Report from the Noordam - Maiden Voyage

RevNeal

We, too, are looking forward to all your reports from the Maiden Voyage of the Noordam as we have friends who will be sailing with you and are going B-2-B. They have already done 1300+ days on HAL and we feel they should have been chosen as the ambassadors in Boston. They are from this area and have sailed 74 or 75 cruises with HAL.

Have a great time...it is a lovely ship even though to us she is huge!

Liz

Welcome to New York, and Bon Voyage, Greg! We couldn't wait until our November cruise to see the ship, and we figured it would be crowded on the NY side, so we went to the river side in NJ to see the ship yesterday. We had a great view from the top of the cliff and the ferry terminal-both directly opposite the ship. It's rather blocky in appearance, but that means there are lots of great verandas. Give us a blow by blow report.

I've watched all of your reports with appreciation for your honest and fair reporting.

Because I love the Statendam and the Volendam so much, it's hard for me to even think about being on the large Vista class ships. You've sailed those ships also, so your opinion and frankness about life aboard them will be very helpful.

Have a wonderful cruise!

Pincus

Thank you all for the well wishes!

Will be looking over Greg's shoulder to make sure that he doesn't over-embellish the facts! :eek:

(or is it me who never let's the facts get in the way of a good story???)

Met CalmSeas, GenMax (& Mrs Peggy), StanandJim (Or is it JimandStan?) and of course RevNeal this am...

Jim has a Brother-in-Law (or is he a Cousin's husband? Seems like everyone is related here in NYC...) who was able to show us around the WTC site - bringing us in behind the fences into a secure area where there are mementos and memorials from those who were lost. It was so interesting hearing his story of that day and of the months that followed.

The funny thing is that as he, his wife and young daughter approached us - I knew immediately that he had something to do with our group - as he was wearing his DAM SHIPS cap! :D

Later as we posed for pictures, Greg tried to engage the little girl in conversation - but she ran from us! (Has she been reading Greg's posts too???)

Gen & Mrs Max had to leave us early to get to Noordam for lunch - and wondered aloud what they might be served. Of course, we all agreed: MEATLOAF!!!

This is a great group of friends whom I feel like I already know. Looking forward to more fun and frivolity this evening as we meet at The View on the Marriott Marquis for Bon Voyage Cocktails and Dinner.

We'll be sure to raise glasses to all our CC friends who cannot be here to join us. We truly wish you were here too!!!

Thank you all for the well wishes!

We'll be sure to raise glasses to all our CC friends who cannot be here to join us. We truly wish you were here too!!!

Thanks, Brian; looks like "reverse" toasts are in order from "our" side, too! Sounds like a great pre-cruise gathering! <trying to control the constant drooling....:eek: >

Looking forward to RevNeal's posts, and your typically fabu comments, as well!

Bon Voyage!

Paul ;)

Cast off the bowlines, Reverend Greg! I'm looking forward to your reports from the Noordam's maiden voyage, and am glad that it's you who's reveling in the moment. Someone dear once told me that, in his opinion, the only sin is to be bored. You have grasped the gift of life and are sharing it with us. Thank you.

Mrs Muir

Are we here yet?

Happy Day to you !

Today on our first American President General George Washingtons Birthday and the NY Noordam Day may all passengers crew and vistors bow there heads in reverence and silent prayer thanking for the Freedoms we have , the food on our tables and the roof above our sleeping heads.

God Bless America (\:D/) and YOUALL.

HI to TRICIA and DAN!!!

They are forbidden from getting an internet package so that they are forced to ignore work and enjoy their belated honeymoon but I'm sure that someone will pass on this message to them.

I hope that everyone boarding the ship today has a fabulous relaxing vacation. Man, there is nothing like a cruise.... Bon Voyage!!

We breathlessly await your first report. Hopefully, it won't be long now. You and all the other maiden voyagers should be on your way to the port as I write this. We do envy you.

We have to wait until 3/25/06 which seems like an eternity.

