The Daily for Thursday December 02, 2021

richwmn

Today is National Fritters Day, Special Education Day, and National Mutt Day

Our life always expresses the result of our dominant thoughts. - Soren Kierkegaard

Meal suggestion for today - Maple-Glazed Roasted Turkey Breast

Drink of the Day - Juan Collins

Wine of the day - Cabernario No.8 Cabernet Sauvignon 2017

Destination of the Day - Quepos Costa Rica

Ships with Passengers

At Sea Caribbean
Nieuw Amsterdam Port Everglades, Fort Lauderda
Rotterdam destination St Maartin

At Sea Pacific
Koningsdam destination Puerto Vallarta

Puerto Limon, Costa Rica
Eurodam 06:30 - 16:00

Saint Thomas Island, Charlotte Amalie, USVI
Nieuw Statendam 08:00 - 17:00

Ships without Passengers

Corfu GR
Volendam
Zaandam

La Paz MX
Westerdam Anchorage

Long Beach CA US
Zuiderdam Anchorage

Princess Cays
Noordam Anchorage

Scheveningen NL
Oosterdam Anchorage

1202World.png

• Like 27
  • Thanks 14

Good morning everyone and thanks for the daily report.  I love apple fritters. Special ed. is so important.  Mutts are the best, so even tempered.  The quote makes one want to focus on one’s less dominant thoughts.  The meal suggestion sounds delicious but a little too soon for more turkey.  Have not been to today’s port, someday perhaps.  Prayers for everyone on today’s prayer list and cheers to all of you celebrating happy events today.

• Like 24

Good afternoon.

It is 34°F and sunny with a couple of inches of snow on my car.

Thank you for today's daily Rich.

Interesting days.

Mixed breeds were found to be more intelligent than pure breed dogs.

Education is very important but covid has affected a lot of students learning.

Interesting quote.

Nice food and wine of the day.

Prayers for everyone on the care list.

We have never been to today's port so looking forward to seeing photos.

I hope everyone has a nice day.

Take care and stay safe.

Graham.

Screenshot_20211202_114845.jpg

Screenshot_20211202_114806.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 28
  • Thanks 2

Good morning and thanks for the Daily Report.

Interesting days.  I've never made fritters.  Special education is extremely important.  Bertie Woofster thinks everyday is Mutt Day.🙂

Thought provoking quote.

The meal sounds good, hope the drink and wine are tasty too.

I've never been to today's port, looking forward to seeing pictures.

It's windy and rainy here today, most of our snow has melted. 

Prayers for everyone.

Have a wonderful day.  Stay safe.

• Like 25

Thank you for the Thursday Daily, Rich.  I haven't had a fritter since my college days.  Mutts and Special Education have special places in our lives.  I love the meal and the Kierkegaard quote.  I've been to Costa Rica but not to Quepos.

Today’s care list:

Welfare of furloughed crews
Seasick Sailor’s friend Walker wthdrawing from cancer treatments
NW and BC flooding, mudslides, and people trapped between closures with diminishing supplies
kakalina with spreading lung cancer in hospice
SrLouisCruisers friend John with end stage melanoma
SrLouisCruiser awaiting MOHL results
Strength for smitty34877 and tana
Strength for Cunnorl, DH, and family on passing of SIL
JazzyV’s best friends MOHS surgery TODAY
Cruisingalong pre-travel malaise
summer slope awaiting biopsy results
From the rotation:
rafinmd undergoing radiation
Mamaofami’s friend in hospice
Cruisin Terri Autoimmune problem
HAL Sailor DH health issues

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Hannukah through 12/6
5 BHB with passengers
1 day for Cruisin Terri (O Riveira)
2 days for Heartgrove Koningsdam and kb4863 Regal Princess to 12/9
Front Line Health Care Workers            
Quartzite Cruiser (Koningsdam to 12/12) , Lynanken and Lindaler (Rotterdam) at sea
Another week for Overhead Fred
Successful MOSE for Heartfrove DD
Welcome home Norseh2o
highland cruiser in Vallarta
Konibngsdan Staff Captain Sabine - officially onboard & introduced. - Our first female staff captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 29
  • Thanks 8

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile 🙂 

Good collection of days.  Fritters are fattening but yummy 😉 A big salute to Special Ed day.  I fondly remember my mother teaching and working with young children with challenges.  ♥️ And what can I say but hurrah for National Mutt Day

D5A78429-14D9-4C60-A19E-BE2E54A56A2A.jpeg.93a13d6adedcc7a3b6b2a3b384157bdc.jpeg

That quote is so true.  The meal suggestion sounds good.  Looking forward to Debbie’s recipe(s).

