cruise Lines.  He's not intending to do this right away, just "someday," so there is time to research.  I know a lot about ocean cruises and very little about river cruises.  Thank you.

55 minutes ago, Kitty Ellas Mom said:

Someone I know just expressed an interest in doing a cruise down the Hudson River someday, to see the fancy houses etc.  He wants to see the locations of the Hudson River School paintings.  Can anyone give me any info about these types of cruises?  In my quick searches I found a company doing day cruises and one company doing week long cruises that sound like what he intended, called American Cruise Lines.  He's not intending to do this right away, just "someday," so there is time to research.  I know a lot about ocean cruises and very little about river cruises.  Thank you.

American Cruise Lines runs week-long itineraries from New York to Albany stopping at points of interest : West Point,  FDR's home, etc -- each October -- probably to also attract fall foliage fanatics.

They are fairly pricey.

On 10/16/2021 at 5:16 PM, Kitty Ellas Mom said:

Can anyone give me any info about these types of cruises? In my quick searches I found a company doing day cruises and one company doing week long cruises that sound like what he intended, called American Cruise Lines.

For substantial cruises, ACL is about it for the time being. There had been another line, Blount Small Ship Adventures, but its operations were suspended with the pandemic, and it is unclear if that line will be coming back or not. Seastreak operates occasional trips along the Hudson River to West Point, similar to the former Hudson Day Line cruises, usually in connection with events, but it is a rather short "cruise" and maybe not the extent to which you're expecting. Recently Hornblower Cruises & Events acquired American Queen Voyages, and the subsidiary operations of Victory Cruise Lines. These inland and small vessel operating companies would certainly be of the character to operate along the Hudson River, though they do not do so presently. But keep your eyes open as to their future plans. (Pearl Seas Cruises is similarly situated, but a much smaller operation and one that seems more focused on serving the St. Lawrence River and Great Lakes with its single vessel, and probably not the Hudson River and Erie Canal.) Hope this information is helpful.

34 minutes ago, GTJ said:

There had been another line, Blount Small Ship Adventures, but its operations were suspended with the pandemic, and it is unclear if that line will be coming back or not

They won't be coming back.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/blount-small-ship-adventures-cruise-line-shuts-down/

“It was really just the requirement that all the cruise lines had to shut down for COVID, and at this point we decided not to start again,” Blount Boats president and CFO Marcia Blount told WorkBoat. “What we really decided was to focus on building.”

https://www.seatrade-cruise.com/finance/blount-small-ship-adventures-ceases-operations

'Yes, this is confirmation that Blount Small Ship Cruise Lines has ceased operations,' Julie Blount, EVP of Blount Boats Inc., told TravelPulse. 'The Blount family is selling its three overnight cruise ships and putting all its emphasis on the family shipbuilding business. The reason was due to the coronavirus pandemic.'

• Like 1

On 10/17/2021 at 7:30 PM, njhorseman said:

'The Blount family is selling its three overnight cruise ships and putting all its emphasis on the family shipbuilding business. The reason was due to the coronavirus pandemic.'

I have not heard if any of the vessels have actually been sold. As for ending the sale and Blount resuming service at some future date, an optimist might say, "So you're telling me there's a chance," notwithstanding it being one chance in a million. I am not hopeful of that chance.