Questions related to all things Covid testing relating to Princess Cruises

Host CJSKIDS

1 minute ago, bookie54 said:

Also booked on the Emerald Princess from Fll to Southampton on April 16.

could not find on Princess web site if they provide free testing( PCR or Antigen) on last day or at disembarkation like it is in Fll. Thx

princess website  home page very top

Yes, they do:  Health protocols…

sailing from the US

covid testing Q & A

move all the way to the bottom 

Post cruise

25 minutes ago, bookie54 said:

Also booked on the Emerald Princess from Fll to Southampton on April 16.

could not find on Princess web site if they provide free testing( PCR or Antigen) on last day or at disembarkation like it is in Fll. Thx

If my home country requires proof of a negative COVID-19 test result for re-entry following my cruise, will Princess administer and cover the cost of the test?

Yes, if a negative COVID-19 test is required for re-entry into your home country, Princess will cover the costs of a COVID-19 test administered within the timeframe required prior to travel.

Guests should disembark the ship, collect their luggage, clear customs and exit the terminal for testing. COVID-19 tests will be administered just outside the terminal. Antigen test results will be available in approximately 30 minutes and PCR test results will be available in approximately 60 minutes; please plan your post-cruise travel arrangements accordingly.

Guests are encouraged to review their home country’s health authority and travel websites to understand the latest guidance on required testing and timing for return travel.

If guests would prefer to have the required test completed while still onboard, Princess has partnered with Optum so that U.S.-based vaccinated guests can order an FDA-authorized at-home antigen test kit, shipped to your door in 3 business days or less, before traveling to the ship. Using MedallionNet onboard, these at-home tests include a personal virtually video-supervised visit with an eMed Certified Guide through telehealth services. These guides will help you properly administer the test while onboard and verify the results, within 15 minutes. The lab result report is delivered via email and can be printed or displayed on your mobile device during check-in. Please place your order with enough time to be shipped prior to your boarding. Order your test kit online.

I read on the Viking Ocean forum that Covid positive passengers are being left at the next available port and not quarantined on the ship. This is Europe though, not the Caribbean. Personally, I would be terrified to be dropped off in Turkey or wherever.

1 minute ago, nini said:

I read on the Viking Ocean forum that Covid positive passengers are being left at the next available port and not quarantined on the ship. This is Europe though, not the Caribbean. Personally, I would be terrified to be dropped off in Turkey or wherever.

Yes that’s right because of the EU covid protocols.  It’s scary and that’s why we are hoping to go next year.  But who knows?  We love Europe.

Great thread. We need PCR tests to fly back to Canada and it sounds like Princess does these at the port after disembarkation. My concern is if  we test positive, will Princess “promises” regarding costs of quarantine hotels, etc still apply? The wording in the website says:

• If you test positive for COVID-19 during your cruise, you will be reimbursed for expenses for COVID-related medical care, including those incurred during any medically required post-disembarkation quarantine period. This includes air change fees if onward travel plans need to change.
  • We’ll designate a Dedicated Family Assistance liaison for care and logistical shoreside support until you or the member of your immediate travel party is medically cleared to travel home.
  • Any shoreside meals will be covered by a daily meal allowance, which you’ll learn about from the family assistance coordinator when you disembark. (No receipts required.)

Since it will not technically be “during” our cruise but after,  I am hoping this isn’t a way for them not to assist.

41 minutes ago, sunviking90 said:

Great thread. We need PCR tests to fly back to Canada and it sounds like Princess does these at the port after disembarkation. My concern is if  we test positive, will Princess “promises” regarding costs of quarantine hotels, etc still apply? The wording in the website says:

• If you test positive for COVID-19 during your cruise, you will be reimbursed for expenses for COVID-related medical care, including those incurred during any medically required post-disembarkation quarantine period. This includes air change fees if onward travel plans need to change.
  • We’ll designate a Dedicated Family Assistance liaison for care and logistical shoreside support until you or the member of your immediate travel party is medically cleared to travel home.
  • Any shoreside meals will be covered by a daily meal allowance, which you’ll learn about from the family assistance coordinator when you disembark. (No receipts required.)

Since it will not technically be “during” our cruise but after,  I am hoping this isn’t a way for them not to assist.

Great question!  I have not read about this scenario.  This is an insurance question.  I cannot believe PCL would just leave you to take care of yourself.

Other posters have said PCL has been wonderful and guided them through the process when infected at the end of the cruise.

So, whatever insurance you have, I would definitely think that would kick in, regardless of what PCL would do for you.

But, you should check with PCL, your TA or your insurance company and see what’s covered, if you are concerned.

Do let us know what you find out, as others may be curious also.

