Surely Winter Cruise Staycations Are The Only Option For P and O now??

Interestedcruisefan

I am due to travel on Ventura on the New Year Cruise departing 29th December to Hamburg and Zeebrugge - I am hoping they do change it to a stay/sea cation as neither OH or I can do the self-isolation until we receive our negative covid results on return due to work commitments.  Haven't even ordered PCR tests, as if this is the requirement we won't be able to go.  Just waiting to see what P&O and the various governments decide!

1 hour ago, Megabear2 said:

Tilbury has always been London as the docks were part of the Port of London Authority.  The "cruisebport" is the old passenger terminal for liners.

The terminal at Tilbury is a lovely old building, very atmospheric, and easy to imagine that you are in a bygone age. It’s been used as a location for filming in various period piece productions. 

When we did CMV cruises, I loved the Tilbury departures, only a 45 minute drive from our house. Also, as an old Essex girl, I like that the walkway to the old Tilbury ferry is still there, also used by the Windrush people to come ashore.

• Like 3

And I can even remember getting off the steam trains as they rolled into Tilbury Riverside station from Fenchurch Street, and then reversed out again on their way to Southend and Shoeburyness - I married the daughter of one of the drivers 52 years ago - and still together!

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, bbtablet said:

And I can even remember getting off the steam trains as they rolled into Tilbury Riverside station from Fenchurch Street, and then reversed out again on their way to Southend and Shoeburyness - I married the daughter of one of the drivers 52 years ago - and still together!

The steam is a bit before my time.  Certainly remember the trains going into Tilbury Riverside and then reversing out before continuing on their way to either Fenchurch St or Southend direction.  The area that is now used as for passengers doesn't include the area which went out to the old station.  It was basically a large covered concourse.  There was a small bar and a couple of very small shops.  And as Dermotsgirl says you could go to the walkway for the ferry.  Poignant as well for the Windrush connection.

Dad's family were £10 poms back in 52 or 53.  They left from Tilbury, although they returned to the UK a few years later.

In the mid 60's my Mum came to the UK from Leningrad, arriving in ..... Tilbury!

Although we lived in South Shields in those days, after a few years we moved to a small town not far from Basildon as Mum got a better job.  Used to travel to Leningrad for the summer holidays on the old Soviet ships from Tilbury.

Although I give Tilbury a bit of a bashing from time to time, it holds a lot of importance for my family.

I think I read something recently that old the airbridges/gangways have become listed buildings.  May well even be the whole building.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, bbtablet said:

That’s lovely ❤️

I grew up in Grays, so I remember going into Tilbury Riverside on the way to Southend, but the steam trains were gone by my time. Also, when we got the ferry over to Gravesend 

My mum always had to face the direction of travel when she went on a train, otherwise she’d feel sick. So she’d always have to change seats at Tilbury Riverside when we were on the way to Southend. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I am due to go 17th Dec! Spain have already clamped down on non vaccinated passengers, so my daughter can no longer go ashore.  I am sure there will be many more changes in the coming days/weeks.  We are a bit close to the 3 weeks mark on decision making so a little concerned about this.  I would not be happy with a staycation during the winter months for the cost #i have paid, so if this happens I would like to be given some options.  However at this moment in time we are at the mercy of P&O.  Got my Morrison's slot booked for 23rd just in case 😉 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, PEMCO007 said:

I am due to go 17th Dec! Spain have already clamped down on non vaccinated passengers, so my daughter can no longer go ashore.  I am sure there will be many more changes in the coming days/weeks.  We are a bit close to the 3 weeks mark on decision making so a little concerned about this.  I would not be happy with a staycation during the winter months for the cost #i have paid, so if this happens I would like to be given some options.  However at this moment in time we are at the mercy of P&O.  Got my Morrison's slot booked for 23rd just in case 😉 

Oh dear. That is such a shame. Hopefully you will still be able to go but I think it is wise to have booked a food slot just in case! 

