Jump to content

WIFI, drinks for Haven


molemaui
 Share

Recommended Posts

When looking at the promos for NCL, the Haven comes with all the "Free at Sea" offers. Looking deeper, I learned drinks are limited to $15. Not knowing individual drink pricing, does this cover single malt scotches (mid range-I understand McCallan 18 would not be covered), good bourbons i.e. Woodford Reserve and similar, Grey Goose, etc?

 

Next, WIFI. I've come to learn it only covers 250 minutes on one device at a time. You then have to purchase a second connection at $30/day so you're not switching back and forth. 

 

Do I understand this correctly? This could be a show stopper. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, molemaui said:

When looking at the promos for NCL, the Haven comes with all the "Free at Sea" offers. Looking deeper, I learned drinks are limited to $15. Not knowing individual drink pricing, does this cover single malt scotches (mid range-I understand McCallan 18 would not be covered), good bourbons i.e. Woodford Reserve and similar, Grey Goose, etc?

You can see the full lists here: https://www.ncl.com/ca/en/onboard-packages/beverage-packages 

 

There are lists for the Premium and Premium Plus packages. The Premium Plus package is an additional $29/day (plus 20%, so closer to $35). Grey Goose is premium, Woodford Reserve is premium plus. 

 

As mentioned, you can still buy more expensive drinks with the Premium package and just pay the difference above $15.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Carnac767 said:

Yes, the wifi minutes can only be used by one device at a time.  If someone else with you needs to log on, you have to log off . . . or get a second plan.

 

1 hour ago, Two Wheels Only said:

With a drink over $15, you only pay the difference plus 20% on that difference. A $20 shot would be $6 ($5 + $1). Certain drinks such as Starbucks, bottled water, etc. aren't covered under the standard package (PBP), though.

 

50 minutes ago, AndyCapn said:

You can see the full lists here: https://www.ncl.com/ca/en/onboard-packages/beverage-packages 

 

Thank you!! Appreciate al the information and quick responses. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

For WiFi,  you can purchase an unlimited plan for one device, and then use your hotspot feature on your phone to share with other devices.  You'll need to make sure that the device you get it on is able to connect to wifi and also act as a hotspot at the same time.  This is easy enough to test at home with your home wifi.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, ScottIsMyName said:

For WiFi,  you can purchase an unlimited plan ... This is easy enough to test at home with your home wifi.

 

Curious if you have actually done this successfully onboard before, on 1 or more NCL ships and your experience with resulting speed, latency & lags.   Odds are that it "should" be fine with basic email, news & weather and web surfing but not so simple against the bandwidth in live streaming or HD video calls like Zoom.  Unlike "home" WiFi (whether it's cable or FiOS, ours being 300/300 Mbps with ultra-low latency) - ship's satellite deployed by NCL are difficult to compare - some are comparable to 3G only with 4G being good ... a different story if you are on RCL or Carnival brand's fleet of ships.  

 

It is usable but let's be practical about expectations.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, mking8288 said:

 

Curious if you have actually done this successfully onboard before, on 1 or more NCL ships and your experience with resulting speed, latency & lags.   Odds are that it "should" be fine with basic email, news & weather and web surfing but not so simple against the bandwidth in live streaming or HD video calls like Zoom.  Unlike "home" WiFi (whether it's cable or FiOS, ours being 300/300 Mbps with ultra-low latency) - ship's satellite deployed by NCL are difficult to compare - some are comparable to 3G only with 4G being good ... a different story if you are on RCL or Carnival brand's fleet of ships.  

 

It is usable but let's be practical about expectations.  

 

I just got off the Gem last week and it worked fine.  Regardless of if you're sharing or not, live streaming and the like aren't going to work like they would at home.  Basically, what I'm saying is that sharing an internet connection is not going to degrade your connection.  There is a fixed amount of bandwidth available on the ship and whether you're sharing your connection via a hotspot, or you're making separate connections is not going to  make a bit of difference.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Above is the list covered by the Premium Drink Package.  That should answer your first question.  Your second question on internet is a bit harder.  You can upgrade your internet to unlimited streaming for about $80.00 for the week.  I do this all the time.  The second part of your question is NCL only gives you the Internet for one device at a time.  So when a member of your party wants the internet, they log on and it logs you off.  