I just hope "the boys" don't get themselves in trouble during their limo advanture in Manhattan tonight! ;)

I was thinking the same thing!! Will Manhattan ever be the same after Rev Neal and Brian leave??;)

You both have a lot of people anxiously awaiting your wonderful posts.

Bon Voyage to you and fellow CC members!! :D

Greetings form the Atlantic.

The Noordam is a WONDERFUL ship!

Her interior is absolutely HAL ... perfect decor.

The food is fantastic

The service is top notch

Thus far there are no problems.

As Brian reported our Limo Adventure was quite meaningful. Not only did it afford a pleasant way to get around New York to see some important sights, it also was a great way to meet some of my dear CC friends. It was almost as if we had all known each other for years ... as, indeed, we have. :)

The pre-cruise dinner at the View was LOVELY. The view was fantastic, with the restaurant rotating once an hour had a great view of the Noordam, all lit up at her berth, at least 3 times. The food was excellent, but more important to company was wonderful.

Martha was so sweet to invite me to the Dedication Luncheon with her. It was such an honor and a joy to board around 10:30 AM, get to tour the ship a bit, settle her things in her "day room" -- I'll let her share THAT story herself -- and then go enjoy a lovely Lunch in the Main Dining Room.

There was no trouble getting into the show lounge. Martha, Jim and Stan, Brian, Scotty ... we all were up on the Balcony with GREAT views of the ceremony and of Sail as she and her husband poured perfectly good wine all of the ship's bell. :) It was great meeting them ... and, CONGRATULATIONS Sail! We CCers all felt very honored that one our was able to participate in the ceremony in this fashion.

Following the ceremony the Noordam set sail at 4:45 pm. The departure from the city was VERY nice, but also quite chilly. I went forward to catch photos of the departure and of the fire ships celebrating our departure with red, white, and blue water streams. :) Then, I joined a bunch of CCers in Martha's Port Side Penthouse Suite for her party, which we greatly enjoyed. We crossed the ship and crashed Captain Card's party so that we could get a good view of Lady Liberty as we passed her, then back over to Martha's for pre-dinner treats and much wine and champagne. We then had a bit of time to finish unpacking, the about 10 or 12 of us met in the Pinnacle Bar and Grill for a long LONG leisurely dinner, followed by drinks in the Crows nest around midnight. It was such a PLEASURABLE evening, indeed, and I"m looking forward to 9 more. :)

The ship was quite last night. The motion was almost non-existent, with the waters being quite smooth. During the night we picked up a little wave action and, today, we've got some light rain, fog, and a teeny-tiny bit of water action. It is not unpleasant today. Indeed, the rocking motion is quite soothing.

Thus far I've enjoyed seeing 6 crew members whom I know from other dam ships, and I think I've spotted, but haven't been able to say hello to, at least 4 others. If one didn't know that this was the Noordam's maiden cruise, one would think that this ship had been in service for years ... what,with the quality of the service from everybody aboard. This is a testament to HAL's service.

Still haven't seen Vic aboard. He avoided Martha's party and the Pinnacle Grill dinner last night. I trust I'll see him at the CC Get-to-gether at 11:15 am in the Crows Nest.

Later on I'll have a few pictures to post. I'll make a few selections, process them for posting ON this thread, and put them up for any and all to see.

May all my friends at home stay safe, and enjoy our reports from this wonderful ship. :) I truly do wish that ALL of you could be here!

Welcome to your first full day at sea aboard the grand and glorious new Noordam!!!

Greg, didn't see this thread until this morning, but I want to wish you and everyone an amazing time! Already getting some good info from Sail and can't wait to hear EVERYTHING!!!

I'm onboard for your journey!!!:)

You had a wonderful and "fun" first evening onboard. Your report is exciting to all of us especially those of us who are lucky to be booked on future sailings. :)

I am interested to find out about the dining times and what schedule the ship is going with.

Thanks, again, and continue to have a grand time.

Archived