The Daily for Thursday 01/13/2022

richwmn

Today is International Skeptics Day, Make Your Dream Come True Day, and National Rubber Duckie Day

If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything.--Mark Twain

Meal Suggestion for today - Simple Chicken Enchiladas
Drink of the Day - Cruzan Cider Punch
Wine of the Day - Louis Roederer 2013 Cristal Rosé Brut (Champagne)
Destination of the Day - Kusadasi (Ephesus), Turkey

Ships With Passengers

At Sea Caribbean

Nieuw Statendam  

Destination St Maartin eta 1/15

Rotterdam  

Destination Grand Turk eta 1/14

Columbia

Zuiderdam  

Puerto Limon, Costa Rica

Eurodam  

06:30 - 16:00

Puerto Vallarta, MX

Koningsdam  

08:00 - 17:00

Ships Without Passengers

At Sea Atlantic

Nieuw Amsterdam  

Drifting off Fort Lauderdale

Corfu GR

Volendam  

Zaandam  

Limassol CY

Oosterdam  

Long Beach CA US

Westerdam  

Anchorage

Port Everglades, Fort Lauderdale FL US

Noordam  

Anchorage

0113NAmerica.thumb.png.7f87637e0405b63dcc3024e223c1fea9.png

0112Europe.thumb.png.00b2a8a519b5879b0e7cf731c73d4499.png

• Like 33
  • Thanks 14

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily Report.

Interesting collection of days, or are they? 😉  Make your dreams come true day sounds great, and now I have the theme song from Laverne and Shirley stuck in my head.  I don't have a rubber duckie.

The meal suggestion sounds good, looking forward to seeing the recipe.

I'll pass on the drink of the day, hope the wine isn't too expensive.

Hope to see lots of pictures of Kusadasi, we were there several years ago on the Eurodam, I'll see if I can find some pictures.

Prayers for everyone. 

Have a wonderful Thursday.   Stay safe.

• Like 30

Thank you for the Thursday Daily, Rich.  Sometimes I'm a skeptic and some dreams have come true.  I'll pass on the Rubber Duckie and the Enchiladas.  Mark Twain was quite wise.  Been to Turkey only once on a land trip but not Ephesus.  Praying that Miko is recovering and there is good weather to pick him up.  I'll be out at first light to walk at the mall while there are as few people as possible.

Today’s care list:

Strength for Jacqui, healing for Jose and wisdom for his doctors
Saint John Hospital Covid Situation

Marshhawk with new illness and doctor issue
Welfare of furloughed crews
Walker in hospice
Cruising-along losing 2 friends and co-workers
Tana in hospital with poor prognosis
MissG’s dad with pneumonia
StLouisCruisers DD recovering from Tennis Elbow surgery
Numerious dailyite friends and family with covid
From the rotation:
HAL Sailor DH health issues
NextOne  DDIL with mystery illness
summer slope BCC surgery in February
positive biopsy for Mtn2Sea appointment January 19
rafinmd recovering from radiation side effects

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Welcome aboard Navybankermom
5 BHB with passengers
Front Line Health Care Workers        
3 days for Dobiemom (Breakaway to 1/23)
3 days for Heartgrove  (Rotterdam 1/16 to 1/23)
Carnival Group  hospital ships Noordam, Crown Princess, and Queen Victoria
summer slope (1/29)sassy~one , ( 1/29), and  Seasick Sailor (Rotterdam to1/16),  GTVCRUISER Koningsdam to 1/16) and boytje (Millennium to 1/17) at sea
Successful surgery for Mtn2Sea
Successful MOHS for Norseh2o’s 102 yo DM
Progress for luvteaching DH
New work for marshhawk
Koningsdan Staff Captain Sabine - officially onboard & introduced. - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 29
  • Thanks 14

Good morning everyone and thanks for the daily report.  What a good collection of days, as an accountant I am put in the position of being a skeptic every day and it can get a little wearing.  I prefer make your dreams come true day.  Rubber duckies don’t really do anything for me although some really enjoy taking them on cruises.  Very true quote today, plus you can sleep at night.  The meal suggestion sounds delicious as does the wine.  I haven’t been to today’s port but hope to visit on our retirement cruise next year.  Prayers for everyone in need and cheers to everyone celebrating happy events today.  Happy birthday to my friend Liam in Jersey City as well!

