Surely Winter Cruise Staycations Are The Only Option For P and O now??

Interestedcruisefan

As we know - countries all over the world are rapidly introducing new quarantine rules on anyone entering from overseas due to the new Covid variant

I only see two options for P and O

Option 1 - Postpone cruising full stop - as nobody will be able to fly out to cruise anywhere and/or leave the ship for excursions 

Option 2 - Introduce winter cruise staycations from Southampton where guests know they won't be leaving the ship at any stage other than the end of the cruise 

Obviously they would be less appealing than the summer staycation due to the weather  but I can't see what else they can do now?

Edited by Interestedcruisefan

• Interestedcruisefan changed the title to Surely Winter Cruise Staycations Are The Only Option For P and O now??

I wouldn't expect any quick decisions or changes from P&O just yet. The new travel rules are initially in place for 3 weeks to see what path the new variant takes place. We can only but wait and see but I am certainly relieved that I don't have any cruises in the pipeline for the next 8 months...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Denarius said:

Britboys, I agree with your assesment. I believe that P&O and other cruise lines will hold their fire (as should we) until more is known about the new variant.

At the moment the experts are saying............just about anything. Its good, it's bad, we don't know but maybe not. To early to jump off the bridge.🤣. We booked a RCI cruise this morning for September. Will it go ?. Who knows.

Edited by zap99
  • Like 3

Indeed, much to early for cruise lines, or us as individuals to make decisions. 

There is some evidence emerging that inducates that whilst  the new strain might be more infectious,  the symptoms are much less severe. This could be good news, as herd immunity will increase much more rapidly. 

• Like 2

The only change in the next few weeks I suspect will be be the obvious roll back to a day 2 PCR (from Tue - so now really for cruising) and perhaps in the future we will be back to bubble tours only.. Its far to early at this point when so little is known about this variants effects re vaccinated populations - it wont be the last variant by far.

• Like 1

I hope they bring back uk only cruises - easy and safe. 

It’s a shame they are not using Arcadia and Aurora for these as they are not doing anything at the moment - nice adults only ships.

should be no problem to leave the ship at each stop in the uk.

paul 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, paulatsea said:

I hope they bring back uk only cruises - easy and safe. 

It’s a shame they are not using Arcadia and Aurora for these as they are not doing anything at the moment - nice adults only ships.

should be no problem to leave the ship at each stop in the uk.

paul 

The whole raison d'etre for winter cruise holidays is to sail off to somewhere with warm/hot winter sunshine. Disembarking at Liverpool when its wet and windy does not offer the same attraction.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

The whole raison d'etre for winter cruise holidays is to sail off to somewhere with warm/hot winter sunshine. Disembarking at Liverpool when its wet and windy does not offer the same attraction.

Agreed to some extent

But for many people its better than no winter holiday at all 

And even without the new variant to consider there have always been winter cruises that donrt involve any sun

Albeit you can normally get off the ships (as things stand)

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

A tour of UK docks in January doesn't appeal.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

As someone who finds no attraction in a Canary Islands or Caribbean cruise (especially on board a large ship) I could be tempted by a winter staycation in place of a stay at a Warner Hotel. I do however completely understand what you mean and doubt that they would be a commercial success...

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Yes - ideally and preferable - but given the constant changes etc it’s better than nothing and I would still go regardless of weather.

at lease perhaps have one or two ships going around the uk.

• Like 3

I really feel people should stop spreading doom and gloom for people who have been excitedly waiting for a cruise for so long.  Let’s just wait and see what happens rather than suggesting or predicting bad things.

• Like 19

2 hours ago, Britboys said:

I wouldn't expect any quick decisions or changes from P&O just yet. The new travel rules are initially in place for 3 weeks to see what path the new variant takes place. We can only but wait and see but I am certainly relieved that I don't have any cruises in the pipeline for the next 8 months...

Everything that has happened so far with Covid suggests that in 3 weeks time we will have far more restrictions rather than less

Switzerland have already banned UK holidaymakers from entering their country due to us having cases of the new variant

That's  ski holidays in Switzerland and France (the main entry airport for French Alps is Geneva) becoming impossible for Brits already 

Israel have already banned all tourists from entering the country full stop

Granada  were the first Caribbean country to ban entry from the first 6 countries with the new variant. And now we have it!

Theres going to be a domino effect. We've all seen it all before. It's very predictable 

Nobody from the UK should risk being overseas next few weeks with the next travel restrictions review pending

We all know from experience how little notice is given when they impose tougher restrictions on travel

As Simon Calder said yesterday. The whole travel industry is now in  total limbo

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, alsa said:

I really feel people should stop spreading doom and gloom for people who have been excitedly waiting for a cruise for so long.  Let’s just wait and see what happens rather than suggesting or predicting bad things.

Doom and gloom?

Or just being realistic?

• Like 3

Just now, Interestedcruisefan said:

Doom and gloom?

Or just being realistic?

Doom and Gloom! If the cruise lines have to keep cancelling cruises every time a new variant is found, there won't be a cruise line for anyone to cruise on in the future. They will be recovering financially from Covid for a long time. New variants are not going to stop appearing. The hospitality industry needs to adapt.

There is so much pessimism and negativity on these boards. They are a place to discuss the cruises, not government decisions. 

3 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

If there was an option I would consider a cruise staycation for 7 nights on a ship that never even leaves Southampton tbh

Food, drink, cinema  and theatre. And should be a great price. 

I prefer going somewhere and stopping off if possible - we went on Marella Uk one that stopped in Dundee - cold and raining and really grim - but a piper turned up at 0730 to welcome us - which was brilliant - and we did have a good tour to scone castle - and we got piped away as well - the welcome to Dundee sign was hilarious - 433ACAAB-724B-4302-B947-87290E96A71F.thumb.jpeg.199060bd9e0c6877ad72a07f0bc6d1cb.jpeg

D33AC568-4049-481E-90F1-760E434B09F2.jpeg

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Glitterati said:

Doom and Gloom! If the cruise lines have to keep cancelling cruises every time a new variant is found, there won't be a cruise line for anyone to cruise on in the future. They will be recovering financially from Covid for a long time. New variants are not going to stop appearing. The hospitality industry needs to adapt.

There is so much pessimism and negativity on these boards. They are a place to discuss the cruises, not government decisions. 

Absolutely right. The Scottish chap on Dad's army comes to mind. We now have 3 cruises booked for next year, 1 Canaries hotel holiday and a week in Cornwall. Will the glums stop these holidays , or just cause a little amusement?.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

If there was an option I would consider a cruise staycation for 7 nights on a ship that never even leaves Southampton tbh

Food, drink, cinema  and theatre. And should be a great price. 

Even I might be tempted on board Iona for, say, four nights if she wasn't leaving the port of Southampton...

11 minutes ago, Glitterati said:

You aren't actually posting any facts there though are you?

The cruise lines don't actually have to keep cancelling cruises every time a new variant is found

This variant is serious enough for countries to start closing their borders already despite minimal cases across the world

That tells you it's serious.  Decisions like that are actually avoided if at all possible 

Hospitality can't choose what they do and adapt in these circumstances. 

It's taken out of their hands entirely

People say it's doom and gloom 

Theres a reason why share prices of cruise lines have dropped so heavily last 48 hrs

That's not doom and gloom. It's just fact