Cant get dinner reservations before 8pm yet only just opened for bookings !!

phillipahain

How is it possible that Viking is voted No 1 cruise line yet the very minute bookings opened at 7pm today for Feb 2022 Greek Odessey cruise  its impossible to reserve a table any night at all  until 8pm ....no way can i eat at 8pm 

Are they playing games with UK passengers ? 

Have bookings opened up earlier in USA ? 

Relax.  It isn't a conspiracy.  

If you are talking about specialty restaurant reservations and you have already made reservations for the MDR,  you have to delete the MDR reservation for the night you are looking at before you can see the full availability for the evening.  Go to CALENDAR to delete.  If that doesn't solve the problem, call Viking UK and ask for help. 

If you are talking about reservations for the MDR, don't worry about it.  They haven't been using them on board. Just show up when you are ready to eat.  

• Like 2

On our Nov cruise I know for us (party of 3) it had to do with table availabilty. Could be table size. Also if you are trying to invite a guest.

I was in a penthouse and had early booking and still had some issues. Called Viking and they booked for me.

Good luck, especially with Manfredis. We ate there 4 times and none at Chefs Table.  Love 💘 Manfredis, especially the Nutella Pannacotta they used to have.  Wish they would bring it back!

See Mich3554 above.  That is us too. Heck, I don't really know what I want tonight much less months away.  It is all a manufactured "race" or perk if you will.  Has nothing much to do with the onboard reservations experience.  Don't worry, you will certainly be able to eat before 8pm if that is what you want. I don't particularly like this either so generally ignore it and proceed once onboard.  In 248 days so far have never not gotten (nice double negative) what we wanted as to rez.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jim Avery said:

See Mich3554 above.  That is us too. Heck, I don't really know what I want tonight much less months away.  It is all a manufactured "race" or perk if you will.  Has nothing much to do with the onboard reservations experience.  Don't worry, you will certainly be able to eat before 8pm if that is what you want. I don't particularly like this either so generally ignore it and proceed once onboard.  In 248 days so far have never not gotten (nice double negative) what we wanted as to rez.

Same here Jim.

Never know in advance what, or what time we want to eat, so never made an online reservation before the cruise. Always book that day, using the cabin telly. Normally get within 1/2 hr of our preference.

Mind you, compared to you, we are still Viking rookies.🙂

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, phillipahain said:

Thanks for the info ...will call Viking ...unfortunately for both  allergy and deafness reasons need a table for 2 ...bigger tables simply dont work 

With so many restrictions, it will be easier to work things out with a person, not a computer. 

Then when you board, have the same nice chat about allergies and hearing issues with the maitre d' of the main dining room just to make sure that they have the correct information (in other words, don't play "Whispering down the lane"). This will give the maitre d' a chance to hear it first hand from you and to be able to ask you questions about your needs. Yes, it is repetitive but you are talking allergies, so you want to hear from them, the people who will be managing your issues, that they do indeed understand your issues.

• Like 1

On 12/5/2021 at 7:17 PM, phillipahain said:

Thanks for the info ...will call Viking ...unfortunately for both  allergy and deafness reasons need a table for 2 ...bigger tables simply dont work 

This usually gets discussed best with the kitchen staff once you get on board.  We were privy to such a conversation while we were on board last time, and allergies were taken seriously.  The waiter contacted the head person who got a chef out.  This person had a long laundry list of allergies and the chef later suggested that they try to keep to one restaurant and there wouldn’t be a problem.

If you reserve a table for 2, you are never taken to a larger table on the ocean trips.  In WC, you can choose where you want to sit and 2 tops are the most common.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, phillipahain said:

Apparently the date and time of releases to book tables is totally dependant on grade of cabin you book !!!! 

Wonderful not !    How are they voted No 1 cruiseline ? 

I'm very surprised that you weren't aware of that fact, as it is discussed extensively on many of the discussion threads and is included in the Viking FAQ.

https://www.vikingcruisescanada.com/oceans/frequently-asked-questions.html

The dates for dining & shore-ex reservations are included in both MVJ and your pax statement (invoice). Since we always make provisional bookings, before confirming by paying the deposit, we receive the invoice and review the dates and in port times before paying anything to Viking.

