Spending…. Card or cash?

Kristal Blade

Hi CC chums,

Hoping for some help from across the Atlantic!

We are cruising next year in Canada and USA. Right now in the U.K. most of our spending is done on our cards by tap and go. No need to enter PIN number up to a value of £100. Is it similar in North America? We have a card which has no fee for international transactions and hoping to use it, but wondered if we need to bring a big wad of cash too. 

We will be in Nevada, Utah, Colorado and New York first. Then Vancouver and Alaska.

Thanks for any advice,

Libby

Can’t tell you about the US, but here in Canada we’ve been doing Tap and Go for years.  The maximum dollar amount has also changed, too.  I recently tapped $200 at the grocery store.  However, it’s best to check with your bank before you cruise.  Your bank may have different restrictions than mine.  Also, instead of bringing cash, just use an ATM (bank associated, not private).  I never travel with more than $200 cash.

Tap and go is pretty common in the US, but not universal and it doesn't always work well. Apple Pay and Google Pay tend to work very well. 

Otherwise chip and sign much more than chip and PIN. And occasional "belt and suspenders" locations where they take Apple Pay, but you end up signing anyway!

We're not as cashless as the UK yet, I'm afraid... 

50 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

Can’t tell you about the US, but here in Canada we’ve been doing Tap and Go for years.  The maximum dollar amount has also changed, too.  I recently tapped $200 at the grocery store.  However, it’s best to check with your bank before you cruise.  Your bank may have different restrictions than mine.  Also, instead of bringing cash, just use an ATM (bank associated, not private).  I never travel with more than $200 cash.

I never leave the house without at least that much…. 🙂

• Like 1

Since our OP specifically mentioned Alaska I can report on the situation in my state.  

Alaska is large physically but small in population.  We have a limited road system.  While not the majority, a surprising number of people live in very small communities with no local bank and no ability to drive to one since they are off of our road system.  Checks are direct deposited into bank accounts and electronic payments are the norm.  Even small village stores take credit cards.  And since we are all frequent flyers most of us have the Alaska Airlines Visa credit card so we can accrue frequent flyer miles.  The Alaska card is chipped and has the contactless indicator.  Tap and go is becoming very common here.  If the merchant's terminal is not tap and go then the card is inserted into the terminal.

While there hasn't been much recent news coverage about our coin situation, early into the pandemic the US experienced a serious shortage of coins.  Stores had signs asking that unless you had the exact payment to please use a credit card -- even for very small transactions.  I was at a quilt shop several days ago to purchase a very small item.  There was the sign at the counter asking for credit cards only unless you had the exact change.  The cost was $3.61 and I used my tap and go Alaska Airlines VISA.  And my husband was shocked that his wife actually walked out of a quilt shop after spending only $3.61!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Kristal Blade said:

Hi CC chums,

We are cruising next year in Canada and USA. Right now in the U.K. most of our spending is done on our cards by tap and go. No need to enter PIN number up to a value of £100. Is it similar in North America? We have a card which has no fee for international transactions and hoping to use it, but wondered if we need to bring a big wad of cash too. 

We will be in Nevada, Utah, Colorado and New York first. Then Vancouver and Alaska.

Thanks for any advice,

Libby

With a grandson in Dallas we travel regularly to the US and use our cards everywhere - mainly using the pin.

Buying petrol/gas is the main problem as you need to insert a zip code which we don't have. Our solution is the boss (Anita) goes inside explains the problem hands over a card and then waits with the cashier while I fill up. Also it's common practice for a gas station to ask how much gas you want  - just say $30 they will charge that to the card and then when you have finished they credit back  the difference - seems odd to us but it works.

Second piece of advice have 2 different cards  - we have one in my name with the boss  (Anita) as the second card holder then a reserve in Anita's name with me as the second card holder. That way if we have a problem (we have had cards stopped 5 times in different states) we are not left without a card while the issue is being resolved. We carry the cards separately I.e I have the set in my name with Anita as the second name, she has the set in her name with me as the second - again it means if either of us were to lose a set we still have a functioning account to use. This system has saved us several times ( once in Switzerland on Christmas Eve, again in Lisbon when the ship was due to sail in an hour and 3 times in Dallas when our cards were blocked).

