The Daily for Saturday November 06, 2021

richwmn

Good morning all!  Another wet, wet day here.  

Wine tasting!  Definitely something many of us on the Daily enjoy! 

And bison....well those who know me know how much I love them.  We're long-time members of Yellowstone Forever and visit every 1-2 years.  Spring is my favorite time to go. It can be chilly, but that's when all the little "red dogs" (baby bison) are still small and so cute.  Bison are my favorite animal to see in Yellowstone, and we have a running joke in our family because I insist they're a *dignified* beast. 🙂  

Will pass on the meal, the wine sounds lovely. I usually love white blends.

So late today, already on page 3 (maybe 4 by the time I finish typing).  Another night of insomnia, I was awake from 1:45 until after 5 am.  I need to be on a rocking ship again 😉  

@smitty34877I'm so sorry to hear that Tana is in the hospital again.

@cat shepardprayers for your friend Cyn.

@Seasick Sailorprayers for your friend Walker.

959303132_Mamaandbabybison.jpg.2c1603b302f8e66af7fd9cab79440c3d.jpg

839698198_snowybison.thumb.jpg.91a09b9336367c9256fbb24eb14b3c84.jpg

839327479_bisonjam.jpg.09207d1127ee3a3aa2681b1a95c7ef31.jpg

• Like 24
  • Thanks 2

Prayers for Tana, Cyn, and Walker.   Terry, it is so wonderful that you step in for Tana's son.  You are making a huge difference in that young man's life.  I hope Cyn can recover enough to begin treatment again and lick this disease.  And Walker has chosen a courageous and dignified path.  May he feel peace and may his family rejoice in that peace.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Lady Hudson said:

Good news for us — 2 negative Covid tests this am.  I am glad for DH who has been basically home bound for almost 2 years. 

Yay 🙂. Excellent news 👍 

1 hour ago, lazey1 said:

I am joining you in prayers for all 3, I am also praying that Kakalena will be able to get her brain MRI soon to determine if her lung cancer has metastized to the brain.

I join you in the prayers for Kakalena & pray it has not metastasized to her brain 🙏🏻 

1 hour ago, Cruising-along said:

So late today, already on page 3 (maybe 4 by the time I finish typing).  Another night of insomnia, I was awake from 1:45 until after 5 am.  I need to be on a rocking ship again 😉  

So sorry to hear about your insomnia 😔. Definitely a rocking ship always helps 😉. Hope your insomnia disappears FAST 🤞 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, bennybear said:

I love seeing Buffalo!  I just wish people would respect them more,  they are wild!

Ditto!!  I huge pet peeve of mine.  I'm not shy about letting people know when they're doing something stupid either. (like selfies with the bison close behind them or walking too close). 😡

• Like 9

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Daily.

Great days. I'm for wine tasting today! I like bison (they are magnificent at Yellowstone) and saxophones.

Funny quote.

I'll pass on the meal; I like Roy's meal. I'll also pass on the drink and wine. Leftover pizza tonight.

I have never been to Egypt.

I'm feeling better today. Still congested upon awakening, but then ok. No headache and feeling like I had a sinus issue, like yesterday. I've had a busy morning working on the new computer and baking some muffins. My big folder of travel pictures is taking hours to upload to Dropbox; then I'll download it to the new PC. It's starting to warm up a bit - low 50's and sunny. Even warmer tomorrow, so I'll mow and mulch then.

@smitty34877 Sorry to hear about Tana's hospitalization. I pray she's doing better soon. Kudos to you for your efforts with her son.

@cat shepard Prayers for your friend Cyn in her fight.

@grapau27 Great looking lunch!

@Seasick Sailor Prayers for comfort for your friend Walker.

@Lady Hudson I'm glad to hear of the negative tests.

Prayers for the care list and a toast to the celebration list.

Everyone stay safe. We're having 400-500 cases a day here; I think people are too relaxed about staying safe.

In Yellowstone

UANZ5356.thumb.JPG.0a7dbae70b160dfbaa79d1984552cba7.JPG

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2

Good afternoon.  We are now checked in for all four cruises. The boarding pass for the first one is now on the Navigator app.   The health assessment will be available Thursday, and we'll get our Covid test Friday afternoon.  We also have a parking reservation for the four weeks.

