Solo cruise to Alaska, or wait for romantic partner (I'm currently single)?

Webb Pierce

The OP pretty well sums up my feelings. I was a teen last time I was on a cruise to Alaska. I have wanted to go back to cruises (any destination) and to Alaska. In fact there was a time when I had that discussion with a special someone. But sometimes things happen in life. I just booked a solo Alaska cruise for August on the Nieuw Amsterdam. Because why wait. I'm not even 40 yet, some might say solo cruising is an odd choice at my age, especially on HAL. Frankly, I don't care. It's an adventure, and even if I choose not to do it again I have no doubts I will have a great time. And the decision to cruise HAL as my first cruise on my own, is a nod to my Grandmother who introduced me to cruising and swore that HAL was the only way to do it. 

• Like 1

Wow this is a great discussions... 

It's funny, but we're on the same boat @Webb Pierce... hehehe... Never cruise on my own and was kinda worry or nervous about!

But I think the pandemic is teaching us a lesson and we need to enjoy life as much as we can (if we can for sure). True, we want to wait for a friend or lover... but they might not be into the same thing. 

After watching videos, reading a lot on cruising solo, I think I'll be doing it very soon too. (Thinking about the April 30 sailing out of Vancouver).

@DarrylR85, your comments about HAL and age made me smile too... Because HAL will probably be my choice (and I'll be solo in my 40's on HAL). Cruised with them before with friends and love it! 

Anyway time for me to start planning and booking last-minute 🙂

Thanks everyone in this treads, very inspiring for sure 🙂

I'm late to the discussion and it's another vote to go.  There's a point in life where if you don't go, you may have troubles travelling as one gets older.

My only tip is in addition to Princess, also check their sister cruise line Holland America.  There's savings often on HAL as you are not paying for outdoor theatres and waterslides.  HAL has more frequent sailings than Princess to Glacier Bay.  I'm a frequent HAL solo cruiser and their new ship (Koningsdam) has a dozen solo cabins for single travelers.

NCL is another cruise line that offers solo cabins and solo programs for single travelers.  For 2022, NCL Encore is the ship that has Glacier Bay sailings.

On 12/27/2021 at 5:31 PM, Webb Pierce said:

Wow, it's unanimous! Thanks everyone for the perspective experience. I'm glad to hear that solo can be so satisfying, and there really is no point in waiting. Princess has low single supplements on some cruises right now, so I'll get myself a balcony and see what all the fuss is about. I'm really looking forward to it now. 

I'm so happy you decided to go, life is way too short to wait for someone! I've not cruised to Alaska but lived in Anchorage Alaska 20 plus years. It's breathtakingly beautiful!!! Take lots of pictures and have fun! 

I will actually take my first solo cruise At the end of May on Azamara Pursuit  and I can not wait. 

• Like 1

On 2/17/2022 at 9:47 AM, donnab52 said:

I just booked a solo cruise for myself.  I've never been on a cruise and I haven't traveled solo for at least 30 years--I am looking forward to it! 🙂

Me too! I’m married and going on my first solo TA in July. Can’t wait. Scary in a way but I say never, ever wait for circumstances to change. Happy cruising 🛳

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I just did a solo to Alaska on HAL (Zuiderdam out of Vancouver on 27 April), and it was FABULOUS. My partner is Not Interested In Cruising (tm), so if I'm going to go, I'm going on my own. 

@NYCatlady, enjoy your solo TA! I've done 2 solo TAs (on Cunard QM2), and adored both of them, and am booked for a third in November (although it's actually my fifth booked.)  

DH doesn't care much for cruising so I often cruise solo - or with other solo cruisers I met on previous cruises.  Life is uncertain - if you want to do something, go ahead and do it now.

Good on you for booking solo.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Totally agree. Haven't sailed for 20 years. Went last month solo to Alaska on 5-day NCL Sun, got a port side balcony. Amazing. Enjoyed it that much, booked while on board going again in Oct on 7-day NCL Encore. Used the $500 next cruise credit and also got extra $100 credit, plus extra 10% off. As a guide, got the 5-day balcony cabin for $900 and the 7-day got a balcony suite for $1097 after credits.

I would say go for it . I just got off of the Navigator of the seas solo. Dont wait until you find your person to travel with . I have similar feelings. I sat a table with group in the MDR . The last two night I met some single lady's and men . I am veteran I met some veterans too at the Jazz club. So fun to talk to people . Who knows  you might meet the love of your life . 

I am a shy introverted soul so its really hard for me to meet people . But I made a effort . Alaska is beautiful . You only live once ( COVID taught me that ) . One thing I never hear people say is how safe you feel as as a solo on a cruise. I was able to stay out late and walk back to my cabin. I felt safer than say going somewhere and having to walk back to my room on dark street in a place I have never been. I am not saying crime doesnt happen but it just felt more comfortable. 

I actually love to get up early and run on the track or go to the gym when no one is there . It peaceful and much safer than some towns I have been to. 

I hope you decide to go . You can always go again if you meet your person. 

