Just some questions.

Dolebludger

Mostly inclusive 

open bar for most liquors except premium. E.g., Marker’s Mark covered but Markers 46 would be $3 per drink/shot

Soda, coffee and tea free

the hop on hop off tours are covered but premium tours are not, usually the cost of the premium @$79. Example Nottoway house tour covered but if you want to go to Houmas House that would be a premium tour

air and transfers to/from airport not included but transfer from hotel to boat included

free night hotel prior to embarking plus breakfast at hotel the morning of embarkation. Free Covid test too!

tips are not included

not sure what you would include for activities but I would say included. Bikes are available for free. Occasionally dance classes free. Pilot house tour free. Bingo you pay for card(s) and all the $$ goes back to the players, lol no free cruise giveaways like on a mega cruise.

I find it nearly impossible to spend onboard credit especially on the Countess with only a gift closet and if an itinerary has no premium tours. Onboard credit can’t be used to pay tips.

What did I miss on your list?

On 10/18/2021 at 5:07 PM, AQJazz said:

Mostly inclusive 

open bar for most liquors except premium. E.g., Marker’s Mark covered but Markers 46 would be $3 per drink/shot

Soda, coffee and tea free

the hop on hop off tours are covered but premium tours are not, usually the cost of the premium @$79. Example Nottoway house tour covered but if you want to go to Houmas House that would be a premium tour

air and transfers to/from airport not included but transfer from hotel to boat included

free night hotel prior to embarking plus breakfast at hotel the morning of embarkation. Free Covid test too!

tips are not included

not sure what you would include for activities but I would say included. Bikes are available for free. Occasionally dance classes free. Pilot house tour free. Bingo you pay for card(s) and all the $$ goes back to the players, lol no free cruise giveaways like on a mega cruise.

I find it nearly impossible to spend onboard credit especially on the Countess with only a gift closet and if an itinerary has no premium tours. Onboard credit can’t be used to pay tips.

What did I miss on your list?

You can’t use OBC for gratuities?  News to me.  

On 10/20/2021 at 8:36 AM, TinCan782 said:

Nope. Gratuities are not paid with OBC....you pay them, and other things, on your final statement at the end of the cruise.

The agent I booked through told me differently but then I'm not sure I trust her.  I usually book with my own TA but she couldn't offer me the same price.  

One nice thing about American Queen is that you can book premium excursions at any time but they are not charged when booked.  They are charged to your onboard account so that the onboard credit will help to offset them.  Other than the premium excursions and the gift shop there's not much to use the credit for.

• Like 2

On 10/18/2021 at 6:07 PM, AQJazz said:

Their brochure, which I receive often, seems to suggest that only coffee, tea, and nonalcoholic beverages are included.

4 hours ago, Mackdogmolly said:

Their brochure, which I receive often, seems to suggest that only coffee, tea, and nonalcoholic beverages are included.

On the Duchess this past August, ALL alcohol was "free" - the exception being the premium drinks which were $3 each as AQJazz said.

11 hours ago, Mackdogmolly said:

We have a booking we are really looking forward to on the American Queen from Memphis to New Orleans.  It’s been rolled from 2020, to 2021 and now it’s hopefully to be 2022.  Because the 2020 cruise was a late cancellation just at the start of the pandemic it was fully paid.  We were offered an incentive to move rather than ask for a refund and believing this pandemic would be over soon (oh dear…..) we went for an incentive.  We took the drinks package and a slightly better room.

I do see a lot of reference now to drinks being included on the American Queen vessel (We did know one of the others did include them even in 2020) so it may be we have taken a wrong call and should have taken the OBC offered instead. It was very clear OBC was for tours and in the shop although that was not a problem as like most UK guests gratuities were rolled into the cruise costs as happens on all lines that separately charge gratuities for us.  However, if I look at other brochures for 2022 drinks are not included.  It may be they had an incentive was put in for 2021 and they are reverting in 2022 to tea, coffee and soft drinks. 

We are so looking to this trip which is part of a much wanted month taking in Nashville, Missouri, Memphis and New Orleans and my DHs extensive bucket list - we did a lot of research pre booking with this company so we know their good and less good points.  

If drinks are now included, we took a wrong call in 2020 but my Crystal ball was in dry dock then and it’s still not managed to get out. 

Just a couple of days ago I received a large brochure "2022 Voyage Collection" - very different from previous brochures.  On page 6 it states (among other all-inclusive items) "Unlimited beverages including an extensive wine list, choice spirits, local craft beers and specialty coffees".

• Like 3

1 hour ago, LDVinNC said:

Just a couple of days ago I received a large brochure "2022 Voyage Collection" - very different from previous brochures.  On page 6 it states (among other all-inclusive items) "Unlimited beverages including an extensive wine list, choice spirits, local craft beers and specialty coffees".

My 2022 brochure says complimentary wine and beer at lunch and dinner and “nightly complimentary cocktail hours.” As well as complimentary non-alcoholic beverages 24 hours a day. I wish they would make up their mind!

• Like 1

Off the American Queen one week ago. Alcoholic drinks were included any time bars were open. We asked about an upgrade to get premium spirits. Was told by the purser it would be $149 for the 7 day voyage to upgrade. My husband decided he could make do with the "well" drinks offered. He then found a friendly bartender and ordered the upgraded drinks (and tipped her generously). Much cheaper options than the upgraded package.

