Azamara P1 Aft Cabins and Petra (split thread)

TeaBag

11 hours ago, TeaBag said:

What great pictures.  Is this King SETI's tomb?  We usually just use our cell phone, so hopefully we will be allowed when we go.

Yes, these are SETI’s tomb. You’re not supposed to take photos even with your phone, but people did. I suspect money may have changed hands between our guide from Your Egypt Tours and the tomb guard. We were the only group in Seti’s tomb (probably because it’s expensive) and the guard didn’t stay with us. We didn’t try taking photos in any of the other tombs, there were lots of people and ever present guards in them.

5 hours ago, voyager1964 said:

May I ask a question - if Petra and Luxor are the main motivation for this cruise, why not take a Nile cruise, e.g., on Viking?

1. The whole Azamara experience!

2. Cost (no problem for many) is more than double what we have in the past for a Suez canal cruise.    2a. We see no need to cruise in a top suite.

3. Two extra lots of re-packing and unpacking flying from and back to Cairo.

4. Additional cost (and more re-packing and unpacking) for a four day extension to include Petra.

I do recognise that many would enjoy a Viking cruise and there is a definite attraction being docked closer to some sights, thus avoiding long bus trips, but for us the reasons above outweigh that.

• Like 2

Thanks Baynanno for answering the question better than I could.  I knew Petra would be an added trip after the cruise.  It's only 11 days also and ours is 23.  We've only sailed on one river cruise (AMA) and we really did like it.  We have yet to experience Azamara and we can't wait to sail on Quest to Norway in July.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TeaBag said:

Thanks Baynanno for answering the question better than I could.  I knew Petra would be an added trip after the cruise.  It's only 11 days also and ours is 23.  We've only sailed on one river cruise (AMA) and we really did like it.  We have yet to experience Azamara and we can't wait to sail on Quest to Norway in July.

We did two river cruises, one in France and one in Portugal, both of which I enjoyed . . . then we discovered ocean cruising 🤩 and haven't looked at another river cruise since.

We have enjoyed many cruises with Azamara, our second last being Norway in July 2019 on Journey. Our last was too long ago in October/November of 2019 on Pursuit in the Mediterranean for 23 days.

I am sure you will love your time on Azamara, both Norway and the Suez Canal. You may find the following useful prior to arriving in Norway :

https://www.cruise-norway.no/

Although the "Cruise Manual" has not been updated since 2019 - 2020 most of the contents should be much the same, apart from any covid related restrictions.

Have you discovered the Roll Calls for your cruises? And have you explored the thread "Tips for Azamara Newbies"?

Enjoy your cruises!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TeaBag said:

Norway is a great choice for your first Azamara cruise. We loved ours with Captain Johannes in charge. Because he is Norwegian it made the cruise extra special.

• Like 2

Thanks @Baynanno1  and @Grandma Cruisingfor your inputs. One particular aspect that I am trying to understand is related to limited mobility. I.e., a person that can walk OK, but has difficulties with stairs. Viking, Ama, and now Uniworld all hint they are taking care of their mobility-limited clientele in Egypt. I guess this is an exaggeration, especially given that more often than not you have to go through another river ship to embark/disembark in a port of call. How about land-based tours that you took in Safaga and Aqaba? How strenuous they were?

Thanks, V

31 minutes ago, voyager1964 said:

Thanks @Baynanno1  and @Grandma Cruisingfor your inputs. One particular aspect that I am trying to understand is related to limited mobility. I.e., a person that can walk OK, but has difficulties with stairs. Viking, Ama, and now Uniworld all hint they are taking care of their mobility-limited clientele in Egypt. I guess this is an exaggeration, especially given that more often than not you have to go through another river ship to embark/disembark in a port of call. How about land-based tours that you took in Safaga and Aqaba? How strenuous they were?

Thanks, V

Thanks for asking this question.

Given that there seem to be fewer river cruise ships on the Nile, I wonder if “rafting” is as common as in Europe.

Perhaps Host Jazzbeau has noticed if this topic has ever arisen on the River Cruises Forum.

2 hours ago, voyager1964 said:

Thanks, V

@Grandma Cruising will be better able to address your question, as I was unfortunately unable to visit Petra due to illness.

