Pearl Heading Back to Miami as Sailing Cancelled due to Crew Cases

ktpc2005

My guess is too many crew on these ships have tested positive for COVID and therefore the itineraries would be in jeopardy as many islands have a case threshold.  The good news is these crew are either asymptomatic or experiencing a mild cold.  If this were any other year, this would have been business as usual as it has not been uncommon for viruses to circulate on ships, especially between crew members who have a ton of close contact.  The sky is not falling.  January/February will be difficult logistically for cruise ships as these crew outbreaks, while mild, will make the numbers game with the ports hard to navigate.  

Also, please stop blaming people who are/aren't wearing masks or any other other silly reason for this. COVID is everywhere and will continue to spread for many years to come.  The current surge in cases will die down later this month, and so will the numbers on cruise ships.  Until then, the cruise lines just need to do the best they can with limiting the number of cases on board with testing and isolation of crew.  

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Av8torcrj said:

NCL was smart though, they got that FCC credit carrot out there quick in an effort to lock and capture those funds in limbo. Patience.... patience.... cancellation...refund. 

makes you wonder if they didn't wait until the day before just so people would have already canceled and got the FCC.  If you were going to voluntarily cancel using the POM, you would have done it by now.

• Like 3

I’m guessing these cancellations today are just the inevitable coming to a head and NCL getting a reality check B slap across the face by omicron. The FCC bait that needs to be avoided in my opinion is any cruise departing before Jan 31, the cutoff for POM. NCL is hoping in a cloud of hysteria folks will bite and they can capture the funds.

Can’t believe getaway sailing was canceled for tomorrow. I was originally on that sailing and canceled on dec 17 due to Canadian travel restrictions. Total mouth-wide-open, jaw-dropping, OMG shock and awe over all this…this is BIG. What cruises are next? Are other lines doing this?

Edited by marktwothousand
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, dad son team said:

makes you wonder if they didn't wait until the day before just so people would have already canceled and got the FCC.  If you were going to voluntarily cancel using the POM, you would have done it by now.

I wonder about this, too. 

The real question, are they going to test all passengers before they disembark?  I doubt it.  Do they really want the world to know how many asymptomatic passengers are positive?  Do they really want to pay for quarantine and travel expenses for what could be hundreds of passengers?  Not.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, CarolinaMamma said:

I wonder about this, too. 

we can all wonder about whatever, but idk what this sort of speculation benefits. IMHO, I think all the cruiselines are just trying to do their best right now. I remember when cruising was shut down how eager we all were to support them, and now it's just the finger pointed at them. 

• Like 10

Just now, onegunro said:

So what happens to those of us who upgraded for tomorrow's departure. Does that get refunded to our credit cards? Even if we paid for the cruise with FCC?

The cash you paid should be refunded as cash. The FCC you used will be refunded as FCC. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, aubreyc1988 said:

we can all wonder about whatever, but idk what this sort of speculation benefits. IMHO, I think all the cruiselines are just trying to do their best right now. I remember when cruising was shut down how eager we all were to support them, and now it's just the finger pointed at them. 

I’m just trying to gather as much info as I can before my Jann16th cruise. I’d hate to cancel and be stuck with $10k in FCC and then a day later have NCL cancel the cruise and give everyone a full refund plus 100% FCC. Observing how far in advance NCL cancels cruises (there will be others) will help me make the best decision. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, CarolinaMamma said:

I’m just trying to gather as much info as I can before my Jann16th cruise. I’d hate to cancel and be stuck with $10k in FCC and then a day later have NCL cancel the cruise and give everyone a full refund plus 100% FCC. Observing how far in advance NCL cancels cruises (there will be others) will help me make the best decision. 

if you are comfortably personally with sailing, I'd not cancel and just wait to see how things pan out. 

• Like 3

Last cruise I was on was March 2020 on the Pearl. It was her last voyage before the shutdown. We are sitting at our hotel in Miami ready to board the Getaway tomorrow. Guess I need to call and see what the plan is for getting us home since we done air through them. 

