Live from Emerald Princess Jan. 8-18

jeanandjim

Just now, Poulsbo Cruisers said:

We are on this cruise. Around 930 passengers and 1010 crew members. There’s no wait for anything. Very nice! We are disappointed that Cartagena was canceled, but this isn’t Princess’ fault. It does mean only four ports for a 10-day cruise. Everything is going very smoothly. Ship is extremely clean. We were concerned about a vibration on the aft end after some earlier cruisers on the Emerald reported an issue. We haven’t noticed any vibration so it must have been fixed. Our only complaint is the bed. This is our 11th Princess cruise and it’s the worst bed we’ve ever experienced. It’s lumpy and saggy. I have a sore back every morning. 

1 minute ago, Poulsbo Cruisers said:

We are on this cruise. Around 930 passengers and 1010 crew members. There’s no wait for anything. Very nice! We are disappointed that Cartagena was canceled, but this isn’t Princess’ fault. It does mean only four ports for a 10-day cruise. Everything is going very smoothly. Ship is extremely clean. We were concerned about a vibration on the aft end after some earlier cruisers on the Emerald reported an issue. We haven’t noticed any vibration so it must have been fixed. Our only complaint is the bed. This is our 11th Princess cruise and it’s the worst bed we’ve ever experienced. It’s lumpy and saggy. I have a sore back every morning. 

We are on this cruise from Jan 18th, are they giving any compensation for missed ports?

Good morning, made a Trek around the promenade deck this morning. It is open all the way around, no smoking area visible. The server in Vines told me last night that the crew smoking area is on deck 8 forward, but see that as not a  possibility because that is an extension of the promenade walk. I did see a smoking area on deck 17 just outside the elevator doors on the starboard side. Asked a crew member if this was for crew, he said anybody.

One benefit of low sailing numbers. Night one was formal. Day two sent in laundry, afternoon of day three got my cleaned and pressed formal trousers, dinner jacket, and cleaned starched and pressed formal shirt back.

We got ten dollars back in our account for missing port, that was the port fee. No mention of any on board credit for missing a port.   

Other than the first night, seas have been relatively calm, a few clouds and drizzle have been encountered, but we are not deck people so had not been a problem for us.

Jim

• Like 1

4 hours ago, alexdw said:

We are on this cruise from Jan 18th

We got a notice upon embarkation that they will be performing engine maintenance after we leave Panama. This will impact our ability to operate at full speed. We plan on arriving in Costa Rica an hour late and Ft. Lauderdale an hour late. I don't know how this will impact your boarding time, but we were allowed to board just afternoon, so you might be pushed back to 1PM. Just so that you are aware.

Jim

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, jeanandjim said:

We got a notice upon embarkation that they will be performing engine maintenance after we leave Panama. This will impact our ability to operate at full speed. We plan on arriving in Costa Rica an hour late and Ft. Lauderdale an hour late. I don't know how this will impact your boarding time, but we were allowed to board just afternoon, so you might be pushed back to 1PM. Just so that you are aware.

Jim

Thank you for this Information. 

Also of note was there was no “sail away” during the sail away party. The music played, we lined the rail and then nothing. We watched the other ships leave while we did nothing. Finally after the music stopped and people started leaving, the captain came on and apologized for the delay. There were divers in the water doing some maintenance. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I am enjoying reading your live review. I am booked on Regal Princess in the beginning of March, but I'm starting to get cold feet because of the Omicron cases that have popped up on other lines, namely Royal Caribbean and NCL. I'm really leaning towards cancelling.  Have you heard of any cases of COVID-19 on your sailing? And if so, how has Princess handled those cases?

5 hours ago, suers515 said:

What movies are they playing under the stars?