We carry very little cash and nothing larger than a $20 bill.

2 hours ago, Kristal Blade said:

Hi CC chums,

Thanks for any advice,

Libby

Most but not all merchants take Apple Pay, Google Pay or tap and pay credit cards. All my credit cards have been issued with tap when I get a new card. I have tested them and so far the tap cards work at the same terminals that take Apple Pay. The main places that may not do contactless are restaurants or gas stations. We don't use chip and pin in the US. We use chip and sign.  You may have to sign on a tablet. Personally I have not used cash for any payment since the pandemic began.  Both in Maryland and now Texas. Either I pay by tapping my Apple Watch to pay at stores or I hand my card to the servers at restaurants. In the US for sit down service they don't bring terminals to the table. As for limits I have not encountered any. I recently purchased a $1300 item at a Best Buy store with no problem,  If there is a limit it might be by your credit card issuer. 

22 minutes ago, the penguins said:

<snip>Buying petrol/gas is the main problem as you need to insert a zip code which we don't have. Our solution is the boss (Anita) goes inside explains the problem hands over a card and then waits with the cashier while I fill up. Also it's common practice for a gas station to ask how much gas you want  - just say $30 they will charge that to the card and then when you have finished they credit back  the difference - seems odd to us but it works.<snip>

I haven't had to enter my ZIP Code since getting cards with chips. I'd like to have to enter it (of course, I have one 🙂).

2 hours ago, Kristal Blade said:

Hi CC chums,

Thanks for any advice,

Libby

Bring cash, have at least $200 on each person, (perhaps not all in a wallet) just in case.

You  will be in a a lot of rural areas.  Sometimes card machines do not work.  Sometimes locals  trust greenbacks more than machines. Some events (like getting stranded on a road with no internet service) may require a "tip" or two to a driver-by to get help.  And some places (where our Covid home is) don't take cards at all.

Just now, hrhdhd said:

I haven't had to enter my ZIP Code since getting cards with chips. I'd like to have to enter it (of course, I have one 🙂).

Some gas stations still ask for zip code. Yesterday I filled up at Walmart, the cheapest gas around here and after I tapped it asked for my zip code. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

Some gas stations still ask for zip code. Yesterday I filled up at Walmart, the cheapest gas around here and after I tapped it asked for my zip code. 

Maybe for the tap, then. With my chip cards inserted, I don't get asked for it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hrhdhd said:

Maybe for the tap, then. With my chip cards inserted, I don't get asked for it.

The pumps at that Walmart (Murphy) ask for a zip code chip or tap. At those pumps sometimes the tap fails and cancels the transaction. Then I have to insert the chip card. In either case it asks for a zip code.  Very annoying. At other gas stations aroound here  that take a chip they have not asked for a zip code. 

4 hours ago, Catlover54 said:

Bring cash, have at least $200 on each person, (perhaps not all in a wallet) just in case.

You  will be in a a lot of rural areas.  Sometimes card machines do not work.  Sometimes locals  trust greenbacks more than machines. Some events (like getting stranded on a road with no internet service) may require a "tip" or two to a driver-by to get help.  And some places (where our Covid home is) don't take cards at all.

That is probably a good idea.I never had an issue in rural areas, the merchants will have a Square reader connected to  a tablet if they don't have a regular CC terminal but I carry two twenty dollar bills, a five and five ones just in case  in my wallet. They  have not been used since the pandemic but I beleive in having a back up.  I also have Venmo on my phone and have paid cash that way, once at a rummage sale, and once at taco food truck. But usually the food trucks and other vendors at rummage sales, flea markets, farmers markets, art festival,  can take a credit card.  I have several other situations that I pay with Venmo which is linked to a debit card.

Edited by Charles4515

This is encouraging - I have litterally been waking around with the same $20 note in my wallet for months in NZ. The only thing I use cash for is parking as  I object to the outrageous card fee. 

Do Americans still literally hand over bills for tips or do they add it to the amount before they charge it? 

19 minutes ago, lissie said:

This is encouraging - I have litterally been waking around with the same $20 note in my wallet for months in NZ. The only thing I use cash for is parking as  I object to the outrageous card fee. 