1 hour ago, PacnGoNow said:

Great question!  I have not read about this scenario.  This is an insurance question.  I cannot believe PCL would just leave you to take care of yourself.

Other posters have said PCL has been wonderful and guided them through the process when infected at the end of the cruise.

So, whatever insurance you have, I would definitely think that would kick in, regardless of what PCL would do for you.

But, you should check with PCL, your TA or your insurance company and see what’s covered, if you are concerned.

Do let us know what you find out, as others may be curious also.

I have emailed our Princess travel planner and I’ll see what she says Monday, just thought someone might have had this experience. We do have the Princess platinum insurance, but would be easier to be handles by Princess from the get go. 

1 hour ago, CruiseVA said:

Do you have Trip Insurance?

Yes. We got the Princess Platinum (first time, but I was nervous about our usually great credit card insurance covering COVID related things). Will also  purchase separate travel medical as Princess is $$ limited.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, redrocks07 said:

We are planning on taking the Abbott ID-NOW test that Walgreens offers. Is this acceptable by Princess?

it needs to be the one that is monitored/guided & read by a proctor...before we sailed on the 4th they were only selling the unproctored one.

1 hour ago, redrocks07 said:

We are planning on taking the Abbott ID-NOW test that Walgreens offers. Is this acceptable by Princess?

I believe you are referring to getting the test at Walgreens?  Not over the counter.

They have 3 types.

PCR

NAAT Binax ID NOW

Rapid Antigen BinaxNOW 

Quote:

Rapid Diagnostic Test (ID NOW): The Rapid Point-of-Care (POC) - NAAT (ID NOW) test also detects genetic material of the virus. The test is performed on site with results available within 24 hours.

Rapid Antigen Test (BinaxNOW): Rapid Point-of-Care (POC) Test - Antigen (BinaxNOW) is an antigen test that detects the presence of a specific viral antigen. The test is performed on site, with results available the same day. These tests imply current viral infection and help determine if an individual is actively infected with COVID-19 and can spread it to others. A follow-up test with a diagnostic test may be required to confirm a positive result.

unquote

We got the rapid antigen because it’s the fastest, about 30 mins. It is acceptable by PCL.

If you check covid testing requirements on the website PCL, you should see them listed.  

Here’s the PCL explanation of covid tests that are acceptable.

Guests must be tested with a SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) viral test that could be either an antigen test or a nucleic acid amplification test (NAAT).

• Antigen tests include: 
    • Rapid antigen test
    • Viral antigen test
    • Antigen Chromatographic Digital Immunoassay,
    • Antigen Chemiluminescence Immunoassay, or
    • Antigen Lateral Flow Fluorescence
  • NAAT include: 
    • PCR - Polymerase chain reaction
    • RT-PCR – reverse transcription real time PCR
    • Quantitative PCR (qPCR)
    • Reverse transcription loop-mediated isothermal amplification (RT-LAMP) test
    • Transcription-mediated amplification (TMA) test
    • Molecular test or molecular diagnostic test
    • Isothermal amplification
    • Droplet Digital PCR or digital droplet PCR (ddPCR)
    • Clustered regularly interspaced short palindromic repeats (CRISPR)

On 1/15/2022 at 3:09 PM, PacnGoNow said:

Supposedly not.  Here’s an article you can read.

https://ohionewstime.com/do-nasal-sprays-affect-covid-19-test-results/315816/?amp

Thanks, PacNGo!  I use the Navage for my asthma, and am concerned that it might make the test results inconclusive.   I knew someone on the forum would have an answer!!

I think I''ll discontinue use for a couple of days before we test, just in an abundance of caution.

10 minutes ago, Mike45LC said:

Thanks, PacNGo!  I use the Navage for my asthma, and am concerned that it might make the test results inconclusive.   I knew someone on the forum would have an answer!!

I think I''ll discontinue use for a couple of days before we test, just in an abundance of caution.

You could check with your Dr also. 
Take care!

On 1/8/2022 at 11:54 PM, orangetabby said:

I'm a snowbird living in Pompano Beach during the winter.  For my December cruise I used Curative (www.curative.com).  This is the third time I've used their service.  You can book online  up to about 10 days in advance.  There is no charge for Canadians.  Take a picture (front and back) of your license as you will have to upload it to prove that you are uninsured in the US.  The site I used has a 2 hour turnaround  time for a PCR test.  Everything worked great

Thanks for the information. I have been trying to get in touch with Curative for over a week but no response. I went online to book an appointment and it seemed to work though. I just gave the hotel address! I will just have to update since February appointments were not yet available. Do you have to show anything other that the confirmation email when you go?

Thanks again!