• Like 2

Just now, aubreyc1988 said:

if you are comfortably personally with sailing, I'd not cancel and just wait to see how things pan out. 

I have been saying this for a while, if you are not comfortable on your vaca, you have to cancel...Vaca is not supposed to be stressful.  Otherwise, let it ride.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, vacationut said:

Last cruise I was on was March 2020 on the Pearl. It was her last voyage before the shutdown. We are sitting at our hotel in Miami ready to board the Getaway tomorrow. Guess I need to call and see what the plan is for getting us home since we done air through them. 

So sorry your cruise was cancelled, wish you a safe trip home and hope you can rebook soon! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, aubreyc1988 said:

time definitely will tell. I am not cancelling (as I booked last minute anyhow)...if my cruise gets cancelled due to too high covid cases, it is what it is. 

I'm just tired of stressing about everything and all the speculation about "did the cruiselines know this" or "Did the cruiselines wait to cancel to screw people out of a cash refund". I am sure it was a really hard decision to decide what to do about these two sailings as they are bleeding money and NCL made the decision as soon as they knew the covid cases were too high on that ship.

I totally get it. We are all pretty hyped up. You have the right idea .... "it is what it is".... This decision by NCL is enormous. So many people are effected (not just cruisers). I suspect that quite a few people just lost gobs of money on this decision. It's heart-breaking really. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, CarolinaMamma said:

Hang in there momma. I bet by this time next week or a few days thereafter your funds will be headed back to your bank. If not, pull that FCC trigger at the last minute. 

56 minutes ago, ECCruise said:

Feel the same way.  Was on Getaway for 28 days in November/December.  The first 20 days there was a mask requirement which, at best, was adhered to at perhaps 85% or so.  And never once saw any crew member suggest, let alone insist, on mask wearing.  On tour buses we had to tell people several times to put on a mask in close quarters.  And each of those were in the EU, where it is the LAW in public transport.

I am currently on the Getaway. Masking has been near 100% with the exception of bars and dining areas. I have not once seen a crew member not wearing a high-quality mask correctly, let alone not having one at all. They are all totally masked all the time when in public areas. My guess is the crew areas are different, and that is the problem. I have only once seen a guest without a mask when he was not eating/drinking. Everyone I have run into has been very good about masking when with others. I was quite surprised to be honest. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, aubreyc1988 said:

That’s the way I’m leaning right now. My husband and I are comfortable sailing, given that we are triple vaxxed and most cases of omicron among vaxxed and boosted people have been mild. If I hear horror stories of how people are treated in quarantine, that could change my mind. 

Based on what I’m seeing anecdotally, I feel

like getting omicron is inevitable, especially with two teenagers in the house attending school. I’ve known more people with Covid in the last two weeks than I have the entire pandemic. 

• Like 7

26 minutes ago, Fredric22 said:

What are you talking about? First of all, the crew are not allowed off the ship to go roam freely in Florida shopping malls.  Also, if you think people are getting COVID from going shopping, please go educate yourself.  Lastly, COVID is literally everywhere on Earth (even in Antarctica now!) so it really has nothing to do with Florida specifically.  

I was on the Gem 12/26 sailing out of NYC and many of the crew disembarked and went shopping. We were eating lunch and watching them all return to the ship laden with bags and supplies.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, CarolinaMamma said:

That’s the way I’m leaning right now. My husband and I are comfortable sailing, given that we are triple vaxxed and most cases of omicron among vaxxed and boosted people have been mild. If I hear horror stories of how people are treated in quarantine, that could change my mind. 

Based on what I’m seeing anecdotally, I feel

like getting omicron is inevitable, especially with two teenagers in the house attending school. I’ve known more people with Covid in the last two weeks than I have the entire pandemic. 

100% agree, I'm letting my 1/22 sailing ride.

I've heard that most people are put into balcony cabins for quarantine and refunded prorated. IMHO, sitting on my balcony for however long is better than my living room.

• Like 3