Cruise lines with best food

saltyesty

3 hours ago, CruzinMermaid said:

There are six specialty restaurants (The Wake, Test Kitchen, Pink Agave, Gunbae, Extra Virgin, and Razzle Dazzle), none has a cover and all are creative, excellent, 

Thanks for your comments.  I know next to nothing about Virgin Cruises.

1 hour ago, baelor said:

he menus on VV certainly look better quality and more refined/thoughtful than the menus on most other cruise ships.

Are the sample menus available on their web site?  

• 2 weeks later...

I think this is subjective to general buffet vs specialty restaurants or even suites. We just stayed in the Haven on NCL which has a designated restaurant. We loved all the meals. We did venture out to some of the other eateries which were certainly not as good as in the Haven

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

To be fair we should be comparing Main Dining Rooms unless the specialty restaurants are not additional (like on Oceania).  We have only tried 7 cruiselines with Oceania as my favorite.  Princess and Celebrity would be second.  Holland America would be third.  Royal Caribbean, Costa, and Carnival would be last.  The Executive Chef on each ship will determine how variable will be the food.  Even on Oceania, you have variability where you can honestly say, is Oceania really the best?  In the near future I will have an Azamara cruise this September and Windstar cruise in April under my belt.  Windstar supposedly is competitor to Oceania, we will see.  Even Oceania is not across the belt top-notch - they make pretty ordinary pizza (pizza ovens on their small ships are outdated) and runny milkshakes (I think it is due to the ice cream kept at too warm of a temperature) - no problem with brain freeze with their milkshakes.

• Thanks 1

On 6/30/2022 at 4:07 PM, deadzone1003 said:

The Executive Chef on each ship will determine how variable will be the food.  Even on Oceania, you have variability where you can honestly say, is Oceania really the best?

In my opinion, you are correct in believing that the ship's Executive Chef is a major determining factor in the cuisine that a guest experiences.  That fact is one reason why which cruise line is "the best" for food is very difficult/impossible to determine.  Some on CC like to know in advance of their cruise (or before they book) who the Master, the HD, the CD will be on their cruise.  Rarely, is the question asked who will be the Executive Chef.  

Hi,

I have sailed P&O, HAL and Celebrity and I have to say they were all good, maybe HAL just slightly ahead, I think you are always going to get 1 bad meal😀. We are on Emerald Princess in March 2023 and have never sailed with them so I hope the food is good.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/6/2022 at 5:22 PM, florence11 said:

We are on Emerald Princess in March 2023 and have never sailed with them so I hope the food is good.

It will depend, again, on who is the Executive Chef.  But, I have enjoyed more good dinners than not.  Fettuccine Alfredo is a specialty and, when it is done well, it is better than what I ate in Rome.  

Alfredo's is a new pizza type cafe that has appeared on the Royal Class ships, but has appeared as "pop-ups" on the others.  (Don't know what Emerald Princess offers, but, it is not a Royal Class ship.)  It's excellent and there are more offerings other than pizza.  Sabatini will be available and my dinners there have been consistently excellent.  

Princess' MDR Breakfast has offered some daily specials that are good.  Their basic menu provides good choices.  A starter that is not often found on cruise ship breakfast menus is an apple choice:  baked or stewed.  Delicious!  

Then, there are the Breadsticks!  Their other breads are good as well.  

From a culinary view, you have much to which to anticipate, I think.  

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/16/2022 at 8:12 PM, lenquixote66 said:

We have cruised on 6 different cruise lines.In my opinion the best food is on Cunard.

As a guest in the Tables of the World Restaurant on a QE2 TA in 1980 and as a Britannia Restaurant guest on QM2 during a Caribbean cruise around 2004, the menu selections and preparation did not match I had experienced before or after those cruises.  My meals were good.  (Except for the sailing day lunch when I ordered Entrecote (it was on the menu) and I was served Beef Liver.  When I protested, my Steward told me "that's what Entrecote is".)

Recent YC dinner menus have been posted on the MSC Message Board.  I very recently read some Grill Menus for PG on the Cunard Message Board.  They did not well compare in my opinion.  Good selections on the PG menu, to be sure, but MSC's menu was more appealing to me.  

BkylynBoy8, I know that you will be soon sailing on QM2 and I look forward to your reading your thoughts.  

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

BklynBoy8, I know that you will be soon sailing on QM2 and I look forward to your reading your thoughts.  

We to sailed on the QE2 and had the opportunity to experience every restaurant on board (Queens, Princess, Britannia, Tables of the World, Columbia and Caronia). Some of the restaurants names did not at the end her sailing history. But we were always happy to experience the different cuisines over the extensive decades of sailing. The food styles also changed with the different type of sailings. Caribbean, Norway, TA, Panama Canal, NE/Canada brought different products from those areas.

We now thru a Upgrade will experience Princess Grill for the first time on the QM2. We have looked over about 3 dozens menus found from different sailing on the internet. We are so delighted to see the contents from Breakfast to Dinner w the additional A La Carte Menu. Besides we can special request additional items to be made. Flambe Table will be active with tableside preps beside desserts.

I we very happy and look forward to the many dishes that are going to be offered. We will also go to the other alternative like Carinthia and Golden Lion Pub. We will attempt to report or possible copy the menus if not given to us.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

We now thru a Upgrade will experience Princess Grill for the first time on the QM2. We have looked over about 3 dozens menus found from different sailing on the internet. We are so delighted to see the contents from Breakfast to Dinner w the additional A La Carte Menu. Besides we can special request additional items to be made. Flambe Table will be active with tableside preps beside desserts.

Congratulations for receiving an upgrade!  You are very fortunate!  