• Like 31

Good morning Rich and fellow Daily-ites. 

Jacqui I wish I could come to Canada and help you get through this crisis. You, Jose, and pups are in my prayers. Hoping Miko gets home safely today.

Roy thank you for keeping the lists going, especially throughout your radiation treatment. Hoping you are stronger each day.

As Rich stated on the Fleet report, Rotterdam is at sea today. It's rainy and a bit gloomy, but I'm hoping for sunshine to peek through the clouds.

Prayers and best wishes.

• Like 34

Thank you Rich for the Daily.

Of the three days. I’ll go for the “Make your dream come true” day.  I’m not very skeptical and don’t care for rubber duckies. LOL.

Love the quote and they are words I live by.  

I have spent the last three days on the phone with Apple techs trying to get my iMac working correctly. Tried to install a Windows segment and it caused untold havoc.  I have had six different techs over a period of three days before someone could help me.  It still isn’t totally right and now I have to bring the darn thing to a store in Savannah.

We have been to Kusadasi a number of times.  Ephesus is an amazing site.

Roy, thank you for the care and cheers lists.  i hope you are doing better as you recover from your radiation treatments.

Prayers for those who need them—especially Jacqui and Jose and Tana.

Cheers for those celebrating and getting ready to cruise.  

Today I am going to relax and hopefully stay away from my iMac.  

Hope everyone has a great day.

God Bless,

Terri

• Like 30

Good afternoon from a sunny 44°F NE coast of England where we have had lunch overlooking the sea.

Thank you for today's daily and fleet reports Rich.

Thank you Roy for keeping all the lists up to date.

Interesting days.

Good quote although if you always tell the truth you don't need to have a good memory.

Nice food but will give the drink a miss.

We have been to Kusadasi Turkey many times on a ship.

Ephesus is the main attraction but the shops and Bazaars next to the cruise terminal are amazing and an attraction of their own.

Prayers 🙏 for everyone on the care list.

I hope everyone has a nice day and stay safe 😷.

Graham.

16420764474405919246664212525006.jpg

Screenshot_20220113_121633.jpg

Screenshot_20220113_121703.jpg

• Like 33
  • Thanks 4

Good Morning everyone! Thank you Rich for the Daily Report, and thank you Roy for the Cares and Celebrations Report. And thank you everyone for caring and sharing!

Yesterday we rebooked our Carnival cruise to June aboard the Carnival Sunshine from Charleston.  The original intent was to thank DSIL on her birthday for watching Sam (and Juno) while Sue and I went cruising. Now we will celebrate her birthday aboard the Rotterdam in April, and Sue's birthday in June aboard the Carnival Sunshine. As for me, next year for my 72nd birthday I get to celebrate it aboard the Rotterdam while calling on Eidfjord, Norway. Thank you again for those that posted photos of Eidfjord the other day.

Looks like a big ice/snowstorm is headed our way for the weekend. Some of our more rural areas served by the local power cooperative just had their power restored from the storm 10 days ago! Hopefully it isn't too bad of a storm.

Stay safe!

- Jack

Edited by Heartgrove
  • Like 32

Good morning all! I would have to say I’m skeptical of most things. I have a big rubber ducky that I decorated for a charity river race - he has a Michigan helmet and Jerry Ford’s #48 on his front 😁
I like the quote. My DH calls me “Sister Mary Carrie” because of my tendency to tell the truth. 
Prayers to those on the list. Is it getting longer? 😢

• Like 30

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! Quite the combo of days. 

Thank you for keeping our lists, Roy! Hoping your energy continues to increase. Morning Dailyites. @kazu & @smitty34877, special prayers for you, those around you (furry ones, too), and the medical teams caring for them. 

Heading off to the gym. Then need to get out into the garden. Not sure what is for supper tonight. 

The last of the library/book series….

