Cozumel ferry to Playa del Carmen

gaelicmom3

Our cruise line canceled our shore excursion in Cozumel, which is actually on the mainland. We booked through the cruise line so we wouldn't have to deal with the ferry and taxi on our own but we really want to do this tour. Anyone have experience going over and back on the ferry and using a taxi in Playa del Carmen? Sounds easy enough but I am a nervous nilly. Thanks for any and all advice.

33 minutes ago, gaelicmom3 said:

Our cruise line canceled our shore excursion in Cozumel, which is actually on the mainland. We booked through the cruise line so we wouldn't have to deal with the ferry and taxi on our own but we really want to do this tour. Anyone have experience going over and back on the ferry and using a taxi in Playa del Carmen? Sounds easy enough but I am a nervous nilly. Thanks for any and all advice.

I have never done it, I have always stayed in Cozumel.  I wonder why the cruise line canceled the tour.  Is it due to covid reasons, or because of the increasing violence in that area?  If you could find a private tour to meet you at the ship and take you over that might be the easiest.  I am sorry I don't have any information to help you, I am just really curious why it was canceled.

I've done the ferry with a cruise line excursion. I wouldn't be concerned in general, would have no issues if I was there on a land based vacation. HOWEVER..... I would be concerned about being able to get back to the ferry at the right time to get back before the ship left.

• Like 1

Pre-Covid there were two ferry companies offering regular service between Coz-PDC. If you do this buy a one-way ticket to get to PDC because when you return it may be the other company that has the next departure back to Coz.

Not sure when you are planning to visit or where you want to go on the mainland but I would be sure to check the schedule VERY carefully.

As John said there are two ferry companies but last I heard they were only operating on alternate days. There were reports of very long lines in the summer and passengers were advised to pre- book although I believe they have since added extra crossings. You would need to check carefully times and which operator for your particular day AND take into consideration tAxi TO and FROM where you dock to ferry pier (unless you are at Langosta in which case you could walk). The changes in operations may be why the  cruise line  has cancelled their excursions. Cruise lines used to charter sailings directly to their piers for mainland excursions and wait for the ferry if there were any delays.

I agree with above poster -  I only do Cozumel excursions on cruise ship days. I would only do mainland excursions while staying on the mainland, or possibly while staying on Cozumel when timing isn’t so critical.

• Like 1

On 11/8/2021 at 8:25 AM, tw67 said:

I have never done it, I have always stayed in Cozumel.  I wonder why the cruise line canceled the tour.  Is it due to covid reasons, or because of the increasing violence in that area?  If you could find a private tour to meet you at the ship and take you over that might be the easiest.  I am sorry I don't have any information to help you, I am just really curious why it was canceled.

https://www.theyucatantimes.com/2021/10/germany-issues-travel-alert-to-mexico-after-killings-of-foreigners-in-tulum/

11 minutes ago, bajathree said:

Yikes! Thank you for posting this. My research about safety in the area gave me 3 blog-type articles saying it was very safe, but they were older. This one did not show up. I have now decided to cancel our plans and choose a different activity on Cozumel.

On 11/8/2021 at 8:25 AM, tw67 said:

In answer to this question, a rep for the cruise line answered my email inquiry saying that "because of protocols" they were not doing any excursions to the mainland, but other excursions very similar to ours, and on the mainland, still show up as available to purchase, just not the one we had booked which was then canceled. I am not sure if it is covid related, ferry issues, or the concern for safety. Doesn't matter at this point, we're sticking close to the ship.

Again, thanks to everyone for all the information, it has really helped.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, gaelicmom3 said:

Thanks everyone for the info thus far. Lots to consider for sure. Not sure I want to tackle our adventure so we'll keep looking for information before we decide.

Here is the latest schedule from Ultramar which I think is now the only company serving the route.

https://www.ultramarferry.com/es/rutas-y-horarios

To me the issue is that the time in Playa will be limited in order to catch a ferry back.  Maybe the service levels will be increased by the time you want to go.  I did see on the splash page that the ferry is only operating on odd dates for November.  Quite strange as this is the main link to the mainland.

9 minutes ago, bajathree said:

Maybe that's it.  Although the violence wasn't directed at tourists and happened at night.  It's not clear what the OP's tour was that got cancelled.  Was it on the mainland?

8 minutes ago, SelectSys said:

Here is the latest schedule from Ultramar which I think is now the only company serving the route.

To me the issue is that the time in Playa will be limited in order to catch a ferry back.  Maybe the service levels will be increased by the time you want to go.  I did see on the splash page that the ferry is only operating on odd dates for November.  Quite strange as this is the main link to the mainland.

Maybe that's it.  Although the violence wasn't directed at tourists and happened at night.  It's not clear what the OP's tour was that got cancelled.  Was it on the mainland?

