Solo with scooter- Rent or buy?

maureencruiser

Hello, I'm newly disabled and cruising solo in November on a B2B on Harmony of the Seas.  I do not have an accessible cabin on either leg of the cruise.  I cruised in September with my walker and cane and was miserable from the pain the whole time.  I want to use a scooter for Harmony, but, am concerned how I am going to get the scooter in and out of my cabin by myself.  I can rent one from Special Needs at Sea for $250, it weighs 174 pounds. I can buy a travel scooter from Amazon  for $730, it weighs 92 pounds.  I'm trying to picture myself holding the door open with one hand while pulling the scooter in with the other hand.  I'm assuming worst case scenario, bed is by the door, I've read here about people lifting the scooter over the bed.  Yikes!  I've also read here that even if I go back to my cabin just to brush my teeth, I have to bring scooter inside.  

The advantage I see in buying one is that I can adjust it to my height and practice using it before the cruise.  I'm imagining renting one, walking into my cabin and it's just sitting there.  Are there instructions for how to use it?  How to adjust the height, etc.  I am not a mechanical person at all.  I'm picturing myself having to stay in the cabin for two weeks, in tears because I don't know how to use the scooter or can't get it in and out of the cabin.  Any advice other than cancel both cruises?  Thanks!   

Not to be nosy, but your size may influence what you want and need.

I have had a Scout scooter for range (with the bigger battery for increased range).

I weigh 180 pounds, and haven’t had battery issues. If I were significantly larger, it would be different. The scooter would be uncomfortable and I’d run out of electricity

Keeping the door open is easy! Crosize Door Stoppers for Floor Rubber Door Stop Wedge, Door Gaps and Prevent The Lock-Outs,Floor Sturdy Stackable Door Stop for Carpet Heavy Duty Door (Gray) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0995XV96H/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_ESCV545ACBNDD3E05RJD?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

There are also stops with a handle if bending is an issue.

• Like 2

As for the Scout, it’s pretty self-explanatory and there are instructions. The hardest part is getting the seat post properly positioned to remove it from the base.

As I remember, you need to attach the seat base to the frame of the scooter before using it the first time and adjust what you want as the height. You may have to put the batteries into the case and tighten 4 screws.

We almost never separated the base into its two pieces because it was a pain to snap it back together. we did take the battery case off before lifting.  The battery case js intended to be easily removed- it’s held in place with a thumb screw.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, maureencruiser said:

Hello, I'm newly disabled and cruising solo in November on a B2B on Harmony of the Seas.  I do not have an accessible cabin on either leg of the cruise.  I cruised in September with my walker and cane and was miserable from the pain the whole time.  I want to use a scooter for Harmony, but, am concerned how I am going to get the scooter in and out of my cabin by myself.  I can rent one from Special Needs at Sea for $250, it weighs 174 pounds. I can buy a travel scooter from Amazon  for $730, it weighs 92 pounds.  I'm trying to picture myself holding the door open with one hand while pulling the scooter in with the other hand.  I'm assuming worst case scenario, bed is by the door, I've read here about people lifting the scooter over the bed.  Yikes!  I've also read here that even if I go back to my cabin just to brush my teeth, I have to bring scooter inside.  

The advantage I see in buying one is that I can adjust it to my height and practice using it before the cruise.  I'm imagining renting one, walking into my cabin and it's just sitting there.  Are there instructions for how to use it?  How to adjust the height, etc.  I am not a mechanical person at all.  I'm picturing myself having to stay in the cabin for two weeks, in tears because I don't know how to use the scooter or can't get it in and out of the cabin.  Any advice other than cancel both cruises?  Thanks!   

I met a lady on a cruise that had this scooter.  She, and her husband, that had to manage it for her, raved about it.  It looked great to me.  It is pricier than the one on Amazon, but lighter and folds up very compactly.

https://www.luggie-scooters.com/luggie-standard-scooter/

• Like 2

Hi Maureencruiser  My husband & I will be on the same cruise. I have a walker & canes I'm also concerned if my walker will be enough, I can sit on it and get around. Don't cancel. We are in a 6N. I have cruised before as a solo, would like to meet. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, FOPMan said:

Not to be nosy, but your size may influence what you want and need.

Not nosy at all.  Sadly, I am over 225 pounds and gaining since I can't walk like I used to and I'm no longer on my feet all day in the pharmacy.  I'd be renting the heavy duty scooter, if I rented.  The Amazon one goes up to 275 pounds.  

It seems like the consensus is I should buy rather than rent, then?  Learn how to use the scooter in private rather than in public?  I looked at the scooter in the grocery store today and I couldn't make heads or tails out of it.  

Go to a hospital supply store/pharmacy.  They often sell/rent scooters.  If you know what model the companies use, they probably have it or one very similar.  You can try it out there, they will show you how to use it.  EM

• Like 2

On 10/20/2021 at 8:32 AM, maureencruiser said:

I'm trying to picture myself holding the door open with one hand while pulling the scooter in with the other hand.   

You can bring a door stop and I believe you can even ask your room steward for one.

I've also read here that even if I go back to my cabin just to brush my teeth, I have to bring scooter inside.  