A3763C4F-A94F-473B-B0C6-3F9BC3A2B0D6.jpeg.39c141c45491fee90dadc2dc79a25bc2.jpeg

89C2499A-E4C5-4621-88CD-B49C1975D878.jpeg.ba0e9684b3b4b721139de6c0e2a45f73.jpeg

C1BB50A5-165C-4B3A-92DC-656A9F3C0CCD.jpeg.7d0abfbc8ea2aac353f6364795a3878f.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Louis Roederer 2013 Cristal Rosé Brut (Champagne)
If your budget allows, pick up a bottle of this superbly rated wine. This might be the perfect choice for a very special occasion. Online prices start at 
$299.99! But it comes in a gift box.😎
Winemaker Notes
A golden hue with soft, glowing highlights. Fine, steady, gentle bubbles. Powerful and complex on the palate, revealing a mixture of yellow fruit (mirabelle plum), juicy, ripe fruits (nectarine), citrus peel (candied orange) and finely-roasted nuts (hazelnut). The nose is simultaneously powdery and sweet, with elegant, chalky notes. Gentle, tactile and full-bodied on the palate. The bubbles create a gentle, vibrating sensation, then the wine becomes soft, dense and juicy. But it is the chalky freshness that quickly sets the tone: the sweetness becomes energetic and intense, giving the wine an elegant yet powerful texture. Fine, textured tannins reveal a poised and vinous dimension to the wine. The finish is savory and saline. Blend: 60% Pinot Noir, 40% Chardonnay

JS98 James Suckling
This is quite chalky with firm phenolics that frame the wine beautifully. It’s medium-to full-bodied with strawberries and earth. Dense, linear and intense. Hints of brioche and pie crust at the end. Very structured and gorgeous. Salty and lightly chewy. One third of the base wines fermented and aged in oak. Connoisseur Champagne. From organic vineyards of the Roederer domains. Smaller production than normal. Seven years on the lees. Give it two or three years to open.
JH98 Australian Wine Companion

Sheer, frightening intensity; pure unsweetened citrus. It’s a wine notorious for improving on cork in the years following release, but this will take longer than most. 100% estate-grown, 60/40% chardonnay and pinot noir, one-third each Montagne de Reims, Vallée de la Marne and Côtes des Blancs; 6 years on lees, disgorged September ’20.

V97 Vinous

The 2013 Cristal is a wine of extraordinary precision and tension. Searing acids drive a bold, racy Champagne that won’t be ready to offer its best drinking anytime soon. In recent vintages, Cristal has been quite open on release. That is far from the case with the 2013. Readers should plan on being quite patient. The blend is 60% Pinot Noir (from Aÿ, Verzy, Verzenay, Beaumont-sur-Vesle) and 40% Chardonnay (Mesnil, Avize, Cramant). Chef de Caves Jean-Baptiste Lecaillon was especially selective and used only 30 out of the potential 45 plots that are typically available for Cristal. About 32% of the lots were done in oak, the rest in steel, with the malolactic fermentation blocked across the board. Rating : 97+

WS96 Wine Spectator
Exotic hints of tangerine and candied ginger are an enticing entrance for this vivid Champagne, accenting a finely meshed range of ripe green apple and cassis fruit, with rich notes of chopped almond, brioche and lemon curd. An underscoring streak of salinity gains momentum through the mouthwatering finish, echoing as it rides the plushly creamy mousse. This is decadence in a sleek and graceful package. Pinot Noir and Chardonnay. Drink now through 2033.
D96 Decanter
The peak of drinkability is between 15 and 20 years from the harvest; so says Jean-Baptiste, but he has not spared the taster the wondrous early impression of perfection in the making. A soft gold with glistening highlights, like the river meadow at dawn; the nose effortlessly marries a panoply of flavours, the citric grip nodding to hints of passion fruit and Mirabelle plum, with hazelnut and almond signalling the grace of development. Texturally generous, yet tightly wound, taut and flinty yet ripe and open, the wine faithfully underlines the vigneron’s philosophy, every nuance of its template deftly rehearsed and charmingly enacted.
Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 32
  • Thanks 7
  • Haha 4

Good morning from 37 F degrees NW Florida. Skeptics? Well over my 15 years here on CC; I sure have come across a lot of skeptics!