Yes, I did state that the tour was on the mainland, going to a cenote. All the cenotes are on the mainland. Oh well. Lots of other things to choose from.

4 minutes ago, gaelicmom3 said:

I am not sure if it is covid related, ferry issues, or the concern for safety.

The ferry web site has me puzzled with such limited service for November.  It could be that they are simply overhauling or doing maintenance to the fleet in advance of the busy winter season.

Mexico never closed anything due to COVID.  It wasn't that.  The other factor might have been the underlying tour operator changed the price or went out of business.

7 minutes ago, gaelicmom3 said:

Doesn't matter at this point, we're sticking close to the ship.

You will still have a nice time.  Walking around the center of town is nice and lots of shops are spread out along the "malecon."  Lot's of restaurants as well.  My recommendation would be to look on line and see what has the best combination of food, views and ambience that you are looking for.

3 minutes ago, gaelicmom3 said:

Yes, I did state that the tour was on the mainland,

got it. my eyes must be getting even worse.

55 minutes ago, SelectSys said:

https://www.winjet.mx/#

The other ferry service is Winjets although they only seem to be publishing schedule a day ahead. The services have been running alternate days for some time as I posted in #5

53 minutes ago, gaelicmom3 said:

Yes, I did state that the tour was on the mainland, going to a cenote. All the cenotes are on the mainland. Oh well. Lots of other things to choose from.

There are some cenotes on Cozumel but nothing of the scale or as well-known as the mainland.

Are you particularly looking for water activity or just something more adventurous than a beach day?

Edited by c-leg5

Having been to the cenotes near Tulum and being an adventurous sort,even I would NOT attempt this on your own without ship excursion.  There is a reason ALL ship tours are being cancelled to mainland from cozumel.  I suspect its the covid protocols plus possibly what happened with the hotel in cancun and the tulum incident.  Its a 45 minute ferry ride then an hour travel to see a hole with water.  Even pre pandemic, I would not attempt this.  And Im one who detests ship excursions unless it is the only safe way to get somewhere.

On 11/10/2021 at 1:53 AM, jean87510 said:

I suspect its the covid protocols plus possibly what happened with the hotel in cancun and the tulum incident.

The COVID protocols of the cruise ship?  It certainly isn't the Mexican protocols.

On 11/9/2021 at 8:18 PM, c-leg5 said:

https://www.winjet.mx/#

The other ferry service is Winjets although they only seem to be publishing schedule a day ahead. The services have been running alternate days for some time as I posted in #5

Thanks, for a while it was only one company. 

Does anyone remember the ferry explosions ?

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-mexico-blast/u-s-issues-alert-after-tourist-ferry-explosion-in-mexico-idUSKCN1GE0AC

Perhaps a message was being sent.  Will it happen again?  Is this the reason for the cancellations?

Edited by SelectSys

2 hours ago, SelectSys said:

Thanks, for a while it was only one company. 

Does anyone remember the ferry explosions ?

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-mexico-blast/u-s-issues-alert-after-tourist-ferry-explosion-in-mexico-idUSKCN1GE0AC

Perhaps a message was being sent.  Will it happen again?  Is this the reason for the cancellations?

Did you read “ the rest of the story”?

There were actually three companies, including Barcos Caribe that had the explosion.

Edited by c-leg5

• 2 weeks later...

My cruise (December 5, Caribbean Princess) is still offering this excursion on the website. But I'm not sure it will work out because we just had our itinerary change. We're now scheduled to depart Cozumel at 5 but the excursion shows it not ending until 6:30.

We took the ship's excursion to Tulum on one cruise. The ferry certainly lived up to its reputation as the vomit comet. It was a rough crossing. Fortunately, neither of us got seasick on the ride over or back. I'm glad I finally got to see the ruins at Tulum, but it's not something I would do again.

1 hour ago, geoherb said:

My cruise (December 5, Caribbean Princess) is still offering this excursion on the website. But I'm not sure it will work out because we just had our itinerary change. We're now scheduled to depart Cozumel at 5 but the excursion shows it not ending until 6:30.

We took the ship's excursion to Tulum on one cruise. The ferry certainly lived up to its reputation as the vomit comet. It was a rough crossing. Fortunately, neither of us got seasick on the ride over or back. I'm glad I finally got to see the ruins at Tulum, but it's not something I would do again.

I agree...it's a very long hot day trip. And I have also been on the vomit commit in rough conditions where everyone around me was getting sick...not a pretty sight.

Edited by bajathree

We used the ferry last summer. We stayed at an all inclusive for a week in Cozumel but had to fly home out of Cancun. The ferry was on time, clean, and fast. 

Upon arrival in Playa there are ample taxis. It’s chaos actually but can be done easily.