Will you cruise in 2022 or wait?

Bake apple

We enjoy river cruising very much and before the pandemic had cruised three years in a row with two more booked and then sadly cancelled. Although we are anxious to get back on the rivers we probably won't until 2023. We have weighed the risks against the rise in cases and the protocols in place and decided to wait until Spring 2023.  I so hope things settle down and we are proven so very wrong to wait but are getting a little weary of saying "what to do what to do?".  What are your plans?

• Like 2

We also had hopes of cruising again, in fact had one booked for May of this year.  Fortunately, Avalon allowed us to transfer it to 2022 with no penalties, but this August, looking at the rising cases, we changed to to 2023.  I am really hoping that by next spring, things may be more settled down.  We may have a high number of cases here, but the hospital #'s are low, so just maybe this vaccine is helping.  

I am guessing that health measures may be still in effect by 2023, but my main concern is being able to enjoy my cruise with no worries about paperwork or having excursions we really are looking forward to being cancelled.  I also don't want to add to another countries overburdened health care system if I or my spouse comes down with Covid.  

• Like 2

My bike and barge of the Moselle was originally planned for May 2020. It was moved too September 2021, adjusted a few times and then cancelled. We are now booked for September 2022. If omicron is not an issue, I expect that we will go. Right now, the chances of testing positive outside of Canada and not being able to fly home is an issue.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

My bike and barge of the Moselle was originally planned for May 2020. It was moved too September 2021, adjusted a few times and then cancelled. We are now booked for September 2022. If omicron is not an issue, I expect that we will go. Right now, the chances of testing positive outside of Canada and not being able to fly home is an issue.

We have been taking a look at the barge and bike trips on the Moselle!  Have a real interest and we may look a little more into that.  Notamermaid often writes about the beauty of the Moselle and I believe it is a worthy candidate for our next trip. We are anxious to get over to Europe again and miss not only the travelling there but the anticipation and research.  Hopefully you will get to do this trip and we would look forward to any reports you offer.  Happy Holidays.

52 minutes ago, Gourmet Gal said:

Have 3 cruises booked and will go if the the ships go!  

Wow,  three cruises is awesome and we do hope it works out and you can enjoy cruising again. Fingers crossed for us all.

Happy Holidays.

• Like 1

We have 9 cruises booked over the next 25 months – including Tulip Time in April 2022 – and are not even considering cancelling any.  We just got our Moderna boosters today, and if they offer re-boosters in six months we'll happily get them.  Our bodies are getting closer to their 'sell by' date, so we don't want to give up any months of mobility!

• Like 8

I have cruised 4 times since July (all ocean cruises).......even with protocols in place, I LOVE being on a ship😃.  I have 4 cruises booked for 2022 and one of them is a River Cruise. I plan on going on all 4 sailings👍

• Like 3

We’re Canadian as well and opted to book a Caribbean cruise for the end of October 2022 and wait til 2023 to do our European river cruise.

We figure it’ll be easier to rearrange/cancel our travel plans closer to home vs Europe if needed. 🤞 that we don’t need to change anything though!

Earlier this month, I converted river cruise credits from 2020 into ressies for a 2023 river cruise. I considered a 2022 cruise, but decided I’d rather play the upcoming year by ear, and schedule a number of long weekend (non-cruise) trips on short notice, leaving the bigger EuroRiverCruises to 2023.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bodl said:

Earlier this month, I converted river cruise credits from 2020 into ressies for a 2023 river cruise. I considered a 2022 cruise, but decided I’d rather play the upcoming year by ear, and schedule a number of long weekend (non-cruise) trips on short notice, leaving the bigger EuroRiverCruises to 2023.

We are also hanging on to credits and will use those in 2023 in Europe if all goes well. I  recently learned that if you look over previous vacation photos it will impact our brains and cheer us up!!  Not so sure of that as I looked at the Sacher Torte on the table in downtown Vienna. My husband said the same thing about this enormous glass of beer and a port hock he had in Prague. I need to stop taking photos of food!! LOL.  Can't wait to cruise again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pbeach said:

We're doing 2 US land tours with Tauck in 2022 then the 45 night Amawaterways cruise in 2023.