5 minutes ago, cruisenurse2 said:

I would say go for it . I just got off of the Navigator of the seas solo. Dont wait until you find your person to travel with . I have similar feelings. I sat a table with group in the MDR . The last two night I met some single lady's and men . I am veteran I met some veterans too at the Jazz club. So fun to talk to people . Who knows  you might meet the love of your life . 

I am a shy introverted soul so its really hard for me to meet people . But I made a effort . Alaska is beautiful . You only live once ( COVID taught me that ) . One thing I never hear people say is how safe you feel as as a solo on a cruise. I was able to stay out late and walk back to my cabin. I felt safer than say going somewhere and having to walk back to my room on dark street in a place I have never been. I am not saying crime doesnt happen but it just felt more comfortable. 

I actually love to get up early and run on the track or go to the gym when no one is there . It peaceful and much safer than some towns I have been to. 

I hope you decide to go . You can always go again if you meet your person. 

Thank you for your service. 

• 6 months later...

I'm looking at doing a solo Alaska cruise in late May/early June too. Choosing between Princess, Celebrity, and possibly Royal Caribbean. While Norwegian seems to do the most to cater to solo travelers, I've heard good things about solo traveling on Celebrity too. More importantly, Norwegian's Alaska itineraries seem quite lacking compared to Princess or even Celebrity.

I'm going solo to Alaska with NCL in October, I've been solo on every cruise I've done. One of my friends is keen to do Alaska too so she may come along and celebrate a roundy birthday on the ship. Her father wanted to do Alaska too but her mother just isn't into travelling and he has Parkinson's. As she describes his mobility these days, he can run no problem he just can't walk and she doesn't think he'd be able for the long haul flights from Ireland.

On 1/17/2023 at 10:28 AM, eileeshb said:

I'm going solo to Alaska with NCL in October, I've been solo on every cruise I've done. One of my friends is keen to do Alaska too so she may come along and celebrate a roundy birthday on the ship. Her father wanted to do Alaska too but her mother just isn't into travelling and he has Parkinson's. As she describes his mobility these days, he can run no problem he just can't walk and she doesn't think he'd be able for the long haul flights from Ireland.

Have fun! But won't a lot of things for tourists in Alaska be closed for the season by October? And won't the weather be bad?

16 minutes ago, jbinpa said:

Have fun! But won't a lot of things for tourists in Alaska be closed for the season by October? And won't the weather be bad?

possibly and probably. But work means no holidays at any other date that works for Alaska. Plus I'm Irish and live on the west coast of Ireland in a surf town so the weather isn't a factor. 

• 3 months later...

Hi 👋 I’m Michael solo again (in divorce process) going solo back to Alaska in August on Majestic Princess 🚢. Different being single on a cruise compared to a couple together. You have no one to share your experience or memories with that your in a relationship with:( . Alaska is my place to regroup myself after a divorce and get a fresh start once again🙏. I ve cruised solo several times and always had a great time meeting new people!! Live life today for yourself first and if romance 🥰 finds you while on a cruise 🚢 then enjoy the moment for it could turn into a lifetime of love ❤️ 

• 2 weeks later...

Webb Pierce, I know I'm late to the party and I hope you had a great cruise.  I did my very first ever cruise solo to Alaska in 2015.  Land/cruise tour.  Had a blast and made some great friends I'm still in touch with today.   Hope you had a wonderful time on your trip! Never be afraid to travel alone!  BTW, I'm from West Monroe, Louisiana where the singer Webb Pierce grew up about three miles from where I did.    Happy Sailing!

• 2 weeks later...

I had always cruised with someone, and wanted to go on a cruise, but could not find anyone to go with me.  It was a two week Southern Caribbean cruise, and it ended up being the best cruise I had ever been on up to that point. I met a Canadian couple and we spent all our time together.  We became great friends, and I ended up visiting them four times and going on trips with them.  The first was a cruise to Alaska, the second was an extended road trip of the Western National parks, and the third  a trip to Vancouver Island, and then to Banff, Jasper and Lake Louise, and then a road trip from Vancouver down to Southern California and back.  We also met up in a Spanish port one day when we were both on different TA cruises.  Since then, I have also gone on extensive land trips by myself including my most recent- two months to Africa-one in Egypt and one in Morocco.  Every trip has been AMAZING! I've never felt alone, I always meet people, and something super cool happens every trip!  So everyone should go!!  Don't WAIT!  If I waited, I would not have gone anywhere as I haven't had a significant other since 2009.  DON'T WAIT-LIFE IS TOO SHORT!  I am 66, and I learned to scuba dive two years ago.  I now have 102 dives, and am an advanced open water diver.  None of this would have happened had I not gone on the first cruise alone!!!

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

I just got back from a solo trip to Alaska.  While going with someone else is nice, if you can't find someone else go by yourself. Alaska is great, I wish I would have gone sooner. Don't let the lack of a traveling companion stop you from having a great time.  Just take along a good positive attitude and you'll enjoy yourself.

• Like 1

If the last few years taught us anything is life is short.  TAKE THE CRUISE!  Step out of your comfort zone while you still can.  Eat in the MDR on formal night…have 2 desserts if you want….go to all the shows or none of them….that’s the best part of solo cruising, YOU decide how to spend your time.  It’s the most liberating thing you will do. 🥂

• Like 4