Toronto airport delays on return to Canada

archer_310

11 hours ago, MamatoJack said:

Even heading to the US from Toronto is a wait, we left Monday, Ottawa to Toronto to Orlando and our flight from TO was delayed a good 90+ minutes. We were told because of US customs. I would believe that, the lines were nuts but we have Nexus so easy and short for us. I have direct flights booked for March break, I hope they happen! We fly home Sunday but will be landing in Montreal, hoping for a better time. And no delay. 

Please let us know what the situation is like coming back via YUL. I'm considering changing our return flight in March but won't bother if it's just as bad there.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Barwick Cruiser said:

I thought there was preclearance for US customs in Ottawa…why did you have to go through it in Toronto? 

There is a paucity of direct flights from Ottawa to Orlando, resulting in the need to fly via Toronto (or Montreal). As one must change planes in Toronto, pre-clearance is handled there.  

4 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

There is a paucity of direct flights from Ottawa to Orlando, resulting in the need to fly via Toronto (or Montreal). As one must change planes in Toronto, pre-clearance is handled there.  

Gotcha…I was thinking it was connecting in Toronto and you just picked up more passengers there, totally understand if you’re switching planes. 

Just read that X is extending the Covid coverage to the end of April! Might have to book a winter getaway now!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Barwick Cruiser said:

I thought there was preclearance for US customs in Ottawa…why did you have to go through it in Toronto? 

Deleted; already answered by others.

Edited by gnome12

12 hours ago, Barwick Cruiser said:

We weren't able to fly directly to the US. That Ottawa to Toronto leg was domestic. Then you have to redo security and customs in Toronto. 

I was going to go through Montreal on the way down but wouldn't have arrived until very late. We were supposed to be in Orlando by 1 but it was almost 3. Still got to go to Epcot for the evening, but less time to swim. Glad I wasn't trying to catch a cruise. And why I fly the day before we cruise. 

I think direct flights Ottawa to Orlando start in late December. 

Edited by MamatoJack
  • Like 1

On 10/27/2021 at 10:34 AM, Oceangoer2 said:

Great!  asking someone with experience flying in and out of Rome.  I checked Air Canada's info site and it indicated any passenger arriving in Rome would have a covid test (nasal swab?) done by them upon arrival, and submit proof of covid vaccination.  True?  and when flying out of Rome, I'm assuming the airline checks your proof of covid vaccination and PCR test done on the ship before boarding?

We were not tested at the airport in Rome but we did have to produce an antigen test result and proof of vaccinations - we got a test done before we left Toronto. Coming back, we had to produce copy of proof of vaccine, PCR test result and our arrivecan receipt. No one was allowed past checkin if you didn't produce all of this. 

• Thanks 1

We flew back from Vegas on Sept 21, direct flight via WestJet, landed at 8:00pm on a Tuesday at Pearson.  Total time from getting off the plane to sitting in our car which was parked at the terminal was just over 20 minutes.  Having spent many years traveling for business this was about the quickest I ever had returning from an international flight.  We had all proper documentation etc, but I said 2 words through the entire process "Las Vegas".  Only had to speak to one person.  Now we happened to be right in between 2 larger international flights arriving so I know that helped.

On our flight to Vegas we arrived early as we always do (flight departed just after 10am), when we entered the customs hall we were the only 2 people in there!  It was actually eerie.   

Needless to say we experienced no delays.  One of the people that reports to me at work traveled to Albania via Frankfurt earlier in Sept and arrived back into Pearson around 8pm on a Friday night.  It took them about an hour to get out.  So of course it can be all over the place.

Reading about the delays at Pearson reminded me about almost missing a flight to Oregon in 2018 because of US custom delays. The lineups to preclear to enter the states, and the delays to clear Canada customs when returning on international flights are so annoying especially if one nèeds to take additional transit home. 

We have decided to fly from Syracuse for our winter trip to Myrtle Beach so we don't have to experience this added stress. We would need to spend for transit to Pearson anyway, so might as well take Kingston Shuttle. Depending on how this goes, we may do the same thing for our TA from FLL in April. A much smaller airport and less people trying to clear US  customs at Gananoque.

12 hours ago, gubby said:

Reading about the delays at Pearson reminded me about almost missing a flight to Oregon in 2018 because of US custom delays. The lineups to preclear to enter the states, and the delays to clear Canada customs when returning on international flights are so annoying especially if one nèeds to take additional transit home. 

We have decided to fly from Syracuse for our winter trip to Myrtle Beach so we don't have to experience this added stress. We would need to spend for transit to Pearson anyway, so might as well take Kingston Shuttle. Depending on how this goes, we may do the same thing for our TA from FLL in April. A much smaller airport and less people trying to clear US  customs at Gananoque.

May I ask what 'Kingston Shuttle'? 🙂

Just heard yesterday about a company  - Kingston Shuttle- that does reserved runs from Kingston to airports in Watertown and Syracuse. Price for 2 from Kingston to Watertown was $ 169. Megabus to YYZ for 2 is

$ 100. You choose time for shuttle, it is private. Google Kingston Shuttle, phone number is 1-800-731-6335. Guy yesterday indicated likely price hike due to gas prices. My task for today is to check ratings for company, but it sounds good to me.

