The Daily for Thursday December 02, 2021

richwmn

5 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Aldara. I used it. It was part of a negotiation with the surgeon. I was there for a third BCC in essentially the same area. (I got a quickly growing lesion about a half an inch from the previous one, 3 years in a row. All MOHS had achieved borders…. It turned out the morphology was such that the lesions were totally separate, but “scattered”. So there was reason to expect more in the future.)

Anyway, Aldara was new, and reportedly 75% of people have success. It works at the gene level, and can cause BCC to become very red and dissolve. I insisted on MOHS, which she did, and she recommended Aldara to the area after the site healed, then a light treatment after that. I had lots of “activity” in the area treated. So far, some 8 years later, no BCC THERE, only some AKs. 

Interesting!  I should keep this info to discuss with them in Feb.  This is the second BC in that area over the last 4 or 5 years.

• Like 14

1 minute ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Oh sugar! Our neighbor is a redhead and she did the treatment. It was horrible.  She looked like a snake shedding it's skin!

Sandi, good idea for waiting for MOHS!

I appreciate everyone's experiences with the creams.  Thanks for letting me know.

• Like 13

2 minutes ago, summer slope said:

@USN59-79Happy Birthday,  @StLouisCruisersglad the results are back and it basal cell.  MOHs will do the trick.  Had that done on my hairline several years ago.  The one I'm waiting for in on my bicep.

Dixie, it took them almost the entire two weeks to call back.  You should be getting your results by the 14 day mark (or at least I hope so).  Good luck!

• Like 13

17 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

Sorry to hear this, Sandi. All of these different types are new to me, so thank you for sharing.  

A cream sounds too easy, and unreliable. Anyone else ever hear of this?

Usually creams are used for Solar Keratosis a pre-cancer.

The consultant who removed a BCC on Pauline 10 years ago said the creams are useless for BCC so Sandi @StLouisCruisersis doing the best thing by having surgery.

Graham.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, USN59-79 said:

It is a dry day finally here in the Pacific NW.  Today is a palindrome - 12/02/2021.  It is also my 82nd birthday.  Plan to do some work on my log house property and then barbecue a steak for tonight.

I am almost completely over the kidney stone thing.  Still have a few medications that were prescribed and have to have another CT scan next week to look closer at something the original scan found.  Guess when you are in your eighties you have to expect your body to be less than perfect.

Ray

Happy Birthday!

• Like 11

11 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

There are 2 creams for early basal cell skin cancer, Imiquimod and 5-FU (fluorouracil) . My friend that just had the MOHS has used them on his head before (He shaves his head anyway, so it could go on the scalp easily).

Your poor BFF has really been through the wringer!  So sorry to hear of everything he's had to experience with skin cancer.  Our friend, John, began his downfall with melanoma on his scalp.  So sad.

• Like 14

30 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

We had a gutter cleaning wand for years 2 homes ago. It was so easy to use. The thing looks like a shepherd hook and you can extend it for a 1 story or 2 story. You hook it up to your garden hose, turn the water on high and "let 'er rip" We would take turns. One would hose while the other piled leaves and pine cones into garden bags. 

Buy the high pressure nozzle one if you're doing a 2 story.

This sounds perfect!  Could you share the brand or a name so we know what to look for please?  Thank you.

• Like 9

4 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Usually creams are used for Solar Keratosis a pre-cancer.

The consultant who removed a BCC on Pauline 10 years ago said the creams are useless for BCC so Sandi @StLouisCruisersis doing the best thing by having surgery.

Graham.

Thanks for your input on the creams, Graham.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Happy Birthday @USN59-79, wishing you many more happy returns of the day!

@StLouisCruisersI'm glad you finally got your biopsy results, and it appears not to be serious, or you'd be in for surgery much sooner than February.

@Cruzin Terriwe stayed at the Marriott Biscayne Bay a number of years ago and really enjoyed our stay.  We liked the little take-out restaurant on the main floor between our hotel and the one next door (can't recall the name of it), but we picked up dinner for the evening and ate it on our balcony while watching boats and yachts of various sizes coming and going.  Enjoy your cruise!

@Quartzsite Cruiser isn't Puerto Vallarta the port where the Wal Mart is right beside the ship, or am I thinking of another port?  I'm sure it's a hit with the crew!  It's also a place where passengers can pick up crackers to have with the cheese plates.  LOL

Smooth Sailing!  🙂

Gerry

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

@USN59-79

101-Best-Happy-Birthday-Memes-12-720x720.jpg.6408535cdf970aaa6071b7b5f994c637.jpg

@StLouisCruisers  Sorry to hear of your diagnosis, but it sounds like they found it really early.  I'm glad they feel there is no need for immediate action.  