@kazu Continued thoughts and prayers. My goodness lady, enough is enough. Hopefully there will be some positive news for you soon.🙏.

We will be visiting today’s port of call in a couple of years.

Yesterday we received in the mail our new Kardia Mobile EKG medical device. We had bought one for DSIL which revealed she was in atrial fibrillation and maybe saved her life. So we said maybe at our age we should have same capability. Well, it was reassuring to know that our old tickers are beating along just fine. You download the Kardia app place four fingers on small pad and in a minute you have a read Electrocardiogram and peace of mind. Along with regular blood pressure checks another good way to monitor health at home.

Meal of the day sounds great but we are dieting and I’m starting to shed pounds! Graham is your diet working for both of you?

Thanks Rich, Roy and all our readership. Enjoy the day and make a difference by doing an act of kindness for a fellow human being.

Edited by aliaschief
  • Like 34
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, everyone.  

It is supposed to stay warm today, but temps will dip back down starting tomorrow.  Chance of getting dumped on with snow this weekend.  We shall see.  I'm hitting the pool this morning, home for a webinar, and then down to the med school to donate blood.  With a shortage in crisis category and having O negative, I thought it was my duty.

Today's meal sounds tasty!   Unfortunately, the carb count will keep me away.   The first recipe also has tips on how to keep your tortillas from getting soggy.   https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/simple-chicken-enchiladas/

2005959288_chickenenchiladas.jpg.16799f92a540b36c976639720684e6e1.jpg

In this next one, Isabel gives us some tips on making quick, easy, and delicious enchiladas.   https://www.isabeleats.com/red-chicken-enchiladas/

chicken-enchiladas-2020-small-3-650x975.thumb.jpg.19b8edc07a6541f8990962b4af1571c3.jpg

In this next recipe Blair uses black beans and Mexican corn.   Mmmmmm   https://www.theseasonedmom.com/easy-chicken-enchiladas/

Easy-Chicken-Enchiladas-2.thumb.jpg.5a8b5b21aef05ecef3796d58127747a4.jpg

And these just looked so good!    https://www.feastingathome.com/simple-chicken-enchiladas/

enchildadas-verde-5-1024x1536.thumb.jpg.fa68dabecbcf4893790fa0132e0f4680.jpg

Prayers for all who need them, strength for those who need, peace and healing for those who need it.  

Enjoy!

• Like 33
  • Thanks 7

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  I'm not much of a skeptic; if I could make my dreams come true, I'd weigh 110 lbs and have a beautiful singing voice.  That's not about to happen.  LOL  We have an assortment of rubber duckies tucked away and brought out when the DGS's are here.  The quote is so true, one I've used many times during my career. 

We're still wrapped in our "warming trend" with temperatures in the single digits, but this morning we have thick fog.  Hopefully the old wives tale will hold true that 6 months later we'll have rain - July for the crops - so we won't have the drought conditions of last year.  I hope our friends in the East are bundling up against the cold weather that we sent their way and that it will move along quickly.

Two years ago today we were in Nassau for a stop on Nieuw Amsterdam's Eastern Caribbean itinerary.  5 years ago we were in Tampa waiting to board the Oosterdam for a last minute booked 2 week escape from the "frozen tundra".  They both seem like a lifetime ago!

There wasn't a whole lot of sleep last night, as DH had to wear a monitor overnight to see if he has sleep apnea.  I'm envisioning a nap in my future today.  This afternoon we have some running around to do, and will likely not have a lot of time to cook, so I think we'll stop and pick up fish and chips on the way home.  Fish and chips and coleslaw will be what's happening on our dinner table tonight.  And wine.  Tomorrow I might make an omelet.

216106403_GreatOmelette.thumb.jpg.f1332b7a443b1fba16c2809119dc9c21.jpg

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  We'll raise the wine glasses to toast all on the happy list.  Extra prayers for Jacqui, Jose, his medical team, and both Marley and Miko.  Stay safe, wear your masks, be well, wash your hands, get your boosters and keep warm!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 38
  • Haha 9

Good morning, or is it?  Not sure.  LOL  My dream has come true, I'm on a BHB.  Laughing at the rubber ducky, have one in the pool.  I love the quote, it is so true.  Will pass on the meal, do not care for anything spicy.  Thank you @dfishfor the recipes.  Rich and Roy, you are fantastic as usual.   Have not been to today's port.