Here is the listing so far.  note PT indicates Princess Theater

Sat: NFL Football

Sun: 10AM: Date Night, 1PM&4:30&8:15PM: NFL Football

Mon: 10AM: The Devil Wears Prada, 1PM (PT) I Care a Lot, 2:30 PM Ad Astra, 7&10PM Cruella

Tue: 9:30AM Big, 3PM Edw. Scissorhands, 7&10PM Jungle Cruise

Wed: 10AM Dumplin, 1PM (PT) The Lost Husband, 3PM Ford vs Ferrari,7PM SW ep8 The Last Jedi

Thu: 1PM (PT) Nomadland, 7&10 PM In The Heights

Jim😎

15 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

Coming back out.  Entering the upper lock:

Thank you Essiesmom for providing great pictures of our transit. For those on future cruises give these webcam locations to your friends and family to follow you along. I googled Agua Clara webcam and got the one that is showing the ship as it progresses thru. The delay is about three minutes so it is tough to coordinate waving. When you are on the ship the webcam is on a huge tower to the port side just before the main building as you are coming in, obviously after the main building on your way out. The other picture is from the bridge cam accessible thru the Princess web-sight.

We had a great day, little humid but a lot of hazy cloud cover so not a very oppressive heat. 600+ are out on excursions leaving a mere 300 of us on board. No lunch served today in the main dining room.

Jim😎

• Like 1

We spent the morning transit on a front deck forward of the Lido deck cabins, plenty of chairs set up, and of course a photographer. It was a great place to watch the transit. We then are spending the outbound transit in our room and on our balcony (thanx uprade fairy)

Jim😎

On 1/12/2022 at 8:15 AM, jeanandjim said:

Good morning, made a Trek around the promenade deck this morning. It is open all the way around, no smoking area visible. The server in Vines told me last night that the crew smoking area is on deck 8 forward, but see that as not a  possibility because that is an extension of the promenade walk. I did see a smoking area on deck 17 just outside the elevator doors on the starboard side. Asked a crew member if this was for crew, he said anybody.

One benefit of low sailing numbers. Night one was formal. Day two sent in laundry, afternoon of day three got my cleaned and pressed formal trousers, dinner jacket, and cleaned starched and pressed formal shirt back.

We got ten dollars back in our account for missing port, that was the port fee. No mention of any on board credit for missing a port.   

Other than the first night, seas have been relatively calm, a few clouds and drizzle have been encountered, but we are not deck people so had not been a problem for us.

Jim

Jim- Thank you so much for this information regarding the Promenade deck. We always try to book aft cabins and been concerned due to other recent cruises on the Emerald and the Grand. And thanks for your posts from your cruise!

On 1/11/2022 at 10:46 AM, jeanandjim said:

Poulsbo cruisers

Thanks for adding to the 'live from'. If you would like to meet, have a drink, chat, look up Jim Hicks on the shipmates portion of the medallion app. I will accept and try to set up a meeting. Thanx again.

Jim😎

Edited by jeanandjim
Changed text

We have attended PES lounge every night except one. We have had Tortilla chips and guacamole, Steak tartare, Smoked Salmon, Stilton Wheel, and Goat cheese balls with bruschetta. Assorted cheeses that have been excellent, dried fruits, olives (only calamata) vegetable platter. Nothing, special but fully appreciated. They do a great job of presenting this to a small audience, as numbers increase will they be able to handle the 'mob'?

I have asked my favorite source,, Romeo in Vines, about what they have heard about any covid cases on board. He said they have heard nothing, but believes they would have heard if any. Will continue to pursue this item.

I will check with an Engineering officer re. upcoming dry-dock.

Jim😎

• Like 2

11 hours ago, jeanandjim said:

Thanks for adding to the 'live from'. If you would like to meet, have a drink, chat, look up Jim Hicks on the shipmates portion of the medallion app. I will accept and try to set up a meeting. Thanx again.

Jim😎

We are in the PES lounge every evening between 4:30 and 5:30. Not sure about today due to excursion time changes. Couldn’t figure our how to chat with you on the Medallion app