Nexus Trusted Traveler Renewal

iancal

10 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

My card expired August 2020.  Way in advance of the expiry I went to renew and I received notification that I must present for an in-person interview to renew.  Okay...  no worries.  

I booked that in-person interview at Toronto Pearson International Airport, then covid hit and all in-person appointments were cancelled.  I have been waiting and checking to rebook since.  I visit the site approximately every 2 months to see if anything has opened up and all Canadian sites within reasonable travel distance for me are still closed.

The site used to say that my card expiry would be extended a certain time frame, now it just says pending renewal, without any dates on it....

I have traveled several times in the last 12 months and it seems to still work at the airports...

I would  like to get this renewed but don't understand why most every business is operating like pre-covid not but the government is not?

Mine doesn’t have any dates on it either that why I asked the question yesterday.  Not everyone is retired with all the free time in the world to go on a road trip.  I am not close to a border either.  It would be nice if it was good for 10 years.  I don’t understand the whole need to be investigated again or have an in person meeting because your drivers license changed or you changed employers.  Does doing that make you a criminal worthy of an investigation?   I don’t need to hear they can do it because they can.  When you are backed up 300,000 applications maybe some changes are in order. 

3 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

My closest location is a 2 or 2.5 hour drive each way + a border crossing.  The earliest appointment is end of February 2023.

They have my $50 application fee from the original application.  I wish that there was a way to cancel the renewal application and start over, even if I had to pay the $50 again.

A 2 hour drive sure is a killer all right, but, again, keep checking for new interview slots, they do open up. If you have to, canceling an existing appt and making a new sooner one is dead easy on the web site, I did it three or four times. When I was checking for a new slot, i had numerous better options pop up, each much closer than my original October. In the end I managed to snag a new appointment just a week later, and had my appt in late June

2 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Mine doesn’t have any dates on it either that why I asked the question yesterday.  Not everyone is retired with all the free time in the world to go on a road trip.  I am not close to a border either.  It would be nice if it was good for 10 years.  I don’t understand the whole need to be investigated again or have an in person meeting because your drivers license changed or you changed employers.  Does doing that make you a criminal worthy of an investigation?   I don’t need to hear they can do it because they can.  When you are backed up 300,000 applications maybe some changes are in order. 

Only you can decide whether the benefits derived from being a NEXUS member are worth the time, money and effort spent renewing your membership. If you only travel to the US once a year, it's probably not worth it. On the other hand, if you visit frequently, driving down to the US for an interview is a comparatively minor issue.

BTW, NEXUS is one of five Trusted Traveler Programs, all of which have memberships that are valid for 5 year.

1 minute ago, Fouremco said:

Only you can decide whether the benefits derived from being a NEXUS member are worth the time, money and effort spent renewing your membership. If you only travel to the US once a year, it's probably not worth it. On the other hand, if you visit frequently, driving down to the US for an interview is a comparatively minor issue.

BTW, NEXUS is one of five Trusted Traveler Programs, all of which have memberships that are valid for 5 year.

Time is a problem.  I don't have free time for a drive to the USA.  I think those that have been retired for a while don't get it or maybe had several months off a year for vacation.  Thats not reality for most  people. I shouldn't have to drive to the USA to get it   ii really don't care if everything else is only available for 5 years.  We've never had a pandemic of this level.  Let's just keep everything the same because that's working.  Please don't state the obvious.  I realize only I can decide if it's worth it.  I wasn't asking for imput on that.

On 7/31/2022 at 8:05 PM, Florida_gal_50 said:

Does anyone know if the expiry on the nexus card will be extended?  My card expires at the end of the year.  I submitted my application as soon as I could at the start of July.  No news yet.  Thanks.

I am in the same boat. My Nexus expires in December 2022. The email I got in June from cbp.dhs.gov stated the following;

Due to a significant increase in application volume, U.S. Customs and Border Protection is extending the grace period from 6 months to 1 year for any Trusted Traveler member who has a valid membership and who has submitted a renewal application. This means you will continue to receive full benefits for 1 year while U.S. Customs and Border Protection is finalizing your renewal application.

My interpretation of this is my Nexus is extended to December 2023. 

Look for your email and see if it says the same thing.

For me Nexus is not about going to or from the USA.  It is about international travel in general.  

Nexus gives me a faster - sometimes - security line leaving Canada.

If I happen to transit through the USA on the way home, then it helps if I have to go through customs/immigration - this has happened before.

When I arrive in Toronto it allows me to bypass the huge long immigration lines and go to the machine.