I’m not sure I agree with Graham that mixed breeds are smarter than purebred dogs.  It depends on the mix in the dog.  Unfortunately for me, the dog at the top of the smart scale is the poodle. Miko could open his exercise kennel at 5 months & cupboard doors 😱 None of my rescues (mutts) could do that, thank heavens. 😉 

We’ve been to Costa Rica but not today’s port - looking forward to hearing about it.

@bennybear I gave up on my chilies that I had moved inside the house & they have been put in the compost.  While they did flower, they didn’t fruit.  The Black Pearl did give me 2 minuscule chilies that did turn red.  The rest weren’t even worth picking.  I definitely won’t be buying that chili seed again 😡  

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Thursday everyone !!!!!!

262750B2-0903-4E96-8D9C-C21820231120.jpeg.b32a59b944132b31396bd5bbe6628ee8.jpeg

Stay safe & please don’t forget your 😷 

• Like 32
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  I love fritters, especially corn fritters, but haven't had any kind (savoury or sweet) in a very long time.  Bless the Special Education teachers for the wonderful work they do with children and adults.  Mutts need love, too.

Well I had my Covid booster yesterday afternoon and today it's like it never even happened.  No side effects, but then I didn't have any from the first two jabs, either, so I wasn't expecting any.  Yay!

We're expecting another day with freezing rain . . . oh great.  There were a number of crashes reported yesterday; I'm glad I didn't have to travel far for my jab.  Today I have to wrap and mail off our youngest grandson's birthday gift - he turns 2 on Dec 8.  I have to make sure to get it mailed today, or he won't get it in time.  Our postal service is sometimes so very slow, it's frustrating.  

I like today's menu suggestion, but with the shortage of maple syrup that's been reported, I'm not sure I could make it.   I guess one could always substitute honey with maple flavouring added.  For us, however, I have some frozen cooked roast beef that will be heated and served with garlic mashed potatoes and a crunchy coleslaw for dinner tonight.  And wine.  

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Clinking the glasses together to cheer on all on the happy list.  Stay well, wash your hands, wear your masks, and be safe.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 33

Good morning.  Still chilly in the morning, but hopefully will warm up to the mid 70's.  I love apple fritters from Tim Horton.  Special education is so important.  Our only dog was a mutt and was so wonderful.  Too early in the morning to think about the quote.  The meal sounds wonderful.  Not sure if we've been to today's destination.  Off to the Verizon store to get the front protector replaced on my phone.  Have dropped it many times and it's chipped and scratched.

Prayers and toasts to our lists.  Virtual hugs to all of us.

Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

Juan Collins:

1.5 oz of Tequila
1 oz of Lemon Juice
1 oz of agave nectar
club soda
lime wedge

Pour tequila, lime juice and nectar into a collins glass with ice cubes. Stir thoroughly. Top with club soda and garnish with lime wedge.

Screen Shot 2021-12-02 at 7.35.13 AM.png

• Like 22
  • Thanks 7

The gremlins got me again! Sigh. Thank you Rich, Roy & Dailyites.

Several Maddie sightings, but she remains elusive. Hope to hear good news today. 

Maddie

EEB786F6-CA2C-4EF6-882C-6C9E9D5C1BDC.jpeg.02d13b6c440dde205bfa98ceeade4511.jpeg

My favorite Mutt❤️
0FA6FE91-2FE7-4CCC-8F9B-2548D90D9BE2.jpeg.611e3d33438c3100c8c2fee11d6eaca7.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our our support. Thinking of you Roy, Jacqui and Terry. Cheers to all who are celebrating. Stay well everyone!

Cabernario No.8 Cabernet Sauvignon 2017

This cab has very good reviews from experts and consumers. Easy to find online with prices starting at $13.95. 

94 James Suckling 

4.40 Consumer Reviews: 23

About the Wine

James Suckling-Maipo Valley, Chile - "This is a solid young Cabernet with aromas and flavors of blackcurrants, sweet tobacco and dark chocolate. Full bodied, tight and focused...

• Like 25
  • Thanks 9

Good morning, everyone.

@smitty34877 I am thinking of you and Tana.

We had a bit of excitement here yesterday.  Tim came to clean the gutters.   When he was done he fell coming down the ladder.  He landed on the railing of the deck, breaking through the railing and pulling one of the gutters away from the house a bit.  I was worried about broken ribs and he had cut his finger pretty deeply and insisted he go to Urgent Care.   Ribs and arm are ok.  He did need 5 stitches in the finger.  