16 hours ago, gubby said:

Frankly,  I would prefer flying into the US from Canada, knowing that everyone on board has been vaccinated and have provided a negative Covid antigen test. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, gmbhardy said:

Frankly,  I would prefer flying into the US from Canada, knowing that everyone on board has been vaccinated and have provided a negative Covid antigen test. 

The Kingston Shuttle provides a private service for you and your travelling group, and you must all be vaccinated to enter the US, so I'd say that was pretty safe. Besides, if you are headed for a cruise, you would probably have had your negative tests anyway, unless planning a few days' stay in the US pre-cruise.

6 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

The Kingston Shuttle provides a private service for you and your travelling group, and you must all be vaccinated to enter the US, so I'd say that was pretty safe. Besides, if you are headed for a cruise, you would probably have had your negative tests anyway, unless planning a few days' stay in the US pre-cruise.

But you are getting on a flight with no vaccination or testing protocols.

14 minutes ago, gmbhardy said:

Ah, I see, it's the US domestic flight that's the issue. I was only thinking of the cross-border leg, but you are 100% right, the flight would definitely be less safe than a Canadian flight. Thanks for your patience, I'm in slow learner mode today apparently.

Landed in Montreal with no issues, cleared Customs quickly and now waiting for the flight to Ottawa. It was very different than going to Florida through Toronto. We could have easily made the 90 minute connection but that flight was sold out so here we sit for just over 3 hours instead. I look forward to direct from Ottawa, but may just stick to connecting in Montreal (or the US). 

Last time we flew through here we had to go outside to get on the small plane to Ottawa but looks like they renovated. Which is nice since it is raining. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Ah, I see, it's the US domestic flight that's the issue. I was only thinking of the cross-border leg, but you are 100% right, the flight would definitely be less safe than a Canadian flight. Thanks for your patience, I'm in slow learner mode today apparently.

Case in point. We have a cruise coming up on NCL next month. The package includes free air but the flights they book are often terrible with late departures and connections. We have a direct fligh from Toronto to Fort Lauderdale on Air Transat on the way down but have a connection in Philadelphia on AA on our return flight. Didn’t like that very much so I booked, at my own expense, a direct flight back on Air Canada knowing that everyone on board is vaccinated and has had a negative PCR test. Not paranoid, just being cautious.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, gmbhardy said:

Case in point. We have a cruise coming up on NCL next month. The package includes free air but the flights they book are often terrible with late departures and connections. We have a direct fligh from Toronto to Fort Lauderdale on Air Transat on the way down but have a connection in Philadelphia on AA on our return flight. Didn’t like that very much so I booked, at my own expense, a direct flight back on Air Canada knowing that everyone on board is vaccinated and has had a negative PCR test. Not paranoid, just being cautious.

I think that everyone of the Philadelphia-Toronto leg would have to be vaccinated and have a negative PCR test due to Canadian entry rules applied to all airlines, but you are right, no telling what you would face of the first leg out of Florida. And I agree totally, your are being cautious, not paranoid. 

56 minutes ago, gmbhardy said:

I do appreciate the concerns, but every week we hear about AC flights landing in Toronto with Covid cases, and passengers required negative tests to board. I will continue to monitor with new rules in place. And we will be spending the winter in SC (continuing to take precaution with masks and distancing) and a booster which we are eligible for  this month. My bigger concern is the unruly passengers on US flights

In addition to previous post, the flight is mid-April and the second one we are considering is not til August. Hope we are all in a better position re: Covid by then. There is absolutely nothing wrong with being cautious. It has served us well during these trying times.

• Like 1

On 10/31/2021 at 12:58 PM, MamatoJack said:

Landed in Montreal with no issues, cleared Customs quickly and now waiting for the flight to Ottawa. It was very different than going to Florida through Toronto. We could have easily made the 90 minute connection but that flight was sold out so here we sit for just over 3 hours instead. I look forward to direct from Ottawa, but may just stick to connecting in Montreal (or the US). 

Last time we flew through here we had to go outside to get on the small plane to Ottawa but looks like they renovated. Which is nice since it is raining. 

Glad to hear things went well in Montreal - planning our flights soon to FLL and definitely hope to do thru Montreal rather than Pearson for obvious reasons..looking at a 2 hr connection to catch the flight to the US so hope that will work (and I know there is a later flight that day to FLL just in case....).

Coming home I also remember having to exit the terminal in the freezing cold (with no winter gear on) to get onto the plan and thrilled to hear that has changed! 🙂

• Like 1

Landed in Toronto last night on a direct flight from Miami. Not only did we arrive 40 minutes early, we breezed through customs and had our bags within 15 minutes, if that (granted, we also have Nexus). We must have been the only plane arriving at that time because the customs hall was a ghost town. 

Just thought I'd update everyone as to my experience after being worried about arriving back in Toronto.  Arrived Sunday evening and breezed thru customs in the regular line.  This after our Westjet flight was delayed by 3 hours.  The worst experience was actually getting out of Toronto as customs was delayed and ended up delaying our flight by an hour.  From the time we arrived at Pearson to getting on the flight it was a constant "hurry up and wait".  And we arrived 3 hours before the flight time to boot.