Finally, my pictures of the bison uploaded.  These were taken on the Alaska Highway north of Muncho Lake in 2011.  @Cruising-along I also can't believe how stupid some people are when it comes to bison.  The maddest I've ever seen a park ranger was in Yellowstone years ago.  Traffic was backed up, with people getting out of their cars to see the bison.  The ranger finally "lost it" when people wouldn't move.  She didn't really say anything, but you could tell by the way she looked and kept motioning cars forward.  Unfortunately, you can't fix stupid.

P1030527.thumb.JPG.a9226aefeca98a93f657bbe340b23213.JPG

P1030528.thumb.JPG.b40088e3cf74631505e1305f705ad6b1.JPG

@durangoscots  Hope you prescription arrives soon.

@Seasick Sailor  Joy, sorry to learn about Walker.  Sometimes, no matter how hard, we have to trust people to know when it is time.  Sending good thoughts for a peaceful and as painfree passing as possible.

@lindaler  Great pictures.  When I first saw them before reading your post and really looking at them, I  thought the boat was a huge floating logjam.

@lazey1  Jane, I hope Kakalena gets the mri soon and that the cancer has not spread.

@Lady Hudson  Great news about the negative tests.

@JazzyV  Vanessa, glad you are feeing better.

Lenda

• Like 18

Checking in to catch up on the news, only to discover dear ones are in need.  Please add my prayers for Cyn, Walker and Kakalina.  In Walter's case, it seems people near the end know when it's time to wrap things up, rather than prolonging the agony.  Bless him as he enters his final journey. 

As for Kakalina, I've had Trisha on my prayer list since I heard she had a cancer diagnosis.  It is terrible that the medical facilities don't seem to regard her terminal cancer as a priority when it comes to MRI's, even though her doctor ordered it with extreme urgency.  One can only pray and hope for a good outcome.

Stay safe, everyone.

Smooth Sailing!

Gerry

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

On my way home from town today, I snapped this picture of some of our neighbor’s bison herd. 

625547344_Bison3.jpg.89157b67e6b102371cdcd87ca5dcb296.jpg

Several of our neighbors raise bison, although their herds are fairly small – normally being only a few hundred in size. One of the main reasons for this is that the animals come from the culling of the Elk Island National Park bison, which is close by, but limited in supply numbers. 

Here in Alberta, bison from both subspecies of American bison (the Plains bison and the Wood bison) are a fairly common sight. 

In 1907, the Canadian government bought one of the last and largest remaining pure-bred plains bison, the Pablo-Allard herd, from Montana. Close to 400 bison were shipped to Elk Island as a temporary waystation until fencing at the Buffalo National Park near Wainwright was completed. In 1909, the fence was completed, and 325 bison were relocated to Buffalo National Park. However, 40-70 bison evaded capture and became the ancestors of today’s plains bison herd in Elk Island National Park. 

The Buffalo National Park (which closed in 1940) was created with a focus to protect and regenerate dangerously low populations of Plains bison. During its 31 years of operation, the park produced 40,000 bison, but also suffered from its breeding success. In the 1920s 6,700 animals were relocated to Wood Buffalo National Park in northern Alberta, which at that time contained the world’s largest herd of free-roaming Wood bison. Unfortunately, this resulted in most of the current bison in the Park now being considered hybrid bison, due to the interbreeding of the two sub-species. 

Thus, it was thought the wood bison were completely extinct by the 1940s. However, in 1957 a relatively pure wood bison herd was discovered in a remote part of Wood Buffalo National Park and in 1965, 23 of these bison were relocated to the south side of Elk Island National Park and their descendants remain there today, as the most genetically pure wood bison remaining in the World. 

Elk Island National Park is somewhat unique in that, not only is it only national park which is completely fenced, but is also separated into two sections by the Yellowhead Highway. This conveniently enables the park to actively manage a herd of about 400 pure-bred and disease free plains bison, along with 300 wood bison, in two separate compounds. When the bison herds in the park go over these amounts they are sold and relocated elsewhere.

Canada’s efforts in protecting both sub-species over the past 100 years has enabled bison to be reintroduced to many areas of Canada, and the United States. Stock has even been sent to Russia, partly to replace the extinct steppe bison in that habitat, but also to protect against any disease wiping out the North American herd of the species.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 9

Thought I would let you all know that I got my Moderna booster for the immunocompromised (that's a long word) yesterday and almost no reaction today from it.  Did some work on my other house today; replaced a broken window in the storage building while the sun was shining then got rained out and came home early.