The PG ala carte menu was more appealing to me than the other menus that I have seen.  Particularly, the entrees for two.  I asked about could such items be ordered for a solo dinner on the Cunard Board and learned that the entire entree for two would be served when requested for only one.  Pictures that I saw (i.e. Beef Wellington):  even when I could eat much, I don't know that I could have consumed the entire thing.  Too much waste!  

Golden Lion Pub.

Their Pub Lunches were excellent when I sailed on QM2.  

We will attempt to report or possible copy the menus if not given to us.

That would be most appreciated.  Try to remember to provide some commentary on the Tea Service.  As you are aware, some discussion on the Cunard Board about Tea in the Grills as compared to Tea in the Queen's Room.  I think having Tea in your suite might be an interesting experience.  

8 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Congratulations for receiving an upgrade!  You are very fortunate!  

The PG ala carte menu was more appealing to me than the other menus that I have seen.  Particularly, the entrees for two.  I asked about could such items be ordered for a solo dinner on the Cunard Board and learned that the entire entree for two would be served when requested for only one.  Pictures that I saw (i.e. Beef Wellington):  even when I could eat much, I don't know that I could have consumed the entire thing.  Too much waste!  

On 8/21/2022 at 11:59 PM, BklynBoy8 said:

Golden Lion Pub.

Their Pub Lunches were excellent when I sailed on QM2.  

On 8/21/2022 at 11:59 PM, BklynBoy8 said:

We will attempt to report or possible copy the menus if not given to us.

That would be most appreciated.  Try to remember to provide some commentary on the Tea Service.  As you are aware, some discussion on the Cunard Board about Tea in the Grills as compared to Tea in the Queen's Room.  I think having Tea in your suite might be an interesting experience.  

rka,

We always visit the Pub once or twice during a sailing and will have more opportunities this time. F&C and a Brew are always a welcome dish. F&C are not the same in the restaurant at lunch.

We have experience those menus alright in some form during our stay in the Britannia Club. Their A La Carte Menu was something we looked forward to during our stay. We'll see this one this time.

I know I heard of of a case of someone ordered a BW and the other mate something else. When it came BW it was 2 1/2 the size for one person. I don't like food and been careful ordering the items.

I will attempt to collect menus if possible or photos I am able to with disturbing the Dining Room.

I have in the past ran a Live On Board but have to see how the internet connection is. If bad I will not waste time even though I have alot for diamond level. Have to see what I won't know till on board.

We are expecting to attend each of the Afternoon Teas since each has it's own atmosphere. I expect Grill Lounge to be quiet with some life. Grill Terrace should be lively with music from the lower pool area. Queen Room has it own style and atmosphere with music, dance and etc......

• Like 1

Recently, I've only cruised with Celebrity. I went on one 2-week cruise ages ago with HAL - thoughts on that, though it was ages ago: their buffet was decent, the poolside burgers were fantastic, the appetizers and entrees at the MDR were fantastic, desserts at the MDR (and buffet) were lackluster by comparison (though the MDR did serve a great cheese course, which I enjoyed doing as a "dessert"). If I recall, they also had a pretty solid breakfast in the MDR some days. The one upgraded dinner we tried, their steakhouse, was legitimately one of the best meals we've had, anywhere. The one upgraded lunch we tried, at their pan-Asian restaurant, was also quite good. I'd love to go on another HAL cruise sometime, though, that was ages ago!

By comparison, Celebrity: also has a pretty decent buffet, again, nothing to write home about for the most part (funny enough, the Indian food, especially the Indian food at breakfast, were the surprise winners.) Poolside burgers are just burgers. Appetizers and entrees at the MDR also quite good, desserts at the MDR also quite good (though funny enough, a much more lackluster cheese course!). Breakfast at the MDR just a boring subset of the same food at the buffet. We've only tried one upgraded dinner restaurant, Tuscan Grille (fancy Italian pasta and steak), but it's been consistently so good, we've done it one night on every cruise we've been on with them (so three times so far 😄). Again, legitimately some of the best food we've had. I also tried their sushi (a la carte) for lunch last cruise, it was... mediocre. 

Edited by neminem
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, neminem said:

Tuscan Grille (fancy Italian pasta and steak), but it's been consistently so good,

On Celebrity Eclipse, I had one lunch and one dinner in the Tuscan Grille and they were both excellent.  One dinner in Murano which was good, but pretentious in the service that I received.  

The ship's type of serving stations in the Buffet scattered "here and there" was the first that I had experienced of that type.  Did not care for it then.  Experienced this type of needing to forage for food on Royal Princess and still did not like that.  HAL's buffet set up is much more what I like.  

8 hours ago, neminem said:

The one upgraded dinner we tried, their steakhouse, was legitimately one of the best meals we've had, anywhere. The one upgraded lunch we tried, at their pan-Asian restaurant, was also quite good.

My PG experience has been very inconsistent.  Sometimes worth the money; sometimes disappointing.  The restaurant's Chef and the PG Manager makes the difference, I think.  Tamarind?  Good, consistently.  If you sail on a HAL ship again and Rudi's Sel de Mer stand alone venue is available or a pop-up in the PG, I encourage you to try that.  It has been consistently excellent on all of the ships that offer it.  

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

We have sailed Carnival and then with Disney four times.  The food on Disney was very good but actually desserts at night at dinner each time have been disappointing. Plus we said in Oct 22 on new Disney Dream and the overall food experience was very subpar. The service on this ship overall was bad. We had to wait 2 or more hours every night at dinner from the time we were seated and our drink order was taken until we received our dessert. This ship was definitely not up to Disney’s standards.