Queen Elizabeth Cancellations February 20th to May 17th

safarigal

Just got this email from Cunard:

Not surprising, but very disappointing for all of the clients we have booked on these sailing 😞

Unfortunately, based on the most recent advice we have received, and given the complexities of many of the international destinations involved, we are not able to run Queen Elizabeth's scheduled program and are therefore cancelling all of her departures from February 20 to May 17, 2022.

1 minute ago, naturelovergirl said:

It is quite sad, indeed, for anyone who has been hoping for their plans to happen.

I wonder about how these cancelations (and whatever they plan in the interim) will or will not affect Queen Elizabeth's Alaska 2022 season... and then the voyages after Alaska.

Absolutely. And as she is meant to be in Tokyo on May 17th how would she get there, or are they going to sail her from Southampton to Vancouver instead?

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, safarigal said:

Just got this email from Cunard:

Not surprising, but very disappointing for all of the clients we have booked on these sailing 😞

Unfortunately, based on the most recent advice we have received, and given the complexities of many of the international destinations involved, we are not able to run Queen Elizabeth's scheduled program and are therefore cancelling all of her departures from February 20 to May 17, 2022.

Thanks for posting this unfortunate announcement. This means QE's repositioning cruise to Japan and her entire Japan season are canceled, assuming "to May 17" means "through May 17".

Echoing the previous replies, QE's 2022 Alaska season is not canceled but that does beg the question how QE would reposition to Alaska. It will be interesting to see what becomes of that in terms of a replacement repositioning itinerary to Vancouver assuming Cunard is still intending to preserve the Alaska season at this point.

Edited by bluemarble
  • Like 1

Another disappointing piece of news. Firstly I am sorry for those booked on the affected sailings. Then, as others have said, wonder about sailings after May 17. I’m booked for Vancouver to Alaska and onward to Barcelona in July. Will be interesting what they may offer on potential new offerings enroute to the hopefully still planned Alaska season.

Cunard's first Alaska cruise of the rather short season is June 4th. It is possible for the QE to get to Vancouver earlier so the Alaska season could be longer. Holland America, for example, has their first cruise on April 27th. 

Of course it depends on what Cunard intends to do with the QE from February.

1 hour ago, morrfran said:

Another disappointing piece of news. Firstly I am sorry for those booked on the affected sailings. Then, as others have said, wonder about sailings after May 17. I’m booked for Vancouver to Alaska and onward to Barcelona in July. Will be interesting what they may offer on potential new offerings enroute to the hopefully still planned Alaska season.

I just hope that they cancel quickly - we're due on her in SF in July - hoping that its cancelled before we are past the non-refundable period in January.  I'd also would want to be booking  flights about then - the flights will be of no use to me  if the cruise doesn't happen 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, lissie said:

I just hope that they cancel quickly - we're due on her in SF in July - hoping that its cancelled before we are past the non-refundable period in January.  I'd also would want to be booking  flights about then - the flights will be of no use to me  if the cruise doesn't happen 

I hope for your sake Cunard gets their act together in time for your flight bookings but,  in these uncertain times, is this a time to use Cunard flights? If the cruise is cancelled then your flights will be too. 

We learnt many years ago the value of having long distance flights tied into our Cunard bookings. Yes it's more expensive but we look upon it as added insurance for the whole holiday.

just posted on UK Cunard website

We are making changes to Queen Elizabeth's itineraries.

We are delighted to be back sailing again after such an extended pause in operations. However, whilst the world continues to open up, there remains uncertainty regarding the path ahead.

We continue to work very closely with authorities in all the destinations we visit to ensure we comply with local health and entry requirements. Unfortunately, based on the most recent advice for cruise guests, and given the complexities of many of the international destinations involved, we are not able to run Queen Elizabeth’s scheduled programme and are therefore cancelling all of her departures from 20 February to 17 May 2022.

To replace these voyages in Asia, Queen Elizabeth will sail several new voyages from Southampton to the Canary Islands, the Western Mediterranean, and an opportunity to see the Northern Lights, as well as a Grand Voyage across the Atlantic Ocean, through the Panama Canal and on to Vancouver. She will then resume her Alaska season as scheduled. These new voyages will go on sale in November.  You can find the details for these changes on these pages, but rest assured we will be contacting all impacted guests regarding their options.

Queen Mary 2’s published schedule remains unaffected, and Queen Victoria is still scheduled to return to service in April 2022.

I just received my cancellation mail, too.

Certainly understandable and acceptable, but I was really looking for a Cunard cruise after all this time.

Let's hope they offer some nice warm weather alternative on Feb 20, when I have now my vacations taken at work ...

As anticipated, Cunard have pulled the plug on the planned sailings as part of the move from Europe to Asia. Shame, since am/was booked on the Dubai to Singapore leg  and then again on the Transpacific Tokyo to Vancouver leg in May. Replacement itineraries to be announced in the future.

• Like 1

And no surprise, everything else is already booked up, including the 2023 replacement for our Japan cruise.  

Because of covid, we bought trip insurance for the first time for this trip (or actually, the previous iteration of our multiply booked and rebooked cruise).  Since Cunard will refund or hold our deposits, we don't have anything to claim.  I'll see if we can transfer the policy to another trip.

