Azamara P1 Aft Cabins and Petra (split thread)

TeaBag

20 hours ago, TeaBag said:

You must really like the Athens to Dubai itinerary since you have sailed it twice with another one booked.

Actually we’ve sailed it three times (one was actually Athens to Mumbai) plus another one booked. The first time we did it, we couldn’t see the main sights -Petra & Luxor - because my DH had just had a knee replacement, the second time we couldn’t either because I had just had the same operation, so we did it a third time and went to Luxor & Petra. We’re doing it a 4th time because we love it - lots of relaxing sea days, guaranteed sun and calm seas, lovely places to see.

Edited by Grandma Cruising
  • Like 6

On 12/31/2021 at 2:19 PM, Grandma Cruising said:

Actually we’ve sailed it three times (one was actually Athens to Mumbai) plus another one booked. The first time we did it, we couldn’t see the main sights -Petra & Luxor - because my DH had just had a knee replacement, the second time we couldn’t either because I had just had the same operation, so we did it a third time and went to Luxor & Petra. We’re doing it a 4th time because we love it - lots of relaxing sea days, guaranteed sun and calm seas, lovely places to see.

It’s on our bucket list. Maybe 2023

On 12/31/2021 at 1:19 PM, Grandma Cruising said:

Don't forget your wonderful traveling companions on the 4th one!😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

When I saw that I had started a thread,  I thought i must have been sleep posting!  Then I saw the "split thread" and realized a host must have done this.

We are on the May 5, 2023 Quest sailing.  It's not a very active roll call but then, it's a fair ways away.

27 minutes ago, excitedofharpenden said:

I've had an aft cabin on a couple Suez cruises. It's a great view😎. And Petra is amazing. Hope you get there. I did an overnight tour staying at the Mövenpick hotel and watching the Petra night show before venturing out there in daylight. Stunning tour.

Phil – I'm normally afraid of forward cabins because of rough seas and anchor noise, but for a Canal passage I wonder if the forward view would be worth the risk?  Or did you find the aft view good enough, along with all the other benefits of that location?

58 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Phil – I'm normally afraid of forward cabins because of rough seas and anchor noise, but for a Canal passage I wonder if the forward view would be worth the risk?  Or did you find the aft view good enough, along with all the other benefits of that location?

We had a Club Ocean suite for a Panama Canal transit and it was wonderful for watching the Canal operation.

• Thanks 1

If it’s the Panama Canal, 100% worth being forward, you can even have chats with the linesmen/mule operators. Worth any anchor noise on other days.  If it’s the Suez, it’s not a “real canal” has no locks so aft is better.  Forward you will just be viewing the ships in front a lot of the time. Somehow they’re much less “intrusive” aft - maybe a trick of perspective 

9 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

The aft view is great, but I'd be happy with a forward view too. Especially on that cruise where you'd get more breeze relief from the heat at the front. The balcony in an OS would be smaller, but perfectly adequate. And it shouldn't be a cruise with seas to cause discomfort all the way forward. 

Phil 

We are booked on the Athens to Dubai October 29, 2022 cruise and have the Ocean Suite forward.   We are so looking forward to seeing all the wonderful sites on this cruise including Petra and Luxor.   This is our second attempt at this itinerary with Azamara having cancelled in March 2020 because of Covid.  Hoping the forward suite will have smooth sailing on the Red Sea.  The breeze may actually be good considering the warm weather expected for this cruise.

5 hours ago, seaventuregal said:

We are booked on the Athens to Dubai October 29, 2022 cruise and have the Ocean Suite forward.   We are so looking forward to seeing all the wonderful sites on this cruise including Petra and Luxor.   This is our second attempt at this itinerary with Azamara having cancelled in March 2020 because of Covid.  Hoping the forward suite will have smooth sailing on the Red Sea.  The breeze may actually be good considering the warm weather expected for this cruise.

When you go to Luxor and if it isn't already in your plans you must go to see the Valley of the Kings and the Temples of Karnak. I thought the latter was more impressive and photogenic. They tell you that you can't use a camera in the Valley of the Kings, but we saw plenty, but without flash on. 

Phil 

• Like 2

Thank you for this suggestion.  We have an overnight, so we should have time to see both these places as well.

I always thought flashes were prohibited because they made the colours less vivid over time.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Grandma Cruising said:

In the Valley of the Kings you can buy a pass to let you use a camera. If not, you have to be careful. There are guards at all the tombs & they will ask you to put your phone away if they see you.

Denise, this is what was a bit annoying. We were specifically told on the bus no photography so leave cameras and phones behind. When we got inside, the world and his wife were taking photos. No enforcement. Oh well. I got some great shots at the Temples of Karnak. 

Phil 

B22825FB-1BA3-46A3-98DA-F53A920CCEB2.jpeg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, excitedofharpenden said:

Denise, this is what was a bit annoying. We were specifically told on the bus no photography so leave cameras and phones behind. When we got inside, the world and his wife were taking photos. No enforcement. Oh well. I got some great shots at the Temples of Karnak. 

Phil 

There were a few points of annoyance as far as our overnight went, including the "no photos" one you mentioned Phil.

But it was an experience not to be missed regardless.

Trish

• Like 1

12 hours ago, excitedofharpenden said:

Phil 

Interesting Phil. We did the Luxor & Valley of the Kings tour with Your Egypt Tours rather than Azamara. Our guide told us that we could buy a camera pass if we wanted to take photos with a ‘proper’ camera and that we would have to leave such cameras behind if we didn’t, but no mention was made of leaving phones behind. No-one in our group bought the pass. We paid extra (1000 Egyptian pounds I think) to see King SETI’s tomb (which was well worth it).

7FB1C1B7-36F7-475D-B341-4AD0CC4AA12B.thumb.jpeg.13c0ebe35ca1f2f9e194066eaa2e99b5.jpeg

7279EFD3-29FA-44E4-AE64-5E5BF32F5402.thumb.jpeg.374ba435f0e827fdf81a34ba90ca135c.jpeg

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Grandma Cruising said:

Interesting Phil. We did the Luxor & Valley of the Kings tour with Your Egypt Tours rather than Azamara. Our guide told us that we could buy a camera pass if we wanted to take photos with a ‘proper’ camera and that we would have to leave such cameras behind if we didn’t, but no mention was made of leaving phones behind. No-one in our group bought the pass. We paid extra (1000 Egyptian pounds I think) to see King SETI’s tomb (which was well worth it).

7FB1C1B7-36F7-475D-B341-4AD0CC4AA12B.thumb.jpeg.13c0ebe35ca1f2f9e194066eaa2e99b5.jpeg

7279EFD3-29FA-44E4-AE64-5E5BF32F5402.thumb.jpeg.374ba435f0e827fdf81a34ba90ca135c.jpeg

Your photos are great!  We're you able to use your phone for the photos with no problem?  I usually use my camera as well as my iPhone.  We are on your November cruise from Atgens to Dubai.  We can hardly wait!

4 hours ago, seaventuregal said:

Your photos are great!  We're you able to use your phone for the photos with no problem?  I usually use my camera as well as my iPhone.  We are on your November cruise from Atgens to Dubai.  We can hardly wait!

This was using an IPhone.