Has anyone mapped past cruises/ports?

Jess_Leigh

I've been on a few cruises and it took no time at all for me to fall in love with that way of travel. I love being able to unpack once and visit multiple places. That convenience together with the sounds, smells, and just overall peace that comes with being on the ocean is what makes cruising amazing to me! That being said, I would love to somehow document, visually, all the ports I've been to and maybe even see individualized cruises on a map. I'm somewhat of a nerd, so I'm okay with digital options that you may even be able to sort/view in different ways. As of right now, I'm sure I could go back and get details from past cruises, but if I am able to go on as many as I would like in the future, there will be too many details to confidently remember. Any suggestions or ideas are appreciated. 

3 hours ago, Jess_Leigh said:

As of right now, I'm sure I could go back and get details from past cruises, but if I am able to go on as many as I would like in the future, there will be too many details to confidently remember. Any suggestions or ideas are appreciated. 

I keep a daily journal during my cruises.  That way, if I look at some photos I have taken and wonder where was that or why did I take that picture, the journal will provide some information that helps to jog my memory.

• Like 1

I do journals only; I lost my interest in taking photos when I was about 12.

My journals bring back a lot of mental pictures, as I might mention how I felt about seeing something, or what the people we met were like, or....

So far I have been able to keep and store the daily planners, port maps, and other papers (not the art auction notices) from all our cruises, though I don't know how much longer I can do that.  Storage space is diminishing.

If I ever want to "see" a place we've sailed to, I can google it and get a good refresher.

I realize this isn't a very direct reply to your question!  I wish you luck and enjoyment with your project!

9 hours ago, Jess_Leigh said:

I've been on a few cruises and it took no time at all for me to fall in love with that way of travel. I love being able to unpack once and visit multiple places. That convenience together with the sounds, smells, and just overall peace that comes with being on the ocean is what makes cruising amazing to me! That being said, I would love to somehow document, visually, all the ports I've been to and maybe even see individualized cruises on a map. I'm somewhat of a nerd, so I'm okay with digital options that you may even be able to sort/view in different ways. As of right now, I'm sure I could go back and get details from past cruises, but if I am able to go on as many as I would like in the future, there will be too many details to confidently remember. Any suggestions or ideas are appreciated. 

I don't know if any cruise lines still make them, but in the past, they dis sell maps showing your route that you could buy and frame, I have one for the Royal Caribbean's Nordic Prince for 1988 and I have it nicely framed. It's hard to see but there's dots on the islands the ship stopped at on that cruise. It would be nice if cruise lines still made these maps for cruises and you could just dot the ports you stopped at during your voyage.

1988_royal_caribbean_souvenir_map_by_wildelf34_ddjjjqx-fullview.jpg

• Like 1

17 hours ago, norboy76 said:

I don't know if any cruise lines still make them, but in the past, they dis sell maps showing your route that you could buy and frame

On long cruises, sometimes there will be such a map that has been signed by the Captain and Hotel Director.  But, there is only one (as far as I know) and it is put up for auction towards the end of the cruise.  I don't recall seeing anything like that for short cruises.  

20 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

So far I have been able to keep and store the daily planners, port maps, and other papers (not the art auction notices) from all our cruises, though I don't know how much longer I can do that.  Storage space is diminishing.

I have been doing that for many cruises and I am having the same problem as you.  Where to store the material!  On my last 3 cruises, because of storage issues, I have been taking an increasing number of photos of menus and daily programs.  But, I find these not as satisfactory as having the hard copies of those materials.  

I do take many photos now that I have a digital camera.  So easy to delete those that I don't want to save.  Sometimes, the picture turns out to be a much better one than I expected.  I have two photos from when I was in Antarctica that were so good that my Nephew had them turned into two large framed pictures to be hung on my condo's walls.  

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/5/2021 at 10:02 AM, Jess_Leigh said:

I would love to somehow document, visually, all the ports I've been to and maybe even see individualized cruises on a map. I'm somewhat of a nerd, so I'm okay with digital options that you may even be able to sort/view in different ways. As of right now, I'm sure I could go back and get details from past cruises, but if I am able to go on as many as I would like in the future, there will be too many details to confidently remember. Any suggestions or ideas are appreciated. 

I really like using a free app called SHIPMATE.  It allows you to easily enter all of your cruises, both past and future.  Just click on one of your cruises and it automatically propagates the cruise itinerary including all of the dates, ship information, ports, arrival and departure times, member photos, MAPS, days until your cruise, or days since your cruise, Etc.  It took me less then an hour to set it up and enter 34 cruises.

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

I just had a flashback vision of a huge world map that my cousins had installed on a wall in their house.  It might even have been a wallpaper mural. They inserted pushpins everywhere they traveled.

That is a rather cool idea.  If it were my house, I would then use the other 3 walls to display items acquired during my trips and framed pictures.  

• 6 months later...
On 11/6/2021 at 7:44 PM, rkacruiser said:

On long cruises, sometimes there will be such a map that has been signed by the Captain and Hotel Director.  But, there is only one (as far as I know) and it is put up for auction towards the end of the cruise.  I don't recall seeing anything like that for short cruises.  

I don't know why I see this thread so late! 

I know that NCL sold maps with the itinerary and signed by the captain a few years ago. We have one from Epic and one from Breakaway.

• Thanks 1