At this point I remind myself that we are extremely lucky that this is the worst covid has done to us.  

15 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

I hope for your sake Cunard gets their act together in time for your flight bookings but,  in these uncertain times, is this a time to use Cunard flights? If the cruise is cancelled then your flights will be too. 

We learnt many years ago the value of having long distance flights tied into our Cunard bookings. Yes it's more expensive but we look upon it as added insurance for the whole holiday.

No Cunard air doesn't operate in Australia or New Zealand (never has - this is not a Covid thing). Probably  never will - there is no way I'd just fly to and from a cruise which is taking me to Europe!  

However the fact that the replacement cruises suggest they may still have an Alaska season gives me some hope that our cruise may happen still. Of course it will be entirely irrelevant unless NZ allows  tourists back into the country soon (without them there are next to no flights) 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, lissie said:

No Cunard air doesn't operate in Australia or New Zealand (never has - this is not a Covid thing). Probably  never will - there is no way I'd just fly to and from a cruise which is taking me to Europe!  

However the fact that the replacement cruises suggest they may still have an Alaska season gives me some hope that our cruise may happen still. Of course it will be entirely irrelevant unless NZ allows  tourists back into the country soon (without them there are next to no flights) 

We don't use Cunard Air as I don't think that operates over in the UK either.

We choose our airline and scheduling and then our agent ties the chosen flights into our cruise booking with Cunard  making it a sort of package. If one  element fails, it's  a pain but it's down to Cunard to sort it out which probably means our wonderful agent. Either way, monetary wise, not our problem.

I have my fingers crossed for you and everyone else, the '22 cruises to Alaska go ahead. We've been a few  times and it's a magical area in which to cruise. 🙂

14 hours ago, lissie said:

However the fact that the replacement cruises suggest they may still have an Alaska season gives me some hope that our cruise may happen still.

We felt the same as our booked QE voyage is also after their Alaska season… as she heads back to Europe from North America.

We shall see.

• Like 1

I really think this is the end of Cunard offering world sailings in Asia.

We were also booked on the Southampton to Singapore leg. From what I can see, the UK to Dubai leg was certainly achievable as Mein Schiff 6 debarked some 2,000 passengers there late September. There are thousands more passengers disembarking in Dubai over the coming weeks.

Cunard have cancelled 4 seasons cancelled in Asia if you include repositioning. There is no likelihood of a cruise at any stage in 2022 by Cunard, from what I can see.

Don't sell it if you know you can't do it.

15 hours ago, ollyoeno said:

I really think this is the end of Cunard offering world sailings in Asia.

We were also booked on the Southampton to Singapore leg. From what I can see, the UK to Dubai leg was certainly achievable as Mein Schiff 6 debarked some 2,000 passengers there late September. There are thousands more passengers disembarking in Dubai over the coming weeks.

Cunard have cancelled 4 seasons cancelled in Asia if you include repositioning. There is no likelihood of a cruise at any stage in 2022 by Cunard, from what I can see.

Don't sell it if you know you can't do it.

YOu're missing the point  that cruise  was a repositioning cruise for the Japan season. There is no signs that Japan is opening to tourists anytime soon - so obviously you cancel the repositioning cruise. 

I think our Europe to Singapore cruise in Oct 22 will happen - because that is a repositioning cruise for the Australian season and I think there is a good chance that that will happen summer 22/23 

I'm assuming that the problem is not Japan as they are busy advertising on the TV that they are open for business.  If so, I wonder why they couldn't do the Japan itineraries?  Hopefully, as has been said, this won't affect the Alaska sailings. We are on the Vancouver-Alaska-Barcelona cruise and are more than ready for a cruise.

10 hours ago, lissie said:

YOu're missing the point  that cruise  was a repositioning cruise for the Japan season. 

I think our Europe to Singapore cruise in Oct 22 will happen - because that is a repositioning cruise for the Australian season and I think there is a good chance that that will happen summer 22/23 

Can you point me to a cruise for that season from Europe? There are none advertised.

3 hours ago, babs135 said:

I'm assuming that the problem is not Japan as they are busy advertising on the TV that they are open for business.  If so, I wonder why they couldn't do the Japan itineraries?  Hopefully, as has been said, this won't affect the Alaska sailings. We are on the Vancouver-Alaska-Barcelona cruise and are more than ready for a cruise.

I think costs and insurance are creeping up for that sector, possibly. Plus, Aussies love to cruise, and their government are hopeless, banning every cruise in sight. I notice NCL have based a ship in Asia for early 2022, which is sailing around Hong Kong, Vietnam, Malaysia, Thailand and into Singapore, so clearly international sailings aren't the issue, it's more to do with 'where to make more money'.

1 hour ago, ollyoeno said:

Can you point me to a cruise for that season from Europe? There are none advertised.

@lissie is referring to this voyage from Barcelona to Singapore, 10-30 October 2022.

Barcelona To Singapore, 20 Nights (Q230)

QE is currently scheduled to continue to Fremantle on 7 Nov 2022 to start her Australia/New Zealand season.

Edited by bluemarble