Jump to content

bucket list cruise destinations


Recommended Posts

Gday Guys,

 

Its not looking good for my Xmas cruise to NZ, but i will remain hopeful.

might as well talk about cruising.

below are the top 3 future cruise destinations for me.

 

we have done 6 cruises to South Pacific & NZ

 

Alaska

Caribbean

Mediterranean

 

Interested to hear from experienced cruises for other options, I know there is plenty

Cheers
Craig

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We have a few cruises booked - South Pacific, Tas and NZ, however, the one that is on my bucket list, is the world cruise in 2023. I hope it goes ahead after the several cancellations we have had. The main attractions for me on this itinerary are Iceland and Greenland (first time for me) and a chance to go back to Petra in Jordan.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Antarctica, plus Falkland Islands (3), plus South Georgia.  This cruise met my dream wish list. 

I also went on a cruise to Antarctica, Falklands and South Georgia. It was on my bucket list for years and exceeded my expectations.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Cunard Tasmania/NZ Xmas/NY this December. This is a bucket list cruise not for the ports but because we've always wanted to cruise on Cunard.

 

Princess Round Australia October 2023 is next. This one has been on our bucket list for a few years. Again not necessarily for the ports but for the satisfaction of cruising right around Australia.

 

But the big one is the Princess 2024 World Cruise. Partly ports, especially Aqaba(Petra), the Baltic, and Iceland, but also for the thrill of cruising right around the world.

 

We have all those cruises booked and budgeted.

 

I'd love to do an Alaska cruise one day too but we're not handling long distance air travel as well as we used to when we were younger so that may just have to stay a dream.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Cunard Tasmania/NZ Xmas/NY this December. This is a bucket list cruise not for the ports but because we've always wanted to cruise on Cunard.

 

Princess Round Australia October 2023 is next. This one has been on our bucket list for a few years. Again not necessarily for the ports but for the satisfaction of cruising right around Australia.

 

But the big one is the Princess 2024 World Cruise. Partly ports, especially Aqaba(Petra), the Baltic, and Iceland, but also for the thrill of cruising right around the world.

 

We have all those cruises booked and budgeted.

 

I'd love to do an Alaska cruise one day too but we're not handling long distance air travel as well as we used to when we were younger so that may just have to stay a dream.

Wow that is an impressive cruise card you have!  I had a friend who used to cruise overseas every year.  When the long haul flights got too much for him, he did a round Australia cruise.  He absolutely loved it.  He made friends with a family in Sydney who he used to visit whenever he went to Sydney.

Prior to Covid, I travelled overseas each year to London, flying long haul business class on affordable Eva Air.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Long haul gets harder as we get older. My last long haul was coming back from Miami after a 21 day Trans Atlantic on MSC. Fifteen and a half hours from Miami to Doha with Qatar Airlines. Two hour transit in Doha then another fifteen and a half hours to Squidley. I'm glad I got a great deal on business class for that trip, it turned what could have been an ordeal into a very pleasant experience. I can highly recommend Qatar Business class.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Wow that is an impressive cruise card you have!  I had a friend who used to cruise overseas every year.  When the long haul flights got too much for him, he did a round Australia cruise.  He absolutely loved it.  He made friends with a family in Sydney who he used to visit whenever he went to Sydney.

Prior to Covid, I travelled overseas each year to London, flying long haul business class on affordable Eva Air.  

We completely rearranged our cruise schedule late last year to prioritise cruises we really wanted to tick off. We were very lucky to get a cabin on the 2024 World Cruise and to switch to the Oct 2023 Round Australia - we'd been moved to a 2024 one but that would have clashed with the World Cruise. We're hoping to get those bucket list cruises done before we get too old to really enjoy them.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, lyndarra said:

Long haul gets harder as we get older. My last long haul was coming back from Miami after a 21 day Trans Atlantic on MSC. Fifteen and a half hours from Miami to Doha with Qatar Airlines. Two hour transit in Doha then another fifteen and a half hours to Squidley. I'm glad I got a great deal on business class for that trip, it turned what could have been an ordeal into a very pleasant experience. I can highly recommend Qatar Business class.

If Covid hadn't happened we would have been going to Europe business class with China Airlines, via Taiwan, in 2020 for a Western Europe cruise. I doubt we'll get a chance to do something like that in the future unfortunately. 😪

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm starting to book things around the 2 cruises we have booked this year. I hate long-haul - but rather than pay through the nose for business class we break it up - so are flying to SF via 4 days in  Hawaii and on the way back may break the trip from Singapore in Oz.  