Do Americans still literally hand over bills for tips or do they add it to the amount before they charge it? 

There's a "TIP" line on the credit card slip for you to write the amount in. Some slips will have a suggested tip amount so you won't have to calculate it. 

Waitpersons would rather you pay a cash tip. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Philob said:

There's a "TIP" line on the credit card slip for you to write the amount in. Some slips will have a suggested tip amount so you won't have to calculate it. 

Plus it’s customary to tip at the bar. Are you going to NYC? Some folks who get cash tips are valets, bellmen, taxi drivers (although most have credit card readers, not sure if they are always working), porters at cruise ship piers… There is only one business in my town that is cash only (but they’ve been open for 50 years and most people know). Some smaller businesses require a minimum purchase for credit cards.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, lissie said:

If you pay by card, you typically add the tip to the amount being charges.  But at a lot of local diners you either  leave cash with the wait person to cover the charge and tip., or if there is a cashier and you are paying cash you leave the tip at the table/counter.

I can't answer your questions about credit cards, but personally we always travel with several hundred dollars in cash, mostly 'just in case'.  We have some in smaller bills, for tipping and most of the rest in twenties.

Before Covid our cash was mostly used to pay for independent excursions, not being big shoppers, or a snack or meal on shore.

Thanks everyone,

This is a great variety of responses and we are going to take less cash, but low denomination for tipping purposes. 
We know our pin number so we can tap and go, tap and pin or pay cash.

I knew this was the right place to find out!

Cheers, everyone.

Libby 

18 hours ago, the penguins said:

With a grandson in Dallas we travel regularly to the US and use our cards everywhere - mainly using the pin.

Buying petrol/gas is the main problem as you need to insert a zip code which we don't have. Our solution is the boss (Anita) goes inside explains the problem hands over a card and then waits with the cashier while I fill up. Also it's common practice for a gas station to ask how much gas you want  - just say $30 they will charge that to the card and then when you have finished they credit back  the difference - seems odd to us but it works.

Second piece of advice have 2 different cards  - we have one in my name with the boss  (Anita) as the second card holder then a reserve in Anita's name with me as the second card holder. That way if we have a problem (we have had cards stopped 5 times in different states) we are not left without a card while the issue is being resolved. We carry the cards separately I.e I have the set in my name with Anita as the second name, she has the set in her name with me as the second - again it means if either of us were to lose a set we still have a functioning account to use. This system has saved us several times ( once in Switzerland on Christmas Eve, again in Lisbon when the ship was due to sail in an hour and 3 times in Dallas when our cards were blocked).

We carry very little cash and nothing larger than a $20 bill.

Good suggestions, especially about having a backup credit card.   Your post did make me smile.  I just can't remember the last time I left the pump and paid only $30!  haha.  

I'm in Northern California.  It has been many years since I've been to any place that didn't accept credit cards.   Big towns, small towns.  Credit cards are widely used.   

12 hours ago, Philob said:

Philip is 100% correct.  They would prefer tips in cash.  However, you are perfectly OK adding the tip to your credit card.  

While a rare thing, it is a good idea to retain your CC receipts showing the tips you entered.  Some unscrupulous waitpersons will modify the tip amount after you leave.  For example, you put in $5.  They will add a 1 in front to make it $15.  Those types are more likely to target an out of towner than a local.   It is not widespread, but it happens.  Just sayin.  

Remember - there are 2 kinds of "chip" cards - one where you get to set your own PIN and one where the PIN is hard-coded into the card.  Most of our cards here in the US are still "set your PIN".  And, since we have that, the cards are set up as "signature primary" , aka "chip & sign."   I think the only time my PIN works in at an ATM or at a checkout machine; not at a kiosk in Europe.   I did work at a hotel here which installed new CC machines which the guest only used and, if the card was hard-coded, had to enter the PIN.  Had a conference show up and they all had new CCs for it but no one brought their PIN - lots of calls and texts to their admins back at the office!!

For Utah:  I haven't used cash since June (one store in Colorado only took cash).   None of my cards are yet hard-coded PIN, so I still have to sign if I'm over $25.  Yes, all the gas stations that I use still ask for ZIP Code.   You'll find a mix of old-school swipe, "put it in the slot", and tap and the occasional ApplePay.