Live / Solo from the Carnival Legend - December 5-12, 2021

brilliantseas

7 minutes ago, cruisinteacheroh said:

Thank you for your AWESOME review. I'm going on the Glory next weekend out of New Orleans by myself. I've been on 26 cruises, but never alone. I was just wondering how it was traveling solo. I think I'll relax and enjoy having all of the space in my cabin to myself. lol.

This is my 15th cruise on Carnival, in addition to sailings on Norwegian, Royal Caribbean, and Disney, and is also my third solo cruise. The others were on Carnival Horizon and Norwegian Escape. 

One thing that I really enjoyed about the Horizon was that the dining room was actually set up with a bar inside the dining room, complete with around a dozen seats, which was a perfect alternative to dining at a table if it was your preference. I've heard they are temporarily not seating for dinner at the bar due to COVID-19 restrictions, but in normal times, it's a great option for solo cruisers to meet other people without being forced into a table-sharing scenario. 

I'm having just as much fun cruising solo as I do cruising with friends or a significant other. My S/O will be joining me on my next cruise in the spring and I am sure we will have a great time, but this has been an enjoyable and relaxing trip alone as well. 

I think the best part of cruising solo is being able to do what you want, when you want, and not having to make any sort of plan. Sure, you can plan out your activities for the day, but you can also be completely spontaneous. There is no need to discuss meal times or what the next activity should be because it is all up to you when you cruise solo. 

Speaking of cruising solo, I'm actually amazed at how many people seem to be doing just that on this cruise. I think the lower prices on cruises currently are making the single supplement more affordable and bringing more solo cruisers out right now. I've met several who all seem to be having a great time. 

Enjoy your upcoming cruise on the Glory and come back to CC to tell us all about your first solo cruising adventure. 

• Like 4

I collected a Carnival Legend Ship on a Stick to add to my collection during Carnival Trivia this morning. 

20211210_104407.thumb.jpg.241238625e4056639894732bab59e1d9.jpg

I was happy to have won, but was shocked when the host was telling us to "pretend it is 2019" when thinking of our answers, because the questions were written in 2019 and they have not been updated to take into account the addition of Mardi Gras to the fleet, or the scrapping of Carnival Fantasy, Carnival Imagination, Carnival Inspiration, or Carnival Fascination. Even more laughable was poor Marcela, who had to stop another crew member to ask the Captain's name because she couldn't remember it from training, and one of the questions is about the Captain's name!

Don't worry, Marcela, I didn't get that answer correct either. 

I guess I've kept up on my Carnival knowledge, because I won the round with a score of 13 out of 20. 

The Ship on a Stick also came with a generic Carnival funnel-shaped medal. In the event that you're playing as a team, each person gets a medal, but the team only gets one ship on a stick. 

• Like 1

I was disappointed in tonight's dinner. Service was quick for Your Time Dining (in and out in 30 minutes without dessert), but I just didn't care for most of the food tonight. The recipes for both the stuffed mushrooms and the grilled shrimp have changed for the worse. Only the crab cake seemed to be the same as I remember it from previous sailings. 

The meal also felt rushed, with both appetizers being presented at the same time (only time on the cruise this has happened), and the wait staff collecting table decor 20 minutes before the restaurant closed for the evening, including from my table while I was in the middle of the meal. Sigh, I should have asked for Henry and Henry or Almer and Joseph...

20211210_212049.thumb.jpg.945b7c5290ba987b7a1b8df5047db0a5.jpg

20211210_212100.thumb.jpg.4d5cef377d2677942a8e5d5633c6d5cd.jpg

20211210_212926.thumb.jpg.88ad48e4be7df0dd0bcedb1d6821dfd0.jpg

I passed on dessert again tonight, although the Grand Marnier Souffle sounded great. I just wasn't wanted the added sugar after having a few too many sugary cocktails earlier in the afternoon. 

• Like 1

Tonight's Playlist Productions show was Epic Rock, and I think it was my favorite theater show of the cruise. I caught the early show and noted that the theater was busier than last night, although still not close to capacity.

This show featured great music and much-improved costuming compared to last night's 70's-themed show. I actually went back and caught the last 20 minutes of the late show after finishing dinner. 

