Viking Venus Guarantee on Deck 4 or 8012 /8015 on Deck 8 what would you choose ?

phillipahain

8 minutes ago, phillipahain said:

Obviously no idea what one gets on a guarantee but whats the deal with 8012 or 8015     are they under pool machinery or something ? 

Don't think they are under anything at all - a portion of the sports deck which is rarely used.  Once i discovered acess to that hallway from the upper Explorers Lounge, i would use it to get to the elevators when i was up there instead of walking down the stairs and through the lower Explorers Lounge.  It has to be the quietest hallway on the ship.  Now on Deck 4, you could be right over tenders and it could be noisy in the morning if they launch them.  But other then those cabins at or forward of the lifts/stairs on Deck 4, it is quiet as you only have cabins above and below you.

Cabins 8012 & 8015 are two of the 4 DV1 cabins up on Dk 8. The equivalent cabins on Deck 4 are 4122/4123. These are DV1 and are the same size as all DV & V cabins. The Dk 8 cabins have the Dk 9 sports deck above, but that is rarely used early morning.

Higher deck cabins or aft cabins have their pros & cons, which vary with the sea state and the ship's speed. From a view perspective, the aft cabins have a great panoramic view, while Dk 8 cabin see further.

• Like 1

We are now on Orion in 8016 and love the location! So close to the Explorers Lounge and also to the Star Theatre right under on deck 2.  Very short stroll to pool and pool grill and just outside our door is the open walk on deck 8. Nice for evening stargazing. Very quiet! 

• Like 1

I agree with Andy.  Ship dynamics mean anyone higher up will have exaggerated perceptions of any motion.  For the most part Viking Captains change course to minimize discomfort as much as possible.  If I could have any cabin I wanted on Viking ships I would choose an Explorer Suite aft on 4 or 5 deck.  The Lottery Fairy can't avoid me forever can she???🍺

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

I agree with Andy.  Ship dynamics mean anyone higher up will have exaggerated perceptions of any motion.  For the most part Viking Captains change course to minimize discomfort as much as possible.  If I could have any cabin I wanted on Viking ships I would choose an Explorer Suite aft on 4 or 5 deck.  The Lottery Fairy can't avoid me forever can she???🍺

OMGOSH,  we were SO tempted to book one of these years ago, but decided on a PV.  Take the eight !

We love deck 8 and try to grab it when it is available. As Hockeyump said, sometimes that is 2 years ahead. I have had very bad motion sickness since I was 5 — at the ripe old age of old I now appreciate what my parents went through 🤮. So on our first cruise we had 8001 and I was really, really, really nervous about that. So nervous that I consulted my doctor. I received a lot of advice, no scripts and cruising since then has been so great that I was able to send my friends a video of us eating in Manfredis, by the window in ? foot waves (the wives get larger the more I tell the story 😊). Deck 8, close to the Explorer Lounge is really nice. Having said that, deck 8 wasn’t available on our cruise in May, so we booked a PV on 5 and we are looking forward to that because we think we will use different venues on the ship more than we did on previous cruises. The Explorers Lounge is an easy place to get used to, especially when it is right outside your door. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, photomom5 said:

We love this deck. Quiet, close to the Explorer’s Lounge and we do not mind the extra motion. 

Never heard of any extra motion in any of the cabins, but me as well - I love when the cabin is located in a quite place, far from all the atractions, cafes and people (including routes to bars). I am sure the cabin was great 

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

So I just happened to change to 8012 from 5009 (so DV1 from PV2) - seems I was lucky it was available! My partner really wanted port side hence the change (and there was no PV's available port side).

We have been on 8 twice and loved it ... but ... there is definitely more motion the higher you go and we experienced it firsthand on a winter cruise (Journey to Antiquities).  We left our cabin and hung out on decks 1 and 2 for a good part of the day.  Another thing to keep in mind that deck 8 (and 7 too, for that matter) has no laundry room.  If you wish to do laundry (I don't think the "free laundry" applies to the DV cabins on these floors) you will have to go down to deck six (or lower) to do you own laundry.

19 hours ago, THR said:

So I just happened to change to 8012 from 5009 (so DV1 from PV2) - seems I was lucky it was available! My partner really wanted port side hence the change (and there was no PV's available port side).

We really like deck 8. An added bonus is that it’s close to the Explore’s Lounge — a favourite hang out. 

2 hours ago, millybess said:

We really like deck 8. An added bonus is that it’s close to the Explore’s Lounge — a favourite hang out. 

We were in 8017, which is just forward of the swimming pool roof; we loved it, wish we could have a PV for every cruise...