Today's meal comes on the heels of Thanksgiving, but might be a good one to save for Christmas.  The picture of this first one makes me want to go get a turkey breast and make it!   https://www.theseasonedmom.com/easy-maple-glazed-roasted-turkey-breast/

Easy-Maple-Glazed-Roasted-Turkey-Breast-5.thumb.jpg.cc9b70a846c9009a85feaef135846d09.jpg

A change up in the seasoning for this one:  https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/212482/maple-glazed-turkey-roast/

1112795553_mapleglazedturkeybreast.jpg.3b903d6e3415e7c1dbb70c76d1453ed2.jpg

And here's a healthy version:   https://healthyfitnessmeals.com/roasted-turkey-breast/

1102205025_mapleglazedturkeybreast2.thumb.jpg.798fb37d79a568b26edfa45a56dfd532.jpg

Enjoy and be careful!

• Like 24
  • Thanks 11

Today's sunrise is from my 2016 combination of transatlantics, Eastbound on QM2 and Westbound on Seabourn Odyssey.  There was a large gap between the transatlantics which I filled in with a med cruise on Queen Elizabeth.  December 2 was one of the final sea days between Lisbon and return to Southampton.

dawn1202.jpg

Roy

• Like 32
  • Thanks 3

Good Morning Everyone from a warm and sunny day at the beach

Special Education is so important and a very big salute to all the teachers who work with our special students.

We always had Mutts, some smarter than others but all loved.

Have been to Costa Rica but not todays port. Looking forward to pictures.

The rain held off for the funeral yesterday although DH said it was very cold. A very large turnout . DS comes home today but DH is staying until Saturday.

We were able to decorate the library tree yesterday. It looks beautiful. 

Taking DD for her booster shot this AM. 

The rocket launch was postponed until today. 

@StLouisCruisers Sandi-  Weather forecast is looking nice for this weekend. Remember to bring a hat, sunscreen and because you will be at Disney, your wallet. Have a wonderful time.

Stay safe and enjoy today

• Like 27
  • Haha 1

Good morning, Friends. Thank you for the Daily, the Lists and the Recipes.

Apple and corn fritters are nice treats. Mutts are so lovable. A salute to special education which does so much to help the people who need it.

I agree with @Mr. Bostonabout the quote. Love the meal. I would pick one of the first two to make, but have to say the third one would look gorgeous on a dinner table  Christmas Day.

DH started working on the deck yesterday and the first new plank has started to twist ever so slightly. He was able to work with it and get it to lay straight, but that has become the new top priority. After laying the first plank he started taking down the part of the deck we are not replacing and it is coming up in pieces. 😳 He said he doesn't feel like he will fall through, but also doesn't think it would be too much longer. So, the shower floor and curb will get finished so they can dry and set, but not sure the entire shower will be done. Flexibility is key during this project. Also, we are now leaving Monday instead of Tuesday so we can visit a cousin of DMIL's at a nursing home. You have to have an appointment and none were available Tuesday.

@smitty34877 praying for you and Tana.

🙏 and 🎉 for those on our lists.

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

Good morning  everyone. I am so grateful for the warm wishes and prayers here.Yesterday was difficult  but we got through it and will continue  to put one foot after another.Thank you Roy @rafinmd  for putting us on the list.We are all in need of strength right now.

And I also thank  @crusing-along, @dfish,

@Quartzsite Cruiser, @JazzyV, @kazu@bennybear@cruzn single@Seasick Sailor and @StLouisCruisers.I hope I didn't  miss anyone.

My dear son in law promises to assist me with multi quoting later and I hope to be able to do that without  difficulty.

I salute the days despite never having had a fritter.We have a total of 3 Special Ed teachers within the extended family.Fred the cockapoo thinks  every day is his day. The poodle part of him is very smart.He also opened his crate and kitchen cabinets when about 8 months old.

20211026_082037.jpg

• Like 33

@cat shepard oh dear, I had hoped Maddie would come home last night - let's hope she returns to you today!

@dfish that kind of excitement one can do without!  I'm glad there weren't any broken ribs - a railing can be fixed, ribs take much longer to heal.  

@cunnorlI'm glad your DD is getting her booster!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 25

Good Morning. Thanks for the Daily and the Care Lists.

A special shout out to all the dedicated people involved in Special Education.

Looks like its going to be a beautiful day here - sunny with temps approaching 80 F.

Stay safe everyone.

• Like 23

Top of the morning Rich. Thank you for our Daily. 

Goodness, lots of prayers this morning. Roy, Jacqui, Tana.. thinking of you.

Our precious mutt was a border collie and blue heeler mix. Mackenzie was smart as could be. When she was ready for dinner she'd bring me her dish. We swore she knew how to say "Out". She knew her inside toys were not allowed outside, so she'd have the toy just inside the doggie door and her body outside. 

Special education teachers are gems. My niece is one. 