Had the second incident a few days ago where my Direct TV suddenly added a $10 monthly charge for a service I did not order.  Called them and discussed it politely with the representative.  She not only removed the charges, but reduced my bill by $15 a month for the next twelve months.  Guess it pays to complain in a civil manner.

Took advantage of "wine tasting day" by digging into my wine collection and trying a Cabernet from Chile I bought a year or two ago.  Of course I really don't need an excuse for that.

Ray

• Like 18
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

@Cruising-along I also can't believe how stupid some people are when it comes to bison.  The maddest I've ever seen a park ranger was in Yellowstone years ago.  Traffic was backed up, with people getting out of their cars to see the bison.  The ranger finally "lost it" when people wouldn't move.  She didn't really say anything, but you could tell by the way she looked and kept motioning cars forward.  Unfortunately, you can't fix stupid.

Sadly when you visit Yellowstone as often as we do, you see way too many people being stupid. 😞  Every time I think there can't be anything worse, there always is.  

On one visit one of the rangers told us that he spends more of his time protecting the bison than the protecting the tourists.  (Some of the Yellowstone groups I belong to on FB call them "tourons", but I won't go there). 😂

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Sadly when you visit Yellowstone as often as we do, you see way too many people being stupid. 😞  Every time I think there can't be anything worse, there always is.  

On one visit one of the rangers told us that he spends more of his time protecting the bison than the protecting the tourists.  (Some of the Yellowstone groups I belong to on FB call them "tourons", but I won't go there). 😂

I don't know if it's because I'm getting older, or if more people are getting where  they think they know best and are invincible.  It just seems that more people are taking stupid, dangerous risks.  It's mind boggling.

Lenda

• Like 10

Time for me to close up shop here but after all my visits to CC today I don't think we saw any photos of Sharm el Sheikh.  If there were some and I missed it, I hope someone will point out which post or page so I can check them out tomorrow.  Thanks!  See you tomorrow!

• Like 10

10 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Time for me to close up shop here but after all my visits to CC today I don't think we saw any photos of Sharm el Sheikh.  If there were some and I missed it, I hope someone will point out which post or page so I can check them out tomorrow.  Thanks!  See you tomorrow!

There were no pics of todays port that I saw posted.

• Like 6

Thank you to Rich @richwmnfor the Daily, to Roy @rafinmd for the Care and Celebration Lists, and sunrise photo, also thanks for the recipes, humour and the photos of the Bison.....have never seen a Bison.

@smitty34877 sorry to read that Tana has had to be re-admitted to hospital, best wishes for her improvement, and can soon  return home.

@lazey1 sorry that Kakalina has to wait so long for an MRI.

@Seasick Sailor hope that your friend Walker is kept comfortable.

It's been a sunny Sunday morning, beginning to be cloudy now, temperature 17 C.

Stay safe, take care everyone.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, durangoscots said:

Just wandered the house turning clocks back. Now I will be confused for the next couple of hours.

Susan

Here in Arizona we don't have to worry, except for the atomic clocks that think all clocks in the mountain time zone are falling back.  Even when you're not falling back, you still have to mess with clocks.  🤣

Lenda

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

For the people who are concerned about getting too close to bison (buffalo).

Going for a drive.

I've spent time visiting Bailey, Jr., as he's located not too far from where we live. Never got the opportunity to see Bailey, Sr., but he got to ride around in a Cadillac!🙂

Around here most people normally refer to bison as buffalo, mainly in association with the names of the local parks, Wood Buffalo National Park and Buffalo National Park.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Here in Arizona we don't have to worry, except for the atomic clocks that think all clocks in the mountain time zone are falling back.  Even when you're not falling back, you still have to mess with clocks.  🤣

Lenda

Exactly!  I wish there was an Arizona time zone. I have to reset my atomic clock every time the time changes. Pacific or Mountain?  Actually we’re not either!

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Exactly!  I wish there was an Arizona time zone. I have to reset my atomic clock every time the time changes. Pacific or Mountain?  Actually we’re not either!

At least on my computer there is an Arizona time zone.  That's one thing I don't have to check tomorrow.

Lenda

• Like 5