Finally the start of the end for NZ's closed border

lissie

17 Jan kiwis can return to NZ  from Australia without MIQ 

13 Feb Kiwis can return to NZ from anywhere in the  world except for red zone countries and Indonesia, India and Fiji come off that list 1 Dec 

30 April anyone can come in 

Obviously will have to be vaccinated, tested, fill in forms.  Currently they  are saying 7 day home isolation and further tests - but doubt that will stay for long. 

Covid 19 Delta outbreak: 215 cases, fully vaxed Kiwis won't need to stay in MIQ next year - NZ Herald 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, lissie said:

13 Feb Kiwis can return to NZ from anywhere in the  world except for red zone countries and Indonesia, India and Fiji come off that list 1 Dec 

Obviously will have to be vaccinated, tested, fill in forms.  Currently they  are saying 7 day home isolation and further tests - but doubt that will stay for long. 

Covid 19 Delta outbreak: 215 cases, fully vaxed Kiwis won't need to stay in MIQ next year - NZ Herald 

Surely opening would be dependent on Covid numbers in NZ or covid numbers from passengers country of origin. What if there is another lockdown in NZ?  Borders would be closed again.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Surely opening would be dependent on Covid numbers in NZ or covid numbers from passengers country of origin. What if there is another lockdown in NZ?  Borders would be closed again.

There won't be another lockdown in NZ - not a country wide one anyways.  We ae moving into a "traffic light" system which basically means that life is fairly normal for those who are vaccinated as they can scan in  pretty much everywhere - and the unvaccinated can do very little. https://covid19.govt.nz/alert-levels-and-updates/traffic-light-system/ 

We've had months and months of more cases in Auckland than at  the border. 

There is a list of countries  which will still require visitors to do MIQ from - but its quite a short list and Fiji, Indonesia and India come off it 1 Dec 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, lissie said:

What's a ballpark number of the Kiwis who are overseas wanting to return, do you think? Just wondering how big a wave of returnees New Zealand will be coping with from mid-January until the 30th April.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sewgood said:

Fantastic news Lissie, thanks for keeping us updated.

One more step taken towards my November 2022 cruise to New Zealand.

Now I just need both our Governments to let cruise ships back in.

I think they will by then.  I hope so, I've got a Dec 22 cruise booked.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LittleFish1976 said:

What's a ballpark number of the Kiwis who are overseas wanting to return, do you think? Just wondering how big a wave of returnees New Zealand will be coping with from mid-January until the 30th April.

There have been 25,000 to 30,000 trying for the lottery to get MIQ spots - I know a number overseas none of which were even  trying for  the lottery but do want to come for a trip (but not a one-wayone) 

I've got a bunch of alerts set on google flights - I'm thinking all those planes flying in are going to be needing someone to fill them on the way back out again... 

28 minutes ago, Kiwi_cruiser said:

It will be interesting to see what they say about kiwis been able to leave New Zealand and if Australia  will let kiwis back in to some states (eg: QLD, NSW, VIC).

Fully vaccinated overseas travellers have been allowed to enter Victoria since 5th November. You just need proof of vaccination and a permit (I understand this is just a formality).

Here's the link to our health department FYI.

https://www.coronavirus.vic.gov.au/information-overseas-travellers

11 hours ago, lissie said:

There have been 25,000 to 30,000 trying for the lottery to get MIQ spots - I know a number overseas none of which were even  trying for  the lottery but do want to come for a trip (but not a one-wayone) 

I've got a bunch of alerts set on google flights - I'm thinking all those planes flying in are going to be needing someone to fill them on the way back out again... 

Well, that explains the reluctance to extend the kia ora to Aussies for another few months.

1 hour ago, MMDown Under said:

What about the new variant of the virus which they dont know a lot about yet.  Israel has closed its borders to all countries and I can’t keep up with countries closing their borders to southern African counties!

We can just watch and wait.

On 11/24/2021 at 6:57 PM, onlyslightlymad said:

I think they will by then.  I hope so, I've got a Dec 22 cruise booked.

Ovation of the Seas Xmas & New Year cruise booked on 23 Dec 2022

First cruise as Diamond, I have everything crossed that it goes as planned.

😁

• Like 1