45 days!  I am green with envy, I must check out the AmaWaterways routes. That sounds like the trip of a lifetime. 🙂 

• Like 1

In my humble opinion, what we all have to do is to adjust our expectations and be realistic about what is reasonable and wise.  We can be “determined” to take X number of cruises in 2022/2023, etc., but the reality is that the outbreak is going to unfold the way it wants to, and we are utterly unable to predict how it will unfold in the future.  This uncertainty also includes the certainty that this virus will continue to mutate every time it infects another cell, and some of the mutants will be infectious and morbid enough to take up more letters of the Greek alphabet.  The Omicron variant is the threat now, but the fact that we already had Delta and Omicron in 2021 make it somewhat likely that the next one is going to appears sometime, sooner or later.

We had one cruise initially booked in April 2022, but we cancelled that one and scheduled another on in August of 2022.  But we are going to use our best judgement to decide what to do with that reservation based on that the outbreak decides to do.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Canal archive said:

Well we cannot go anywhere at the moment but never mind. We'll sort something for next year.

I had just read about that. So sorry. Our dear friends in Wales are hoping their brand new grand daughter can make a visit from London.  I think they may have travelled there last week to ensure a special visit.  Our government has announced a travel advisory against international travel so we are in the same "boat".

I am on a cruise ship right now. There are only 450 of us and I feel relatively safe but omicron is definitely on my mind. It is sure nice to have such few passengers on this sailing. I realize this will probably never happen again in my life.

I am not going to plan anything for 2022 in advance. I may do something last minute but just going on this trip, testing was complicated as I had to test on a weekend. I will probably look more at domestic trips instead.

9 hours ago, Coral said:

I am on a cruise ship right now. There are only 450 of us and I feel relatively safe but omicron is definitely on my mind. It is sure nice to have such few passengers on this sailing. I realize this will probably never happen again in my life.

I am not going to plan anything for 2022 in advance. I may do something last minute but just going on this trip, testing was complicated as I had to test on a weekend. I will probably look more at domestic trips instead.

Hope you have a wonderful cruise! I totally agree, the small amount of guests is awesome😃.......may I ask what line you are sailing?

I have taken 4 cruises since July and loved them all👍..........next cruise up is the beginning of April.😃

6 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Hope you have a wonderful cruise! I totally agree, the small amount of guests is awesome😃.......may I ask what line you are sailing?

I have taken 4 cruises since July and loved them all👍..........next cruise up is the beginning of April.😃

I am on the Grand Princess. I think the reason the numbers are low was that this ship was supposed to go to Hawaii and in September, they had to cancel the cruise. I think most booked switched their trip to January when Hawaii supposedly opens up. The price of this trip was a steal for a 10 night cruise and there are only about 450 of us on the ship. It is like having a private cruise ship. It is a 10 night to Mexican Riviera with ports of SFO, San Diego, Cabo and Ensenada. I booked this cruise 16 days out.

1 minute ago, Coral said:

I am on the Grand Princess. I think the reason the numbers are low was that this ship was supposed to go to Hawaii and in September, they had to cancel the cruise. I think most booked switched their trip to January when Hawaii supposedly opens up. The price of this trip was a steal for a 10 night cruise and there are only about 450 of us on the ship. It is like having a private cruise ship. It is a 10 night to Mexican Riviera with ports of SFO, San Diego, Cabo and Ensenada. I booked this cruise 16 days out.

Oh wow....you only booked 2 weeks ahead! Good for you😃...and even better you got a great price too!

Most lines are not sailing at capacity...........who knows how long it will be before that happens.

1 minute ago, Lois R said:

Oh wow....you only booked 2 weeks ahead! Good for you😃...and even better you got a great price too!

Most lines are not sailing at capacity...........who knows how long it will be before that happens.

The week before this sailing and the week after has somewhere between 1000-1500 passengers. Definitely a difference between that and 450 passengers. I am reading other Princess ships are at 50-60%. Considering this ship was built for 2600 at double capacity (more with 3rd berths - we are around 15%.

5 minutes ago, Lois R said:

I booked it 16 days out. I had the time off from work and booked it solely because it was longer than 7 nights, was over my time off and was over Christmas.

Just now, Coral said:

I booked it 16 days out. I had the time off from work and booked it solely because it was longer than 7 nights, was over my time off and was over Christmas.

That is great!  I said 2 weeks......it was 2 weeks and 2 days......14 days would have been 2 weeks. I was just rounding it up🙂  i just got back from a 15 night sailing to the Caribbean.......one of the most relaxing cruises I have taken👍

• Like 1