On 1/15/2022 at 7:41 PM, sunviking90 said:

I am also looking for an answer to this question! I also would like to know if rather than wait to disembark, I can get the test onboard. My flight is a bit before noon and I am worried about the time constraints. I left a message with my Princess rep. and will post if I get a definitive answer.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 1stCruiser said:

I am also looking for an answer to this question! I also would like to know if rather than wait to disembark, I can get the test onboard. My flight is a bit before noon and I am worried about the time constraints. I left a message with my Princess rep. and will post if I get a definitive answer.

I emailed my Princess rep, but didn’t get a response so I asked on the chat on the website and he said that the Princess promises would still apply. I booked our flight for 5pm to allow for any delays in results just in case. 

• Thanks 1

On 1/15/2022 at 7:41 PM, sunviking90 said:

I am from Canada and was worried about the same. I just spent a hour online with the Live chat, they gave me the same information as you have included above, however they did suggest I contact Customer Relations/Solutions, which i did, and still getting the same answer. My concern is same as yours, if I test positive at Debarkation am I still covered for any hotel quarantine expenses. I'm going to send an email to customerrelations@princesscruises.com then I will have their answer in writing should it be needed. I'll post on here once I get their response!

Edited by Labber 2
spelling
  • Thanks 1

On 1/18/2022 at 12:35 PM, 1stCruiser said:

Let us know what your Princess rep says. Mine never answered and even the chat fellow said we were ok, I wasn’t all that confident in his understanding of what I meant. He pretty much copied and pasted the website answer, and when I pushed he just said yes you’re fine.

5 hours ago, sunviking90 said:

Let us know what your Princess rep says. Mine never answered and even the chat fellow said we were ok, I wasn’t all that confident in his understanding of what I meant. He pretty much copied and pasted the website answer, and when I pushed he just said yes you’re fine.

I was getting the same responses, they were trying to be very helpful and responsive, but I just was still not convinced with the wording on the website. I have rec'd an acknowledgement email indicating they rec'd mine. The response said it may take time for them to respond due to the overwhelming number if calls and emails they are receiving. Which is understandable. Fingers crossed I hear back relatively soon and I will absolute post will as soon as I hear! For me, its pretty much and make or break deal as to whether I go or not. 

Want to share my experience with BeeperMD.

I am sailing on Celebrity Apex Jan 22, Sky Princess Jan 29, and Holland America Rotterdam Feb 5.

I made an online appointment with BeeperMD on Dec 8 for my wife and I to test on Jan 20, between 11:00 - 1:00, 2 days before departure. In the comments I stated that we were staying at the Marriott Harbor Beach Hotel and would meet the tester in the lobby. 

I got an immediate email confirmation. I didn’t hear anything else.

I was not comfortable with this and had a backup plan.  Was able to get appointments at Walgreens on Sunrise, then would plan on a trip to LabDoc on 17th, and last our eMed test kits.

I called BeeperMD at 11:00 (start of appointment window).  Was told tester would be at hotel at 11:30.  She walked into lobby at 11:30. 

We found a quiet spot to test. It took her about 25 minutes to complete both tests (negative) and do a zoom with a nurse practitioner to certify tests and enter paperwork.

At 12:15 I got an email that the test was complete and there was no charge. 

At 1:00 we got confirmation emails that both tests were negative. 

This process could not have been easier. I would recommend you have a backup plan in case of a problem.

Will use our eMed Abbott kits for cruise 2 and 3. 

Sent from my iPad
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, pilot said:

Want to share my experience with BeeperMD.

I am sailing on Celebrity Apex Jan 22, Sky Princess Jan 29, and Holland America Rotterdam Feb 5.

I made an online appointment with BeeperMD on Dec 8 for my wife and I to test on Jan 20, between 11:00 - 1:00, 2 days before departure. In the comments I stated that we were staying at the Marriott Harbor Beach Hotel and would meet the tester in the lobby. 

I got an immediate email confirmation. I didn’t hear anything else.

I was not comfortable with this and had a backup plan.  Was able to get appointments at Walgreens on Sunrise, then would plan on a trip to LabDoc on 17th, and last our eMed test kits.

I called BeeperMD at 11:00 (start of appointment window).  Was told tester would be at hotel at 11:30.  She walked into lobby at 11:30. 

We found a quiet spot to test. It took her about 25 minutes to complete both tests (negative) and do a zoom with a nurse practitioner to certify tests and enter paperwork.

At 12:15 I got an email that the test was complete and there was no charge. 

At 1:00 we got confirmation emails that both tests were negative. 

This process could not have been easier. I would recommend you have a backup plan in case of a problem.

Will use our eMed Abbott kits for cruise 2 and 3. 

Sent from my iPad

That’s great.  Thanks for sharing.

Why was there no charge? Did you give them insurance information?

TIA