Thanks again to all who have wished Tim well.  I checked with him an hour ago and he said he is fine today, a little sore, but not too bad.  

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

Happy Birthday @USN59-79, wishing you many more happy returns of the day!

@StLouisCruisersI'm glad you finally got your biopsy results, and it appears not to be serious, or you'd be in for surgery much sooner than February.

@Cruzin Terriwe stayed at the Marriott Biscayne Bay a number of years ago and really enjoyed our stay.  We liked the little take-out restaurant on the main floor between our hotel and the one next door (can't recall the name of it), but we picked up dinner for the evening and ate it on our balcony while watching boats and yachts of various sizes coming and going.  Enjoy your cruise!

@Quartzsite Cruiser isn't Puerto Vallarta the port where the Wal Mart is right beside the ship, or am I thinking of another port?  I'm sure it's a hit with the crew!  It's also a place where passengers can pick up crackers to have with the cheese plates.  LOL

Smooth Sailing!  🙂

Gerry

Gerry, PV is the port you're thinking about.  I've been watching the crew coming and going all day.  Most are coming back with big shopping bags full of snacks, etc and one with rolls of Christmas wrapping paper.

Lenda

• Like 17

Good Afternoon All, thanks for the daily report.  Very busy week with work.  Telling customers that your out of the office for vacation sends all kinds of “urgent “ projects my way.  @dfish the recipes look good and I know I’d enjoy that first recipe.  Sorry to hear about the fall, hope he recovers quickly.  
I’m trying to stay positive about next week’s adventure but it is definitely a challenge with all the news.  
I hope that everyone has a nice evening.

• Like 22

24 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

Smooth Sailing!  🙂

Gerry

Thanks Gerry!  I'm sure this is very early, and February will be here before we know it!

13 minutes ago, dfish said:

@StLouisCruisers  Sorry to hear of your diagnosis, but it sounds like they found it really early.  I'm glad they feel there is no need for immediate action.  

Thank you Debbie!  

• Like 13

1 hour ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Oh sugar! Our neighbor is a redhead and she did the treatment. It was horrible.  She looked like a snake shedding it's skin!

Sandi, good idea for waiting for MOHS!

For the record, I’m a red head too. (Except now I have to perform monthly alchemy to stay that way.) I’ve had both topical treatments, (efudex and Aldara) and ended up being very itchy and having lots of raw areas towards the end of the treatments. For me, the efudex was worse.)

Edited by TiogaCruiser
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 5

1 hour ago, Crazy For Cats said:

Very busy week with work.  Telling customers that your out of the office for vacation sends all kinds of “urgent “ projects my way.  

Oh my,  Jake.  I certainly know what that is like. Brings back way too many memories.  I swear before I went on vacation in the old days, I nearly did the week’s worth of work 😉  Isn’t it funny how many things become “urgent” when people discover you are going to be away for a few days?  Sheesh 😒. Hang in there - sluff off what you can and have a great cruise.

• Like 15

2 hours ago, cat shepard said:

Sorry to hear this, Sandi. All of these different types are new to me, so thank you for sharing.  

A cream sounds too easy, and unreliable. Anyone else ever hear of this?

My DH has had melanoma, basal cell and squamous.  He likes the efudex,. Had a neighbor with side effects from Aldara.

2 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I started a multi-post but it bit the dust mid way.  So let's do this another way.

Thanks to all including@Himself, @JazzyV, @kazu, @smitty34877, @cruzn single, @AncientWanderer, @grapau27, @Quartzsite Cruiser, and @cat shepardfor your concerns and wishes.  This is my second MOHS as far as I can remember.  First was for melanoma on my back, second for a basal cell on the forehead again.  This spot seemed like a dry flake of skin, so be on the lookout for any new bump/pimple/rough spot.  As for President's Day, it was the first appointment and I'm looking on the bright side.  There could be fewer cars on the road that day and this is a very early appointment so we will be out during rush hour.  I'm just glad it's not on my eyeball now that I've heard that is a possibility from @AncientWanderer!  Mine seems minor so the wait until February isn't worrying me.  I feel safer with the surgery rather than a cream, too Ann.  And @cruzn singlegood luck at your upcoming appointment.  Hope that covered it all.  Thanks again friends!  And don't forget to see your dermatologist regularly!

2 hours ago, kazu said:

This sounds perfect!  Could you share the brand or a name so we know what to look for please?  Thank you.

Sorry I know you and Debbie asked, I’ve been out for awhile.  Here’s what we got at Home Depot 

4380DF62-258A-44B4-A651-A887F6543CCF.jpeg

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2