My recollections of the ship's overnight tour to Luxor :

1. A long bus ride. (steps of course on the bus)

2. Hotel was lovely, on the Nile. Food was o.k.

3. Luxor Temple has slightly uneven ground, but should not present any difficulty. Parked not far from the entry.

4. Evening tour to Karnak Temple with light show may well be a bit challenging whether on a cruise ship tour or any other, as there was quite a long walk to the seating area via poorly lit areas.

5. Morning tour including :

a. The Valley of the Kings, again the ground a bit uneven. I am recollecting sloping ramps into the tombs we visited, unsure whether there may have been some steps, Grandma Cruising may have a better recollection, as she has done the cruise several times. She was on a private tour that same year, but that doesn't affect the layout of the various sites.

b. Queen Hapshetsut's Temple, where there are lots of steps, but with ramps on both sides. A fair walk to the base of the access, but over much more even ground. Photo below.

c. A brief stop to see the Colossi of Memnon and the conservation works of Amenhotep III Temple, where the ground was again somewhat uneven.

6. Lunch aboard a Felucca (not the easiest to climb on to) while cruising the Nile, then if I remember back to the Hotel to freshen up.

7. The long bus ride back to the ship.

I would not contemplate trying to do the above (except of course the evening show) in a single day from a cruise ship. Whatever you decide, enjoy an amazing experience!

P1220411.JPG

• Like 1

I agree with everything Baynanno says about Luxor & the Valley of the Kings. Some of the tombs we went into in the Valley of the Kings had stairs as well as ramps - I think SETI’s tomb did. I also agree with her that to do the tour in 1 day would be exhausting.

As far as Petra is concerned it’s a very long walk over quite uneven ground. When we were there you could hire a horse and buggy, but it looked quite frightening. We have read somewhere that there are electric buggies that you can hire if you have mobility problems.344D5006-130A-4BD6-A3F5-93DAC39F729C.thumb.jpeg.322d244e6ad3e0afe419ca7aecc8c235.jpeg I can’t find anything on the Petra website, but there is a link to ask questions on it http://www.visitpetra.jo/Pages/viewpage.aspx?pageID=141

• Like 2

We booked a private trip to Petra when on Azamara. A taxi picked us up, we had a number of photo opportunities en route and a drinks break, once at Oeyra we had a guide and an electric golf cart and driver. We went down to the treasury with a number of stops, plenty of time to wander at the bottom and have a drink, take photos, meet the camels and then back to the top for lunch. My husband had been unwell and our sons felt that it was the best way for us to visit. It was a really good day and the guide was excellent. It was well worth the cost. It is a long walk, very hot and the path isn't easy as there are loose stones and potholes. We found it on a website offering private tours. We stopped on the way back to the ship too. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Grandma Cruising said:

I agree with everything Baynanno says about Luxor & the Valley of the Kings. Some of the tombs we went into in the Valley of the Kings had stairs as well as ramps - I think SETI’s tomb did. I also agree with her that to do the tour in 1 day would be exhausting.

As far as Petra is concerned it’s a very long walk over quite uneven ground. When we were there you could hire a horse and buggy, but it looked quite frightening. We have read somewhere that there are electric buggies that you can hire if you have mobility problems.344D5006-130A-4BD6-A3F5-93DAC39F729C.thumb.jpeg.322d244e6ad3e0afe419ca7aecc8c235.jpeg I can’t find anything on the Petra website, but there is a link to ask questions on it http://www.visitpetra.jo/Pages/viewpage.aspx?pageID=141

On the overnight tour we walked on our own in the dark to get to the Treasury light show and it was a long way, lit by electric tealights. I was with someone who struggled with the uneven ground (as did I!) so we hired one of those horse and buggies both down and back the next day. It was fun, but boy they never got any input from Rolls Royce on how to make the springs comfortable!  It was hard as anything, but good fun. 

Phil 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, manc said:

We booked a private trip to Petra when on Azamara. A taxi picked us up, we had a number of photo opportunities en route and a drinks break, once at Oeyra we had a guide and an electric golf cart and driver.We found it on a website offering private tours. We stopped on the way back to the ship too. 

Do you have the name of the tour company?  TIA.