@kazuI'm with @Seasick SailorI would be up to help you in minute if I could.  Major prayers and virtual hugs for all in your household.  My Bailey sends meow's to Marley land Miko.  @Seasick SailorI hope Allan is ok.

Everyone stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

Cruzan  Cider Punch:

Ingredients
1/2 cups
Cruzan® Aged Dark Rum
8 cups
Apple Cider
4 cups
Orange Juice
1 cup
Spiced syrup*
Garnish: Cinnamon Sticks,
Apple Slices

Instructions
Begin by making a spiced syrup: combine sugar, water, cinnamon sticks, and allspice in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir until sugar is dissolved then remove from heat and let cool.
 Once the spiced syrup has cooled, strain out the cinnamon sticks and allspice. Pour the syrup into a large pitcher with the rum, apple cider, and orange juice. Stir the ingredients together and refrigerate the pitcher for at least 2 hours.
 When ready, serve in a cocktail glass over ice and garnish with cinnamon or apple slices.
 Serves 10-12
 *For Spiced Syrup: 1 cup Water, 1 cup Sugar, 4 Cinnamon Sticks, Halved 4 Whole Allspice

Screen Shot 2022-01-13 at 8.22.17 AM.png

Edited by summer slope
  • Like 28
  • Thanks 7

Good morning everyone. If dreams could come true I would be very excited. Snow storm expected Sunday night. I have only one pair of boots because I used to spend winters in Florida and they are tight. The podiatrist office offered to stretch them over the weekend but with 3 to 6 inches of snow on the ground I’ll need them

Roy, I must have missed something, but I keep reading you are having after effects from the radiation. I hope you recover from that soon. I was extremely lucky 6 years ago when I had breast cancer and the Canadian protcol for radiation which was three weeks and a day. I managed to get away with no after effects.

Continued prayers for all who need them. 
Stay safe everyone,

Carol

• Like 30
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

Good morning from 37 F degrees NW Florida. Skeptics? Well over my 15 years here on CC; I sure have come across a lot of skeptics!

@kazu Continued thoughts and prayers. My goodness lady, enough is enough. Hopefully there will be some positive news for you soon.🙏.

We will be visiting today’s port of call in a couple of years.

Yesterday we received in the mail our new Kardia Mobile EKG medical device. We had bought one for DSIL which revealed she was in atrial fibrillation and maybe saved her life. So we said maybe at our age we should have same capability. Well, it was reassuring to know that our old tickers are beating along just fine. You download the Kardia app place four fingers on small pad and in a minute you have a read Electrocardiogram and peace of mind. Along with regular blood pressure checks another good way to monitor health at home.

Meal of the day sounds great but we are dieting and I’m starting to shed pounds! Graham is your diet working for both of you?

Thanks Rich, Roy and all our readership. Enjoy the day and make a difference by doing an act of kindness for a fellow human being.

Thank you for asking.

I have shed 7lb Pauline about 3lb.

Graham.

• Like 27

Good morning, Friends. Thank you for the Daily, the Lists and the Recipes.

An interesting collection of days. Whenever I am on a cruise ship my dreams come true.

The quote is very true and the meal sounds good.

Feeling okay this morning. Sorry if this is TMI...I ended up making several trips to the bathroom yesterday which took a lot of the energy I had. Hopefully whatever this is will be done today.

The sky is absolutely beautiful this morning, different shades of blue with white clouds scattered about. It is 38F and warming to 54 today. We better get out today and tomorrow since now both Saturday and Sunday are supposed to be full of rain and snow. In fact the temperature right now is higher than our predicted high for the weekend. I'm starting to think, like @aliaschief, that we didn't go far enough south.

south.

@StLouisCruisers I hope your DD is doing well this morning.

@kazu wishing you a better day today and sending lots of hugs and prayers.