 

Basically we are spending all the money we haven't the last couple of years for 4 months out of the country. Might do the same next year too  - this year will knock off both canals and 6 weeks in the Balkans (not cruising). Next year may look at Russia and the Baltics and Greenland/Iceland and New England in the fall - I can see that being another 4 months out of NZ 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We were meant to be cruising Antarctica from NZ now, we are on the wait list for when the 2024 cruises are released, weve previously done Antarctica from Ushuaia.

We have Galapagos booked also but will likely push that out a year or two.

We have booked the Northeast passage from Tromso to Alaska for August, although not convinced there is much of a chance.

Have had Egypt and Jordan trip cancelled in 2020 and the Kimberleys in 2021, so want to plan those as well.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We are all so lucky we can have a bucket list that is generally fulfilled, just unfortunate at the moment a pandemic has put a spanner in the works.  A trip still on my bucket list, but one I would not feel safe doing for some time yet if at all, is a boat cruise from Cairo (which I have previously visited) to Abu Simbel on the Nile, stopping at tourist sites on the way.   I have found one which is about $5000 for 3 weeks (Egyptian content only) with an Egyptian archaeologist.   Would so love to do it.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, portcbob said:

Have 28 nighter Brisbane to Brisbane around Aussie booked on Princess for October however the way things are shaping up its extremely doubtful 

Might make a play for Alaska 2023 if it doesn't go.

I have 3 booked for the next Australian season and I doubt they will happen.

If I knew for sure I scrap them and start booking overseas.

 I think the U.S is the best option for us at the moment. From what I can work out it’s just a pre flight and pre cruise test and that’s it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I honestly think our cruising days are over, and overseas travel is even less likely. 
 

The first cruise to go on our bucket list went on straight after our first cruise. Our first was a short Tasmania trip, the bucket was a circumnavigation of Aus, 10 years later it was crossed off.

 

A world cruise was next on our list and it looks like it will remain there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

I have 3 booked for the next Australian season and I doubt they will happen.

If I knew for sure I scrap them and start booking overseas.

 I think the U.S is the best option for us at the moment. From what I can work out it’s just a pre flight and pre cruise test and that’s it.

I don't agree, I think the 2022/23 Aust season may happen and locally is all I want to travel for the present.  Who would have thought that we would be allowed to holiday in Qld by now with no border problems and covid testing scrapped - thank you Anna and I hope the locals are not too annoyed.    She also said she hopes internationals will return in April???  There is hope!!!!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Rassa said:

I don't agree, I think the 2022/23 Aust season may happen and locally is all I want to travel for the present.  Who would have thought that we would be allowed to holiday in Qld by now with no border problems and covid testing scrapped - thank you Anna and I hope the locals are not too annoyed.    She also said she hopes internationals will return in April???  There is hope!!!!

There is hope Rassa but we thought 2 years ago it would be a short purse.

Our leaders seem to have it there mind that we need to be protected from these cruise ships.
As In Rod we trust called them `floating diseased infested garbage cans’

Hey, look at the mess with this tennis player, he’s a threat to the general public. 
I hope you’re right.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Europe, Europe, Europe [Mediterranean; Northern Europe & Scandinavia; British Isles], however it's the long flights that I am wary of, so it will be close to home for quite a while yet.

Several of you mention world cruise, which could make a good seperate topic, especially to hear from those who have done one, for opinions, pros and cons.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We are heavily booked for travel over the next two years, both in Oz and overseas. About 9 coach/driving tours and 12 cruises. The cruises range from a 4 night Murray River cruise to 20 days on Azamara in Western Africa. 

I have no idea how many will go ahead though. 

Our first overseas trip is to Japan in October for a Celebrity Solstice cruise, fingers crossed they let us in. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

As you see from my signature, done just about all the world since my retirement in 2003.  These days solo traveller and not cost effective to pay the big money out, plus health issues.

 

So I am almost sure my cruising career is over, glad I retired early and my late wife and I could travel the world inc Australia doing the cruising and land travel.

 

I sometimes wonder what I am still doing on CC, being a retired cruiser but I enjoy the banter.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

I have 3 booked for the next Australian season and I doubt they will happen.

If I knew for sure I scrap them and start booking overseas.

 I think the U.S is the best option for us at the moment. From what I can work out it’s just a pre flight and pre cruise test and that’s it.

Maybe your right.👍

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, NSWP said:

As you see from my signature, done just about all the world since my retirement in 2003.  These days solo traveller and not cost effective to pay the big money out, plus health issues.

 

So I am almost sure my cruising career is over, glad I retired early and my late wife and I could travel the world inc Australia doing the cruising and land travel.

 

I sometimes wonder what I am still doing on CC, being a retired cruiser but I enjoy the banter.

Same here mate. Retired from the job ( police ) in 2003. Luv cruising mate but now so frustrated with it all. 👍

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: AmaWaterways - Journey Through Europe
      • ICYMI Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Q&A with Silversea Cruises
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...