Royal Caribbean states:  Assistive devices including mobility scooters must be stored and recharged in your stateroom so fire doors, corridors and elevator lobbies are kept clear for emergency evacuation. When parked throughout the ship, they must be parked out of the way to allow safe and easy access by other guests and crewmembers.

The advantage I see in buying one is that I can adjust it to my height and practice using it before the cruise. 

This would definitely be an advantage having your own in that you would be familiar with it and it sounds like what you are considering would not require an accessible room. 

The scooters that are rented by Scootaround and Special Needs at Sea (the two rental companies Royal will allow on their ships) are not compact scooters.   They are fairly easy to operate and instructions are with the scooter (look in the scooter pocket).   However, you will want to do some test scooter driving ahead of time at your local mobility store or even practice with the handicap grocery cart scooters (they are a little different but very similar).  There are numerous tips on this board that scooter users have shared (like getting on an empty elevator no matter which direction it is going, being careful of people's toes etc).  One such thread is here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2778276-renting-a-scooter/?tab=comments#comment-61027182     You might check with Royal to see if there are any accessible staterooms available because you will need one if you rent a scooter.  Many of the accessible staterooms have automatic doors.  

Also, check with the rental company and ask them what kind (brand) of scooter you will be getting.  (They are usually the Pride brand.)   You could then look at operational videos for the scooter on YouTube or on the manufacturer's website.   

On 10/20/2021 at 8:32 AM, maureencruiser said:

I'm imagining renting one, walking into my cabin and it's just sitting there.  Are there instructions for how to use it?  How to adjust the height, etc.  I am not a mechanical person at all.  

Yes, it will be waiting for you in your room, all shined up and with instructions.  We have rented many scooters for cruises and have not once adjusted anything on the scooter - just turned it on and took off.  

You will want to advise Royal's Access Dept that you will have a scooter.  They'll also have you complete a form to submit to them.   Here is their link:

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/experience/accessible-cruising/mobility-disabilities

I think you'll find that scooters are fairly easy to operate. 

Don't cancel your cruise.   You'll be so glad you didn't.   

• Like 1

We rented a scooter from Scootaround and sailed on the Allure a few weeks ago.  It was just terrific and so easy.  We picked up the scooter at the entrance to the check in area.  There were two ladies there who showed us how to use it, charge it etc.  We had a card to call if any problems but guest services has extra chargers if something goes wrong. Nothing went wrong.  When we disembarked we went to the same area to return the scooter.  That is a good thing because we had the scooter to embark and disembark. We has a large cabin at that time and it was easy to get in and out.  The Harmony entrance door to your cabin opens out so you have more room to put your scooter and hopefully your cabin's bed it by the balcony.  Our next cruise is a balcony and I called the accessibility line for Royal and asked if the bed was by the balcony.  They had to check with the ship and it was, so I think we should be good.  The scooter was $250 all in, including insurance.  We don't want to buy one because it's too hard to transport and we really only need it on the ship.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, torpeedo said:

We rented a scooter from Scootaround and sailed on the Allure a few weeks ago.  It was just terrific and so easy.  We picked up the scooter at the entrance to the check in area...  When we disembarked we went to the same area to return the scooter.  That is a good thing because we had the scooter to embark and disembark. 

We've had the good fortune twice to have the scooter waiting for us at the check-in area.   It depends on what ship and where you board your ship.    We were hoping this was going to be the new norm, picking up and dropping off the scooter outside of the ship, but it's usually in our stateroom.    We liked the idea of being able to have the scooter to embark and disembark, too.  

Where you rent from can probably tell you whether your scooter will be at the check-in area or in your stateroom.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, torpeedo said:

We rented a scooter from Scootaround and sailed on the Allure a few weeks ago.  It was just terrific and so easy.  We picked up the scooter at the entrance to the check in area.  There were two ladies there who showed us how to use it, charge it etc.   

2 hours ago, kokopelli-az said:

We've had the good fortune twice to have the scooter waiting for us at the check-in area.   

Interesting, because Special Needs at Sea says they leave it in your cabin and they don't have the lighterweight scooters, only the 200 pound scooters.  I filled out the form today for Scootaround for a price quote, waiting to hear back, their website says you get it at check in and they have the smaller scooters, less than a hundred pounds, even for a heavier person like myself.  

16 minutes ago, maureencruiser said:

Interesting, because Special Needs at Sea says they leave it in your cabin and they don't have the lighterweight scooters, only the 200 pound scooters.  I filled out the form today for Scootaround for a price quote, waiting to hear back, their website says you get it at check in and they have the smaller scooters, less than a hundred pounds, even for a heavier person like myself.  

I'm looking at the Special Needs at Sea scooter rental site and their lightest scooter ("Standard Scooter") weighs 110 lbs (for people weighing up to 249 lb).  

The Scootaround site says their lightest scooter ("Transportable scooter") weighs 96 lbs for people up to 325 lbs.

We've booked through both places and have always rented the "Standard" or "Transportable" scooters, depending on which company we use.   We have always received the same exact scooter (Pride GoGo) from both places (with the exception of once in Hawaii when they gave us a 4-wheel heavy duty one instead of what we ordered).  For some reason I think the two companies are describing the same piece of equipment differently.  

