Venice Hotels

cojomo

Look for any hotel that has a water door so that the water taxis can pull right up, both from the airport and to the ship.  The hotel website will mention this.   If you want to use public transport, look at hotels that are no more than a few steps from a vaporetto or Alilaguna dock.  The routes are available in the internet.

For example, the Bauer Palazzo would fit both descriptions.

Edited by marazul

Hotel Olimpia is just two small bridges from Piazzale Roma, the land transport hub for Venice. Clean and comfortable and won't break the bank!

Look at Veniceforvisitors.com. Absolutely fantastic site for everything about Venice.

58 minutes ago, margbem said:

Hotel Olimpia is just two small bridges from Piazzale Roma, the land transport hub for Venice. Clean and comfortable and won't break the bank!

It really depends what you're looking to do in Venice, and for how long. If you're staying one night, and primarily want ease of transportation to/from airport and the cruise terminal, then a hotel like Olimpia could be a good option. If you're staying for a couple days and want to be able to walk around the city and visit tourist sites, you might want a hotel closer to the Grand Canal and the nearer St. Mark's Square.  We liked the Hotel Locanda Vivaldi, on the Grand Canal less than a 5 minute walk from San Marco, especially if you pay for a room with a new of the canal, and the smaller Hotel Le Isole -- but water taxis can't come up the narrow canal this hotel is on, so it entails a roughly 150 meter walk to the San Zaccaria vaporetto stop.

Our first ever cruise was on the Odyssey terminating in Venice.

As it was our 20th wedding anniversary I splashed out on the San Clemente Palace which was amazing.

I remember their private launches to and from the island were fabulous and dinner on the patio is still a meal we talk of now and that was 11 years ago.

Many thanks everyone for the replies. We expect to arrive in Venice and spend a couple of nights before the cruise. Never been before so it would be silly not too.

Another question, with regards the flight inclusive offer from Seabourn, will they allow people to fly to Venice at a time and from an airport of their choice?

1 hour ago, cojomo said:

Many thanks everyone for the replies. We expect to arrive in Venice and spend a couple of nights before the cruise. Never been before so it would be silly not too.

Another question, with regards the flight inclusive offer from Seabourn, will they allow people to fly to Venice at a time and from an airport of their choice?

Seabourn now uses the same online booking engine as Princess and HAL.  Once you have booked a cruise you can access this site and choose from many flight options.  You can also call SB and their folks will assist you in booking from a large list of options.  Their system does allow you to choose airports and dates.

Hank

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

Seabourn now uses the same online booking engine as Princess and HAL.  Once you have booked a cruise you can access this site and choose from many flight options.  You can also call SB and their folks will assist you in booking from a large list of options.  Their system does allow you to choose airports and dates.

Hank

Many thanks for that information Hank. 

You might want to check where you will embark for your cruise since Italy closed the main cruise port along the Grand Canal.   Many of the cruise lines have moved their operations to the port in Trieste..still quite easy to enjoy Venice and then transfer over to Trieste for embarkation.

5 hours ago, basor said:

You might want to check where you will embark for your cruise since Italy closed the main cruise port along the Grand Canal.   Many of the cruise lines have moved their operations to the port in Trieste..still quite easy to enjoy Venice and then transfer over to Trieste for embarkation.

Some smaller cruise ships are sailing from the Fusina terminal, on the mainland just across the causeway from Venice. Check-in is still at the Marittima cruise port on Venice, and then passengers are bused over to the ship at Fusina. That 15-20 minute bus ride is definitely preferable to a 2-hour trip to Trieste (or possibly Ravenna) . I agree that it's necessary to check with Seabourn to find out where each cruise will actually be departing from. 

17 hours ago, cojomo said:

And I take it that you cannot book your flight through Seabourn until you have paid for your cruise in full?

We just booked a cruise and have paid only our initial deposit, but I can access the FlightEase part of the Seabourn site to book air.

5 hours ago, cruiseej said:

Some smaller cruise ships are sailing from the Fusina terminal, on the mainland just across the causeway from Venice. Check-in is still at the Marittima cruise port on Venice, and then passengers are bused over to the ship at Fusina. That 15-20 minute bus ride is definitely preferable to a 2-hour trip to Trieste (or possibly Ravenna) . I agree that it's necessary to check with Seabourn to find out where each cruise will actually be departing from. 

We just booked a cruise and have paid only our initial deposit, but I can access the FlightEase part of the Seabourn site to book air.

ok many thanks for the information

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Another vote for the Gritti Palace from me. There are lots of photos of visiting actors and famous peeps on the walls and one (Rupert Everett perhaps?) has written on it something along the lines of  "Eye wateringly expensive and worth every penny! ". Indeed it is sublime, with stunning views of the Salute across the Grand canal. Water taxi right at the hotel's own dock to wherever you need to go.  A very special and unforgettable hotel.

On 10/20/2021 at 8:03 AM, cojomo said:

And I take it that you cannot book your flight through Seabourn until you have paid for your cruise in full?

That is a great question and we are not sure of the answer.  I do know there is an option to request immediate "ticketing" which means you must pay for the air and accept the terms that go along with purchasing your air (generally it will be non-refundable).  But I do not know if SB will allow you to use this ticketing option prior to final payment.   I do know that you can book your "flex air" reservation once you have paid your cruise deposit.  But we recently learned that if using a Future Cruise credit to make a reservation you still cannot book flex air until you have actually paid the normal deposit.   This recently happened to us when we booked a spring 2022 Ovation cruise while we were on another SB cruise.  Our reservation was made with a future cruise credit.  A few weeks ago I went to book our air on the Seabourn online booking engine and although I could pull up the prices It would not allow me to actually book our air.  I called SB and they explained to me that I was locked out of booking air until we satisfied the regular deposit.  We simply paid the entire cruise fare (which was due in a few weeks anyway) so that we could take advantage of an amazing Business Class deal.

Hank

You can definitely book air far in advance of final payment. In that final payment is generally 90 days in advance of the cruise, that's already late for a lot of air bookings -- and especially for Business Class seats which tend to get sold much earlier. Unlike us as individual consumers, Seabourn can book and hold air seats (and you can even choose your seats on some airlines) without the seats being ticketed (e.g. Seabourn actually paying the airline) or you paying Seabourn. They won't actually ticket (pay for) the flight until after your final payment.