57 minutes ago, phillipahain said:

Invoice ...ha ha ha ....its taken them 4 months to produce that and it only arrived today after TA made a fuss 

And i had not trawled the forum before 

Obviously wish i had because then i simply would not have booked the cruise at all 

Did you not see the info about when bookings open in the descriptions of the rooms and their amenities?

By the way, the explorer suites have priority booking over all apart from the owners suite, but even then we can only make 2 bookings for each restaurant prior to the cruise. 

In practice people will change their bookings when on board, and walk ins are usually possible. There's allways the world cafe, pool grill and room service. 

We're in the don't bother to book camp, on the rare occasions we go to the restaurants we just turn up. 

Viking will do their best to accommodate your dietary and seating needs, there is a form to fill in, and they can be entered on MVJ. 

Once on board seek out the relevant restaurant manager (or Head waiter) and check they are aware of your requirements. 

The Hotel Manager is also a useful point of contact. He/she won't be easy to track down first day, they will be running about the ship dealing with things. 

When they are not in blue arse fly mode their office is in the corridor to the right of the main staircase, on the left just before the sparkly stuff in the display case. 

Since theres 3 categories below ours ...heaven help them getting a table at all 

All we got was info on the date we could book tables  there was nothing saying it was category dependant .

And yes they were made aware of allergy etc our TA makes sure of it 

I somehow suspect from comments above that each country receives different info 

Certainly wont be thinking of going to World Cafe , pool grill or Room service for Dinner .....

One thing is certain we wont be looking at Viking again 

Theres several other 6 star lines that do not cause the problems Viking has over recent months  nor do they allocate Dining Reservations on Cabin Category 

Edited by phillipahain
Info

50 minutes ago, phillipahain said:

All we got was info on the date we could book tables  there was nothing saying it was category dependant .

Certainly wont be thinking of going to World Cafe , pool grill or Room service for Dinner .....

Theres several other 6 star lines that do not cause the problems Viking has over recent months  nor do they allocate Dining Reservations on Cabin Category 

This is why there is a limit on how many bookings you can make prior to the cruise. Everybody gets their guaranteed bookings in the speciality rastaurants, hopefully at times that suit, then it opens up when on board. 

This is all on Viking's website with the cabin info. The main restaurant doesn't ordinarily take bookings, if they are needed it's a covid social distancing precaution. 

Sounds like your TA doesn't know the product they are selling, and you didn't do any research about what you are buying. 

If you dislike Viking so much probably best to cancel, to be honest if you think casual dining is beneath you, you probably won't fit in with the relaxed atmosphere, now you've got your knickers in a twist. 

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

Its not a question of casual dining being beneath us...to us a cruise is a nice meal in a nice restuarant but not at 8pm 

Casual dining is great for breakfast and lunch   .....

The biggest problem with Viking is their inability to communicate correctly and sort things out after a cruise cancelled and they rolled the booking over .

5 hours ago, phillipahain said:

Invoice ...ha ha ha ....its taken them 4 months to produce that and it only arrived today after TA made a fuss 

And i had not trawled the forum before 

Obviously wish i had because then i simply would not have booked the cruise at all 

Most unusual, as when chatting with them directly the invoice and additional documents are sent and received often before hanging up the phone.

My question is why it took your TA took 4-months to resolve not receiving an invoice, should have been resolved no later than the following day. Since the TA also gave you poor advice with the terms of the FCV, I would be changing TA's, as a competent TA should have prevented your issues.

Haven't trawled the forum before - sadly, it is much easier to complain on social media after the fact, rather than researching before booking and being an informed consumer. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, phillipahain said:

Its not a question of casual dining being beneath us...to us a cruise is a nice meal in a nice restuarant but not at 8pm 

Casual dining is great for breakfast and lunch   .....

The biggest problem with Viking is their inability to communicate correctly and sort things out after a cruise cancelled and they rolled the booking over .

The overwhelming consensus is getting the desired times for dinner will not be an issue. Cruising during a pandemic requires a great deal of patience. It admittedly is not for everyone especially those unaccustomed to surprises. There are hassles and unexpected changes. Despite this, the reports from cruisers is the product remains outstanding, which is remarkable.

• Like 8

10 hours ago, phillipahain said:

I was not aware Viking marketed itself as a six star line.  

• Like 2