Does anyone have pets??!1

KKB

3 1/2 years ago we downsized. Several months later DH decided we needed 2 new cats (WHY?)

I balked, said we want to travel when we retire & that is an added headache. I lost. 

Of course love them now. But one is a bit high maintenance & a quick daily visit is necessary.

My mother has always happy to stop in daily to care for them when we travel but sadly a cancer may take her from us too soon.

We have a one college aged son in town for at least a year and a half...

What then? Do we just hire a high school student to stop in daily for $100/week?

A world cruise is my dream. We are looking at a 32 day cruise in spring 2023 or a 52 day cruise fall 2023.

It appears boarding them would be astronomical; plus I suspect one of them would not tolerate it well.

Does anyone have pets & take long cruises? 

12 hours ago, KKB said:

3 1/2 years ago we downsized. Several months later DH decided we needed 2 new cats (WHY?)

I balked, said we want to travel when we retire & that is an added headache. I lost. 

Of course love them now. But one is a bit high maintenance & a quick daily visit is necessary.

My mother has always happy to stop in daily to care for them when we travel but sadly a cancer may take her from us too soon.

We have a one college aged son in town for at least a year and a half...

What then? Do we just hire a high school student to stop in daily for $100/week?

A world cruise is my dream. We are looking at a 32 day cruise in spring 2023 or a 52 day cruise fall 2023.

It appears boarding them would be astronomical; plus I suspect one of them would not tolerate it well.

Check out this website, which we used for our last World Cruise

https://www.trustedhousesitters.com/

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, KKB said:

No.  The reasons you cite are the reasons I don't.  I am a "cat person".  I'd enjoy having a furry creature curl up in my lap while he/she takes a snooze.  But, leaving the animal for a long period of time, that's unfair to the animal.  

After each of our cats, we say "no more".  Then a cat comes along.  We accepted the current one with my friend's promise that she would board him any time we go away.  She has.  But he doesn't like it.  Last time, it took the three of us half an hour to catch him and put him into the carrier.  Now, after two years of just being at home with us (which has been a joyful part of the lockdown), I'm dreading taking him to her house in February.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

After each of our cats, we say "no more".  Then a cat comes along.  We accepted the current one with my friend's promise that she would board him any time we go away.  She has.  But he doesn't like it.  Last time, it took the three of us half an hour to catch him and put him into the carrier.  Now, after two years of just being at home with us (which has been a joyful part of the lockdown), I'm dreading taking him to her house in February.

We lost a cat because the cat knew where we were taking him before we left for a vacation trip.  When we arrived at the vet's office (who boarded pets), the cat recognized where he was, jumped out of my Mother's arms, and ran into a field around the vet's office.  None of us could find him; informed the vet what happened to be on the look-out for him; returned to search again after our trip.  No cat.  

Right now we are on a 56 day cruise and have farmed out the dog and the cat.  I am very happy with the places we have chosen for our problem children, and I know that both are going to be spoiled rotten by the time we return.

However, for our World Cruise, we bribed my sister to move to WA and dog and cat sit.  Her job has gone to WFH only so as long as she has internet, she is good.  She is wanting to get out of MN, is selling her house and the 6 months she is living in our house she is going to try to figure out where she wants to live.  

DH and I have both decided that if we want to continue to travel like this that these will be our last pets until we stop traveling.

• Like 1

Heidi13,

We have a niece who will take our dog for now  but have looked into trusted house sitters as leaving a house empty is problematic. It would solve dog and house problem. Have you found one person you like and keep using or multiple people? I would love to know how you personally screen some one who could live far away. 

4 hours ago, travelwell said:

Heidi13,

We have a niece who will take our dog for now  but have looked into trusted house sitters as leaving a house empty is problematic. It would solve dog and house problem. Have you found one person you like and keep using or multiple people? I would love to know how you personally screen some one who could live far away. 

We have only used them once and it wasn't the best experience. However, we put it down to COVID times, as they were from Brazil and left early to return to the country before it shut down.

Fortunately, we have a back up plan, as our daughter & SIL live upstairs.

Will certainly consider them again for our next World Cruise.

• 5 months later...

We have two senior chihuahuas and we bribe our daughter. We are having new flooring put in her sun room for her watching the dogs during our 2023 Princess World Cruise as well as our two month motorcycle trip this summer. They mostly sleep. When they are no longer with us, We will not replace these two until we are done traveling.