 

When it is my wife and I we deal this this as a minor inconvenience.  When it is four folks in my cabin all that use Internet, I buy a separate internet package for two more devices giving the suite a total of 3 at one time.  I am the one that has no internet.  WHY, I am on vacation.  None needed. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

Above is the list covered by the Premium Drink Package.  That should answer your first question.  Your second question on internet is a bit harder.  You can upgrade your internet to unlimited streaming for about $80.00 for the week.  I do this all the time.  The second part of your question is NCL only gives you the Internet for one device at a time.  So when a member of your party wants the internet, they log on and it logs you off.  

 

When it is my wife and I we deal this this as a minor inconvenience.  When it is four folks in my cabin all that use Internet, I buy a separate internet package for two more devices giving the suite a total of 3 at one time.  I am the one that has no internet.  WHY, I am on vacation.  None needed. 

 

You have a separate thread entitled "Real-Time Pre, During and Post Review of the NCL Joy, November 27, 2021 Sailing in the Haven".  How do you intend to do the "during" without an internet connection?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, pbenjamin said:

 

You have a separate thread entitled "Real-Time Pre, During and Post Review of the NCL Joy, November 27, 2021 Sailing in the Haven".  How do you intend to do the "during" without an internet connection?

LOL, I will borrow my wife's when she is not using it.  The way it works is, all the people in the suite can use the internet.  Just one device at a time.  So when my wife is on the internet, she uses it, when I am on the internet she won't.  The other to WiFi devices goes to each one of my kids.  They use a phone with internet much differently then my wife and I do.  I also knew with them, we would have a family fight.  So, since I want NO DRAMA on this vacation, I made it me that has to share with my wife.  

 

I know, I know, I should have gotten one device for everyone.  But I cheap out.  I choose a massage instead.  Hope that makes sense.  

 

Cruise well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, molemaui said:

When looking at the promos for NCL, the Haven comes with all the "Free at Sea" offers. Looking deeper, I learned drinks are limited to $15. Not knowing individual drink pricing, does this cover single malt scotches (mid range-I understand McCallan 18 would not be covered), good bourbons i.e. Woodford Reserve and similar, Grey Goose, etc?

A couple of bar menus. The package will cover the first $15 of the drink price. You pay the difference. 

 

Maltings Whiskey Bar.pdf

Bar Menu.pdf

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Really tired of the bait and switch I seem to be getting from NCL. One rep tells me Haven doesn't get the premium drink package, they get the "ultimate" drink package. Couldn't find ultimate anywhere until I saw an old post where ultimate was renamed premium. A PCC that keeps badgering me says it includes everything. Thanks to you answering my initial questions, I feel I have accurate information. 

 

This wouldn't be such a big deal but on the lines I sail most, suite customers have no need to upgrade anything unless it's for something like Opus One wine,  Dom Perignon or McCallan 18. Those I would expect an uncharge for.

 

I sometimes tend to over analyze things but I use $1000/day for 2 as a high end benchmark for cruising. I don't include airfare because you have to fly there anyway. Just sailed Celebrity in Retreat (Haven copycat) with a cost of approx. $693/day. Sailing Silversea next month for approx. $770 day. For January planning on either Oceana-$732/day or Crystal-$1042.day. (small suite-allowing for extra cost-all inclusive) The closest I come with Haven is $971/day which includes upgrading drink package to equal the others. Even if I'm off by a few dollars, you get the picture. 

 

I keep watching sales and specials and like booking ultra last minute if something that interests us is available. Will keep checking Haven but not at $1000/day. 

 

Somebody, please prove me wrong or at least show me where I'm mistaken. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, molemaui said:

Really tired of the bait and switch I seem to be getting from NCL. One rep tells me Haven doesn't get the premium drink package, they get the "ultimate" drink package. Couldn't find ultimate anywhere until I saw an old post where ultimate was renamed premium. A PCC that keeps badgering me says it includes everything. Thanks to you answering my initial questions, I feel I have accurate information. 

