Xcelerate Stream - Wifi Calling

HBDave

8 hours ago, RichYak said:

No. When you log off, you'll have no connectivity at all except for the Celebrity App functions and maybe their website.

Thanks.  I wonder if having both is possible.  A handful of 'good' minutes and cruddy the rest of the time.  I may have to inquire when onboard.   

The ability to text is helpful, but wifi calling has proven valuable in the past (and is impossible with the cruddy plan).

13 hours ago, D C said:

Thanks.  I wonder if having both is possible.  A handful of 'good' minutes and cruddy the rest of the time.  I may have to inquire when onboard.   

The ability to text is helpful, but wifi calling has proven valuable in the past (and is impossible with the cruddy plan).

Go to the iLounge on board and they will set up two logins for you. One login for the always included surf and another log in for your Elite stream minutes. You can switch back and forth between the two. The one you need to be sure to log off of is the Elite stream minutes since those minutes will be limited. We just did this in October on the Millennium. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, DUTRAVEL said:

Go to the iLounge on board and they will set up two logins for you. One login for the always included surf and another log in for your Elite stream minutes. You can switch back and forth between the two. The one you need to be sure to log off of is the Elite stream minutes since those minutes will be limited. We just did this in October on the Millennium. 

Even if I'm an apple hater? 😅

It works just fine most of the time. We just came off Silhouette and the faster internet sucked for the most part. Luckily I get free travel pass days every month with Verizon so I just turned on in port as well.  My speed check numbers on a good day were between 1.5 and 2 Mbps. 

4 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

I just ran a speed test here on Reflection -- 2.1mbps Download, and 0.90 mbps upload.  This is going through my PIA VPN. 

I am told you can't connect to the ship's wifi with your VPN on so you have to turn it off.  Once connected, can you then turn it back on?

On 12/1/2021 at 1:11 PM, WhiteSoxFan said:

I'm am trying to figure out what speed internet I will have.  I booked under the old 4 perk option which gives us OBC, gratuities, premium drink package and Wifi unlimited.  The wifi has been rebranded and I am trying to determine if I will have the streaming package.  I want to have the ability to call via wifi to check in with my father daily.

My guess is it is the Xcelerate package as you have the Premium Drink package.  If you have the Invoice it may show as a code or call your agent or Celebrity and ask to confirm.

On 12/2/2021 at 8:27 AM, Hickeyclan1 said:

If you have Verizon, signup for their International Plan.  Cost is only $10 per day on days used.  Much cheaper

Or if you have T-Mobile you get free international internet (at 3 g speed) while on land for free.   It is fast enough for wifi calling and most other things but not the normal 5G.    I know a number of people who sign up for it for a cruise and then cancel as there is no cancellation fee.     I've used it in about 30 countries, and never a surprise charge.

Edited by Jim_Iain

On 12/2/2021 at 4:28 PM, D C said:

Thanks!

Does it revert to the cruddy wifi when you logoff? 

I didn't realise they downgraded the 'free' wifi from the previous perk-plan.  It was rather frustrating at times last month. 

You have no wifi when logged off but you still have access to use the App to make reservations, see your account etc etc... and to communicate with those you are joined to with the limited messaging function.

On 12/4/2021 at 4:01 PM, Auntiemomo said:

I am told you can't connect to the ship's wifi with your VPN on so you have to turn it off.  Once connected, can you then turn it back on?

You are absolutely correct.   I've done it many times.    I'm glad you posted this as many get stuck if they have their VPN turned on and try to connect.

23 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

Don't do this! Their plans apply to land only. Onboard you'd get hit with huge charges.

I think it was recommended as an in-port connection solution.

A question about pre-boarding wifi purchases. It seems that is cheaper for 1 passenger to buy a plan for 2 devices than 2 passengers buying a 1 device plan each. I'm assuming there's nothing to prevent someone from buying a 2 device wifi plan and allowing the other passenger to use the WiFi plan simultaneously as long as both people are using the same logon ID and password?

On 12/1/2021 at 12:27 PM, PTC DAWG said:

the reason I wish there was no WiFi on ships

That's great expect for folks like me that still need to spend some time keeping our small business running while on the ship (online.)   I would super to abandon it, but no dice. A little time each day online keeps us going while we travel.

56 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

A question about pre-boarding wifi purchases. It seems that is cheaper for 1 passenger to buy a plan for 2 devices than 2 passengers buying a 1 device plan each. I'm assuming there's nothing to prevent someone from buying a 2 device wifi plan and allowing the other passenger to use the WiFi plan simultaneously as long as both people are using the same logon ID and password?

Most people get the surf wifi with booking.  You will not be purchasing a 2-device package, but upgrading 2 separate packages.  Call to get the Elite or Elite+ discounts.  If you do not have any package, then purchasing a 2-device is the way to go.