1 hour ago, PEMCO007 said:

The new Spanish rules are a real dog's dinner, introduced without any real thought. Thousands of Christmas holidays ruined as a result. 

Let's hope the Spanish authorities see sense and relax the rules over the next few days.

1 hour ago, Angel57 said:

Oh dear. That is such a shame. Hopefully you will still be able to go but I think it is wise to have booked a food slot just in case! 

Just need to remember to update it.  Just got a bottle of champers on order at the moment to qualify for the minimum spend lol xxx

15 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

Since world geography is not a high requirement for US schools, then most potential passengers will have little idea where Dover, Southampton or Le Havre are, so it's necessary to show the nearest major tourist attraction, which tend to be capital cities.

Totally agree.  They have no idea where anywhere is actually.  Remember it quite clearly from my flying days.

• Like 1

On 11/28/2021 at 1:42 PM, Britboys said:

I wouldn't expect any quick decisions or changes from P&O just yet. The new travel rules are initially in place for 3 weeks to see what path the new variant takes place. We can only but wait and see but I am certainly relieved that I don't have any cruises in the pipeline for the next 8 months...

Sadly I do. I've had a rough couple of years for various (not always Covid) reasons and treated myself to one, thinking it must all be over by then...

11th December is coming around rather fast now.

• Like 1

P&O are still confident all is well for the Christmas cruises. Had a call today about some other things but told there will be two Christmas jumper days.  Just what I'll be needing in St Lucia on Christmas day - perhaps they heard about my winter shopping for my now defunct Austrian Christmas...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, HikingPete said:

Sadly I do. I've had a rough couple of years for various (not always Covid) reasons and treated myself to one, thinking it must all be over by then...

Sorry to hear that and hope all goes well for your cruise in 11 days.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, HikingPete said:

Sorry to read this Hiking Pete.  I really hope things are improving for you and your treat of a cruise helps to heal. Best wishes.  Jane.x 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

P&O are still confident all is well for the Christmas cruises. Had a call today about some other things but told there will be two Christmas jumper days.  Just what I'll be needing in St Lucia on Christmas day - perhaps they heard about my winter shopping for my now defunct Austrian Christmas...

I’m assuming that’s on European cruises? I’m not packing Christmas jumpers for the Caribbean, it will take up half my case! 😂

3 hours ago, Beckett said:

Sorry to read this Hiking Pete.  I really hope things are improving for you and your treat of a cruise helps to heal. Best wishes.  Jane.x 

Thanks. In the grand scheme of things I can't really complain, but it was just something I needed to look forward to. After an accident curtailed something I had been planning for years, some health issues meaning I've been in and out of hospital and needing to relocate a few times during the pandemic all took its toll.

If it still happens I'll still enjoy it, and if it doesn't happen, it just means its something to look forward to another time. 🙂 

• Like 4

Things are looking okay at present, so fingers crossed you'll get your break.  I doubt much news will come in the next week as the scientists are doing their thing.  I assume you are on Azura arriving back Christmas day. I love that itinerary and really wanted to do it back when it launched. I'm sure you will have a fabulous time.

On 11/29/2021 at 5:51 PM, majortom10 said:

Princess still do they state embarkation/disembarkation port as London(Southampton) on all their UK cruises.

The majority of Princess passengers worldwide generally fly to their cruise hence why they list Southampton as London (Southampton).

1 minute ago, molecrochip said:

The majority of Princess passengers worldwide generally fly to their cruise hence why they list Southampton as London (Southampton).

True, which is why they also describe Civitavecchia as Rome, and the airport in Rome is just as far from the port as LHR.

On 12/2/2021 at 11:56 AM, majortom10 said:

I have spoken to many Americans on Princess and surprised how many think Southampton is a suburb of London 😀

Probably because a lot of the American Cruise Companies call Southampton, London (Southampton) rather than just Southampton.

They'd really in trouble if they were to start doing cruises from Moscow in Ayrshire.  :-)

• Haha 3