I love turkey, but only the dark meat. Allen put his request in for creamed peas and corn bread tonight, so that's it for dinner. 

@dfish yikes on Tim's fall! 

Had a friend over for dinner last night. Her husband passed away from Covid in Dec last year and she's feeling sad. 

Have a good day. Prayers,  Cheers and Blessings. 

• Like 29

Good morning friends!  I'm going to miss being here tomorrow morning since we will be leaving early for that drive to Orlando.  But I will be checking in each day, just at odd times.  Whenever I have some free time.  Yep, @cunnorlCharlene, I'm betting the weather will be great this weekend so thanks for the reminder on the sunscreen.  I will add a hat to the packing list, and a wallet full of credit cards.  DS told us you have to purchase a "ticket" just to attend and view the games.  That is taken care of already though.  The weather will be great here at home this weekend, too, and across a large part of the east.  To all, I say enjoy it!  It was warm enough today to walk to the gym (46F), so we have that out of the way.  My arms and shoulders are achy so I took it easy on the weights today.  We will be skipping Saturday's workout so will be back at it next week.

Hurray for fritters day!  We like the apple fritters we used to buy at Sainsbury's in London.  A special salute to the mutts out there and the owners who love them.  Praise goes to the Special Education teachers who give their best to help students with special needs.  Today might be a little too soon for us to have the roasted turkey breast since we just had one last week, but it looks delicious.  Thanks for those recipes Debbie @dfish.  What a horrible accident your handyman Tim had!  I hope his finger heals quickly and his other aches, pains and injuries are minor.  Sorry about all the damage, too but I'm sure that can be taken care of easily enough.  

We haven't been to Quepos, Costa Rica but have enjoyed experiencing other Costa Rican ports.  Looking forward to any pictures that show up today.

Prayers for those on the Care list and cheers to those on the Celebration list.  Special thoughts and prayers for Tana and @smitty34877Terry, as well as Jacqui @kazuand Jose as you all go through trying times.  Hoping things start turning around for all of you!

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

I hope that Maddie can be found soon, and returned to the indoor world.  My black cat got on the desk and looked at the picture.  (we have 5 adopted strays who live indoors, and two ferals that have lived in our yard for 4 years)  (feral is the key word)

It's supposed to be in the low 70's today, and it would be a great day to go walk, but instead of the park, where my pass expired  two days ago, it will be the neighborhood, which is very hilly.  I must be stricter with myself and get out there.

I am not a fan of turkey, but all three pictures looked like something I would eat.  I shouldn't look at this thread before I eat breakfast.

Hurray for mutts, I had one for 15 years, and loved every moment with her, a terripoo.  Too many cats now for a puppy to ever feel safe.  So I walk the neighbors dog for her since she has gone back to work.

Found out last night that my BFF wont be visiting over Christmas.  We will see him in May in Florida, but it would be nice to have had him stay over the holiday.  DH always plans great "jobs" for the two of them to do around the house when he comes south.  So, we will have a quiet holiday season here. 

Enjoy your day!

• Like 28

Good Morning everyone! Thank you Rich for the Daily Report, and thank you Roy for the Cares and Celebrations Report. And thank you everyone for caring and sharing!

I hope to finish packing as we leave tomorrow for our cruise. COVID test first thing tomorrow at a local clinic. We need to change from our regional jet to one of the main line planes at ORD so I have been watching gate assignments for our two flights. Of course tomorrow will have them far apart! Hopefully everything falls into place.

The weather here has been great. Supposedly a high of 68 degrees today and 70-ish over the mountain in the Piedmont.

I just love all dogs and cats! My last mutt was a Dalmation/Shelty mix. She only barked at important things - like a leaf falling!  😁  But our Sam is really endearing himself with his affection!

Edited by Heartgrove
  • Like 28

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

Our late family Dalmatian Domino was not very bright but was a loving gorgeous dog.

Picture 019.jpg

Screenshot_20211202_123016.jpg

Beautiful dog 🙂 

I need to divert my mind for a bit so … in fun….The proper term in that science fair project quoted should be on average and not overall.  It really depends on what different breeds are in the “mutt” and what purebred breed they are comparing them to.  

It is referenced in this article with the following:

“What they’ve found is that mutts are *on average* smarter (also healthier on average)…. however, particular pure bred dogs have a very high potential intelligence (Australian Shepherd, for example), higher than the average mutt. In sum, mutts are generally smarter, but the very smartest dogs will tend to be pure bred.”

https://midogguide.com/diseases/are-purebred-dogs-more-intelligent.html

So, we are both correct 😉 My problem is I have one of the smart breeds  😉 😂 

• Like 22
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 5