Are You Serious

gmbhardy

Just got my flight confirmation for my January 8 Joy Cruise. NCL booked us on a 11:40 am return flight out of Fort Lauderdale to Toronto. This is an international flight with added Canadian Government Covid protocols. I think that departure time is ridiculous. We paid for the airport transfer but I doubt the bus would get there  in sufficient time. My agent called NCL and they said the departure time is within their guidelines (four hours from docking). The airline we are on is a Canadian tour operator and only runs one flight per day into Fort Lauderdale so miss that one and who knows what happens. I’m booking another flight because I don’t want the stress of trying to make this flight. I’m just really pissed.

10 minutes ago, nferr said:

Five hours from docking should be plenty of time. They'll probably get you off the ship quickly since you're on a Norwegian transfer.

I wouldn't count on it...

Just got back from a 7 day cruise on the Escape and it took us HOURS to get off the ship. After getting off the ship, we waited in line for 1.5 hours in the pouring rain for a bus to show up to drive us back to the airport. Maybe I got unlucky, but I'm not sure I'll ever let Norwegian book our flights/transportation again. I may never cruise with them again after our recent experience.

52 minutes ago, gmbhardy said:

Just got my flight confirmation for my January 8 Joy Cruise. NCL booked us on a 11:40 am return flight out of Fort Lauderdale to Toronto. 

More than sufficient time to get to the airport. Make sure to plan on doing self-carry off and handle your baggage yourself. 

• Like 2

I believe you disembark in Miami.   When we used NCL transfers coming off a Transatlantic in 2019 there was total chaos and confusion loading the buses and we were flying out of MIA.   We swore never to use their transfers again as there is really no savings and always buses and taxis waiting outside.  I believe it is also around a 40 minute ride to FLL.   Might be best to get it changed.   

It's plenty of time if you do self-disembarkation, and uber/taxi to FLL.  

If you don't do self-disembarkation, you can be waiting and trying to find your luggages. 

If you wait for the NCL bus transfer, you could be waiting for many other passengers to fill up the bus.  NCL will try to cram the cattles as much as possible onto the bus, for maximum profit (not for maximum comfort or expedience of passengers)   So if you do self-disembarkation, and see it could be a long way before the bus leaves, you might want to just uber/taxi.

Sounds like you'll get a non-stop flight FLL to YYZ.  That's good.  For us, on another cruise, we got a 8:35pm flight back to YYZ.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BirdTravels said:

More than sufficient time to get to the airport. Make sure to plan on doing self-carry off and handle your baggage yourself. 

You’re right. You have sufficient time to get to the airport but probably not on your flight.
In a pre Covid world, with all the stars aligned and good karma on your side, you might be able to make a 11:40 am flight, but I really don’t feel like getting up at 5:00 am, carting my luggage around, and getting in line at 6:00 to run off the ship at 7:00, with just a chance of making the flight. I know you brag about your early departures out of Miami but sooner or later your luck will run out. I would never book a flight out of FLL before 1:00 pm and only if I controlled the transportation. Suggesting that a 11:40 am flight is manageable is sending a wrong message to cruisers trying to coordinate travel plans. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, gmbhardy said:

You’re right. You have sufficient time to get to the airport but probably not on your flight.
In a pre Covid world, with all the stars aligned and good karma on your side, you might be able to make a 11:40 am flight, but I really don’t feel like getting up at 5:00 am, carting my luggage around, and getting in line at 6:00 to run off the ship at 7:00, with just a chance of making the flight. I know you brag about your early departures out of Miami but sooner or later your luck will run out. I would never book a flight out of FLL before 1:00 pm and only if I controlled the transportation. Suggesting that a 11:40 am flight is manageable is sending a wrong message to cruisers trying to coordinate travel plans. 

I agree with what you are saying, I wouldn't be happy about that itinerary one bit and would never book a flight that left that early.   But, you left it up to NCL and they met their guidelines.  Hence why I would never use the crusie line air - I want complete control.  Sounds like you do too.

I know my experience was different, but just to chime in...I was on The Gem and flew out of FLL Labor Day weekend after docking in Miami. We arrived at the aiport before 9:30am on the NCL bus.

Edited by AKR2011
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, AKR2011 said:

I know my experience was different, but just to chime in...I was on The Gem and flew out of FLL Labor Day weekend after docking in Miami. We arrived at the aiport before 9:30am on the NCL bus.

Well, maybe I’m wrong. Thanks for posting.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gmbhardy said:

I really don’t feel like getting up at 5:00 am, carting my luggage around, and getting in line at 6:00 to run off the ship at 7:00, with just a chance of making the flight...

I would never book a flight out of FLL before 1:00 pm and only if I controlled the transportation. Suggesting that a 11:40 am flight is manageable is sending a wrong message to cruisers trying to coordinate travel plans. 

Then you shouldn't have booked NCL air, and NCL transfer.  Book something you like rather than complaining about what NCL booked for you.

BTW there's no need to get up at 5am and line up at 6am.  We had our stuff packed, all ready.  Get up a bit before 7am, grab a quick bite.  Not that many people do the self-disembark.  Starting to self-disembark around 7am gives plenty plenty of time.

Do some research and learn rather than being so surprised.

31 minutes ago, Middleager said:

Then you shouldn't have booked NCL air, and NCL transfer.  Book something you like rather than complaining about what NCL booked for you.

BTW there's no need to get up at 5am and line up at 6am.  We had our stuff packed, all ready.  Get up a bit before 7am, grab a quick bite.  Not that many people do the self-disembark.  Starting to self-disembark around 7am gives plenty plenty of time.

Do some research and learn rather than being so surprised.

You are so right. Thanks for your post. I’ve learned a lot today.

6 hours ago, gmbhardy said:

Just got my flight confirmation for my January 8 Joy Cruise. NCL booked us on a 11:40 am return flight out of Fort Lauderdale to Toronto. This is an international flight with added Canadian Government Covid protocols. I think that departure time is ridiculous. We paid for the airport transfer but I doubt the bus would get there  in sufficient time. My agent called NCL and they said the departure time is within their guidelines (four hours from docking). The airline we are on is a Canadian tour operator and only runs one flight per day into Fort Lauderdale so miss that one and who knows what happens. I’m booking another flight because I don’t want the stress of trying to make this flight. I’m just really pissed.

If you make a concerted effort to be one of the first off, lined up, talk to customer service for priority, and get a taxi or Uber, you should be able to make that flight with time to spare…I wouldn’t worry about it. 

if you were hoping for a relaxing morning, not going to happen. But if you do all the above - and skip breakfast, you could easily make that flight.