 

This wouldn't be such a big deal but on the lines I sail most, suite customers have no need to upgrade anything unless it's for something like Opus One wine,  Dom Perignon or McCallan 18. Those I would expect an uncharge for.

 

I sometimes tend to over analyze things but I use $1000/day for 2 as a high end benchmark for cruising. I don't include airfare because you have to fly there anyway. Just sailed Celebrity in Retreat (Haven copycat) with a cost of approx. $693/day. Sailing Silversea next month for approx. $770 day. For January planning on either Oceana-$732/day or Crystal-$1042.day. (small suite-allowing for extra cost-all inclusive) The closest I come with Haven is $971/day which includes upgrading drink package to equal the others. Even if I'm off by a few dollars, you get the picture. 

 

I keep watching sales and specials and like booking ultra last minute if something that interests us is available. Will keep checking Haven but not at $1000/day. 

 

Somebody, please prove me wrong or at least show me where I'm mistaken. 

I agree with you and you are not wrong but that’s a personal opinion.  Celebrity Retreat in my opinion is better than the Haven.  The service by the crew are both wonderful and warm but on Celebrity it’s just a notch above.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, molemaui said:

Really tired of the bait and switch I seem to be getting from NCL. One rep tells me Haven doesn't get the premium drink package, they get the "ultimate" drink package. Couldn't find ultimate anywhere until I saw an old post where ultimate was renamed premium. A PCC that keeps badgering me says it includes everything. Thanks to you answering my initial questions, I feel I have accurate information. 

 

This wouldn't be such a big deal but on the lines I sail most, suite customers have no need to upgrade anything unless it's for something like Opus One wine,  Dom Perignon or McCallan 18. Those I would expect an uncharge for.

 

I sometimes tend to over analyze things but I use $1000/day for 2 as a high end benchmark for cruising. I don't include airfare because you have to fly there anyway. Just sailed Celebrity in Retreat (Haven copycat) with a cost of approx. $693/day. Sailing Silversea next month for approx. $770 day. For January planning on either Oceana-$732/day or Crystal-$1042.day. (small suite-allowing for extra cost-all inclusive) The closest I come with Haven is $971/day which includes upgrading drink package to equal the others. Even if I'm off by a few dollars, you get the picture. 

 

I keep watching sales and specials and like booking ultra last minute if something that interests us is available. Will keep checking Haven but not at $1000/day. 

 

Somebody, please prove me wrong or at least show me where I'm mistaken. 

I would be interested in hearing your thoughts on Retreat vs. Haven after you have sailed both. We have teens sailing with us, and sharing a bathroom with them is NOT a vacation, so our best option on Celebrity would be two sky suites, which usually comes out to more than the Haven 2-bedroom (and 2 bathroom!) family villa. Plus NCL has better programming for teens. When we are empty nesters in a few years, Celebrity Retreat may make more sense. 
 

I agree with you about the silliness of the beverage packages, and find it very annoying that the only way to get water and coffee included is to buy the upgraded beverage package from NCL. My husband and I drink maybe 2 GOOD drinks per day or some good wine (as good as you can get on a ship anyway) plus a lot of coffees and sparkling water, and NCL just doesn’t seem to have a package that works for us. On Celebrity, we get the premium non-alcoholic package and just pay for alcohol a la carte. The kids also prefer sparkling water and coffee drinks to nasty Pepsi products, and NCL doesn’t have a beverage package for them. 

 

We cruise to get away from the internet (only way to get my husband a true break from work) so that part doesn’t bother me. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It all depends on the room you pick though - so be careful with blanket statements that say NCL Haven sucks, or NCL Haven is awesome, as your personal experience may differ.

 

If you happen to be in an Owners Suite - the rules are different. Those suites DO include free sparkling water (or stilled, you get to pick or can have both), they include free cans of soda in your mini fridge, and they include about 3 (# depends on the length of your cruise) free bottles of liquor to keep in your room with you as well.

 

Any of the Haven rooms you can get pitchers of juice or ice water to be kept in your mini fridge and restocked at all times. Bring a refillable water bottle, and the Haven bartenders will refill it for you with water - no need to buy plastic bottles (or cardboard boxes, whatever they're up to these days).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: AmaWaterways Announces an Extended Season on the Douro River
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...