Has anyone carried on fishing gear?

guinness67

I guess I partly answered my own question by looking at the TSA website:

Fishing Rods / Poles - Fishing Rods are permitted as carry-on and checked baggage. However, please check with your air carrier to confirm that it fits within their size limitations for carry-on items. Ultimately, it is the carrier's decision as to whether or not it can be transported as carry-on baggage.

Tackle Equipment - Fishing equipment should be placed in your checked baggage. Some tackle equipment can be considered sharp and dangerous. Expensive reels or fragile tackle such as fly's should be packed in your carry-on baggage.

Has anyone met with resistance from the airlines when carrying on rods, reels, flies, etc.?

I've always had to check my rods as baggage -- couldn't carry on plane. A friend of mine kept a box of his favorite flies in his carry-on one time and they were confiscated and he never got them back. Would you believe he wasn't happy -- to the max! On the land portion of a trip to Alaska (while loading baggage onto a truck), the front end loader dropped my Orvis rod (in a metal case) and ran over it and destroyed it. Princess paid for a new one with no questions asked (but I didn't have it for last half of the trip). On some trips I take a 7 piece Cabela rod that fits in my luggage and is a decent rod.

Bob

Bob,

After Princess paid for your new Orvis rod, did you send the rod back to Orvis and take advantage of their guarantee? Two rods for the price of one.

Although the TSA site says one thing, I bet that there is a lot of inconsistency in the field. I'll try to get some information from American Airlines, too. I'd hate to actually get the gear through the screener only to have the flight attendant tell me "no".

I didn't get a second rod from Orvis -- perhaps I should have -- but I had to send the new rod invoice to Princess for payment -- and I got a check right away. As to those flies being confiscated, I guess that is one of those things that is decided by the particular TSA employee. Perhaps there were many who wouldn't have taken the flies. My friend argued -- at length -- but it was to no avail. I thought that was pretty mean. But I've had a few confiscate my bug sray (in an aerosol can) and others just ignore it and let it go through. Who knows?

Just don't try to bring a boning knife...

When we sailed to Hawaii in 04 and were reboarding the ship after a snorkeling day, the security guards wanted to know if we had a diving or boning knife in our snorkel gear bag. We didn't, but they told us if we had one, they would have confiscated it and we would have to claim it each time we went on shore if we wanted it during the cruise.

As stated previously, my family will be doing the southern route on AOS in June. It appears as if most of the islands we will be visiting are more geared toward blue water fishing. Does anyone have any knowledge of wade fishing opportunities in Aruba, Curacao, St. Maarten, or St. Thomas?

I've fished at A, C, & St M. In A go up near the light house beaches not crowded, in C a little past the fresh water plant. Both A & C the water gets deep fast to best bet is on the bottom. In ST M. go to Marigot near the old fort. There is a basin in front of the fort next to the ferrys to Anguilla that's good for top water. Usually snorkel or dive first, then fish. BTW: the best I've had was at Anguilla, it's a short ferry ride over from ST M, best beaches in the area.

Were you targeting any specific fish? What kind of artificial lures were you using? I would prefer to bring my fly gear, but the wind could make or break my little fishing adventure. It looks like Aruba is going to be the best opportunity for me to go fishing, just due to the extended time in port. My father in law and I have been talking about renting a jeep for the day, dropping off the wife, son, and mother in law at a nice beach and then fishing for 4-6 hours.

In Aruba, are you referring to the lighthouse beaches in the NW or SE part of the island? I did read on an old saltwater fly fishing board of sporadic bonefish action around Marmok (?sp), which I believe is in the NW part. Did you need a license?

My son took fishing gear last week...we flew american and he could not carry it on. We went on vos and when we departed we waited at the baggage claim in the port for about half a hour looking for the fishing bag to come through.....some one had put it on top of the platform and it was not going around. We flew from Miami to Newark and at Newark the canvas fishing bag was ripped open on the end, but poles were ok. He had luck fishing on the right side of the beach in labadee.

Was it AA or the people at the metal detectors who wouldn't let your son carry on the fishing gear? How big was the fishing bag/rod holder? My canvas rod tube is just over 2 feet long and on the angle, should fit inside the airlines' template for determining what can be carried on (at least by size).

In Aruba it's called the California Lighthouse, it's at the tip to the island so fishing is good (calm meets rough water). Coming from the piers it's on your right, on your left is where I fish. Once you make the turn at the lighthouse the water is rough. I fish for what ever bites mostly small stuff, but have caught large permits and small sharks. I let everything go. I use DOA artificial shrimp 1/2 oz. and spooks if windy. Never tried fly fishing or got a license, usually (in FL anyway) you don't need one if fishing from a dock or land.

I don't have the answer to your question whether TSA or the airlines will allow fishing tackle on board as carry on.

I am a pilot. I used to fly for TWA. I didn't witness this but it was relayed to me from someone who I used to fly with and was there.

Back in the days of the aircraft called the Constellation, TWA flew these across the Atlantic Ocean. I am too young to have experienced the "Connie" as she was called.

Before the jet age dawned she was the sleekest and fastest airplane flying.

One senior TWA Catain, who was an avid fisherman and known to be a practical joker, actually did this.

In the middle of the flight, at night, over the middle of the North Atlantic, he got out of his seat and announced to the flight crew he was going aft to the lavatories.

As he left the cockpit he grabbed a fishing rod he had stowed earlier. He strolled very slowly and deliberately through the cabin in full uniform with the fishing rod slung over his shoulder not saying a word to any of the passengers.

All eyes on him, he stepped into the lavatory with the fishing rod, locked himself in, and stayed there for fifteen to twenty minutes.

He finally emerged with a huge fish on the end of his line. He strolled back up the entire length of the cabin with the fishing pole and fish attached slung over his shoulder, again never saying one word to anyone. He stepped back into the cockpit and shut the door.

The passengers were dumbfounded.

The captain had secretly stashed the fish in the lavatory before the flight left.

Sorry for interrupting the string.

I thought you fisherman might get a kick out of this story.

Maybe someone could try this? Probably not. TSA and the airlines have all lost their sense of humor.

Dr. Evil :)

Hi again, I measured his case and it is 42 inches long,,,, about 2 years ago we flew to Miami to go to the keys and I can't remember what airlines(It was out of Philly) but they let him carry on the same case. Last week AA told us at the baggage check he could not take it on. The fish he caught he through back on. We stayed Friday night before the cruise at the Radison in Miami and about 2 blocks away was a marina and he fished there Sat. am before we left for the port.

I don't keep any of the fish I catch. I also de-barb my hooks to reduce the chances of injury to the fish.

That's nice of you. I'm not an animal activist or anything, I just don't understand why ppl catch a fish, possibly cause injury, and toss them back (possibly to die). I was always curious. Now, I totally understand fishing for dinner!!!

Thanks!

I have seen fishermen who are very careless in catching and releasing fish. While I don't claim to know every fly fisher in the world, I would say that, as a group, those who do fly fish are fairly conservation-minded. By this, I mean that they are concerned with water cleanliness and habitat protection, in addition to the proper handling of fish.

While I wouldn't want anyone to set a hook in my mouth and pull me out of my home, I do believe that the incidence of fish mortality can be minimal if a person is educated in fishing [some examples - de-barb hooks, don't play the fish too long, limit the amount of time the fish is out of water, always handle the fish with wet hands, resuscitate the fish if it appears to be in stress (no, not mouth to gill)].

Archived