Our final bill included the 2 premium excursions (that were not cancelled) and the daily tips. 

• Like 2

Just now, adstz said:

Off the American Queen one week ago. Alcoholic drinks were included any time bars were open. We asked about an upgrade to get premium spirits. Was told by the purser it would be $149 for the 7 day voyage to upgrade. My husband decided he could make do with the "well" drinks offered. He then found a friendly bartender and ordered the upgraded drinks (and tipped her generously). Much cheaper options than the upgraded package.

Our final bill included the 2 premium excursions (that were not cancelled) and the daily tips. 

What can you tell us about then liquer? I recently heard that it wasnt good and that it was overpriced in terms of cocktails and stuff. Did you drink much on board? 

Just now, Roger88 said:

What can you tell us about then liquer? I recently heard that it wasnt good and that it was overpriced in terms of cocktails and stuff. Did you drink much on board? 

Alcohol is included in the price of your cruise.

I don't drink much but my husband would have a few every day.  He mostly drank Jameson's. The bartender he got to know poured a nice stiff drink. There was no charge as long as you didn't ask for premium brands. (but if you tipped well you could get the premium brand without being charged)

One bartender tried to tell my husband that Myer's Rum was premium.  The next day he had no objections to pouring it without charging.

The people at our dinner table liked chardonnay. Every night at dinner there was a red and a white wine offered as the wine of the day. You could also order whatever wine you wanted from the bar.

I drink mostly Diet Coke and it came from a gun. 

Alcohol during the dinner service was mostly non existent unless you were drinking wine. My husband had to go to the closest bar to get his own drinks. Of course, dinner service in general was terrible.

But that's another story.

4 hours ago, adstz said:

Of course, dinner service in general was terrible.

But that's another story.

OK very anxious to hear that story as we sail on the American Countess in 2022.

We took one Viking River cruise from Budapest to Amsterdam years ago and made the mistake of comparing it to our 40+ ocean cruises which was a big mistake. Ocean cruises hire very experienced servers from foreign countries. The river cruise had mostly inexperienced people in comparison. Meal selections were underwhelming and luch buffet left much to be desired.  As a result we went back to ocean cruises.

I'm curious to hear your thoughts....was it American Queen, Covid, or inexperienced people from the USA that made the dinner service terrible? 

These USA river cruises are so very, very expensive.  Do you think we should go not expecting much except to just enjoy the river and figure the price is just what the price is?  We can still cancel and just loose $500 and our insurance premium so anxious to hear your thoughts.  Thanks

4 minutes ago, Oldone79 said:

OK very anxious to hear that story as we sail on the American Countess in 2022.

We took one Viking River cruise from Budapest to Amsterdam years ago and made the mistake of comparing it to our 40+ ocean cruises which was a big mistake. Ocean cruises hire very experienced servers from foreign countries. The river cruise had mostly inexperienced people in comparison. Meal selections were underwhelming and luch buffet left much to be desired.  As a result we went back to ocean cruises.

I'm curious to hear your thoughts....was it American Queen, Covid, or inexperienced people from the USA that made the dinner service terrible? 

These USA river cruises are so very, very expensive.  Do you think we should go not expecting much except to just enjoy the river and figure the price is just what the price is?  We can still cancel and just loose $500 and our insurance premium so anxious to hear your thoughts.  Thanks

I don't think your experience in Viking River is typical for European river cruises.  We have taken two European cruises on AMA and the waiters were indeed "very experienced servers from foreign countries" just as you expected.  However, reports from US river cruises over the years regularly show college kids hired to satisy the PSVA requirements.  Employees from foreign countries are not allowed on US river vessels.

I don't believe it would be practical to do anything other than include alcohol at this point.  Many of us have booked future cruise under an offer stating that it was included.  

Mackdogmolly, it sounds to me like you are quoting from an American Cruise Line brochure rather than an American Queen Voyages brochure.  I can't imagine they have 2 different policies for the same cruises.  On the Empress last month, anyone who walked up to the bar was served.  No need to show anything.

Speaking of the Empress, there's obviously a difference in the service between vessels.  Even though the boat was understaffed, dining room service was excellent.  Everyone pitched in and the time from being seated to finishing dessert was never much longer than an hour.  

• Like 2

11 hours ago, ericosmith said:

Speaking of the Empress, there's obviously a difference in the service between vessels.  Even though the boat was understaffed, dining room service was excellent.  Everyone pitched in and the time from being seated to finishing dessert was never much longer than an hour.  

Agreed. That was my experience on the Duchess last August. All crew member contacts were positive and our cabin attendant and our waiter in the dining room were excellent and really on top of things. Their age or experience made no difference.

On 10/24/2021 at 5:59 PM, Mackdogmolly said:

My 2022 brochure says complimentary wine and beer at lunch and dinner and “nightly complimentary cocktail hours.” As well as complimentary non-alcoholic beverages 24 hours a day. I wish they would make up their mind!

I have just watched a video from their director of product services aimed at travel agents and it is correct, they are including drinks throughout the cruise - apart from the top shelf ones, but the list I saw, all the brands were fine by me - to give you context, they are brands from Azamara's Premium (paid for) package and some are even brands in the Ultimate Package.  Darn it I should have taken OBC when they were sorting out our move oh well.....

• Like 1