Nexus has removed the "date" that my card is good for from the original renewal date.  Perhaps they are now just extending indefinitely?

I personally don't think that I should have to drive 5-6 hours and into the USA to be renewed, and frankly would give up the card before doing so. 

8 hours ago, DirtyDawg said:

I am in the same boat. My Nexus expires in December 2022. The email I got in June from cbp.dhs.gov stated the following;

Due to a significant increase in application volume, U.S. Customs and Border Protection is extending the grace period from 6 months to 1 year for any Trusted Traveler member who has a valid membership and who has submitted a renewal application. This means you will continue to receive full benefits for 1 year while U.S. Customs and Border Protection is finalizing your renewal application.

My interpretation of this is my Nexus is extended to December 2023. 

Look for your email and see if it says the same thing.

Thanks for the info.  I did not get an email after I applied.  It didn’t go to my junk mail.  Nothing but junk in there.  So much for the 2 year grace period.

5 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Thanks for the info.  I did not get an email after I applied.  It didn’t go to my junk mail.  Nothing but junk in there.  So much for the 2 year grace period.

At least it's a year. It's better than getting hit with a puck in the head. 🏒 🙃

No.  To my knowledge, since Covid, we have no way to contact anyone?

For me Nexus is not about going to or from the USA.  It is about international travel in general.  

Nexus gives me a faster - sometimes - security line leaving Canada.

If I happen to transit through the USA on the way home, then it helps if I have to go through customs/immigration - this has happened before.

When I arrive in Toronto it allows me to bypass the huge long immigration lines and go to the machine.

Nexus has removed the "date" that my card is good for from the original renewal date.  Perhaps they are now just extending indefinitely?

I personally don't think that I should have to drive 5-6 hours and into the USA to be renewed, and frankly would give up the card before doing so. 

Edited by Florida_gal_50

I would give up on it as well.  No one should have to drive to the USA.  It’s ridiculous to suggest that.  That’s not what is signed up for 10 years ago.  I can’t understand why this just can’t be renewed like a passport.  Clearly it’s a make work project for government workers.  As long as you aren’t doing anything to jeopardize your nexus it should just be rubber stamped.

1 hour ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Barely 😛

And here is an excerpt from the notification from the Trusted Travelers Programs of the US DHS my wife received when she sent her applicatio for renewal in this past January:

Due to a significant increase in application volume, we are extending the grace period from 18 months to 24 months for any submitted renewal application. This means you will continue to receive full benefits for 24 months while U.S. Customs and Border Protection is finalizing your renewal application. 

Apparently, there is a variety of experiences.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

My wife and I applied for renewal in mid-July.  On the web page it confirmed our application.  Credit card was charged.  But we also did not get any email confirmation or any update.  Not in junk folder.  We were wondering.  But good to know you are in the same boat.

3 hours ago, Middleager said:

My wife and I applied for renewal in mid-July.  On the web page it confirmed our application.  Credit card was charged.  But we also did not get any email confirmation or any update.  Not in junk folder.  We were wondering.  But good to know you are in the same boat.

Thanks for confirming that.  I think sometimes people just think you've lost emails or don't know about the junk folder. 

16 minutes ago, 3Shelaghs said:

They need to get their you know what together.... anyone I know that has come through Terminal 1 lately... the Nexus line is closed and not open!!!

Arriving or departing? Or both?

15 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

That’s an issue on the US CBP end.

Unless there have been recent changes, in Ottawa the NEXUS line starts before you go through security, operated by CATSA, not TSA. This enables NEXUS member to go to the head of the line. After you are cleared by CATSA, you then follow the NEXUS line to the bank of NEXUS kiosks. Once you have finished there, you continue on to see a US CBP officer.  Maybe it is different in Toronto, but I believe that the opening or closure of a NEXUS line is an airport function, not a US CBP responsibility. They are going to see every passenger anyway, no matter what line they take to arrive at their wicket, so it really doesn't matter to the officer what route they took to get there.

4 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Unless there have been recent changes, in Ottawa the NEXUS line starts before you go through security, operated by CATSA, not TSA. This enables NEXUS member to go to the head of the line. After you are cleared by CATSA, you then follow the NEXUS line to the bank of NEXUS kiosks. Once you have finished there, you continue on to see a US CBP officer.  Maybe it is different in Toronto, but I believe that the opening or closure of a NEXUS line is an airport function, not a US CBP responsibility. They are going to see every passenger anyway, no matter what line they take to arrive at their wicket, so it really doesn't matter to the officer what route they took to get there.

Interesting.  In Toronto the NEXUS lane is after Security.