20211210_193034.thumb.jpg.569a3c4da19d22c2434ec0ea7e1bc982.jpg

20211210_193622.thumb.jpg.b318082ab2d8a8cb0b07083854deb3c4.jpg

20211210_193905.thumb.jpg.7bffe3a0d51a285b916dc07e16db7959.jpg

20211210_200600.thumb.jpg.3ba767694912487a3f5707f9c7df30bd.jpg

• Like 1

Cruise Director Leigh, for those of you wondering who he is. He isn't on social media, so don't try to track him down before the cruise. 

20211210_200712.thumb.jpg.a61b3c9f8628b8e43d5f4f1daaee4976.jpg

So far I've found him to be enjoyable and unobtrusive, with only limited announcements and plugs for upcoming activities. Aside from introducing the evening Playlist Productions shows and hosting one activity on the Lido Deck, I actually haven't seen or heard much from him this cruise. 

Edited by brilliantseas
  • Like 2

Also on tonight's agenda were the 8:30 adult's only Punchliner Comedy Club show with Sean Finnerty and the 10:30 adult's only show with JeROME.

Both are very funny, although Sean couldn't seem to keep track of which material he used in his last show as he kept alternating between new jokes, picking on members of the audience, and old material that he used in his last adults-only show. 

Fun fact: We have a passenger who went to jail for 13 DUIs (although he was only convicted of 7), and another who went to jail for unauthorized use of a helicopter onboard this cruise. It is amazing what people will share with a comedian on stage when given the chance...

20211210_202312.thumb.jpg.fd383d9f24bb7e52245cfae2eb627f4f.jpg

JeROME's show was all new material, and he was just as funny as he was during his first adults-only show earlier in the week. If he happens to be on your cruise, don't miss him. 

I finished out the night at the Red Frog Pub, listening to the last set by cover band Alter Idem. Both of the band's singers have amazing vocal talent and they play a wide variety of music. 

Tomorrow brings about our last day at sea before returning to Baltimore. The comedy club manager made a comment about tomorrow being a bit choppy, so we'll see how the weather and sea conditions behave on the trip north along the coast of the Carolinas. 

This little guy had an invitation waiting for me upon return to my room tonight. The Platinum and Diamond Gathering is being held tomorrow (Saturday / last sea day) at 4:30 in the Follies Theater, with complimentary cocktails being served for platinum and diamond level VIFP passengers. 

20211210_235858.thumb.jpg.da7ae9d8aa787e06a376ae93e217fc92.jpg

• Like 1

On 12/9/2021 at 11:41 AM, Georgeny said:

WE sail Legend for Christmas Dec 19th and appreciate all the insight. We sailed Oasis of The Seas out of Bayonne in October and it was great to be back to sea!

Seems you don't do room service breakfast but we usually enjoy slow start and have coffee and whatever in Cabin. If you have any information about how room service is operating would appreciate it!

Love the pictures!! We have traditional late seating, I presume they are doing that. On Oasis we had that then found out on boarding only Anytime. We were able to set up nightly reservation with waiter and assistant we liked. So glad Comedy Club operating and appreciate the heads up on it's popularity seating has almost always been a problem. Never figured out why they don't have more comedy in the main theatre! Was same problem before Covid. I mean how many singers and dancers can you take on one cruise no matter how good?

That rust could be annoying on balcony. We are in aft Vista with that huge wrap around. Pay $$ to enjoy that and would be real upset if rust problem there as well.

Best At Sea commentary I have scene GREAT JOB, again THANKS!

George in NY

I finally remembered to get a photo of the room service breakfast door hanger for you, but I'm still being challenged by CC's issue with rotating all of my portrait orientation photos to landscape. Hopefully you can rotate it in your browser for a closer look? 

20211210_171912.thumb.jpg.11f5607cedfd755bcb69945a20d8262f.jpg

7 hours ago, brilliantseas said:

I finally remembered to get a photo of the room service breakfast door hanger for you, but I'm still being challenged by CC's issue with rotating all of my portrait orientation photos to landscape. Hopefully you can rotate it in your browser for a closer look? 

And here I was just about to issue a complaint, NOT 🙂

Again many thanks for taking the time! No worries I can do necessary rotation etc easy enough. Loved that Freeport bathroom shot and comment, hysterical. You should mention that one to comedian, should be worth a couple of funny comments LOL.

George in NY