Questions related to all things Covid testing relating to Princess Cruises

Host CJSKIDS

We’ve used at-home proctored Binax tests for cruises in Nov and Dec with zero problems at all. We just ordered six more for our 16 day TA cruise in March. Although Princess will cover the required testing before we can fly back home from Southampton, we feel that taking our own tests in our cabin the day before disembarking will be MUCH faster and easier, and allow us to leave Southampton right away after disembarking rather than sitting on the pier for who knows how long, waiting for results. 

• Like 2

Update on PCL website on Jan 12, 22.

Health protocols…Covid testing…

Covid testing at port, paragraph was added for those who can prove they tested and did not get their results back in time.

Quote:

For fully vaccinated guests that can show proof of testing within the 2-day window but did not receive their test results back in time, we have mobile testing sites as a back-up near our embarkation ports to conduct COVID-19 testing on the day of your cruise departure. On-site providers will not accept insurance, but you will be provided a receipt should you wish to submit the cost to your insurance carrier.

unquote

I don’t remember seeing this paragraph before.  Only other change I could see was they corrected a date on pier testing

in one area they missed on the last update.

4 hours ago, TXcruiser13 said:

We’ve used at-home proctored Binax tests for cruises in Nov and Dec with zero problems at all. We just ordered six more for our 16 day TA cruise in March. Although Princess will cover the required testing before we can fly back home from Southampton, we feel that taking our own tests in our cabin the day before disembarking will be MUCH faster and easier, and allow us to leave Southampton right away after disembarking rather than sitting on the pier for who knows how long, waiting for results. 

Are you concerned about any communication issues when doing this from the ship in or out of port? I apologize for my ignorance regarding theses tests, but a Roll Call member mentioned that she "would hate to have the call dropped when in the middle of the ocean". Can a medical officer on the ship be the "proctor"? Thanks

8 minutes ago, nini said:

Are you concerned about any communication issues when doing this from the ship in or out of port? I apologize for my ignorance regarding theses tests, but a Roll Call member mentioned that she "would hate to have the call dropped when in the middle of the ocean". Can a medical officer on the ship be the "proctor"? Thanks

Love this forum, so many great ideas!

Our internet around Europe has been very good, except the trip between Portugal up to the UK.  Patchy.  Close to the UK is usually good.  You never know.

Some of the ships have done testing OB for those leaving the next day to fly back to the US.  Maybe medical could do those ahead?  If you’re staying over, of course, it wouldn’t work.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, nini said:

I’m not too worried about internet accessibility. We have managed a myriad of functions online while cruising without issue. I know some people have reported some issues, but that hasn’t been our personal experience. By the time we take our tests to fly home the ship will be close to or already in port. Internet shouldn’t be an issue at all. 

2 hours ago, PacnGoNow said:

Love this forum, so many great ideas!

Our internet around Europe has been very good, except the trip between Portugal up to the UK.  Patchy.  Close to the UK is usually good.  You never know.

Some of the ships have done testing OB for those leaving the next day to fly back to the US.  Maybe medical could do those ahead?  If you’re staying over, of course, it wouldn’t work.

Having testing done on the last sea day onboard would be SO ideal. I truly hate the thought of the usual disembarkation chaos, with covid tests tossed in for fun.  Blah! Worth the money to do two proctored tests in our cabin, unless Princess offers testing the day before. That’s great by me!

• Like 1

I called OPTUM:

1.  You can purchase multiple tests and hand them out to different individuals in different households.

2.  OPTUM does not have the capability to ship to different address.  One person

3.  There is an expedient charge ($19.99) to ship to Hawaii and Alaska (not surprised).

4.  Back logged.  When I called on 1/10, they said it would arrive by 1/28.

Called my insurance company.  They are "working" on reimbursements and could not answer if these (eMed) kits would be eligible for  $12 reimbursement.  Told me to check back next week.  

Rep did not know of IOS problems.

Rep suggested an extra test kit in case one of the vials did not have proper solution.  (I found this to be unacceptable).  Refund for bad kit only.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I called OPTUM:

4.  Back logged.  When I called on 1/10, they said it would arrive by 1/28.

I ordered online (two two packs, for a total of 4 test kits) on Sun, Jan 9.  They were delivered yesterday, Wed, Jan 12.  I was shocked at the incredibly rapid delivery.  

I was also shocked at the complete lack of directions outside the boxes.  The ONLY directions were to store between 35.6 and 86 degrees, "DO NOT OPEN UNTIL INSTRUCTED TO DO SO" and something incomprehensible about ordering appetizers at a restaurant called Navica --- probably seafood, but I've never been; I hope they have takeout.  I'll deal with that two days before the cruise, I guess.

@Mike45LC

Delay must be due to distance it needs to "fly".  I deal with this all the time.  It really doesn't cost more to fly from OPTUM to LA as it does from OPTUM to HNL.  She did mention ground delivery.  

Glad you were able to get it sooner than later.  I've used Abbott Binax before so not concerned about "instructions".  I am guessing they need to make sure test is tamper proof.  

Funny about ordering appetizers.  Wonder what that is all about.

For what it's worth... we ordered tests from Optum on 1/5 - and they came today 1/13... although from looking at the USPS tracking, it appears they got waylaid for at least a couple of days.   z

Shipped Jan 7 from Hayward CA - Jan 9 in Albuquerque (which was probably wrong) - Jan 12 - Portland - Jan 12 Eugene - Brookings (where we live) January 13.  

