ship excursion from Akureyri to Siglufjorur ?

CCJack

We are booked on a Celebrity Cruise to Iceland in June 2022.  Just starting to look at excursions.   I noticed two excursions that go to Siflufjorur from the Akureyri port stop.   They are really expense ($500 for a 6 hour excursion).   Has anyone done this, is it worth it?   Why the steep price?.   I would imagine this is a bus ride although the description of the excursion doesn't really say much.   Thank you.

Do you mean this Celebrity excursion to Siglufjordur Village?

https://www.celebritycruises.com/pcp-excursions/akureyri-iceland-tours/siglufjordur-village-and-the-herring-hey-days?excursionItemID=100000003375687898&cid=ps_mest_goog_rtlgnr_1702_hp_alge_us_6206&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIgeTut9Lw9AIVBe21Ch3o3wfZEAAYASAAEgLPGfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I haven't done that tour nor been to Siglufjordur, but it sounds a little made up to me.   (Also, I've found that taking a ship's tour that involves a meal usually has a lot of wasted time.)  Perhaps someone who has done this can give you some advice about the actual tour. 

Have you been to Iceland by cruise ship before?   There's really no reason to take a ship's excursion -- there are a number of reputable private tour companies.   From Akureyri, one of the extremely popular shore excursions usually is called by some version of the Lake Myvatn Tour and will take you to some incredibly beautiful places outside of Akureyri.    It was one of our favorite days in Iceland.

Yes, that is the excursion, then there is another one very similar but small group for about $500.   Never been to Iceland but we are fine taking independent excursions if we can find them.    I am just starting to shop.   Thanks for the tips.     

8 hours ago, CCJack said:

We are booked on a Celebrity Cruise to Iceland in June 2022.  Just starting to look at excursions.   I noticed two excursions that go to Siflufjorur from the Akureyri port stop.   They are really expense ($500 for a 6 hour excursion).   Has anyone done this, is it worth it?   Why the steep price?.   I would imagine this is a bus ride although the description of the excursion doesn't really say much.   Thank you.

Which cruise are you on? I am on June 26 and also looking for excursions at Akureyri.  I have signed up for the Golden Circle & thermal bakery with Celebrity in Reyjkavik, but looking at a couple of options through Tours by Locals in Akureyri

12 hours ago, Cruisernewbie44 said:

Which cruise are you on? I am on June 26 and also looking for excursions at Akureyri.  I have signed up for the Golden Circle & thermal bakery with Celebrity in Reyjkavik, but looking at a couple of options through Tours by Locals in Akureyri

We are on the June 7 sailing.   In Akureyri on June 10 and 11.    I was looking into Saga tours but will also look into tours by locals.

Saga is great.  Or better, I'd suggest renting a car and touring the Lake Myvatn area (baths, volcano, lake) or the "Diamond Circle" area of northern Iceland.

Driving in Iceland is easy.  Very few roads, very well signed, most roads are in good shape and you can easily tell the bad ones in advance on a map

Edited by Nitemare