Anyway, depending on which cruise ship you are on and in what port depends on whether you pick up the scooter in your room or at check-in.  We found this out from one of the rental companies.  

Also, if you book on Scootaround, they always add "extras" like insurance and a refundable fee if you cancel.   If you do not want these extras, you have to delete them (or have Scootaround delete them if you order on the phone).  

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, kokopelli-az said:

. Also, if you book on Scootaround, they always add "extras" like insurance and a refundable fee if you cancel.   If you do not want these extras, you have to delete them (or have Scootaround delete them if you order on the phone).  

I was curious about insurance.  Neither company mentions it on their website.  You don't recommend having it?  

1 hour ago, maureencruiser said:

I was curious about insurance.  Neither company mentions it on their website.  You don't recommend having it?  

We've never had it.    There's always a possibility of something happening to the scooter but it's never happened to us.    We just feel the odds of something happening are slim.   

Look on your local Craigslist.org or facebook marketplace I was able to get my husband a nice travel scooter for 50 more than the rental for our b2b in November.  You won’t regret having one of your own it will allow you so much more freedom even after back home from cruise 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, maureencruiser said:

Our rental paper work from Scootaround also said it would be in the cabin.  The day of departure I received a text from a rep from Scootaround saying he would meet us outside the port entrance for check in.  I questioned him about it and he said it was Covid issues.  Actually we felt this was better since he could use the scooter to board which is a tough hike.  Also disembark as well.  We got the Transportable 3 wheel scooter with a 21" wheel base.  For some reason I think I heard that this Special Needs at Sea is the ship and you get the scooter from the ship in your cabin.  Our neighbors on the last cruise had the Special Needs at Sea and I didn't think it looked as substantial.  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, maureencruiser said:

We took all the insurance.  I've read of people cancelling their cruises and no refund.  Plus who knows if someone will steal it or if we would damage it accidentally.  Maybe we're too careful but it's worry free.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, torpeedo said:

We took all the insurance.  I've read of people cancelling their cruises and no refund.

We always reserve the scooter as close to our sail date as the rental company says we can.   I think for Special Needs at Sea it's 7 days before your cruise.   The other reason is that they charge a cancelation fee if you cancel (within the United States) less than 8 days before your sail date.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, kokopelli-az said:

We always reserve the scooter as close to our sail date as the rental company says we can.   I think for Special Needs at Sea it's 7 days before your cruise.   The other reason is that they charge a cancelation fee if you cancel (within the United States) less than 8 days before your sail date.  

I better check Scootaround.  We're booked on the Harmony 11/14 after the TA.  I was waiting to reserve until I know the ship is actually on route on the TA 10/31.  These days you never know!  

• Like 1

Another small hint if you rent.    Put something on your scooter to identify it (we use a fluffy snap on tag from our luggage).    Many people will be renting the same scooter from the same company.   If you come out of the dining room there could be several identical scooters parked there.   

Once our waiter brought our scooter to our table and we didn't realize it wasn't ours until we got to the room.   The other scooter even had the daily newsletter in the basket, just like ours did.    

• Like 3

On 10/27/2021 at 8:42 AM, live2cruise2011 said:

Look on your local Craigslist.org or facebook marketplace I was able to get my husband a nice travel scooter for 50 more than the rental for our b2b in November.  You won’t regret having one of your own it will allow you so much more freedom even after back home from cruise 

Yeah, I tried that, no luck.  Does anybody want to give me a hint about what the insurance costs?

18 hours ago, kokopelli-az said:

Another small hint if you rent.    Put something on your scooter to identify it (we use a fluffy snap on tag from our luggage).      

I'm gonna put a luggage tag on it like I did with my walker on MSC.  

1 hour ago, maureencruiser said:

Does anybody want to give me a hint about what the insurance costs?

If you go to the rental website(s) you can do a dummy booking and it will bring up the insurance cost for your particular cruise.   See below for a dummy booking on Scootaround.com for a transportable scooter for a 7 day cruise r/t Ft Lauderdale on Celebrity for Nov 13-20.   "Basic" insurance for this quote is $40.  

scoot 1.jpg

• Thanks 1

United Spinal Members has a 15% discount code on rentals from Scootaround.   When you get to the payment page, there's a place for the promotion code.   The code is USCRUISE.    

If you create an account on scootaround.com you can accumulate points for each rental and then apply them as a credit on a future rental.

• Thanks 1

On 10/27/2021 at 5:42 AM, live2cruise2011 said:

Great suggestion I just bought a Pride GoGo 4 wheel it can carry 300lb and paid $350.  It will fit thru all the doors on a ship a 3 wheel is easier to manuver as it can turn on a dime.  be sure to go to stores and get used to driving one.  Also make sure you have good batteries if you are buying used. I also watched on Craigs list.  good luck

• Like 1

On 10/27/2021 at 4:44 PM, kokopelli-az said:

And, of course, with Covid, you might find out 2 days before the cruise that you're positive and  can't go.