I've noticed lots of stuff shipped from the postoffice is taking longer.... so plan accordingly. 

Re:  Sea Food Appetizers and BinaxNOW

Navica is not a restaurant.

I think that business you thought you saw about "appetizers" is probably where it says to download the "Navica" app to your device. 

Getting the Navica app going and creating an account (the usual passwords and so forth) takes some time, so it's probably best to do it all ahead of time.   

If you were making a joke... sorry... didn't mean to spoil it... but this could've thrown someone for a loop at the last minute.   For me anyway, this isn't the sort of thing I want to be doing (making accounts and writing down passwords) while traveling... and we leave home 3 days before the cruise... so we'll be doing this all in a hotel. 

Picture of the text from the box that I saw follows. 

(And as far as I can tell, you don't need to have an appointment... just start the app up when ready to go... it didn't seem to have that as an option)... but this is all pretty confusing. Hope this helps.

IMG_7081.jpg.8e43e7a881701d282e33178b3a903391.jpg

There is a QR code on the box. If you’ve already downloaded the NAVICA app you just point your phone at it, take a picture, and it fires up the app and takes you directly to a rep. It’s very straight-forward from there; they will guide you through it all.

Have your ID available! Do not open your test box before you have a rep on the line! You’ll open the box and remove a swab, small bottle of liquid, and a test card. You’ll drop six drops of liquid into a hole in the card, then swirl the swab around both nostrils, then insert the swab into a second hole in the test card. You then seal up the card, and wait 15 minutes, and the first rep who helps you then passes you on to a second rep, who will confirm your test result at the fifteen minute mark. Then they will immediately email you your result. It’s a seamless transaction. 

it’s that simple!!! The reason people recommend a back up test is because some tests have the tiny vials of liquid dry out. It happened to us! They sent us another test to replace it, but we needed our results right then and there - the back up test was a lifesaver. 

So far we’ve done these tests at home, in a hotel room, and onboard, with no problems at all. 

Edited by TXcruiser13
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

We're due to sail on an Alaskan cruise in May, but our TA phoned yesterday to say Princess are not allowing unvaccinated children OB (ours are 5yrs and 1yrs - there hasn't been a vaccine rollout for this age in the UK yet!).

So we face having to cancel our holiday. The only guidance I can find is Princess's faq online, which refers to cruises departing from the US only I believe (we're departing from Vancouver).

Anybody know if Princess are allowing children on board for non-US departing cruises and what the test procedures are if so? Thanks.

Edited by NECruiseNovice

15 minutes ago, NECruiseNovice said:

We're due to sail on an Alaskan cruise in May, but our TA phoned yesterday to say Princess are not allowing unvaccinated children OB (ours are 5yrs and 1yrs - there hasn't been a vaccine rollout for this age in the UK yet!).

So we face having to cancel our holiday. The only guidance I can find is Princess's faq online, which refers to cruises departing from the US only I believe (we're departing from Vancouver).

Anybody know if Princess are allowing children on board for non-US departing cruises and what the test procedures are if so? Thanks.

But they do sail through the US, so the rules would apply as far as I can tell.

In the US the vaccine may be available for ages 2-5 mid year.  Under 2, no idea.

I would have your TA ring PCL and

ask for clarification.  Have you checked the UK Princess forums?

Stay safe.

23 minutes ago, NECruiseNovice said:

Also, Princess protocols have stated in the past, a small number of unvaccinated may be accepted, for ones that are not yet eligible to be vaccinated.  Do not know if this is an option for May?  But your TA should check with PCL for you.

38 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

Also, Princess protocols have stated in the past, a small number of unvaccinated may be accepted, for ones that are not yet eligible to be vaccinated.  Do not know if this is an option for May?  But your TA should check with PCL for you.

It currently isn't according to their updated FAQ's.

15 hours ago, Digisailor said:

If you were making a joke... sorry... didn't mean to spoil it... but this could've thrown someone for a loop at the last minute.

Sorry that people didn't see the joke and that I confused some people.  I am of the age that to me, "app" means appetizer, not some application for a cell phone, and I like to pretend that I don't get it. Part of my futile resistance to "progress."  

I watched a BinaxNow video that showed the entire process, except for the proctoring part.  Thanks for the explanation on the proctoring.  I'd rather be able to make an appointment in advance, but I have most of a full day to get it done -- if we test positive, I have to cancel my pre-cruise hotel reservations by 11:59 p.m. on the second day before the cruise.  

• Haha 1

On 1/14/2022 at 4:44 PM, Mike45LC said:

New question:  Does anyone know if nasal irrigation (Navage or nettie pots) impact the test results?  I use Navage almost every day, and I fear that the process might ruin the test.

Supposedly not.  Here’s an article you can read.

https://ohionewstime.com/do-nasal-sprays-affect-covid-19-test-results/315816/?amp

21 minutes ago, claudiaYVR said:

Have any guests been disembarked and left at a port because they tested positive for Covid during the cruise or are all quarantined on board? many thanks,

They are quarantined OB, unless due to medical reasons they need more care, from what I’ve heard.

If you are referring to cruises in and out of the US.  
The cruises that are stopping in ports in Europe are different protocols due to the EU covid rules.

• Thanks 1

On 1/13/2022 at 10:29 AM, TXcruiser13 said:

Also booked on the Emerald Princess from Fll to Southampton on April 16.

could not find on Princess web site if they provide free testing( PCR or Antigen) on last day or at disembarkation like it is in Fll. Thx