Trikes,Catamaran,Barhop

Ocean Cat

I’m interested in one of these three tours while I’m at port next week. I tried to contact Trikes but their website isn’t very good. Also when I try to submit a question it says  “please fix errors”. I don’t see any errors. Does anyone know if the Trikes excursion  is still in exsistence? 
With any of these three tours,I’d rather not make a reservation and just find them at the port as we disembark. Will these tours be available as a walk-up without reservations? If so, where would I likely find them at the port?

Edited by Ocean Cat

2 hours ago, SelectSys said:

You will be hard pressed not to find vendors selling tours outside the port.

Whilst I am sure some tours will be available at the port, especially  beach passes and the like I wouldn’t be so confident that something that leaves at a set time would be available. 

I agree with above poster, bar hop needs to be pre-booked. It leaves at a set time from a meeting place in town, dependent on the port times of ships on any given day. You may be able to email late on to check for availability but I wouldn’t expect any vendors at the port selling it.

Due to taxi union regulations tours are not allowed to pick up at the port without authorization so most tours like bar hop and probably trikes and catamaran will have off-site meeting places.

On 11/4/2021 at 2:41 PM, c-leg5 said:

Whilst I am sure some tours will be available at the port, especially  beach passes and the like I wouldn’t be so confident that something that leaves at a set time would be available. 

To be honest, I really have no idea what tours are available.  I know there are  simply lots of tour vendors at the ferry dock and in front of the exits from the port.  It seems to me they are all independent agents selling the same tours on commission. 

On 11/4/2021 at 2:41 PM, c-leg5 said:

Due to taxi union regulations tours are not allowed to pick up at the port without authorization so most tours like bar hop and probably trikes and catamaran will have off-site meeting places.

The sales agent would most likely help you arrange transport - most likely via cab.  I find the whole idea of a bar hop tour puzzling in Cozumel.  This is easy to accomplish independently of course the group camaraderie might add something to the mix that I am discounting. 

On 11/9/2021 at 8:57 PM, SelectSys said:

...I find the whole idea of a bar hop tour puzzling in Cozumel.  This is easy to accomplish independently of course the group camaraderie might add something to the mix that I am discounting. 

It costs less for a single traveler to use the bar hop than to hire a taxi or private tour including a taxi to downtown.

I think taxi or private tours cost more for two travelers as well; maybe close to breakeven.  If close to the same, the private route allows more flexibility so I could see doing that for two travelers or more.

Renting a vehicle is not an option unless there is a non-drinker who will be the driver.

• Like 1

On 11/14/2021 at 5:03 PM, day-day said:

It costs less for a single traveler to use the bar hop than to hire a taxi or private tour including a taxi to downtown.

Unless their are some really compelling reasons, my idea would be to simply wander around in town and hit up a couple of bars in town close to the ferry dock based on looking at online reviews. 

Another idea would be to start their a bit further north and hit various bars on the way back to the ship wandering down the "malecon."

I might take a cab across the island if I really wanted to see the Caribbean side.  But I wouldn't keep a driver/guide for the day.  It seems overkill to me but everyone is different.

On 11/14/2021 at 7:03 PM, day-day said:

I think taxi or private tours cost more for two travelers as well; maybe close to breakeven.  If close to the same, the private route allows more flexibility so I could see doing that for two travelers or more.

Renting a vehicle is not an option unless there is a non-drinker who will be the driver.

+1

1 hour ago, SelectSys said:

Unless their are some really compelling reasons, my idea would be to simply wander around in town and hit up a couple of bars in town close to the ferry dock based on looking at online reviews. 

Another idea would be to start their a bit further north and hit various bars on the way back to the ship wandering down the "malecon."

I might take a cab across the island if I really wanted to see the Caribbean side.  But I wouldn't keep a driver/guide for the day.  It seems overkill to me but everyone is different.

From your comments I am not sure how familiar you are with the island,  or if you are just generalizing based on what you assume?

I think your first misconception is that “the Bar Hop” is actually “bar hopping” with a focus on drinking and partying. It is actually a well-organized ride round the island, which calls at four bars on the east side, where there is an included “shot”;  you are right, camaraderie is a big factor in the attraction of this tour. I have always considered the drinks to be more akin to “shot-sized” sample drinks/cocktails and some hard core drinkers have even expressed disappointment, despite the drinks being clearly described on the website.

The east side of Cozumel has a totally different vibe to the large tourist oriented beach clubs south of the piers although it does have to be said that several of the east coast bars have become tourist attractions with their own fan base over the years. However there are no large waterpark activities, due to the totally different nature of the coastline and so no large family-type beach clubs. There is no mains electricity (only generators), poor cell phone reception and therefore the facilities are predominantly cash only. There are very few roaming taxis (unlike the west side) and so it would be highly advisable to secure a driver for several hours at least, especially if you are visiting the island from a cruise ship, and not overkill. Of course you could merely whip round the circular route in a couple of hours without stopping, if you would find that satisfying, or even an out-and-back along the transversal if you just wanted to “see” the other side - (at least take the time for a cold one at Mezcalitos!) but to really appreciate and enjoy the natural beauty of the east side it is better to take your time.

If you dock in town you could certainly just wander round and hit some of the bars, (however, many of them are very touristy and without a view and not what Bar Hop people are actually looking for) but there are some interesting ones further back in town).

If you dock at the southern piers you are 2-3 miles from El Centro but you are correct there are several worthwhile bars  north of International, (including some new ones) that do offer a view depending how far you are willing to walk.

North of town there are also some waterside bars of note. 

I agree there is no shortage of bars on Cozumel, and ones that cater to all tastes - (believe me we have sampled many,!) and if all you want to do is visit a few bars that’s  fine (we have done that on a cruise ship day too!) but it is a far different experience to a simple tour round the island either via the Bar Hop, or a via private driver. We have done both, and enjoyed both methods many times.

@day-day brought up some very pertinent points.

@Ocean Cathas presumably returned from their cruise by now and perhaps will return and let us know what they chose.

17 hours ago, c-leg5 said:

From your comments I am not sure how familiar you are with the island,  or if you are just generalizing based on what you assume?

I have been on the island  5 times as a day passenger - either via cruise (3 times) or crossing from Playa on the ferry (2 times.)  I am by no means an expert, but I have been on both sides of the island as well as making the island loop.

that “the Bar Hop” is actually “bar hopping” with a focus on drinking and partying.

Correct - that is my assumption of a traditional "bar hop."  A traditional "bar hop" seems about right for Cozumel since outside of diving, partying and beach going to me are the primary activities. 

The east side of Cozumel has a totally different vibe

Correct.  My recommendation is to simply hire a taxi for a round the island tour or for the more adventurous, rent a scooter and do it yourself.  I personally liked doing the scooter option as it made for more freedom/flexibility and it's almost impossible to get lost. 

If you dock at the southern piers you are 2-3 miles from El Centro

I have made this walk.  The only issue - assuming some level of basic fitness - is if the weather is warm/humid and that bothers you.

If you dock in town you could certainly just wander round and hit some of the bars, (however, many of them are very touristy

Unless you are going to a locals bar/restaurant, everything is pretty much everything in Cozumel is "touristy."