Have a wonderful day.

🙏 and 🎉 for those on our lists.

• Like 34

Good morning  everyone. We have a day of warmer temperatures  before the cold and projected snow return this weekend. I promised  both dogs a long walk as it is 33 already.It is an interesting  collection  of days and I especially  like the make your dreams come true day.

@dfish,Debbie,the recipes all look so good today,thank so much.I think I will make one dish  vegetarian  in order to maintain  group happiness.

We are encouraged  by the news that our Tana  has transitioned from  high flow oxygen to  conventional oxygen. It is a step in the right direction  .

@StLouisCruisers,Sandi.I hope your DD had a good night last night. Sending prayers for healing for her.

@kazu,Jacqui,I am praying  that things start to improve soon on all fronts.

Terry

• Like 32

12 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  I'm not much of a skeptic; if I could make my dreams come true, I'd weigh 110 lbs and have a beautiful singing voice.  That's not about to happen.  LOL  We have an assortment of rubber duckies tucked away and brought out when the DGS's are here.  The quote is so true, one I've used many times during my career. 

We're still wrapped in our "warming trend" with temperatures in the single digits, but this morning we have thick fog.  Hopefully the old wives tale will hold true that 6 months later we'll have rain - July for the crops - so we won't have the drought conditions of last year.  I hope our friends in the East are bundling up against the cold weather that we sent their way and that it will move along quickly.

Two years ago today we were in Nassau for a stop on Nieuw Amsterdam's Eastern Caribbean itinerary.  5 years ago we were in Tampa waiting to board the Oosterdam for a last minute booked 2 week escape from the "frozen tundra".  They both seem like a lifetime ago!

There wasn't a whole lot of sleep last night, as DH had to wear a monitor overnight to see if he has sleep apnea.  I'm envisioning a nap in my future today.  This afternoon we have some running around to do, and will likely not have a lot of time to cook, so I think we'll stop and pick up fish and chips on the way home.  Fish and chips and coleslaw will be what's happening on our dinner table tonight.  And wine.  Tomorrow I might make an omelet.

216106403_GreatOmelette.thumb.jpg.f1332b7a443b1fba16c2809119dc9c21.jpg

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  We'll raise the wine glasses to toast all on the happy list.  Extra prayers for Jacqui, Jose, his medical team, and both Marley and Miko.  Stay safe, wear your masks, be well, wash your hands, get your boosters and keep warm!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

I hope your husband's sleep monitor gave the right results you wanted last night Gerry.

Fish and chips sounds good.

Graham.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

I guess your prayers, and mine were answered.  I have just been added to the largest of all the campaigns!  And starting at the beginning of the campaign, and it's a 5 month contract.  Not sure if I'll be on for the full 5 months, as I do belong in the Dayton campaign.  And I work for the east coast callers.  And once again, this is west coast, so my afternoons are going to be busy.  And I can pay for my vacation this year, and maybe book those Alaska excursions for next year.  I do know that I also need to take care of myself, and keep my stress level down right now , so I will take Fridays off.  And Sundays.

DH did not get called for this campaign, so he booked his flight to go see his step mom.  At first he said he would be gone for three days, but he ended up making his visit longer.  He can visit with his brother, nieces, nephews etc. too.

I love the quote for many reasons.

I will miss the library photos, but I do feel sorry for Max...LOL.

The Dailyites are a permanent part of my gratitude list.  I always start with roof over my head, and a meal, but you guys fill my soul, so it's now,- I am grateful for the roof over my head, and the Dailyites,  food on the table, DH and the cats.

Have a wonderful day!

• Like 35

13 minutes ago, mamaofami said:

Roy, I must have missed something, but I keep reading you are having after effects from the radiation. I hope you recover from that soon. I was extremely lucky 6 years ago when I had breast cancer and the Canadian protcol for radiation which was three weeks and a day. I managed to get away with no after effects.

Continued prayers for all who need them. 

Generally I feel good but have continuing fatigue and lethargy in the evening.  I am usually pretty worthless after about 7 to 8 PM.

Roy

• Like 16
  • Thanks 7